Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 975 of 1251
  1. #951
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work at a very sedentary desk job. Although I used to be very athletic and active, a bad back injury in '95 turned me into a couch potato. Recreational athletics were replaced with recreational eating. Here I am in April of 2010, 48yo at 220lbs.




    At the end of 2009, I took a new position that no longer required me to drive all over town most days, so I started riding my bike to work as much as possible. Here I am one year later, in June of 2011, 49yo at 162lbs.




    I also changed my eating habits quite a bit. I'd highly recommend Gary Taube's Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It. It was actually pretty easy.
    Last edited by Mechanova; 01-28-12 at 11:01 PM.

  2. #952
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been lurking for a while and decided to join to help me document the journey. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of my at my absolute heaviest (502lbs) but here's me two years ago at 460lbs:



    And me last week before I rode off to work at 404lbs:
    404.jpg
    Surly Cross Check
    Phil Wood 48h Hub
    Chukkar Rim
    Brooks B17 Saddle

    Miles ridden in 2012: 655
    Miles to 2012 Goal: 1,345

  3. #953
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4st7lbs View Post
    Been lurking for a while and decided to join to help me document the journey. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of my at my absolute heaviest (502lbs) but here's me two years ago at 460lbs:



    And me last week before I rode off to work at 404lbs:
    404.jpg
    That's a great photo. Reminds me that I should bike commute again. How long is your commute? I've been to downtown Arlington, and everything is UP no matter what direction you go.

    Now that you've unlurked (de-lurked?), post in the Clyde-o-rama thread with some details about what you've done so far and what made you change, etc. Or start your own thread. You deserve it.

  4. #954
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    That's a great photo. Reminds me that I should bike commute again. How long is your commute? I've been to downtown Arlington, and everything is UP no matter what direction you go.
    Fortunately I live in south Arlington in Crystal City so I miss all of those crazy hills. My current commute isn't bad (<1 mile) but I'll be commuting over by Nationals Park three days a week starting in March which will be ~4 miles each way. I actually managed to find a pic of me at what I think is my absolute heaviest:
    502lbs2009_small.jpg
    Surly Cross Check
    Phil Wood 48h Hub
    Chukkar Rim
    Brooks B17 Saddle

    Miles ridden in 2012: 655
    Miles to 2012 Goal: 1,345

  5. #955
    Member jamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    2012 Pinarello ROKH
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing job! You look younger at 46.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    10 Giant TCR Advanced
    00 Cannondale Jekyll
    98 Giant TCR

  6. #956
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamboo View Post
    Amazing job! You look younger at 46.
    Thanks - I think your comment was for me, but it's 49, not 46. Anyway, all of these pics are pretty impressive testimonial how obese folks can turn it around if they really want to. I'm not saying it isn't seriously difficult for some people to do, but if one is seriously determined, it's far from hopeless. Even after hitting 162lbs. myself, I have yo-yo'ed up down about 7-8lbs. for the last 6 months. While I'm not dogmatic about a one size fits all solution for everyone, the carbs definitely do me in. I can smell sugar miles away like a shark smells blood. It doesn't seem like it takes but a few days of high carb meals, snacks and deserts and the needle starts to move north. Then it's four or five times as long of disciplined eating to get back to my ideal weight. This seems to be the case no matter how many miles I am riding.

    So this leads me to my question, do all of you folks who shed mountains of fat think you achieved your weight loss through diet, exercise or both? Do you think it was from eating fewer calories, less fat or less carbs? I suspect that many of you, like me, changed all 4 variables and it's hard to really say how it happened.

  7. #957
    Member jamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    2012 Pinarello ROKH
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanova View Post
    Thanks - I think your comment was for me, but it's 49, not 46. Anyway, all of these pics are pretty impressive testimonial how obese folks can turn it around if they really want to. I'm not saying it isn't seriously difficult for some people to do, but if one is seriously determined, it's far from hopeless. Even after hitting 162lbs. myself, I have yo-yo'ed up down about 7-8lbs. for the last 6 months. While I'm not dogmatic about a one size fits all solution for everyone, the carbs definitely do me in. I can smell sugar miles away like a shark smells blood. It doesn't seem like it takes but a few days of high carb meals, snacks and deserts and the needle starts to move north. Then it's four or five times as long of disciplined eating to get back to my ideal weight. This seems to be the case no matter how many miles I am riding.

    So this leads me to my question, do all of you folks who shed mountains of fat think you achieved your weight loss through diet, exercise or both? Do you think it was from eating fewer calories, less fat or less carbs? I suspect that many of you, like me, changed all 4 variables and it's hard to really say how it happened.
    In my personal case it's: 67% diet, 33% exercise. I've tried just exercising, but it make me more hungry and I go for the carbs. I've tried no carbs and that works, but was only short term. What seems to work for me is lower calories and exercise (not anything crazy), but on the bike 2-3 times a week for a couple hours and a long ride on the weekend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    10 Giant TCR Advanced
    00 Cannondale Jekyll
    98 Giant TCR

  8. #958
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Trek 800 - OLD
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings...I just turned 52, hit 300 on the scales, and had quad bypass three years ago. I take a basket of pills, am diabetic, and coming to the realization that I will be lucky to live out the year. That's how it feels.

    I have 7 wonderful grandchildren and a wife of almost 34 years and I am the sole bread winner. I bought my used Trek last year, found 1000 reasons not to get it down, and another 1000 reasons to not walk around the block. I eat pretty healthy, don't smoke, my cholesterol is less than 130 and A1C is just barely 7. I think I am salvageable.

    How do you guys keep yourself motivated? Some days my knees hurt, my hips hurt, and I just can't seem to make it happen. Would love some motivational tips...as if my family isn't enough...what's wrong with me? Hahah.

    Glad to be here, I have been working on my elliptical machine some this winter, way too little though. I really enjoy being outside more than in. What would be some realistic goals for me, I would like to lose at least 50 lbs this year, and 50 more next year. How many miles should I be targeting on the bike? Daily calorie intake? I am not a picky eater, and I am considering doing a vegetarian type diet for 90 days...anyone gone that route?

    Thanks

  9. #959
    Senior Member goldfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota/Arizona and between
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    3,922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How tall are you Hike? It might be helpful for you to get an idea of how many calories you burn at rest and a rough idea of how many you burn in activity. There are online tools that can help, keeping in mind that the figures are going to be somewhat rough. Here is one such calculator: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

    Once you figure out roughly how many calories you need to maintain your weight at your general activity level, you can reduce those calories to start losing weight. The general rule is 500 calories less a day will bring you down a pound. That will meet your 50 pound goal. Exercise can also help bring down the weight as it burns calories. But not a lot, most calories are burned just maintaining your body. So, reducing calories is generally necessary. The general rule of thumb is to try to lose no more than a couple of pounds a week. You may lose more in the first few weeks as your body adjusts and often retains less water.

    I often use this calorie counter to keep track of how much I am eating: http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/

    There is some evidence that a high protein/ lower carb diet can help with appetite and blood sugar. A vegetarian diet can work fine but you may find yourself hungrier. One solution may be to eat more often but smaller meals. The "right" diet is the subject to much dispute and is not fully developed science. However, staying away from sugar is going to be a good thing.

    A number of people here use weight watchers to help with keeping track of eating, how much to eat, and helping with motivation through accountability. I used this forum in part for the very same thing.

    Motivational tips? That is tough because we are so individual. What motivates one person is meaningless to another. What helped me was being active doing things I enjoyed. I started a year ago on an extensive birding trip, doing a lot of walking and lugging around equipment. That got my mind off food and me moving around. My back hurt though from walking and carryuing the weight, but I enjoyed it anyway because I was chasing birds. Because walking and my back were not getting along I then started biking in the spring after I had lost maybe 20 pounds. My stubbornness was my primary motivation. Damn it, I was going to be able to ride 5 miles! Then 10! Then 25! And as the weight dropped off and the fitness increased I started loving it.

    If you enjoy going outside, go outside. Walk. You don't have to push yet. Just move.

    Oh, if you don't get many responses on this thread you may have better luck starting a brand new thread with your questions.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 02-08-12 at 08:08 PM.

  10. #960
    Member Perigee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast, Fla
    My Bikes
    '80 Trek 400, '82 Kabuki 400, '78 Centurion LeMans.
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The before picture. I turned 60 last summer and when I realized that I topped 300 lbs I knew that I had to rediscover bicycle riding. Although I haven't been able to ride as much as I had hoped, this before picture is at 280 lbs. I'm also 6'-4" so it spreads out quite a bit.


    Feb 5, 2012 by Starbeagle, on Flickr

    After pictures to follow soon, I hope.

  11. #961
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs, Ca
    My Bikes
    2008 SCOTT CR1 PRO, 1988 SCHWINN super sport, 1989 CALFEE/CARBONFRAMES SAPPHIRE
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well time to jump in.

    Im 33 this month and 4 yrs ago when i purchased my first Bike i was near 210. not big but im 5'7.
    7 months ago i was down to 160 than i had a major brain overhaul ( 3.5cm tumor ) not cancer
    well im up to about 180 so after looking for some motivation and getting cleared to ride this thread is just what i was looking for
    . i will post pics of me now later and in a few months will see what happens.

    To start i will try my luck this saturday at the anual Tour de palm springs . Great motivational thread.

    Thanks.

  12. #962
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikezilla View Post
    I just turned 52, hit 300 on the scales, and had quad bypass three years ago. I take a basket of pills, am diabetic...

    ...I eat pretty healthy... I am not a picky eater, and I am considering doing a vegetarian type diet for 90 days...anyone gone that route?
    Okay Hike, I have heard countless people say they eat pretty healthy, but what does that really mean? We are constantly bombarded with messages from the media and government experts which tell us what food is healthful to eat. What do they know? The information is so polluted by political agenda's, personal bias, food manufacture's lobbying money and drug company influences that much of the information can't be trusted. Obviously, at 300lbs., sumten aint working! I know you can do it, but you need to make radical a change and try something different.

    If you are type II diabetic, that means your body has become insulin resistant from excessive carbohydrates. Do you know if you have hyperinsulinemia? If your Dr.'s have given you you dietary information, I must assume that it doesn't work or you aren't following it. I would highly recommend a dietary plan for carbohydrate addicts by the Dr.'s Heller's that helped me immensely:

    http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/

    I was able to lose weight and get off of my blood pressure medication by following this plan. Interesting enough, it's not the conventional low fat drumbeat that has been nauseatingly repeated for years.

    First of all, you need to become a picky eater. Their plan can show you how. Secondly, the definition of insanity is trying the same thin over and over and expecting a different result. Therefore, you've got to leave the insanity behind and do something different. Finally, I used to be a vegan and became obese with high blood pressure because I bought the theory that animal fats were the enemy. The real enemy is sugar and flour which comprise most of the processed foods that everyone eats.

    Just the fact that you're still probing with questions is a great sign and demonstrates that you've got the motivation - you just need the solution. Good luck in your efforts and blessings to you.

  13. #963
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    If you enjoy going outside, go outside. Walk. You don't have to push yet. Just move.
    This is probably the single most important piece of advice ever. When I weight 500+ lbs I never went outside and couldn't walk more than 100 feet or so before my back started hurting. I still have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go but I just started out going to the gym, changing my eating habits, and obsessively tracking my food intake. I'm only eight months in, but I went from 500+lbs and a total sloth to riding at least 30 minutes every day and spending every free moment I have in the gym and working out. The key was that first step of getting active and going outside.

    Keep your head up - this forum is a great tool to keep you motivated.
    Surly Cross Check
    Phil Wood 48h Hub
    Chukkar Rim
    Brooks B17 Saddle

    Miles ridden in 2012: 655
    Miles to 2012 Goal: 1,345

  14. #964
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4st7lbs View Post
    This is probably the single most important piece of advice ever. When I weight 500+ lbs I never went outside and couldn't walk more than 100 feet or so before my back started hurting. I still have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go but I just started out going to the gym, changing my eating habits, and obsessively tracking my food intake. I'm only eight months in, but I went from 500+lbs and a total sloth to riding at least 30 minutes every day and spending every free moment I have in the gym and working out. The key was that first step of getting active and going outside.

    Keep your head up - this forum is a great tool to keep you motivated.
    Also, the world is a wonderful place if you let it be. Get outside! For me 400 pounds was a living death. Now I live every day.


  15. #965
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    Also, the world is a wonderful place if you let it be. Get outside! For me 400 pounds was a living death. Now I live every day.
    This to the power of infinity. Seriously, when I was at 500lbs I didn't do anything but live in misery. I've got a long way to go but every day I get outside (no matter what the weather is like) and take in the beauty of the world I'm fortunate enough to live in.
    Surly Cross Check
    Phil Wood 48h Hub
    Chukkar Rim
    Brooks B17 Saddle

    Miles ridden in 2012: 655
    Miles to 2012 Goal: 1,345

  16. #966
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4st7lbs View Post
    This to the power of infinity. Seriously, when I was at 500lbs I didn't do anything but live in misery. I've got a long way to go but every day I get outside (no matter what the weather is like) and take in the beauty of the world I'm fortunate enough to live in.
    So when are you taking a long ride on the C & O?

  17. #967
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    So when are you taking a long ride on the C & O?
    April. I need to build up my endurance and shed a few more pounds and then I'm hitting it hard. I got pretty sick a couple of years ago when I was at my heaviest and lost a ton of muscle mass so I'm working my way back to biking shape.
    Surly Cross Check
    Phil Wood 48h Hub
    Chukkar Rim
    Brooks B17 Saddle

    Miles ridden in 2012: 655
    Miles to 2012 Goal: 1,345

  18. #968
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4st7lbs View Post
    April. I need to build up my endurance and shed a few more pounds and then I'm hitting it hard. I got pretty sick a couple of years ago when I was at my heaviest and lost a ton of muscle mass so I'm working my way back to biking shape.
    I might be in the area later in the year. Ping me if you want to meet for a ride. Keep in mind I'll be out of shape and breaking in new knees, so I won't be particularly fast or strong.

  19. #969
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, sounds like a plan to me.
    Surly Cross Check
    Phil Wood 48h Hub
    Chukkar Rim
    Brooks B17 Saddle

    Miles ridden in 2012: 655
    Miles to 2012 Goal: 1,345

  20. #970
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4st7lbs View Post
    Awesome, sounds like a plan to me.
    You will find the first 20 miles from DC to Seneca have a great surface. After that, the towpath deteriorates.

    Of course, you could always throw caution to the wind and do the whole thing. It's only 185 miles to Cumberland.....

  21. #971
    Am I evil? I am Man!!! Mr Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanova View Post
    If you are type II diabetic, that means your body has become insulin resistant from excessive carbohydrates. Do you know if you have hyperinsulinemia? If your Dr.'s have given you you dietary information, I must assume that it doesn't work or you aren't following it. I would highly recommend a dietary plan for carbohydrate addicts by the Dr.'s Heller's that helped me immensely:

    http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/

    I was able to lose weight and get off of my blood pressure medication by following this plan. Interesting enough, it's not the conventional low fat drumbeat that has been nauseatingly repeated for years.

    First of all, you need to become a picky eater. Their plan can show you how. Secondly, the definition of insanity is trying the same thin over and over and expecting a different result. Therefore, you've got to leave the insanity behind and do something different. Finally, I used to be a vegan and became obese with high blood pressure because I bought the theory that animal fats were the enemy. The real enemy is sugar and flour which comprise most of the processed foods that everyone eats.

    Just the fact that you're still probing with questions is a great sign and demonstrates that you've got the motivation - you just need the solution. Good luck in your efforts and blessings to you.

    Thanks for that link. I just got a book, and diet program from someone else on the same subject. I plan on reading it before I start doing any of it. I also found out my body has been fighting me my whole life...

    They also have a list of things that run in my family ( I am boarderline with most of them)...

    If your parents or grandparents had or have any of the
    following, you are at risk:

    heart disease, (mother)
    high blood pressure, (Father, his parents)
    accumulation of fat around the waistline, (Father, his parents)
    elevated cholesterol, (Father, his parents)
    elevated triglycerides and other blood fats, (Father, his parents)
    type II diabetes, (Father, his parents, sister)
    excess fluid retention (swelling of ankles). (Father, his parents, sister)
    As you consider the health profiles of your family

    I never really took a look at how at risk I could really be. Time for me to read this book, understand it (overlooked thing by most is understanding soething), then and only then try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    I plan on laying on the floor of my office and crying around mid-morning.
    the-rules

    My cheap @$$ rides...

    2003 Giant Warp DS 3
    2006 Diamondback Podium 1

  22. #972
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great inspiration here!!

    This is my first post, and I just bought my first bike to continue getting into shape! I started at 285 (I'm 5'8"), and am currently at 238.6 pounds. I just unpacked my new to me bike last night, a 2008 Specialized Roubaix, and have it in the back of my Jeep to hit the riverparks tonight!

    I'll get pictures uploaded soon, and hope to keep it going until I get to my goal weight of 165.

  23. #973
    Senior Member ponzini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the continued inspiration! Ive started this journey at 303# and a 46 inch waist and 3XLT shirts. I just bought some new clothes and now fit into 36 in pants and LT shirts. The first outside ride of the year went great at 75 pounds lighter... Much less wind resistance.

    Last edited by ponzini; 03-12-12 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Adding Pics

  24. #974
    Senior Member ponzini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    You'll make it!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Oilsooner View Post
    Great inspiration here!!

    This is my first post, and I just bought my first bike to continue getting into shape! I started at 285 (I'm 5'8"), and am currently at 238.6 pounds. I just unpacked my new to me bike last night, a 2008 Specialized Roubaix, and have it in the back of my Jeep to hit the riverparks tonight!

    I'll get pictures uploaded soon, and hope to keep it going until I get to my goal weight of 165.
    Great Job so far!!! Keep riding and watch the calories and soon you'll be at your goal weight.

  25. #975
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been on this forum in yeeeears, last time I logged on was 2008, I had gotten a bladder infection from riding too much (something to do with holding it in on those long rides) and had quit biking for a while. I took up a workout program called Turbo Fire and lost 47 pounds, and since spring is near I'm looking to get back into riding again. I'm still an "Athena" but I went from 262 pounds down to 215 and I'm still losing weight. I'm looking to re-add cycling to my life to boost my weight loss and keep things from getting boring.

    P.S. here are my before/after pictures so far... I guess I should call them before and during since I'm shooting for an additional 53 pounds gone for a total of 100.
    beforeafterpurple.jpg
    -----------------------------------------------
    Big Beautiful Bicyclist - Athena til I'm not.
    ~My Art!~

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •