Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 103 of 117 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 2911
  1. #2551
    Member amishboy51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.4 FX
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think I'm the only Amish around here.

    [and I wear a helmet]

  2. #2552
    Pedal Pusher/Pundit mcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hutchinson/Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Jubilee
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New clydesdale checking in.

    I'm 5'6" and about 225ish, build like a stump ex-wrestler, current weight lifter. Just picking up biking to lose some of this fat.

  3. #2553
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 (2006) MTB
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I haven't been on this board for almost 4 years, but a lot has happened since then. First, I got deployed to Afghanistan shortly after joining this site and so it's safe to say that I didn't do much biking in 2009, then got a new job when I returned home and actually bike commuted for about 9 months exclusively, until my wife told me that she was pregnant with our second, which caused me to go out and buy a second car for the family. So, with a second car, the daily bike commute got less and less apealing for a while with a new infant in the house and sleepless nights. Then got another new job and moved across the country from Virginia to San Francisco. We are back to one vehicle (my Jeep is in VA with some friends for the time being because of cost to try to move it). So, anyway, I've been exclusively bike commuting since I moved here for the last month or so. But the biggest change that has occured is that I am no longer eligible to post in the clydesdale forum! I'm under 200 now days, I lost the fat while in Afghanistan and have pretty much kept it off since coming home with the bike commuting. Right now, I'm about 195 or so.

    So, now the important question, how do I unsubscribe from this thread? I've been getting emails from this thread for the last four years and only now have gotten back to the board and have no idea how to unsubscribe.

  4. #2554
    Senior Member ChrisM2097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Milpitas, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX
    Posts
    981
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death m3tal View Post
    Wow, I haven't been on this board for almost 4 years, but a lot has happened since then. First, I got deployed to Afghanistan shortly after joining this site and so it's safe to say that I didn't do much biking in 2009, then got a new job when I returned home and actually bike commuted for about 9 months exclusively, until my wife told me that she was pregnant with our second, which caused me to go out and buy a second car for the family. So, with a second car, the daily bike commute got less and less apealing for a while with a new infant in the house and sleepless nights. Then got another new job and moved across the country from Virginia to San Francisco. We are back to one vehicle (my Jeep is in VA with some friends for the time being because of cost to try to move it). So, anyway, I've been exclusively bike commuting since I moved here for the last month or so. But the biggest change that has occured is that I am no longer eligible to post in the clydesdale forum! I'm under 200 now days, I lost the fat while in Afghanistan and have pretty much kept it off since coming home with the bike commuting. Right now, I'm about 195 or so.

    So, now the important question, how do I unsubscribe from this thread? I've been getting emails from this thread for the last four years and only now have gotten back to the board and have no idea how to unsubscribe.
    Congrats - but you don't have to leave us. You can still provide encouragement if you'd like. But if you don't want to receive notifications, scroll to the top of the page, just above the first post on the page, click "Thread Tools" > "Unsubscribe".

    Welcome to the SF Bay Area. There are lots of great rides all over the place. One of my favorite leisurely rides in SF is from the Ferry Building to Tiburon.
    Chris
    Milpitas, CA
    www.strava.com/athletes/chrism2097

    2012 Trek FX 7.5
    2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

  5. #2555
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 (2006) MTB
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, thanks for the tip on unsubscribing. I won't leave, but I'm proud to have dropped the weight. I'm stoked about being in SF. We got a place in the Presidio (totally lucked out with the timing too). My daily commute is from Baker Beach to Sausalito. It's pretty cool (and cold too, brrr) to ride over the Golden Gate bridge every day... and not pay the $6 toll!

  6. #2556
    Senior Member ChrisM2097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Milpitas, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX
    Posts
    981
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death m3tal View Post
    Chris, thanks for the tip on unsubscribing. I won't leave, but I'm proud to have dropped the weight. I'm stoked about being in SF. We got a place in the Presidio (totally lucked out with the timing too). My daily commute is from Baker Beach to Sausalito. It's pretty cool (and cold too, brrr) to ride over the Golden Gate bridge every day... and not pay the $6 toll!
    That's definitely a cool (literally) commute. Alexander Ave is a pretty good climb on your way home, too.
    Chris
    Milpitas, CA
    www.strava.com/athletes/chrism2097

    2012 Trek FX 7.5
    2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

  7. #2557
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 (2006) MTB
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is and so is Lincoln. The problem I'm having is I am using MapMyRide to chart my rides and they don't have the elevations of the GGB on it. So, when I look at the profile of my rides, it looks like I riding my bike across the water at sea level, which really annoys me. Any ideas on what iPhone app might actually have the bridge elevations built in for true profiles? I know this is way off topic, but anyway...

  8. #2558
    Senior Member ChrisM2097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Milpitas, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX
    Posts
    981
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death m3tal View Post
    Yes, it is and so is Lincoln. The problem I'm having is I am using MapMyRide to chart my rides and they don't have the elevations of the GGB on it. So, when I look at the profile of my rides, it looks like I riding my bike across the water at sea level, which really annoys me. Any ideas on what iPhone app might actually have the bridge elevations built in for true profiles? I know this is way off topic, but anyway...
    I just mapped it on www.ridewithgps.com and the elevation is all messed up across the GG.

    I don't have any Apple products, so I wouldn't know - but next time I do that ride (which will probably be soon), I'll bring my Garmin Edge 500 and share the elevation profile here.
    Chris
    Milpitas, CA
    www.strava.com/athletes/chrism2097

    2012 Trek FX 7.5
    2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

  9. #2559
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    My Bikes
    1985 Gitane Victoire, 2008 Gary Fisher Wahoo, Surly Ogre
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 5'8" and currently 245lbs. I ride a 2008 Gary Fisher Wahoo, but I have been looking to get back on a road bike so just rebuilt my 1985 Gitane. Looking up info for the rebuild is what lead me to Bikeforums. I started riding as a teen and then quit for about 20 years and 140lbs. I started riding again around 280lbs. Most of the weight loss has been through walking/hiking, but I needed something to break the monotony and didn't take the time commitment of a 8-10 mile hike. I really had a hard time with finding a seat and a good riding position. My body remembers being leaned over but several important bits of anatomy and my arms prefer to be more upright at this time. Seat selection for me was counter-intuitive. I assumed I needed a softer seat but after some trial and error a firmer seat actual seems to work better. I have also ended up putting a 4" Delta stem extender, a wider saddle and a seat post with no offset on the Wahoo. Not quite a full upright position like a cruiser but not nearly as far leaning forward. Feels a little awkward on technical trails, but overall more comfortable. I just finished the rebuild on the Gitane this weekend so I am not sure how that will work out yet. Anyway, I am feeling much more motivated to get out and ride now. Thanks.
    Mike

  10. #2560
    Senior Member Flying Foot Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito, Shimano 105; Easton EA90 SLX, Bontrager Race lite carbon fiber handlebars! & Look Keo pedals
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mcv, good luck to you, hope you enjoy riding your Gitane..I remember those from long ago... keep at it! Andy

  11. #2561
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 5 - 8, was 265 lbs, but after a year of thoroughly abusing a Fuji Absolute, I'm now slightly (2 lbs) over 200, and looking to get below. Biking has been a godsend for me, and allowed to me get the exercise I never could jogging or otherwise.

  12. #2562
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 230lbs, i'm a good mix of muscle and fat but I hope to bring it down with my goal of training for a century ride this fall. I also compete in sport Judo so I hope that cycling can cut drop me down to a few weight classes because they are BIG where I'm at. I have three bikes but mainly ride a Nashbar Steel CX outfitted as a commuter, and, will also be my Century rig. I also have a Fuji SST 3.0 when I pretend to be Sir Chris Hoy.



  13. #2563
    Newbie xrayspex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey fellow big guys/gals...
    Getting back into cycling after about a 20 year hiatus. I'm 6"1 and weigh about 240. While I plan on dropping some pounds (aren't we all?), I'm looking into a nice new carbon fiber frame roadbike to help motivate me.
    Is the frame material an issue for us big and tall, or is it just the rims/spokes/tires? Granted it seems a bit silly to shave weight off the frame when you are is big as me, but I love hot rods...
    thanks in advance!
    Last edited by xrayspex; 07-25-12 at 04:41 PM. Reason: oops
    The early bird gets the worm, BUT the second mouse gets the cheese

  14. #2564
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hudson Valley NY
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAADX, Specialized MTB(old).
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all, I am about 5'10 220 lbs, I guess I qualify. I like to hover around 210-205 so the 15 pounds or so I am trying to lose. I started riding this week, Le tour always fires me up, so I went out and bought a Cannondale CAADX cylcocross bike and started riding it pretty good. I look forward to this forum, and maybe try a race once in awhile. I do a lot of weight lifting, so I dont want to lose too much weight. See ya around.
    John

  15. #2565
    Climbers Apprentice vesteroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayspex View Post
    hey fellow big guys/gals...
    Getting back into cycling after about a 20 year hiatus. I'm 6"1 and weigh about 240. While I plan on dropping some pounds (aren't we all?), I'm looking into a nice new carbon fiber frame roadbike to help motivate me.
    Is the frame material an issue for us big and tall, or is it just the rims/spokes/tires? Granted it seems a bit silly to shave weight off the frame when you are is big as me, but I love hot rods...
    thanks in advance!

    I was bigger than you when i bought my carbon bike...no issues...most manufactureres rate them to 300


    You can spend as much as you want on carbon bikes and wheels and still get ones that will hold you at your weight...your hot rod is only limited by your pocket book just like in cars

  16. #2566
    Newbie mstrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH, USA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Appalachian, Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After being away from cycling and working at a bike shop for 10+ years, I slowly found myself growing horizontally far more than I care to admit (was 250+) I started with my old Specialized Stumpjumper that I used to ride when I was young and only wanted to look cool...alas, I'd hit the 230 point and decided that cycling was fun again, and started watching CL...I hit up CL and bought some parts up, and ordered some new ones...and found a naked Litespeed Appalachian frame...I've built it up the best I could with 36H XT hubs, Sun Rhyno Lite rims...love reading everyone's weight loss successes on here, so decided I'd introduce myself and post a pic of my ride!!
    Litespeed.jpg

  17. #2567
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hudson Valley NY
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAADX, Specialized MTB(old).
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    599444_3451008989716_1818371414_n.jpgHere's the new ride, put about 20 miles on it so far, (my ass is killing me-hope it gets better) Between the weight lifting, riding , and a few camp chaos classes I should be able to maintain my eating habits and maybe drop a few pounds along the way. my problem is I am a "B" guy. Beer, Butter, Bacon, Bagels, and Bikes (both motorrized and pedal.

  18. #2568
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Johnstown, NY
    My Bikes
    Scott CR 1 Pro
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 53 and presently 255 lbs, down from 272 when I first started cycling this spring. I am not happy with the speed of my weight loss but I have come to realize I have to further enhance my weight loss strategies. Like not eating after 8 PM. Been going to the gym on and off for the past 12 years or so but just could not stay consistent or motivated. But now I found the bike! Love it. First bought a Raleigh RX1 Cyclocross bike but traded it back in after two weeks when I saw how much I enjoyed the road and would not be interested in the slightest riding the bike in the mud. Bought a Scott CR1 Pro and absolutely love it. Stiff, light and fast!

  19. #2569
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, fellas. Another Clyde here, 25, 6'2, 255 lbs. I'm just now getting back into riding to get a little fitness and because I missed hitting the trails - hopefully I'll enjoy road as much as I used to enjoy mountain. Dumped my Santa Cruz Superlight at the end of college because I had no room for it and had lost motivation after a huge wreck. Just picked up an older Fuji Team Issue after moving up to DC and not being able to walk two blocks to work any more. Hopefully I'll get back down to where I was when I came into college and rode a lot (215, 33" waist).

    fuji.jpeg

    Obviously the Spinergy wheels were replaced (with a 32-hole mavic set up with heavy duty stainless nipples). Pink bar tape is still there.

  20. #2570
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to drop some coin on a Fuji SST 3.0. The green bike is my nashbar cx, I think they compliment each other!!!

  21. #2571
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 6'6" and 220 pounds when I'm lazy and drinking a lot of beer. When I'm leaned out, I operate at around 205. I'm not fat, but I still have the weight, narrowing my bicycle frame and some components choices down. I ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker with 26" wheels for commuting and (soon) touring. Even though I may not be a formidable Clydesdale, my touring load, on top of my own weight, makes it crucial to having beefy wheels, tough tires, and a sturdy frame and components.

  22. #2572
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did my longest ride ever, a 50 miler through NC and Southern VA. I'm not seeing the weight go down but I feel different.


  23. #2573
    Just Plain Slow PhotoJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230
    Posts
    4,190
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs2k View Post
    Just did my longest ride ever, a 50 miler through NC and Southern VA. I'm not seeing the weight go down but I feel different.
    Congrats. Nice job. Keep it up and the weight will drop.
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!

  24. #2574
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJoe View Post
    Congrats. Nice job. Keep it up and the weight will drop.
    Thanks I will, plus, I'm pretty sure i'm addicted to riding. I even find it much more enjoyable than riding motorcycles!

  25. #2575
    Junior Member RocketRod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about 53 yo, 5'11+", 258 want to lose some weight and have some fun on my '06 or '07 K2 Easy Street. I'll keep this short because I have no pictures to post as yet, but look forward to this forum with enthusiasm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •