Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Ridin' Velomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Before and After - the Chunky Monkey Challenge

    (apologies for the typo in the heading - for some reason the edit function does not alow me to correct it)

    I've been loosing weight steadily for the last few years BUT not fast enough. So I thought really start knuckling down and put in some serious kilometers. I eat a healthy balanced diet... I do really... I've tried all the low cal, low carb, low fat you name it fads... but I've found if I step up my time on the bike I can loose serious weight AND IT STAYS OFF!

    So all you Chunky Monkeys out there who's New Year resolutions should be wearing a bit thin by now.... here's the challenge:

    Post a "BEFORE" pic of yourself as your are today ON or WITH your BIKE... mine attached - I can't bear to look

    ... and an "AFTER" pic when you've reached your target (or updates as you're going along).

    I'm not going to weigh myself... my scales broke... STOP LAUGHING!!!! I'll let my belt be my guide... but feel free to post your weight and kilos/lbs lost as you go along.

    If there's enough support (we may even get a "stickey") I'll design and produce a Chunkey Monkey Jersey

    So, who's up for the Chunkey Monkey Challenge...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Velomancer; 01-22-07 at 04:40 PM.

  2. #2
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,016
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)




    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #3
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, seriously, keep it up! I give you MAD props for having the balls to ride, to ride what looks to be a speedy lightweight roadie, AND to do it in spandex. I'm finally trying to talk myself into a singlespeed road bike. I think that's what will get me to the "next level".

    Me, I started at 567 in late June of 2005. Now I'm stagnant right around 380, thanks to the cold and laziness. I want to drop another 130 before August of 2008 (looking good on your wedding day is a hell of a motivator) but unless I kick my ass into gear it just ain't happening. So we're moving to a place two (hilly) miles from work, and I'm going to get a singlespeed. I figure 5 days/week of that + weekend rides should kick it into gear.

    Anyway, what do you ride and how do you like it? I really want a roadie, but am concerned about it under my heft.

    Also, pics will be coming soon

  4. #4
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,016
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    BY the way, not trying to step on your thread, just showing what's possible. I'm not really in the running as I am about 25 pounds from goal and plateaued right now. Good luck and good fortune to all of you.

    Velomancer, are you interested in joining the Clydes database?
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  5. #5
    Dolce far niente bigbossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    10,811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pic of me last September, summiting the last of three 8,000' climbs during the Sierra Fall Century.

    About 4 years ago, I was a hefty 272 lbs. I got tired of being overweight, so I hit the gym and started losing weight slowly but surely. After losing about 20 lbs, I plateaued hard. I started eating more sensibly - no "fad" diet, but 5 small low-fat low-sodium meals a day with a balance of lean protein, "good" carbs, and plenty of steamed fresh vegetables. In addition, I took up cycling. I lost an additional 25 lbs, and plateaued hard again. Try as I might, I could not get past 225 lbs, despite spinning 5 days a week, riding on the weekend, and paying attention to my diet. Last year I logged 3182 miles and 9 centuries, with no net effect on my weight. I am a lot stronger, though, and cardio endurance is vastly improved.

    For the last two years, I've ramped up my cycling kept in good shape, and pretty much maintained the 230 lbs you see in the photo. I do eat junk once in a while, but not much - my eating habits have really gone through a total transformation. I would like to lose 20 more lbs, though.......

    "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, its the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

    S. J. Perelman

  6. #6
    Ridin' Velomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
    BY the way, not trying to step on your thread, just showing what's possible. I'm not really in the running as I am about 25 pounds from goal and plateaued right now. Good luck and good fortune to all of you.

    Velomancer, are you interested in joining the Clydes database?
    You're not stepping on the thread... you are my hero! An inspiration!

    Database... er... sure howzitwork?

  7. #7
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. The things you never know about people! Tom, I know others have said how amazing your transformation is. I never realised. Same for bigbossman, wow.

    Gives me hope. I'm dying to get back out on the road after our snow and ice days here. I finally got to ride a road bike today, for the first time in almost two weeks. The last four or five days were mountain bike only.

    By the way, bigbossman, Mr. East Hill wants to know where the photo was taken a little more specifically, if you can remember?

    Keep it up, folks.

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  8. #8
    Ridin' Velomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdinger
    Hey, seriously, keep it up! I give you MAD props for having the balls to ride, to ride what looks to be a speedy lightweight roadie, AND to do it in spandex. I'm finally trying to talk myself into a singlespeed road bike. I think that's what will get me to the "next level".

    Me, I started at 567 in late June of 2005. Now I'm stagnant right around 380, thanks to the cold and laziness. I want to drop another 130 before August of 2008 (looking good on your wedding day is a hell of a motivator) but unless I kick my ass into gear it just ain't happening. So we're moving to a place two (hilly) miles from work, and I'm going to get a singlespeed. I figure 5 days/week of that + weekend rides should kick it into gear.

    Anyway, what do you ride and how do you like it? I really want a roadie, but am concerned about it under my heft.

    Also, pics will be coming soon
    Lycra... I used to feel selfconsious wearing it but now I cycle so fast people just say "WTF was that" as I speed past. Seriously though, It's just sooooo comfortable. That pic was taken while I was doing the bike leg on an Olympic Distance Triathlon (1500m Swim, 40km Cycle, 10 run) hence tho No. 9 on my arm.

    The bike is a Specialized S-Works Roubaix... Smoooth. I have a fixed gear bike which is great for training and a steel framed bike for everyday rides (and a few more). The one thing I have to do is ride them more. I want to do at least 200-300km a week 'coz if I keep that up I'll loose around 1.5-2 kilos a week regardless of what I eat.

    I relatively fit (resting heart rate 48bpm) and can cycle a century without much fuss but I have trouble sheding the KGs. I've plateaued at the moment that why I thought of starting this thread... if everyones watching this, there's more motivation to get out of bed, and on the bike, in the morning.

    Congrats on the wedding and my support on dropping the 130.
    Last edited by Velomancer; 01-22-07 at 05:41 PM.

  9. #9
    Dolce far niente bigbossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    10,811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill
    By the way, bigbossman, Mr. East Hill wants to know where the photo was taken a little more specifically, if you can remember?
    Top of Wildrose Summit, 20 or so miles NE of Lake Crowley, CA. Right about HERE
    Last edited by bigbossman; 01-22-07 at 05:33 PM.
    "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, its the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

    S. J. Perelman

  10. #10
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,016
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velomancer
    You're not stepping on the thread... you are my hero! An inspiration!

    Database... er... sure howzitwork?
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=1#post3723674

    There's the Weight Loss database thread. Do drop by!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  11. #11
    Ridin' Velomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=1#post3723674

    There's the Weight Loss database thread. Do drop by!
    Thanks... but I've given up on scales. Actually they give up on me. I bought them in to the office, we have quite a few (non cycling) clydesdales and the poor scales gave up.

    I've plateaued since I got the scales so I'm going to rely on my clothes and notches on my belt. I have anumber of great cycling jerseys that a "little" too tight at the mo' so that's another guide.

    cheers

  12. #12
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,016
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velomancer
    Thanks... but I've given up on scales. Actually they give up on me. I bought them in to the office, we have quite a few (non cycling) clydesdales and the poor scales gave up.

    I've plateaued since I got the scales so I'm going to rely on my clothes and notches on my belt. I have anumber of great cycling jerseys that a "little" too tight at the mo' so that's another guide.

    cheers
    That's cool, and I understand!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  13. #13
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mr. Beanz in cycling duds during a BF'er ride. 240lbs, need to be at 220lbs in May for a serious climbing entury ride!



    240lbs in dress clothes. Need to be 220 by May. Gina, riding partner and wife with me. No need to reduce, she's a beauty no matter what!



    Gina in duds. SHe's just plain sexy!


    Another one of Gina. Just cause I like her alot!
    Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 01-22-07 at 09:47 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member I_Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    RANS Dynamik
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm in:



    Not a great picture but it'll have to do. This is from the Sea Gull Century last October. I was at 236 at the time. When I started my better eating and exercising six days a week I was at 241 so, basically, not enough difference to matter...

  15. #15
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I wish I could join, but I have already dropped out of the range of clydedom... and am only 7 lbs from target. Not much weight shows up now. (192 - 6'2")

    Down from 270 at the top. I am still losing about a lb a week now - I watch what I eat and excercise a ton.

  16. #16
    Senior Member I_Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    RANS Dynamik
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude
    Well, I wish I could join, but I have already dropped out of the range of clydedom... and am only 7 lbs from target. Not much weight shows up now. (192 - 6'2")

    Down from 270 at the top. I am still losing about a lb a week now - I watch what I eat and excercise a ton.
    Exercise is the key. I tried eating the same way I do now and at the time I was not really exercising (pre-trainer) and I lost little weight. I can tell I began really losing weight as soon as I added the trainer and walking at lunch. We'll see when I weigh myself on Jan 31.

  17. #17
    Senior Member rykoala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here I am in August 2006 around 345lbs. I am now at 313 (I gained a pound last week!) but I am on my way down. I will be under 300lbs by the end of February, I hope.



    Blog: http://notasfat.blogspot.com

  18. #18
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a STUD!!! WOW! What an inspiration you must be to people around you...Bravo!!!!!

  19. #19
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The CLYDE
    You are a STUD!!! WOW! What an inspiration you must be to people around you...Bravo!!!!!
    that was directed to Tom Stormcrowe...I'm just learning the bells and whistles of the forum. sorry.

  20. #20
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdinger
    Hey, seriously, keep it up! I give you MAD props for having the balls to ride, to ride what looks to be a speedy lightweight roadie, AND to do it in spandex. I'm finally trying to talk myself into a singlespeed road bike. I think that's what will get me to the "next level".

