Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-06, 09:27 PM   #1
mkadam68
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mkadam68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
Posts: 3,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tough Ride This a.m.

This is probably more pertinent to the Nutrition/Fitness forum, but, I'm a clyde and I value you all's opinions. So, 'm puttin' it here

Background
Due to my job, I am awake in the morning between 4 and 5am, leaving the house at either 4:30 or 5:30. I have done this for a long while. I cannot remember when I last slept past 6 o'clock. Many days, I wake before the alarm clock. This morning, I woke up at 7:01, mainly because my wife got up--I probably would have kept sleeping. I was late, so I hopped out of bed and jumped in the car to make a ride this morning.

Three weeks ago, I came down with what I thought was a cold. However, nasal discharge was clear and I later surmised it was just allergies (eyes had also been itching a bit) or a small sinus infection. I was under the weather for about 3-4 days. Took off from riding. When I returned, it took a couple days to re-acclimatize, but I was then riding very well, spinning up climbs and dropping others, lasting longer than before, and at higher paces.

One week ago, I started coming down with a real cold: nasal discharge was green/yellow. It was worst on Monday/Tuesday this past week. My last ride was Thursday the week previous (nine days ago).

Today
This morning, I went riding with a group for about 57 miles. It was not terribly hilly: I've done worse in 50+ miles. I knew I was recovering a bit, but it was my only chance for a ride in 2-3 weeks time.

In the beginning, I had at least some strength. As the ride went on, I had nothing. I could maintain a pace (a slower one than I have before), but could not power up any short hills, nor jump to accelerate, and at the end, I couldn't hold the wheel of the guy in front of me at 22mph (easily done before). About 11 miles from the finish, we stopped at Carl Jr's for a potty break, I picked up a Lipton Iced Tea for a bit of sugar and seemed to recover a bit from here on out: I could hold the wheel of the guy in front me, but that's all I tried to do.

Overall, just a feeling of tiredness. During, I seemed to be pushing a low cadence (mid-80s), not spinning as I had before (90--100).

When I got home, I realized my legs were really sore and stiff. The muscles felt as if they had gotten a real hard workout. This was a new sensation to me. It was as if I had just exercised for the first time in years.

Questions
  1. Was my sleeping-in indicative of my not fully recovering from my cold? Especially when combined with the other data?
  2. Because my legs were sore, had I just been relying on them to make the ride as opposed to my cardiovascular system?
  3. Was my tiredness/lack of punch because of my previous cold or the fact that I hadn't been riding in 9 days? Can you lose fitness this quickly?
  4. Should I push through this sickness and keep riding (when I get my lights fixed)?

Recommendations? Thoughts, ideas, feedback?
mkadam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 09:32 PM   #2
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkadam68
This is probably more pertinent to the Nutrition/Fitness forum, but, I'm a clyde and I value you all's opinions. So, 'm puttin' it here

Background
Due to my job, I am awake in the morning between 4 and 5am, leaving the house at either 4:30 or 5:30. I have done this for a long while. I cannot remember when I last slept past 6 o'clock. Many days, I wake before the alarm clock. This morning, I woke up at 7:01, mainly because my wife got up--I probably would have kept sleeping. I was late, so I hopped out of bed and jumped in the car to make a ride this morning.

Three weeks ago, I came down with what I thought was a cold. However, nasal discharge was clear and I later surmised it was just allergies (eyes had also been itching a bit) or a small sinus infection. I was under the weather for about 3-4 days. Took off from riding. When I returned, it took a couple days to re-acclimatize, but I was then riding very well, spinning up climbs and dropping others, lasting longer than before, and at higher paces.

One week ago, I started coming down with a real cold: nasal discharge was green/yellow. It was worst on Monday/Tuesday this past week. My last ride was Thursday the week previous (nine days ago).

Today
This morning, I went riding with a group for about 57 miles. It was not terribly hilly: I've done worse in 50+ miles. I knew I was recovering a bit, but it was my only chance for a ride in 2-3 weeks time.

In the beginning, I had at least some strength. As the ride went on, I had nothing. I could maintain a pace (a slower one than I have before), but could not power up any short hills, nor jump to accelerate, and at the end, I couldn't hold the wheel of the guy in front of me at 22mph (easily done before). About 11 miles from the finish, we stopped at Carl Jr's for a potty break, I picked up a Lipton Iced Tea for a bit of sugar and seemed to recover a bit from here on out: I could hold the wheel of the guy in front me, but that's all I tried to do.

Overall, just a feeling of tiredness. During, I seemed to be pushing a low cadence (mid-80s), not spinning as I had before (90--100).

When I got home, I realized my legs were really sore and stiff. The muscles felt as if they had gotten a real hard workout. This was a new sensation to me. It was as if I had just exercised for the first time in years.

Questions
  1. Was my sleeping-in indicative of my not fully recovering from my cold? Especially when combined with the other data?
  2. Because my legs were sore, had I just been relying on them to make the ride as opposed to my days off cardiovascular system?
  3. Was my tiredness/lack of punch because of my previous cold or the fact that I hadn't been riding in 9 days? Can you lose fitness this quickly?
  4. Should I push through this sickness and keep riding (when I get my lights fixed)?

Recommendations? Thoughts, ideas, feedback?
Combination of factors. First:

Histamine reaction from your cold will reduce your stamina as well as reduce tha body's ability to flush lactic acid out of the muscles.

Your hydration probably suffered a bit due to the nasal discharge and overproduction of mucus.
EDIT: A bad cold can also reduce lung capacity aslightly

9 days off the bike: Well, that was a factor as well!

If you have any fever, rest, hydrate and recover.....
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 10:35 PM   #3
mkadam68
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mkadam68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
Posts: 3,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Your hydration probably suffered a bit due to the nasal discharge and overproduction of mucus.
Would a little dehydration produce symptoms of lack of energy, no jump or snap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
If you have any fever, rest, hydrate and recover.....
I remember you posting what your graduate program is, but I forget. But, thanks for the advice.
mkadam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 06:52 AM   #4
kk4df
Senior Member
 
kk4df's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Augusta, GA
Bikes: Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkadam68
Was my tiredness/lack of punch because of my previous cold or the fact that I hadn't been riding in 9 days? Can you lose fitness this quickly?
Probably a little of both. I read somewhere that you lose about half your hard-earned fitness in 12 days. I don't really think it's quite that quick, but it may be. I think it was the combination of the cold and nine days off the bike.

Walter
kk4df is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 09:36 AM   #5
Air
Destroyer of Wheels
 
Air's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Creating some FA-Qs
Bikes: Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB
Posts: 3,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkadam68
Would a little dehydration produce symptoms of lack of energy, no jump or snap?


I remember you posting what your graduate program is, but I forget. But, thanks for the advice.
Yes! But not to the degree that you say.
__________________
The Almighty Clyde FAQ || Northeast Index
eTrex Vista References || Road Reference


It's the year of the enema!
Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 10:26 AM   #6
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suspect it's a combination of all the factors, as I said.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-06, 12:03 PM   #7
e0richt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
you might check to see that your seat height hasn't crept down... I find that it doesn't take much to make
me start to work harder on a ride...
e0richt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 PM.