Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 826 to 850 of 1226
  1. #826
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just spent the last hour looking through every page of this thread, and what an inspiration. I'm currently at 285 and have lost 40 pounds just by changing my diet and exercising. I haven't been on a bike in about 10 years, but if I jog another step I just might kill someone. I used to go on bike trips every summer when I was in my teens, and I will be buying a bike in the very near future to continue my weight loss. Hopefully I'll have some shocking before and after pics to post in a few months. Thank you all for being such an inspiration.

  2. #827
    Italian Stallion mcafiero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People ask me a lot. So I am cutting and pasting my response that I wrote out for someone else. Hope it helps:
    How to turn that FrankenSTEIN into a FrankenFINE...

    Diet: Eat the same stuff Mon-Sat.

    Bfast:
    Egg whites mixed with chopped kale served atop two warm corn tortillas. Add diced onion and tomato and no more than 1/4 avocado. Sprinkle 1tbs Chia onto them. Add sriracha. Do not ADD anything else! Drink a HUGE glass of water at a minimum with a multivitamin.

    3 hrs later – Builders Bar

    3 hrs later – at Chipoltle or Qdoba, order NOT a burrito bowl, but a “scoop of beans and a scoop of chicken” That’s it. Add some pico de gallo. NOTHING ELSE.. Drink a buttload of h2o

    3 hrs later – builders bar

    3 hours later – ground turkey with diced onion, tiny can of sliced black olives, 1 can of low sodium chickpeas. Cook it up. Remove from heat. Add diced tomato and chopped kale. Serve in a bowl. Don’t eat till your stuffed, just eat until you are comfortable. Sprinkle another tbs of chia seeds on top. And Sriracha, of course. At night I may have 1 glass of wine. Tons of water.

    Before bed, if you are dying, have a half banana and a small handful of unsalted peanuts.

    Yep, I eat the same food EVERY DAY. And I don’t get bored of it, either. You CANNOT cheat at ALL. I mean, no free mint at the mexican restaurant, which you shouldn’t be at anyway. If you MUST go out with friends, you CANNOT succumb to a single ship with salsa. Not a ONE. Drink a TON of water and you’ll be fine. Order the absolute healthiest item you fan find. YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL IN THESE SITUATIONS.

    Sunday is ALWAYS splurge day. Never change it just because you got invited to a BBQ on a Friday.

    Alcohol consumption MUST be controlled. Never have more than 2 drinks. Strive for 0 or 1. Splurge day, you can get wasted if you want.

    NOTICE: I eat barely any fruit. I don’t drink ANYTHING but water and occasional wine. No more carbonated drinks. Cut them out cold turkey. NO DAIRY OR RED MEAT!!!

    Exercise:

    7 days a week I commute to work on my bike. It’s just 20 minutes each way. No huge deal. Probably burns an extra 300 calories a day. But then again, that’s 2100 calories a week. It adds up.

    Monday: High intensity upper body lifting for 45 minutes. I do not allow mylself more than a minute between reps. Leave your cell phone in the locker room. Texting adds to your rest time. I start with chest – 5 sets, adding weight for each rep to complete muscle failure – reps are 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 in one exercise (like dumbell presses) and 12 on another chest exercise (like incline press). If that last 12 doesn’t put me at muscle failure, then I keep pumping out the reps until my chest is dead. If I can only get 6 reps, then I lighten the load by 5-10 lbs and try to get 6 more. If I still can’t, I lighten again and pump out the rest. I am dying at the end. I do the same for my shoulders, back, triceps and biceps.

    Tuesday: easy trail run (45 minutes, Matthews Winters Park) But now I am bike racing on Tuesdays with a racing series at the velodrome.

    Wednesday: Med trail run (1hr 15 minutes, Mt. Sanitas) OR I may do a long bike ride.

    Thursday: Hard trail run (2 hrs, Green Mountain Boulder)

    Friday: Same as Monday

    Sat or Sun (depending on if I have a wedding): run a half marathon or go trail running (med or hard, but not easy)

    Sunday, I always pig out. Whatever I want. Go to bed wondering why I do this every week.

    I lose 2 lbs per week. Sometimes less.

    WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY DAY AND CHART YOUR PROGRESS ON FITDAY.COM

    If you want this to work, you have GOT to get through the first 3 weeks without missing a workout and without failing at your diet. That is imperative.

    Take a before photo and schedule progress photos for every 5 weeks.
    Start right now!!! Good luck. Don't cheat or miss a workout. EVER
    "Go out hard. When it hurts... speed up"
    I have a grande hairy chest and I am of Italian descent.
    2010 Cannondale Supersix
    2011 Dolan DF3

  3. #828
    Senior Member GumbyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW KC
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite Apex
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capecodder View Post
    Here is an update!!!!

    Before


    125lbs later
    i've looked at this post about 10 times now, going from one picture to the other....
    i'd have never known you were the same person... and i'd probably not believe it, other than seeing the tattoo.

    congrats, you did a great job
    Well everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.
    ~~Humphrey Bogart

  4. #829
    Senior Member GumbyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW KC
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite Apex
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update, but not my weight, still have no clue what is was to start and what it is now.

    my work slacks... they're almost to the point of falling off me if i don't have my belt on. i can take it in another notch if i wanted to, but then the pants would be all bunched up.
    i can only imagine where i'd be if i was really watching what i was eating and able to ride more often.
    Well everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.
    ~~Humphrey Bogart

  5. #830
    Learning 1 day at a time
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    My Bikes
    26" Magna from Target!
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks McAfiero for sharing specifics of what has worked for you.

    Congrats and thanks to everyone to who has contributed to this thread. I think it's my favorite in all Bike Forums.

  6. #831
    Senior Member Capecodder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere Between The Beginning And The End
    Posts
    1,991
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GumbyN View Post
    i've looked at this post about 10 times now, going from one picture to the other....
    i'd have never known you were the same person... and i'd probably not believe it, other than seeing the tattoo.

    congrats, you did a great job

    I look at pictures of myself, and I can't believe it's me either (thank goodness for my tattoo) LOL..... My friends and family are amazed at the incredible change, and I feel sooooooo much better.

    Believe it or not, I had a few of my friends thinking I was ill, and telling me they hope I get well soon.

    Everyone going through the weight loss process PLEASE stick with it cause the results are well worth the effort. I know how hard it is, and you sometimes feel like giving up cause the weight stays the same no matter how hard you try, but one day you WILL start to lose again. I went a month without losing a pound, and I was getting very down, but then I got on the scale one day and I was 4 pounds lighter. There really is no easy or magical way to do it other than hard work and a good healthy diet.

    Good luck to everyone!!!!!!
    Amy, I'll always remember you...... I miss you so much, for you filled my days with so much joy.

  7. #832
    Ride like the wind! nutmegTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midtown Memphis
    My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too many Athenas showing their photos. Lots of good-looking guys though! Good work guys. Love the before and after photos.

  8. #833
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    420lbs to 335lbs



    one year of cycling and dieting.

  9. #834
    Ride like the wind! nutmegTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midtown Memphis
    My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good, Japolo!

  10. #835
    Senior Member steve85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Bikes
    04' Trek 7200 Multitrack
    Posts
    536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job japolo!

  11. #836
    Ride like the wind! nutmegTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midtown Memphis
    My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 5' 1" tall and need to lose about 120 pounds. I've lost 7 since June 10.

    I don't have any "after" photos yet since I'm just starting, but here are a couple of "before" photos. One on my turquoise cruiser this spring, and one of me 3 weeks ago test driving my new Trek 700 wsd at the bike shop.

    kbRiding.jpgmeNewTrek.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #837
    Senior Member lokerola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Comp Cro-Mo
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haku View Post
    Here I am at 43 years old and 328 pounds;


    Here I am this year 46 years old and 177 pounds;

    Haku - Awesome job! I can tell you feel fantastic. You look great - very, very inspiring!
    Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now.





  13. #838
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The journey begins with the 1st step or in our case the 1st pound Enjoy your journey and don't give up!

  14. #839
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegTN View Post
    I'm 5' 1" tall and need to lose about 120 pounds. I've lost 7 since June 10.

    I don't have any "after" photos yet since I'm just starting, but here are a couple of "before" photos. One on my turquoise cruiser this spring, and one of me 3 weeks ago test driving my new Trek 700 wsd at the bike shop.

    kbRiding.jpgmeNewTrek.jpg
    Keep it up Nutmeg.....you will see more changes in the next few months! But you have to stay with it. Like most of us, we will have to continue for the rest of our lives. So, sit back and enjoy the ride because it is fun!