    Me, I started at 567 in late June of 2005. Now I'm stagnant right around 380, thanks to the cold and laziness. I want to drop another 130 before August of 2008 (looking good on your wedding day is a hell of a motivator) but unless I kick my ass into gear it just ain't happening. So we're moving to a place two (hilly) miles from work, and I'm going to get a singlespeed. I figure 5 days/week of that + weekend rides should kick it into gear.

    Anyway, what do you ride and how do you like it? I really want a roadie, but am concerned about it under my heft.

    Also, pics will be coming soon
    Brother from another mother...DON'T BUY THAT SINGLESPEED!!!!!!!!!! You do love cycling i assume and i also assume you want to continue to love it. Again, don't buy one of those "knee destroying" pain in the ass single speeds - if you just can't get past the hype for one, stick your geared bike in your fav gear ratio and just ride it never changing gears for a two weeks - you'll see what I'm talking about. They're a blast for riding a mile to Blockbuster to rent "American Flyers" but trying going on a three hour ride on one of them. @$@5@^#^#&@**@^#^$%$%&@ Don't do it buddy...

  21. #21
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,016
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The CLYDE
    that was directed to Tom Stormcrowe...I'm just learning the bells and whistles of the forum. sorry.
    We're all new once or twice!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  22. #22
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbossman
    Here's a pic of me last September, summiting the last of three 8,000' climbs during the Sierra Fall Century.

    About 4 years ago, I was a hefty 272 lbs. I got tired of being overweight, so I hit the gym and started losing weight slowly but surely. After losing about 20 lbs, I plateaued hard. I started eating more sensibly - no "fad" diet, but 5 small low-fat low-sodium meals a day with a balance of lean protein, "good" carbs, and plenty of steamed fresh vegetables. In addition, I took up cycling. I lost an additional 25 lbs, and plateaued hard again. Try as I might, I could not get past 225 lbs, despite spinning 5 days a week, riding on the weekend, and paying attention to my diet. Last year I logged 3182 miles and 9 centuries, with no net effect on my weight. I am a lot stronger, though, and cardio endurance is vastly improved.

    For the last two years, I've ramped up my cycling kept in good shape, and pretty much maintained the 230 lbs you see in the photo. I do eat junk once in a while, but not much - my eating habits have really gone through a total transformation. I would like to lose 20 more lbs, though.......

    As an ex endurance racer/rider and now a severe Clyde, let me tell you...A guy that can handle multiple 8000ft climbs, a century and 3000 plus logged miles in a year - Who gives a damn what the scale is telling you, if you're healthy and happy, your sig. other is happy all the rest is so unimportant.

  23. #23
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velomancer
    Lycra... I used to feel selfconsious wearing it but now I cycle so fast people just say "WTF was that" as I speed past. Seriously though, It's just sooooo comfortable. That pic was taken while I was doing the bike leg on an Olympic Distance Triathlon (1500m Swim, 40km Cycle, 10 run) hence tho No. 9 on my arm.

    The bike is a Specialized S-Works Roubaix... Smoooth. I have a fixed gear bike which is great for training and a steel framed bike for everyday rides (and a few more). The one thing I have to do is ride them more. I want to do at least 200-300km a week 'coz if I keep that up I'll loose around 1.5-2 kilos a week regardless of what I eat.

    I relatively fit (resting heart rate 48bpm) and can cycle a century without much fuss but I have trouble sheding the KGs. I've plateaued at the moment that why I thought of starting this thread... if everyones watching this, there's more motivation to get out of bed, and on the bike, in the morning.

    Congrats on the wedding and my support on dropping the 130.
    Velomancer, you look like a badass in that pic, in fact, I ganked it, because I'm an illustrator (freelance) and I'm going to work up this cool Clyde logo deal and I like the visual dynamic of that pic and your position on the rig. But yeah, I was racing still about six years back (mountain bike) and I wore the lycra. Here's the deal; do we (Clydes) look as good as the skinny boys in it...nope! but then again, who gives a damn, we're out there, we're doin' it and and it's the appropriate equipment to afford us the best comfort while riding. And for me personally, other than a-holes with smart mouths in cars passing by, any skinny person that has a problem with me wearing what i need to is more than welcome to come share their opinions...however illadvised it may be.

  24. #24
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
    240lbs in dress clothes. Need to be 220 by May. Gina, riding partner and wife with me. No need to reduce, she's a beauty no matter what!
    You two look GREAT! How fun having a wife that rides...My wife will ride with me but she's just an occassional weekend warrior...baby steps

  25. #25
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Bike
    Okay, I'm in:



    Not a great picture but it'll have to do. This is from the Sea Gull Century last October. I was at 236 at the time. When I started my better eating and exercising six days a week I was at 241 so, basically, not enough difference to matter...
    I can't say it enough (and I only am because I'm bigger than most of you) but when you can ride a century...236lbs. sounds pretty good! Good for you bud!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •