Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 1216
  1. #401
    "Fred"--is that bad? DTSCDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    214 Represent!
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been lurking/posting here for a little while now so I figured it was high time I introduced us to you all.
    We both had weight loss surgery in August 07--I had gastric bypass and SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) had the Lap Band.
    Here we are right before the surgeries. I came in at 6'3" 400 and she was at 5'7" 275


    Here we are this past Saturday (May 17, 08) as we prepare for a local charity ride--16 miles which we did in about 1.5 hours counting a rest area break. I am at 240 and she is about 200 (I'm still 6'3" and she is still 5'7"!)


    We are both riding Trek 7.3FXs. We might be considering actual road bikes since we are interested in longer rides, hopefully involving metric/imperial centuries before the end of the year. I am wondering if real road bikes might make that easier than the hybrids.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The meek shall inherit the earth (If that's okay with the rest of you.)
    “Many of us spend half our time wishing for things we could have if we didn’t spend half our time wishing.”Alexander Woolcot
    Schwinn Super Sport (86)
    Trek 7.3FX (07)
    Trek T200 Tandem (Until I sell it!)

  2. #402
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Looking good! Outstanding job!

    As to your question about road bikes? Yeah, greater efficiency.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #403
    "Fred"--is that bad? DTSCDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    214 Represent!
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Looking good! Outstanding job!

    As to your question about road bikes? Yeah, greater efficiency.
    I am fairly new to biking but I am pretty sure "greater efficiency" is a good thing!
    Now I just need to convince the wife... Good luck with all that!
    The meek shall inherit the earth (If that's okay with the rest of you.)
    “Many of us spend half our time wishing for things we could have if we didn’t spend half our time wishing.”Alexander Woolcot
    Schwinn Super Sport (86)
    Trek 7.3FX (07)
    Trek T200 Tandem (Until I sell it!)

  4. #404
    ILL...INI uofiblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are definitely looking good! Keep it up

  5. #405
    On a mission for God squirrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VA
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.2 WSD
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Athena here- and will be for a while given the Athena weight guidelines.....


    New to forums and to biking--just starting riding in April as part of getting healthy and losing weight.

    Started at 279 pounds ( April 1 '08). Diabetic, HBP. On 4 diabetic pills a day and HBP meds. A1C-7.8

    Am now (Aug. 2 '08) down to 226--Diabetic pills gone (with doc's blessings) but still on HBP meds. A1C-5.3

    Total loss so far of 53 pounds.

    Barely made it 3 miles my first ride in April--now just did 407 miles total in July with longest ride of 52 miles. This week, I hope to make about 130 miles total with longest of 50 miles.

    I'm planning on doing my first Metric Century in October!

    I'm currently riding a Raleigh Hybrid but am getting a road bike in September!!!!!!!!

    No photos--sorry.

    Love the support and encouragement all give here. And, am glad to know there are other "clydes and athenas" out there other than me--I don't feel so lonely anymore! It took me a long time to ride through all the posts in this thread but the weight loss stories have been inspirational--great job everyone!

  6. #406
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Welcome squirrel. Sounds like you're doing great!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  7. #407
    Mr. Frowny Man Alathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    My Bikes
    Trek 4400
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they sell casuals as well? Ive never been in there, despite knowing a lot about the company from Doane classes. I think its the mental leap of paying 50-60.00 for a pair of NICE pants, vs. 15 for a pair 'right now'.

    Quote Originally Posted by bdinger View Post
    That specific reason is why I buy all my clothes at the Men's Wearhouse. They do great alterations for quite reasonable prices, which in the end makes it cheaper to shop there than anywhere else. I've been quite pleased so far, but my favorite suit (in my pic) just got taken in "for the last time" .
    The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
    Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,
    and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
    --Assyrian Stone Tablet, c.2800 BCE

  8. #408
    Supposed to be Karacer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coal Region,PA
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.2 FX, Wal-Mart Mongoose Something
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll play along, I usually hate having my pic taken. Heck, one friend of mine commented that she has an album full of pictures with me giving the one finger hello Anyway:

    This was Memorial Day 2006, which would have been about 6 months after I quit smoking(packed on 50 pounds right after I quit). I do remember I was topping at 306 at the time of this pic:

    In case it's not obvious, I'm the big handsome fella in the camo shorts and black shirt



    Here is today, about 15 minutes after I got back from todays ride. 269 pounds on the scale this morning, and over 3.5 years smoke free:



    I guess there is a difference. I do know those same camo shorts don't fit snug like they did, actually they fall off me now.


    I have no real goal for weight loss, I just want to be healthy. I still don't eat as healthy as I should. I did stop the constant snacking,and no soda. Just water or Propel most of the time, with one glass of Green Tea(not the healthy kind..lol) a day.