  15. #840
    Senior Member troutbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Dash, North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300, Cannondale Synapse 6
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusW View Post
    As I approached 50lbs lost, Streetfilms did a profile on me that went live today as part of their NYC Rider Profiles... I thought it was fun!
    Full article and video here: http://www.streetfilms.org/my-nyc-bi...arcus-woollen/
    This is really cool! Congratulations!
    Trek 4300 MTB
    Cannondale Synapse 6

  16. #841
    Senior Member goldfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota/Arizona and between
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    3,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegTN View Post
    I'm 5' 1" tall and need to lose about 120 pounds. I've lost 7 since June 10.

    I don't have any "after" photos yet since I'm just starting, but here are a couple of "before" photos. One on my turquoise cruiser this spring, and one of me 3 weeks ago test driving my new Trek 700 wsd at the bike shop.

    kbRiding.jpgmeNewTrek.jpg
    Nice to see another shortie Athena! I love the new Trek.

  17. #842
    Ride like the wind! nutmegTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midtown Memphis
    My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Nice to see another shortie Athena! I love the new Trek.
    I love my new bike so much. Struggling with that huge, heavy cruiser I really thought I was just not going to be able to ride. I thought I was just too old, too fat, and too weak, but it all changed when I got on the Trek. I found I could turn and stop without falling, I found I could carry the bike in and out of the house, and I found that I could get up a hill !

    Here's a photo of my bike ready to ride.

    bikeReady2ride.jpg

  18. #843
    Senior Member gforeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
    Posts
    710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'll bite (pun intended)

    Me in 2000, at 325 lbs. In a year, I dropped 125 lbs. I did let it creep up a little over the years, but have always kept under 240.


    I'm now 54 years old, and weigh 224, and I ride almost every day. Dr. told me to stay away from jogging, as my knees started to give out on me about 5 years ago. They told me I wouold need to have both knees replaced. I started biking, and while I don't think I could run a marathon, my knees are pretty darn good. I don't think I will need to replace now. Plan to be back to 200 in a few weeks.

    Losing weight is easy. Keeping it off is a challenge.

    Gary F.


    2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
    2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

  19. #844
    Ride like the wind! nutmegTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midtown Memphis
    My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10+ years! That's inspiration.

  20. #845
    Bike Cop rackovanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcafiero View Post
    People ask me a lot. So I am cutting and pasting my response that I wrote out for someone else. Hope it helps:
    How to turn that FrankenSTEIN into a FrankenFINE...

    Diet: Eat the same stuff Mon-Sat.

    Bfast:
    Egg whites mixed with chopped kale served atop two warm corn tortillas. Add diced onion and tomato and no more than 1/4 avocado. Sprinkle 1tbs Chia onto them. Add sriracha. Do not ADD anything else! Drink a HUGE glass of water at a minimum with a multivitamin.

    3 hrs later – Builders Bar

    3 hrs later – at Chipoltle or Qdoba, order NOT a burrito bowl, but a “scoop of beans and a scoop of chicken” That’s it. Add some pico de gallo. NOTHING ELSE.. Drink a buttload of h2o

    3 hrs later – builders bar

    3 hours later – ground turkey with diced onion, tiny can of sliced black olives, 1 can of low sodium chickpeas. Cook it up. Remove from heat. Add diced tomato and chopped kale. Serve in a bowl. Don’t eat till your stuffed, just eat until you are comfortable. Sprinkle another tbs of chia seeds on top. And Sriracha, of course. At night I may have 1 glass of wine. Tons of water.

    Before bed, if you are dying, have a half banana and a small handful of unsalted peanuts.

    Yep, I eat the same food EVERY DAY. And I don’t get bored of it, either. You CANNOT cheat at ALL. I mean, no free mint at the mexican restaurant, which you shouldn’t be at anyway. If you MUST go out with friends, you CANNOT succumb to a single ship with salsa. Not a ONE. Drink a TON of water and you’ll be fine. Order the absolute healthiest item you fan find. YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL IN THESE SITUATIONS.

    Sunday is ALWAYS splurge day. Never change it just because you got invited to a BBQ on a Friday.

    Alcohol consumption MUST be controlled. Never have more than 2 drinks. Strive for 0 or 1. Splurge day, you can get wasted if you want.

    NOTICE: I eat barely any fruit. I don’t drink ANYTHING but water and occasional wine. No more carbonated drinks. Cut them out cold turkey. NO DAIRY OR RED MEAT!!!

    Exercise:

    7 days a week I commute to work on my bike. It’s just 20 minutes each way. No huge deal. Probably burns an extra 300 calories a day. But then again, that’s 2100 calories a week. It adds up.

    Monday: High intensity upper body lifting for 45 minutes. I do not allow mylself more than a minute between reps. Leave your cell phone in the locker room. Texting adds to your rest time. I start with chest – 5 sets, adding weight for each rep to complete muscle failure – reps are 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 in one exercise (like dumbell presses) and 12 on another chest exercise (like incline press). If that last 12 doesn’t put me at muscle failure, then I keep pumping out the reps until my chest is dead. If I can only get 6 reps, then I lighten the load by 5-10 lbs and try to get 6 more. If I still can’t, I lighten again and pump out the rest. I am dying at the end. I do the same for my shoulders, back, triceps and biceps.

    Tuesday: easy trail run (45 minutes, Matthews Winters Park) But now I am bike racing on Tuesdays with a racing series at the velodrome.

    Wednesday: Med trail run (1hr 15 minutes, Mt. Sanitas) OR I may do a long bike ride.

    Thursday: Hard trail run (2 hrs, Green Mountain Boulder)

    Friday: Same as Monday

    Sat or Sun (depending on if I have a wedding): run a half marathon or go trail running (med or hard, but not easy)

    Sunday, I always pig out. Whatever I want. Go to bed wondering why I do this every week.

    I lose 2 lbs per week. Sometimes less.

    WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY DAY AND CHART YOUR PROGRESS ON FITDAY.COM

    If you want this to work, you have GOT to get through the first 3 weeks without missing a workout and without failing at your diet. That is imperative.

    Take a before photo and schedule progress photos for every 5 weeks.
    Start right now!!! Good luck. Don't cheat or miss a workout. EVER
    The above does not look so bad, however I hate Kale and Olives. Any ideas for a sub of something else?

    Zachary

  21. #846
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gforeman View Post
    Okay, I'll bite (pun intended)

    Me in 2000, at 325 lbs. In a year, I dropped 125 lbs. I did let it creep up a little over the years, but have always kept under 240.


    I'm now 54 years old, and weigh 224, and I ride almost every day. Dr. told me to stay away from jogging, as my knees started to give out on me about 5 years ago. They told me I wouold need to have both knees replaced. I started biking, and while I don't think I could run a marathon, my knees are pretty darn good. I don't think I will need to replace now. Plan to be back to 200 in a few weeks.

    Losing weight is easy. Keeping it off is a challenge.

    Bravo!

    BTW, looks like you went gray during the weight loss. That seems to be a side effect for some men. Me included.

  22. #847
    Senior Member gforeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
    Posts
    710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    Bravo!

    BTW, looks like you went gray during the weight loss. That seems to be a side effect for some men. Me included.
    I don't care what color my hair is, as long as I still have it
    Gary F.


    2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
    2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

  23. #848
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gforeman View Post
    I don't care what color my hair is, as long as I still have it
    Agreed.

  24. #849
    Italian Stallion mcafiero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rackovanz View Post
    The above does not look so bad, however I hate Kale and Olives. Any ideas for a sub of something else?

    Zachary
    Sub avocado for olives. Learn to love kale. It could save your life.
    "Go out hard. When it hurts... speed up"
    I have a grande hairy chest and I am of Italian descent.
    2010 Cannondale Supersix
    2011 Dolan DF3

  25. #850
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

    I just read most of the post and I am ready to join the successes posted here!

    I am 52 and currently 6ft1 and 312. Purchased bike this week (Trek DS 8.4). plan on riding every day as well as doing treadmill and weights and core musle exercises. My goals is to loss about 75 and to do a 100 mile bike ride. However, I am most interesqted in getting healthy,

    I will keep you all posted and will xontinue to read this forum for inspiration

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •