Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: brooks saddles

  1. #1
    Senior Member bockwho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    brooks saddles

    nice new forum. getting to the point .. i can be a member of this one but only by a little bit. avg weight 215lbs

    i noticed from the pics that brooks saddles seem to be a favortie saddle for bigger people. any reason why?



    lbs mechanic racer (kid who i like) took a look at my new litespeed and said wow .. this could be a sub 14 bike if you dumped that brooks saddle and bought a pair of look peadles that didnt look like legos or were at least made in the last 10 years.

    I said keep your eyes pealed for peadles but the brooks is staying.
    Last edited by bockwho; 01-21-07 at 10:08 PM.
    Kelsey Bockmuller


    06 lightspeed teramo
    06 lemond etape (wife's ride)
    06 cannondale tandem
    odds and ends.
    96 gt backwoods
    01 Trek 2300
    3spd fugi on a 333 hub
    4 or 5 other frames waiting to become something.
    6 and 7 just added.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    weight facts

    Quote Originally Posted by bockwho
    nice new forum. getting to the point .. i can be a member of this one but only by a little bit. avg weight 215lbs

    i noticed from the pics that brooks saddles seem to be a favortie saddle for bigger people. any reason why?



    lbs mechanic racer (kid who i like) took a look at my new lightspeed and said wow .. this could be a sub 14 bike if you dumped that brooks saddle and bought a pair of look peadles that didnt look like legos or were at least made in the last 10 years.

    I said keep your eyes pealed for peadles but the brooks is staying.
    The Brooks is a better saddle I have 5 of them on five different bikes and you can tell your lbs mechanic that comfort matters more than weight any day of the week and that includes the pedals. When you figure the actual weight percentage difference of shaving a pound off your bike, its really very small when you add your weight to the equation. Something in the order of less than 1/2 of a percent. Heck I've visited the john and lost more! Riding in comfort is waaayyy more important as far as riding long and hard is concerned.

  3. #3
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bockwho
    nice new forum. getting to the point .. i can be a member of this one but only by a little bit. avg weight 215lbs

    i noticed from the pics that brooks saddles seem to be a favortie saddle for bigger people. any reason why?



    lbs mechanic racer (kid who i like) took a look at my new lightspeed and said wow .. this could be a sub 14 bike if you dumped that brooks saddle and bought a pair of look peadles that didnt look like legos or were at least made in the last 10 years.

    I said keep your eyes pealed for peadles but the brooks is staying.
    I put a Specialized Alias on the bike about a month ago. It's reasonably light and once I had it dialed it in it's been comfortable. Couple that alias with a pair of Voler shorts with the Ion pad and you have an all day solution.. I imagine a toupe would probably be as comfortable, but would only weigh in around 150g.

    As for the look pedals, I can only imagne he's talking about the keo looks which are pretty popular. However I believe they have a weight limit of 185lbs, so maybe they're not the right solution for you.

    Oh, speaking of the voler shorts.. Hammer nutrition (www.hammernutrition.com) has the voler shorts with the ion pad for $40. Granted, they're advertising for hammer, but that's the best price I've been able to find for these shorts. Check the fit guide before going crazy and ordering a ton..

  4. #4
    Perma-Clyde (51)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Suncoast, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Hybrid 7200
    Posts
    931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the B-33 Bomber
    My old padded seat gave me aches and sores. The Brooks supports your sitbones and provides a bit of air circulation to prevent saddle sores.
    Last edited by (51); 01-21-07 at 06:27 AM.
    http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forum...fault/beer.gif In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. -Ben Franklin

  5. #5
    Senior Member airbrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Alpena Michigan
    My Bikes
    Electra townie 21 Cannondale Synapse 3
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend loaned me an old Schwinn World Sport to try out. It had a well broken in B17 on it. The back of the seat felt great but the front about killed me. I couldn't find the right angle, if the front was up it hurt me, if the front was down I would keep sliding forward and it would hurt me. I road it about 35 miles altogether and ended up with a big sore where the sun don't shine. I have only found happiness on saddles with the cutout in the center.

  6. #6
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bockwho
    lbs mechanic racer (kid who i like) took a look at my new lightspeed and said wow .. this could be a sub 14 bike if you dumped that brooks saddle and bought a pair of look peadles that didnt look like legos or were at least made in the last 10 years.

    I said keep your eyes pealed for peadles but the brooks is staying.
    What matters more to you: a sub 14-lbs bike (though that is likely an overstatement) or a bike with a saddle you find comfortable? You made the right choice, IMO.

    As for the pedals, probikekit.com has a ripping good deal on Look Keo Carbons ($125 including shipping, almost half off of Performance).

  7. #7
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if weight is a big concern and cost isn't, you can always get a ti railed Brooks Swift, Swallow or Team Pro - kinda like having your cake and eating it too.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  8. #8
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    I've had enough.
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do clydes really car about the weight of their bike?
    all of my commuter hav weighed no less than 35lbs
    I'd ratherhave the weight off my ass than my bike

  9. #9
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,015
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by airbrake
    A friend loaned me an old Schwinn World Sport to try out. It had a well broken in B17 on it. The back of the seat felt great but the front about killed me. I couldn't find the right angle, if the front was up it hurt me, if the front was down I would keep sliding forward and it would hurt me. I road it about 35 miles altogether and ended up with a big sore where the sun don't shine. I have only found happiness on saddles with the cutout in the center.
    That well broken in Brooks was well broken in for someone else's keister though!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  10. #10
    Senior Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Directly above the center of the earth
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Posts
    3,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used several Brooks saddles (at weights varying from 265 to 285). Within two weeks, all of them sagged to the point where they were useless with bowed-out side flaps. Tightening the tension, front-to-rear, only made a stress ridge down the center of the saddle, causing excessive pressure on the perineum. BOOOOOOOOO for Brooks from my perspective.

    I prefer saddles with a perineal cutout and a slight bit of padding. Your bottom may disagree.

    Brooks saddles are more popular than not, so my opinion is in the minority. My experience, however, is what it is.

  11. #11
    Senior Member bockwho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=barba]What matters more to you: a sub 14-lbs bike (though that is likely an overstatement) or a bike with a saddle you find comfortable? You made the right choice, IMO.QUOTE]

    that was kind of my point i would be much happer not being a member of this group than spending the cash on the upgrades (yes 14lbs is a overstatemnt) .. I bought the litespeed b/c it is comparable to carbon and longer lasting with the joy of a good steel bike. (and it rides so nice its like a rocketship compaired to my trek 2300)
    Kelsey Bockmuller


    06 lightspeed teramo
    06 lemond etape (wife's ride)
    06 cannondale tandem
    odds and ends.
    96 gt backwoods
    01 Trek 2300
    3spd fugi on a 333 hub
    4 or 5 other frames waiting to become something.
    6 and 7 just added.

  12. #12
    Solo Rider, always DFL
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Beacon, NY
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur
    Posts
    1,932
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More power to anyone who loves them, but I don't think I'm sold on them at the moment. I've got a Brooks B17N that I've switched on-and-off the bike for a little while... I may not have given it enough time to break in, but it bruises my sitbones after about an hour and I felt a bit like I was getting bucked off whenever I hit an unexpected bump.

    Just bought a Ti railed Aliante off of ebay, and so far am loving it. Haven't taken it out for more than an hour or two at a time over the weekend, but it felt like a piece of alright to my nether regions. YMMV...

    It's not worth getting rid of a comfortable saddle that fits you right simply to save a little bit of weight, but they may not work for everyone either. I'm not giving up on mine yet, but I'm also not going to ride on it today

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    old boots and saddles

    Quote Originally Posted by superslomo
    More power to anyone who loves them, but I don't think I'm sold on them at the moment. I've got a Brooks B17N that I've switched on-and-off the bike for a little while... I may not have given it enough time to break in, but it bruises my sitbones after about an hour and I felt a bit like I was getting bucked off whenever I hit an unexpected bump.

    Just bought a Ti railed Aliante off of ebay, and so far am loving it. Haven't taken it out for more than an hour or two at a time over the weekend, but it felt like a piece of alright to my nether regions. YMMV...

    It's not worth getting rid of a comfortable saddle that fits you right simply to save a little bit of weight, but they may not work for everyone either. I'm not giving up on mine yet, but I'm also not going to ride on it today
    Alot of short, five to ten mile rides and not too much proofhide will break in the leather properly. A leather saddle is simular to a pair of quality work boots......once they are broken in to your body, there is nothing quite as comfortable. Just don't rush the break in process and ruin the leather and don't ride it wet or leave it out in the rain, unprotected.

  14. #14
    Solo Rider, always DFL
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Beacon, NY
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur
    Posts
    1,932
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I'm going to have a hard time taking the aliante off the bike, to be honest... but the plan was effectively to alternate until the brooks broke in.

    I proofided it a couple of times when I got it, and have now left it completely alone. If I find the Fizik starts feeling lousy on long rides I'll commit myself more to breaking in the brooks but for the time being it's the happiest I've been with any saddle.

  15. #15
    acciaio is real Wurm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Earth (for now)
    My Bikes
    Yes, bicycle(s) I own!
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Swift weighs 337g actual. What's that, 60-100g more than some of the others mentioned here? Keep in mind that a full 500ml water bottle weighs 1.5 lbs (about 680g).

    If it doesn't work on the long road, it ain't worth diddly.

  16. #16
    Senior Member jcbryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful SW Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, C-Dale Superbe Pro, Fuji Roubaix
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to drop the people at Selle-Anatomica a email. They asked my "riding" weight before I ordered and my saddle is excellent! They put some extra support under the sides and the cutout is great. Mind you the leather saddle is going to be way cooler than a plastic saddle anyway. I know they have grown quite abit, but were very good to help with my needs. My butt is finally happy!

    Best, John

    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    I've used several Brooks saddles (at weights varying from 265 to 285). Within two weeks, all of them sagged to the point where they were useless with bowed-out side flaps. Tightening the tension, front-to-rear, only made a stress ridge down the center of the saddle, causing excessive pressure on the perineum. BOOOOOOOOO for Brooks from my perspective.
    I prefer saddles with a perineal cutout and a slight bit of padding. Your bottom may disagree.
    Brooks saddles are more popular than not, so my opinion is in the minority. My experience, however, is what it is.

  17. #17
    Senior Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Directly above the center of the earth
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Posts
    3,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcbryan
    Might want to drop the people at Selle-Anatomica a email. They asked my "riding" weight before I ordered and my saddle is excellent! They put some extra support under the sides and the cutout is great...Best, John
    Thanks for the info, John! ANY company that will custom-build is worth checking out (especially for such an important part as the saddle!).

  18. #18
    Duct tape won't fix that slotibartfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Covington, Washington
    My Bikes
    2003 Bianchi Veloce, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can take my Brooks B17 when you pry it out of my cold dead....um.....cheeks.
    It's no matter, no distance, it's the ride.....Stephen Stills...Throughfare Gap

  19. #19
    a van down by the river STewmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Decatur GA
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Trek 6500
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a huge fan of the Serfas Rx Saddles - first and only saddle that I didn't get numb on. Roughly $50 at my LBS.

    The Brooks (obviously) has a huge following, reminds me of Apple.
    **************************************
    "Well. come see a fat old man sometime"

    John Wayne, True Grit

    **************************************

  20. #20
    Senior Member FlatFender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not picky w/ saddles. Ive been able to ride on anything thats been on a bike w/o numbness or being uncomfortable, but I really REALLY want a brooks $wift

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a b17 narrow and love it.... Still not broken in, but I was wondering about chopping it.

    Is chopping an option for 250+ riders?

    Any clydes with a chopped brooks have feedback?

  22. #22
    acciaio is real Wurm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Earth (for now)
    My Bikes
    Yes, bicycle(s) I own!
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B.S.
    I've got a b17 narrow and love it.... Still not broken in, but I was wondering about chopping it.

    Is chopping an option for 250+ riders?

    Any clydes with a chopped brooks have feedback?
    I'm around 195-200 lbs., and I once trimmed a Pro that turned out pretty nice. I didn't have any sagging probs with it, but I think this one happened to have thicker leather than most and when I first bought it, it was very dried out and hard apparently from sitting on the shelf for so long. (Had the older "BROOKS England" badge on the back instead of the newer "BROOKS")

    Anyway, it was a great saddle and I should never have sold it. I also owned a B17N for a while but that didn't work out b/c it did sag quite a bit, and in the center the skirts would flare out. Probably the "Laced" version would have been good, or I could have laced it myself.

    I wouldn't chop a B17N like I did the Pro unless I left enough room to lace it with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wurm
    I'm around 195-200 lbs., and I once trimmed a Pro that turned out pretty nice. I didn't have any sagging probs with it, but I think this one happened to have thicker leather than most and when I first bought it, it was very dried out and hard apparently from sitting on the shelf for so long. (Had the older "BROOKS England" badge on the back instead of the newer "BROOKS")

    Anyway, it was a great saddle and I should never have sold it. I also owned a B17N for a while but that didn't work out b/c it did sag quite a bit, and in the center the skirts would flare out. Probably the "Laced" version would have been good, or I could have laced it myself.

    I wouldn't chop a B17N like I did the Pro unless I left enough room to lace it with.
    that was one sweet chop job...
    I too have noticed a little flare in the skirts... I may end up lacing it regardless... but I don't see enough material to chop and lace without going through the logo. either way.



    Thanks for your advice.

  24. #24
    acciaio is real Wurm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Earth (for now)
    My Bikes
    Yes, bicycle(s) I own!
    Posts
    1,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck!

  25. #25
    Senior Member jcbryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful SW Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, C-Dale Superbe Pro, Fuji Roubaix
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, hang on! I've got both a Brooks and an Apple!!

    Quote Originally Posted by STewmeister
    The Brooks (obviously) has a huge following, reminds me of Apple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •