I'm new to the forums and am new to biking in terms of really understanding the technology that is avail nowadays, along with all the specialized bikes out there. When I first started riding a bike, 20 years ago, I was 10 and I went through maybe 3 bmx style/huffy bikes until I was 17. The last bike I had was a 18/19" FS $250 Motiv bike from Costco, what a piece of garbage, I took it back and have not been riding for at least 2 years now.
I'm 6'3" pushin 260 now. I've decided part of my exercise routine and getting back into shape is that I am going to purchase a new bike. I forecast that I will primarily, 85%, be on the street/urban scene. I live in Northeast Los Angeles. The other 15% I hope to be more mountain biking, in the most loose since of the word, i.e. fire roads/trails. But nothing like the downhill racing/rock hopping stuff.
I think I've narrowed down my choices, at least until I read the responses, then I may have to start over again...
I like the idea of the 700c wheels/tires, that have just the slight knobbiness to them but give better traction on paved surface and something with less rolling resistance, but something that can take going up/off a curb, and still be decent on semi-off road/MTB'ing dirt/loose gravel/terrain.
Quite honestly, I've yet to test ride the bikes, which I should probably get to this weekend, but the ones I were eyeing are the:
Giant Cypress SX and
Kona Dew Deluxe
I think I would prefer a front suspension, like the Giant has, but understand I could likely add one to the Kona if I went with it. And I would like the idea of being able to add on some 26 x 1.9 MB tires if I was doing some more serious off road stuff.
My concerns are will the 700c wheels support my weight for what I want to do? And are the bikes generally suited for what I want to do.
Appreciate any opinions/suggestions,