Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   *Feeler* Clyde Fitness/Cycle show? (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/259921-feeler-clyde-fitness-cycle-show.html)

chunkyd 01-11-07 12:59 AM

*Feeler* Clyde Fitness/Cycle show?
 
Hey Guys.. I'm new to this forum but after much reading and thinking.. what would you ladies and gents think about a cycle fitness show leaning towards getting people off thier couches and into cycling?

I'm in the Film/Video business (camera Op/DP) and own alot of my own filming/lighting equipment. I've shot for BET,MTV,MSN, ETC.. I've struggled with weightloss forever (still do); I have been wanting to do something that combines my new love of fitness,Traveling and Film/Video for a while now.

http://www.madguyproductions.com/upl.../demoreel.html - some short clip of a few of my 2006 projects. My websites old and still being updated..

I was thinking of a show that we would ride a predeterminded path across country meeting people in each town (mostly bigger folks). The show would focus mostly on larger riders male or female.

I have some access to producers but we would need a a couple pilot episodes first.. it could be a fun experience... i'm actually in illinois now shooting a few pilot wellness/fitness shows.

This is just food for thought just a simple idea i came up with that i figure we could all chat about... perhaps even make it happen at some point.

I mean some of the stories on here are downright inspirational and if done right it could be a cool little show.. start off simple and then perhaps FIT TV? hahah getting on national TV is exetremely difficult but
hey you never know what producers will bite on!

it doesnt have to be ONLY for us big folks but i see enough fitness shows with already in shape people looking bored doing thier routines.

THOUGHTS?

(51) 01-11-07 03:40 AM

Hmmm. Amazing Race meets The Biggest Loser. Take a few Clydes, start them off on one coast and pedal across America...See which team loses the most weight along the way. Film the hardships, efforts, blown spokes, scenery and experiences.

rokphotography 01-11-07 03:49 AM

i say do a documentary on tom!!!! his pictures are motivation to me, and i assume a lot of people in this side of the forum!!

Tom Stormcrowe 01-11-07 07:24 AM

I like the idea, actually, as it could be a huge motivator through the vicarious motivation principle.

First suggestion, do some short clips and create some "buzz" about it.

chunkyd 01-11-07 08:58 AM

cool, i wouldnt want it to be a contest but thats still another good idea! (with a proven formula).
I think the more realistic, documentary approach would be best but adding in events and gatherings along the way. I think we could get some sponsorship also.. of cousre riding for a good cause.

i have a basic one sheet put together, in a public forum it's always smart to start stuff like this off with "idea officers", a core group of people.. not that anyones deciding to do anything at this point but it helps when you have 100 people throwing in ideas or wanting ot be involved.

Tom, i agree with the "buzz" that will be a good way of attracting people to the idea once its hashed out.

steve2k 01-11-07 10:33 AM

I'd watch a programme about Clydes taking on a challenge in order to get fit and lose weight. I really like these sorts of documentaries, and if it's something I can identify with (big blokes on bikes) then even better.

In the uk we had a programme called "too big to walk" about 8 seriously obese people who walked from the south coast of the UK up to Edinburgh in Scotland. In typical reality tv style, they picked people who were annoying or who would breakdown and cry, so they made good viewing. It seems most of our reality tv goes this way.

I'd like to see a show with people I can identify with, people who are overweight (maybe not severely) but who are trying to get fitter and healthier. I guess this is more of a documentary style than a reality tv style format.

Here's a pretty interesting article from a UK paper about the TV show.

I guess a few clips on utube could help build up an audience.

Tom Stormcrowe 01-11-07 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunkyd
cool, i wouldnt want it to be a contest but thats still another good idea! (with a proven formula).
I think the more realistic, documentary approach would be best but adding in events and gatherings along the way. I think we could get some sponsorship also.. of cousre riding for a good cause.

i have a basic one sheet put together, in a public forum it's always smart to start stuff like this off with "idea officers", a core group of people.. not that anyones deciding to do anything at this point but it helps when you have 100 people throwing in ideas or wanting ot be involved.

Tom, i agree with the "buzz" that will be a good way of attracting people to the idea once its hashed out.

Once we get it hashed a bit, and find the interested people, I'd suggest moving the organizational end of it back to PM network as a working group and update on the main from time to tome to keep interest going. The main thread can also serve as an open forum for some ideas to be considered by others who may want to contribute as well as a sort of vetting for someone we might consider bringing into the working group because they had an excellent idea. and the working group discuss these on the PM.

chunkyd 01-11-07 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Once we get it hashed a bit, and find the interested people, I'd suggest moving the organizational end of it back to PM network as a working group and update on the main from time to tome to keep interest going. The main thread can also serve as an open forum for some ideas to be considered by others who may want to contribute as well as a sort of vetting for someone we might consider bringing into the working group because they had an excellent idea. and the working group discuss these on the PM.


Tom i agree! good idea...

Mudu93 01-11-07 07:46 PM

I would be up for it.

jaxgtr 01-11-07 07:53 PM

I think this is a great Idea.

GypsyAngel 01-12-07 05:19 PM

chunkyd... I think a documentary is a really interesting idea. A lot of my problem with weight loss (or lack of) over the years was with exercise. I just didn't like it. In cycling I finally found a sport that I really enjoy and that I can participate in as a heavier person.
Yes I am trying to use it as a weight loss tool but at the same time it is very freeing to me to be able to get on a bike, pedal, enjoy it and know it's good for me. Yes, I'm slower up the hills, yes I use more gears, yes I breathe heavier but I still can do it. I proved it to myself last year by cycling my first century.
I think your idea could end up being a very powerful and motivating experience for many.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
:D Gypsy (from the Athenas :))

ScrubJ 01-12-07 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyAngel
chunkyd... I think a documentary is a really interesting idea. A lot of my problem with weight loss (or lack of) over the years was with exercise. I just didn't like it. In cycling I finally found a sport that I really enjoy and that I can participate in as a heavier person.
Yes I am trying to use it as a weight loss tool but at the same time it is very freeing to me to be able to get on a bike, pedal, enjoy it and know it's good for me. Yes, I'm slower up the hills, yes I use more gears, yes I breathe heavier but I still can do it. I proved it to myself last year by cycling my first century.


Best of luck and keep us posted!
:D Gypsy (from the Athenas :))

This is what it's all about... Great post Gypsy

chunkyd 01-12-07 09:47 PM

Scrubj - Exactly! this is what it's all about and i'd like to show this side of us big folks! some folks even look down at NFL linemen but i will gurantee you they are in better shape than most.

Skinny doesnt mean healthly or fit! heck alot of weightlifters have NO mobility or cardio ability.

Since tom is such an inspiration i've asked him to be one of the "organizers", mind you its still in the idea phase! ahhah

I really feel passionate about this! it's a version of something i've wanted to do for a while now.

i appreciate all of your comments! please keep them coming.. i'd like to pick the people we we show from the forum.

Let's make it happen! :)

late 01-12-07 10:00 PM

There used to be a Brit show called Fat Man on a Bike. This chunky middle aged guy rode his bike all over the world.

chunkyd 01-14-07 10:14 PM

I'd love this to be an all over the world thing! haha

I'd really like to just go thru middle america (i.e,meat and potatos) lol...

So what do you guys think.. 4 main people..2 clydes 2 athenas? or just 2

Tom Stormcrowe 01-14-07 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunkyd
I'd love this to be an all over the world thing! haha

I'd really like to just go thru middle america (i.e,meat and potatos) lol...

So what do you guys think.. 4 main people..2 clydes 2 athenas? or just 2

5 total, 4+ a tiebreaker....antideadlock mechanism.

chunkyd 01-14-07 10:55 PM

i totally agree tom!

chunkyd 01-16-07 11:44 AM

So a couple of things..

Timline: I'm thinking we kick this pilot off in march, We'd ride and shoot for 2 or 3 days.

Destinations: I'm thinking a end point is a Bike Manufacturer or biking event. Each day we would have an
event say a vineyard (out of season i think),Wellness Spa, etc...

I'd like to have people from this forum for the pilot, Also i'd want to start in the midwest just becasue of the logistics.

if your interested please PM me..

MMPC 01-16-07 01:33 PM

chunkyd, excellent idea! As a fellow cyclist as well as freelance producer/shooter/editor, I'd be very interested in helping out where possible. Like many here, I initially chose cycling to help control my weight and have developed into a passionate roadie over the past 3 years! I'm in Colorado where we have a huge cycling population and some great-looking scenery...

I'll PM you with additional information.

overthenexthill 01-19-07 04:01 PM

need a 60 year old Athena? I'm in! Great idea.

(51) 01-19-07 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunkyd
So a couple of things..

Timline: I'm thinking we kick this pilot off in march, We'd ride and shoot for 2 or 3 days.

Destinations: Each day we would have an
event say a vineyard...

If you want to watch me ride through Belgium, stopping off at various monasteries for a beer then I'm in :D

chunkyd 01-19-07 07:20 PM

Heck! i'm pretty sure i would get nothing done touring breweries! lol

Overthenexthill- Yes! that would be great! as soon as we get more info i'll for sure let you know..

chunkyd 01-27-07 12:32 AM

bump

Lil_round_one 01-27-07 08:23 PM

Wow, this sounds awesome! I'm sending you a PM Chunkyd.

teamcompi 01-27-07 08:55 PM

I am over 50, big and love to ride anywhere, especially, if its a long ways .... contact me if you need a big-un!

Have bike will travel....


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.