  9. #409
    Mr. Frowny Man Alathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    My Bikes
    Trek 4400
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anything is possible at Zombo-com

    Here is a ME from a wedding gig that my wife and I did, well one song, anyway, (Dylan, "To Make You Feel My Love") and then two more recent ones (today) Note the "I love doing laundry and NE summers when its 101 outside look. I don't know what I weighed on the wedding one-probably 295-ish since I had to buy a shirt and pants for the wedding. the one with the had is about the same. I started tracking my food at the end of May and weighed in at 289.

    I'm at 276ish now. That plateau at 279ish marks where I was just monitoring diet and is an average-daily weight in there was still fluctuating around 281-279. My first ride on my bike was the AM of 4JUL but there was a week break in there, then the next three weeks I rode 1 day, then 2 days, then 3 days last week, and today. These are all basically-befores. Ill post some afters in a month or so and see what we will see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alathea; 08-03-08 at 12:41 PM.
    The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
    Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,
    and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
    --Assyrian Stone Tablet, c.2800 BCE

  10. #410
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alathea View Post
    Here is a ME from a wedding gig that my wife and I did, well one song, anyway, (Dylan, "To Make You Feel My Love") and then a more recent one-both before biking, the more recent one about a month 1/2 ago. I don't know what I weighed on the wedding one-probably 290-ish since I had to buy a shirt and pants for the wedding. I started tracking my food at the end of May and weighed in at 289.

    I'm at 276ish now. That plateau at 279ish marks where I was just monitoring diet and is an average-daily weight in there was still fluctuating around 281-279. My first ride on my bike was the AM of 4JUL but there was a week break in there, then the next three weeks I rode 1 day, then 2 days, then 3 days last week, and today.
    I love the hat.

  11. #411
    Mr. Frowny Man Alathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    My Bikes
    Trek 4400
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you much! Its an Akubra Federation, with a tight crease in the front that I reshaped again after the pic. I had to shape it myself, since they come with no bash from the company. The angle is kind of bad, but its off center for a reason (I love Indy's hat in Raider's, so there it is-i'm a dork).
    The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
    Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,
    and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
    --Assyrian Stone Tablet, c.2800 BCE

  12. #412
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't take it anymore! You all have me pumped up! I'm going for a ride NOW!

  13. #413
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re:Pics

    What an inspiration!!!I'll be revisiting this thread often as incentive.
    Thanks for sharing your photos and stories.

  14. #414
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mandopickr View Post
    What an inspiration!!!I'll be revisiting this thread often as incentive.
    Thanks for sharing your photos and stories.
    Yeah, I find the recent photos inspirational. I'm inspired to purchase a hat.

  15. #415
    Mr. Frowny Man Alathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    My Bikes
    Trek 4400
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hatsdirect.com-one of the best online hat places for Akubra's. Incidentally, for a fedora, unless you are going for beaver fur these are rabbit, and made to be worn out and about in the weather and otherwise. They are a great investment and hold up nicely with barely a brush being allowed to dry.
    The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
    Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,
    and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
    --Assyrian Stone Tablet, c.2800 BCE

  16. #416
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    st clair shores, michigan
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope this does not gross you all out. This is me last june while on vacation when i was 315lbs.At this point i was in fear of my life and i was only 19 and thought im way too young to die



    This is me as of last week and im in at 270 lbs. I still need to tweek my diet more and add more exercise but i can not complain. I have gone from a size 48 waist down to a size 40-42 depending on brand. I still have another 70 lbs to lose,but i just got a road bike to help me with that .


  17. #417
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alathea View Post
    Hatsdirect.com-one of the best online hat places for Akubra's. Incidentally, for a fedora, unless you are going for beaver fur these are rabbit, and made to be worn out and about in the weather and otherwise. They are a great investment and hold up nicely with barely a brush being allowed to dry.
    I don't know if I could 'pull off' a hat. Here's a recent photo. Your opinion? I realize all men used to wear hats, but that doesn't mean they all looked good in them:



    And, since this is a weight loss thread, me at around 400 pounds, October 2005:



    360 pounds, February 2006:



    325 pounds, May 2006. Get a load of the knock in that right leg!:



    310 pounds, June 2006, Marsh Creek Lake. I loved that hideous shirt - it seemed so typical of what a fat man would wear. I look like the world's ugliest sofa:



    280 pounds, December 2006. Playing chess at Cafe Espresso, Reading, PA.



    270 or so, February 2007. My first photo in bike gear. I'd only ridden outside three times, the first three times in my life, in December 2006 and January 2007. The third ride featured a kockdown of Clydesdale poster "uncadan." So I used the bikes at the gym to train.



    242 pounds, July 2007. Photo by Neil Fein.


  18. #418
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by timokabo View Post
    Hope this does not gross you all out. This is me last june while on vacation when i was 315lbs.At this point i was in fear of my life and i was only 19 and thought im way too young to die



    This is me as of last week and im in at 270 lbs. I still need to tweek my diet more and add more exercise but i can not complain. I have gone from a size 48 waist down to a size 40-42 depending on brand. I still have another 70 lbs to lose,but i just got a road bike to help me with that .

    You are looking very good these days. Congratulations on your success, and a special nod of the head to you for having the guts to post a shirtless photo. It shows that you realize, at some level, you are no longer the man in the first photo. After all, you AREN'T that person any more.

  19. #419
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    st clair shores, michigan
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    You are looking very good these days. Congratulations on your success, and a special nod of the head to you for having the guts to post a shirtless photo. It shows that you realize, at some level, you are no longer the man in the first photo. After all, you AREN'T that person any more.
    Thank you. I have started to notice my positive change in attitude and outlook on life. It has been a slow journey but sucess will only taste that much better once i hit my goal.I can not wait until i get my road bike new road bike back form the shop this week ( it's a 1985 schwinn peloton with full 105 grupp but in great condition).My goal is to cycle at least 100 miles a week,last week was my personal best with 62.5 miles.

  20. #420
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    st clair shores, michigan
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I don't know if I could 'pull off' a hat. Here's a recent photo. Your opinion? I realize all men used to wear hats, but that doesn't mean they all looked good in them:



    And, since this is a weight loss thread, me at around 400 pounds, October 2005:



    360 pounds, February 2006:



    325 pounds, May 2006. Get a load of the knock in that right leg!:



    310 pounds, June 2006, Marsh Creek Lake. I loved that hideous shirt - it seemed so typical of what a fat man would wear. I look like the world's ugliest sofa:



    280 pounds, December 2006. Playing chess at Cafe Espresso, Reading, PA.



    270 or so, February 2007. My first photo in bike gear. I'd only ridden outside three times, the first three times in my life, in December 2006 and January 2007. The third ride featured a kockdown of Clydesdale poster "uncadan." So I used the bikes at the gym to train.



    242 pounds, July 2007. Photo by Neil Fein.

    Congrat's on the weight loss. You look excelent in the most current picture.

  21. #421
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by timokabo View Post
    Thank you. I have started to notice my positive change in attitude and outlook on life. It has been a slow journey but success will only taste that much better once i hit my goal.I can not wait until i get my road bike new road bike back from the shop this week ( it's a 1985 schwinn peloton with full 105 group but in great condition).My goal is to cycle at least 100 miles a week,last week was my personal best with 62.5 miles.
    I know what you mean. I was miserable for a long time because I thought I was doomed to a lifetime of no life, thanks to my obesity. Once I realized change was entirely within my power, the war was over - all I had to do was fight some 'cleanup' skirmishes. I'll probably need to fight those little skirmishes for the rest of my days, but they are well worth fighting. If you haven't reached the same conclusion, I hope you do.

    That said, I'll still not appear bare-chested in public. My rack dwarfs yours.

  22. #422
    Senior Member dbikingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Spokane/Tri-Cities WA
    My Bikes
    mountain bike, road bike
    Posts
    1,311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    timokabo and the Historian good work to both of you. What I liked best about the Historian post was the dates. It shows it wasn't an overnight success. That it takes time and dedication.

  23. #423
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by timokabo View Post
    Congrat's on the weight loss. You look excellent in the most current picture.
    Thanks. Losing 100+ pounds and working on my structural problems through exercise and improved posture are responsible for it. But the pinstripes help. The suit, BTW, is a size 52 jacket, 48 waist. I normally wear a size 46 waist, down from a 60. I also dropped from a 14 to a 12.5 shoe, oddly enough.

  24. #424
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    st clair shores, michigan
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I know what you mean. I was miserable for a long time because I thought I was doomed to a lifetime of no life, thanks to my obesity. Once I realized change was entirely within my power, the war was over - all I had to do was fight some 'cleanup' skirmishes. I'll probably need to fight those little skirmishes for the rest of my days, but they are well worth fighting. If you haven't reached the same conclusion, I hope you do.

    That said, I'll still not appear bare-chested in public. My rack dwarfs yours.

    Yeah most days their are lil skirmishes but they feel so good when defeated,since i have more energy and am healthy than i once was.I only go bare chested when i go swimming . The man boobs and gut will be a pain to get rid of but all i have to do is work that much harder at the gym.My goal is to get down to 250lbs by October and be down to 200lbs by my 21st b-day in april

  25. #425
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dbikingman View Post
    timokabo and the Historian good work to both of you. What I liked best about the Historian post was the dates. It shows it wasn't an overnight success. That it takes time and dedication.
    It's not done. I hit 242, and then added back 20-30 pounds over the winter and my subsequent ill-health (minor stroke in January, sleep apnea, and a bike accident in June.) The point, and it's one I learn anew day after day, is that it's never over. This new life, and life-style, isn't a jacket I can put on and take off as I wish.

Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •