Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-16, 07:28 AM   #1
Kanepashi
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Decision on road bikes

Well after reading a lot,i decided in 2 bikes for my weight.

Giant defy 1

The pics show a lot of spocks on the back wheel, also shimano 105 which is what everyone talks about.

Giant anyroad 1
This one i am on the fence because its an allround bike, which you cant go wrong. But looks like a mountain bike, which is not bad at all i love adventuring and stuff so its not bad to be able to go out to trails to.

I am a sped junky and i like going fast, that say my question is if the anyroad can catch up whit a road bike. Let say i lose weight get to 220 and put slicks on the bike. Could i go against the 180lbs roadies?
Kanepashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 07:32 AM   #2
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,660
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Road bike for Speed.

Bike riding will make you hungry.
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 07:59 AM   #3
Kanepashi
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Tell me abt it, i am at 280 now and been losing a lb per week. I do a lot of endurance training like old school, ex hitting tractor tire whit a sledge hammer on each hand etc, then riding my bike for miles. My legs gotten thiner but bigger much bigger. Loving it. Anyways this week i am going to talk to the lbs for a giant defy 1 on a trek store, they have giant bikes last time i went. Check the bike ride it if i can. Very excited.
Kanepashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 08:08 AM   #4
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,660
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanepashi View Post
Tell me abt it, i am at 280 now and been losing a lb per week. I do a lot of endurance training like old school, ex hitting tractor tire whit a sledge hammer on each hand etc, then riding my bike for miles. My legs gotten thiner but bigger much bigger. Loving it. Anyways this week i am going to talk to the lbs for a giant defy 1 on a trek store, they have giant bikes last time i went. Check the bike ride it if i can. Very excited.
Recommend 36 Spoke Wheels
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 08:27 AM   #5
dr_lha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central PA
Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 2013 Diamondback Steilacoom RCX (rebuilt), 1998 Specialized Rockhopper
Posts: 4,353
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Get the road bike if you plan to ride mostly on pavement. If nothing else, having a road bike will give you a reason to N+1.
dr_lha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 08:38 AM   #6
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Bikes: '14 Trek 1.1, '10 Fuji Finest 3.0, '98 Cannondale R500, '88 Trek 360
Posts: 5,021
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanepashi View Post
....... Could i go against the 180lbs roadies?
Maybe. But if your riding the roads, streets, or bike paths... don't expect to race. Most bike paths encourage a speed limit (20mph). You should be able to get there soon (maybe even now). How long you can ride at that speed is a question of endurance, training, and fitness. I've seen some pretty big guys ride pretty fast.

But normally... as you get lighter and fitter.. you'll also get faster. Maybe later you'll want to revisit the road bike idea.
Dave Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 10:14 AM   #7
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanepashi View Post
Well after reading a lot,i decided in 2 bikes for my weight.

Giant defy 1

The pics show a lot of spocks on the back wheel, also shimano 105 which is what everyone talks about.

Giant anyroad 1
This one i am on the fence because its an allround bike, which you cant go wrong. But looks like a mountain bike, which is not bad at all i love adventuring and stuff so its not bad to be able to go out to trails to.

I am a sped junky and i like going fast, that say my question is if the anyroad can catch up whit a road bike. Let say i lose weight get to 220 and put slicks on the bike. Could i go against the 180lbs roadies?
How fast you can be is really mostly about genetics, if you have really good genetics and train properly you will IMHO on level ground be able to keep up with them pretty good, if you are FOLLOWING them they might get smart and pick a more hilly road, or make a lot of 90 degree turns so their ability to accelerate from 0-20+ MPH will make your extra 40 lbs a real detriment :-).

But only a very rare person can be as fast as the truly fast, but unless you try riding and training some, you will never know :-). I read somewhere where some people with the genetic potential to be some of the fastest bicyclists who ever lived, are sitting on a couch washing cheetos down with Budwieser and watching Honey BooBoo :-).

Bill
Willbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 11:02 AM   #8
ptempel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Joisey
Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, Orbea Orca (1st gen), Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanepashi View Post
Well after reading a lot,i decided in 2 bikes for my weight.
Giant defy 1
The pics show a lot of spocks on the back wheel, also shimano 105 which is what everyone talks about.

Giant anyroad 1
This one i am on the fence because its an allround bike, which you cant go wrong. But looks like a mountain bike, which is not bad at all i love adventuring and stuff so its not bad to be able to go out to trails to.
Take them both out for a test ride and see which speaks to you? But I agree with the others in that if you will be riding on the road mostly, then get a road bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanepashi View Post
I am a sped junky and i like going fast, that say my question is if the anyroad can catch up whit a road bike. Let say i lose weight get to 220 and put slicks on the bike. Could i go against the 180lbs roadies?
Depends greatly on your and the 180lb rider's fitness. If you are 220 after a fair bit of riding (10 hrs a week or more), feel comfortable on the hills, feel generally strong on the rollers and/or can push a bigger gear when needed, then I can't see why you couldn't keep up with lighter riders. But if the lighter rider is an ex-pro domestique that still races some masters races, then all bets are off. Seriously, just worry about staying on the bike and being consistent with it. I experienced a big improvement just by commuting with my road bikes every weekday year round for that last three years. Also have a decent hill in the commute to not let me forget what climbing is...
ptempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 11:26 AM   #9
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Bikes: 2014 KHS CX100
Posts: 1,468
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
There will be virtually no difference in speed between those two bikes. The Anyroad has that aesthetically-questionable curvy top tube so the standover is shorter, but the specs for top tube length are with a quarter inch, and the wheelbase on the Anyroad is about half an inch longer than the Defy (to fit wider/taller tires.) Weight will be within 2-3lbs even at the bigger sizes. Wheels on the Anyroad far more Clyde-friendly. So even though I don't care for the visual of the Anyroad, ability to run a wider tire is of paramount importance to me, so it would win on that account. Also, perhaps just me, but the D-Fuse seatpost on the Defy is a strike against-- I'm okay with proprietary bits here and there, but not the seatpost. Dealbreaker.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 11:53 AM   #10
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanepashi View Post
Well after reading a lot,i decided in 2 bikes for my weight.

Giant defy 1

The pics show a lot of spocks on the back wheel, also shimano 105 which is what everyone talks about.

Giant anyroad 1
This one i am on the fence because its an allround bike, which you cant go wrong. But looks like a mountain bike, which is not bad at all i love adventuring and stuff so its not bad to be able to go out to trails to.

I am a sped junky and i like going fast, that say my question is if the anyroad can catch up whit a road bike. Let say i lose weight get to 220 and put slicks on the bike. Could i go against the 180lbs roadies?
Interesting hypothetical. Buy the bike you like riding best, and let the chips fall where they may. I will say this, though. You might be steadily losing weight now, but where will you be cycling wise and weight wise a year, or two from now? That is up to you, your diet, your training, and your genetics.
MRT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 12:24 PM   #11
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,465
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanepashi View Post

I am a sped junky and i like going fast, that say my question is if the anyroad can catch up whit a road bike. Let say i lose weight get to 220 and put slicks on the bike. Could i go against the 180lbs roadies?
Ummmm NO,

they are F1 cars you are in a light SUV

Roadie vs racer CX bike might be closer (both are race bikes), but the roadie will still win and require allot less work/effort

still like F1 car vs WRC rally car. One has incredible top end (30+mph) the racer cx is designed to play at sub 25mph. A rec version CX like the anyroad will be slower, the geo is not the same even if you put slicks on it, the weight will be different as well to some extent.

You can still put 28c on the Defy and other road similar bikes, this is good enough for more fire/forest roads. Some gravel, pending on type, smooth single track, some rougher sections is fine too. Likely the same places you would take a anyroad bike on to. I'd get the Defy Disc version if you want to do mix riding.

I use my carbon fiber roadie on dirt all the time, did a pretty big ride on it, where 40miles of the 140 was on dirt/gravel/sand. You will likely want a couple more lower gears if you plan to use the roadie on dirt though, you have greater chance of hitting some steep grades and due to traction, you can not get off the saddle to pedal.

__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 11:49 PM   #12
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,182
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
I use my carbon fiber roadie on dirt all the time, did a pretty big ride on it, where 40miles of the 140 was on dirt/gravel/sand.
Yeah, but you crazy.

You also have a lot of relevant experience on roadies and cross bikes, so pay attention OP! :0)
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 02:14 AM   #13
Kanepashi
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
How fast you can be is really mostly about genetics, if you have really good genetics and train properly you will IMHO on level ground be able to keep up with them pretty good, if you are FOLLOWING them they might get smart and pick a more hilly road, or make a lot of 90 degree turns so their ability to accelerate from 0-20+ MPH will make your extra 40 lbs a real detriment :-).

But only a very rare person can be as fast as the truly fast, but unless you try riding and training some, you will never know :-). I read somewhere where some people with the genetic potential to be some of the fastest bicyclists who ever lived, are sitting on a couch washing cheetos down with Budwieser and watching Honey BooBoo :-).

Bill

Hahah, i am prob doing 15 miles easily. I am doing sledge haer training will be buying the sled pull, push thing to get stronger.
Kanepashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 03:27 AM   #14
Kanepashi
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
Ummmm NO,

they are F1 cars you are in a light SUV

Roadie vs racer CX bike might be closer (both are race bikes), but the roadie will still win and require allot less work/effort

still like F1 car vs WRC rally car. One has incredible top end (30+mph) the racer cx is designed to play at sub 25mph. A rec version CX like the anyroad will be slower, the geo is not the same even if you put slicks on it, the weight will be different as well to some extent.

You can still put 28c on the Defy and other road similar bikes, this is good enough for more fire/forest roads. Some gravel, pending on type, smooth single track, some rougher sections is fine too. Likely the same places you would take a anyroad bike on to. I'd get the Defy Disc version if you want to do mix riding.

I use my carbon fiber roadie on dirt all the time, did a pretty big ride on it, where 40miles of the 140 was on dirt/gravel/sand. You will likely want a couple more lower gears if you plan to use the roadie on dirt though, you have greater chance of hitting some steep grades and due to traction, you can not get off the saddle to pedal.

Ill do that, get defy and ask for a 700 x 28c, 36 spock wheel. Thx for the info.
Kanepashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 04:35 AM   #15
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanepashi View Post
Hahah, i am prob doing 15 miles easily. I am doing sledge haer training will be buying the sled pull, push thing to get stronger.
Modern cyclist training does incorporate some weight room work.

Explosive leaps are said to help....maybe they call it a "box jump" ....where you jump up onto a box ?

Sounds like some of what you do is called compound exercises ? Much better than exercises that focus on just one muscle.....some might call it "cross fit " here ?
Willbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 12:03 PM   #16
Podagrower
Senior Member
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
You can still put 28c on the Defy and other road similar bikes,
That's gonna need an asterisk. My 2012 Giant Defy Composite will not take a 28c tire on the rear, it hits the brake mount before it bottoms out in the dropouts. Pretty sure all the new Defys (2015 and newer) will take 28c tires and somebody may stumble across the right combination of rim width and tire height to fit them on older models, but I backed down to 25c.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 12:25 PM   #17
Kanepashi
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hey thx all for your input, i am loving this forum.

About the excersise yes i love a build between slim like cyclist and crossfit body just looks badass. So i am sticking whit crossfit excersises, the normal ones. Thx again for the responds i may get a cannon dale synapse 6 from a friend gotta get my measurements.
Kanepashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 PM.