Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-07, 07:53 AM   #1
fdny_boss
JitteryJoe
Thread Starter
 
fdny_boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bronx, NY
Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found W-I-D-E cycling Shoes!

Just thought I'd let you guys know, I've been using the extra long power straps with hiking shoes for two years because I'd been unable to find cycling shoes wide enough to fit me (size 13, EEEE width). I've tried Sidi , Northwave, Adidas, Nike and Shimano "wide" sizes, with no luck. I finally mail ordered a pair of Lake CX 225's direct from their web site, and they are perfect! They have several styles in wide sizes. Now I just have to decide on a pedal!
fdny_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 09:24 AM   #2
Air
Destroyer of Wheels
 
Air's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Creating some FA-Qs
Bikes: Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB
Posts: 3,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet - you have the same feet I do! Adding to my list o links
__________________
The Almighty Clyde FAQ || Northeast Index
eTrex Vista References || Road Reference


It's the year of the enema!
Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 11:46 PM   #3
OrangeOkie
Senior Member
 
OrangeOkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oklahoma City
Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Linky?
OrangeOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 12:05 AM   #4
charles vail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
old shoe combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny_boss
Just thought I'd let you guys know, I've been using the extra long power straps with hiking shoes for two years because I'd been unable to find cycling shoes wide enough to fit me (size 13, EEEE width). I've tried Sidi , Northwave, Adidas, Nike and Shimano "wide" sizes, with no luck. I finally mail ordered a pair of Lake CX 225's direct from their web site, and they are perfect! They have several styles in wide sizes. Now I just have to decide on a pedal!
Congrats on the find but......what was wrong with the old combo? I use skater shoes with cage pedals and powergrips on one bike and toeclips and loose fitting straps on another, with no foot numbness, soreness, or need to buy special pedals in order to ride. I've heard all the talk about efficiency and have used clip in shoes myself, not to mention old school slotted cleats and real leather cycling shoes. I don't honestly notice a huge difference in pedal stroke, comfort, power output or any of the other reasons people think they need "cycling shoes and cleats". I'd be curious to know what your personal observations are after making the switch to the new shoes. Disregarding the usual enthusiasm of new stuff and coinciding increase in riding, I wonder if you'll notice any major differences in your ability to ride faster or if you'll be more comfortable.

Watch out that you keep your clips adjusted on the loose side, clear of road grit, slightly lubed and that the corresponding cleat is not gaffed from walking on rocks or whatever, preventing smooth release or entry. Don't forget you are attached to the pedals when you stop....practice in a parking lot getting in and out of the pedals before you hit the road.
charles vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 03:08 PM   #5
yeamac
Senior Member
 
yeamac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central IL
Bikes: 2013 Marin Pioneer Trail MTB; 2012 Marin Verona T3; 2012 Marin Bridgeway; 2008 Cannondale Touring 2; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny_boss
cycling shoes wide enough to fit me (size 13, EEEE width). I've tried Sidi , Northwave, Adidas, Nike and Shimano "wide" sizes, with no luck. I finally mail ordered a pair of Lake CX 225's direct from their web site, and they are perfect! They have several styles in wide sizes.
Good to know. Thanks.

I once tried a pair of Lake CX120 Touring Shoes one size larger than my standard shoes (I also have wide feet), and they were so narrow I couldn't even get them on my feet!
yeamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 03:48 PM   #6
CastIron
Sensible shoes.
 
CastIron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Paul,MN
Bikes: A few.
Posts: 8,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ya know I'm a 2e width and find Sidi MEGA's to be almost too wide. I figured a 4e would be a perfect fit for those.
__________________
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
Why am I in your signature.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 06:55 PM   #7
masi61
Senior Member
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles vail
Congrats on the find but......what was wrong with the old combo? I use skater shoes with cage pedals and powergrips on one bike and toeclips and loose fitting straps on another, with no foot numbness, soreness, or need to buy special pedals in order to ride. I've heard all the talk about efficiency and have used clip in shoes myself, not to mention old school slotted cleats and real leather cycling shoes. I don't honestly notice a huge difference in pedal stroke, comfort, power output or any of the other reasons people think they need "cycling shoes and cleats". I'd be curious to know what your personal observations are after making the switch to the new shoes. Disregarding the usual enthusiasm of new stuff and coinciding increase in riding, I wonder if you'll notice any major differences in your ability to ride faster or if you'll be more comfortable.

Watch out that you keep your clips adjusted on the loose side, clear of road grit, slightly lubed and that the corresponding cleat is not gaffed from walking on rocks or whatever, preventing smooth release or entry. Don't forget you are attached to the pedals when you stop....practice in a parking lot getting in and out of the pedals before you hit the road.
-1 on the pedals and toe clips for me. I rode those for years and the difference with clipless is so significant that I've jettisoned almost all my old style pedals. I mean, come on, with toe clips and straps you're mostly mashing the pedals on the downstroke. Good cycling shoes and clipless pedals not only gives a sturdy platform to efficiently transfer power throughout the downward parts of the stroke, it also greatly improves the fluidity of the upstroke. If you don't believe me, check you hamstrings for the first month of steady riding after you convert. You're using more and different muscles to propel yourself forward. Please don't confuse this recommendation as a "fascination for new stuff" as you say, since I'm riding MKS Mapstage, an early clipless pedal design that was last produced around 1990. Actually kind of old school.

BTW: I ride with Sidi Mega 46's and they're fine for me. But I'm just an E width. Glad you're happy with the fit of the Lake shoes. If you're a road rider and a clyde, you might want to go with clipless road pedals of the Look Keo or Shimano Ultegra variety due to the wider platform. You can ride this style of pedal for a lot of hours in the saddle without significant hotspots under the ball of your foot from what I understand. These are the pedals I'll be looking at when my Mapstages are finally toast.
masi61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 09:16 PM   #8
Grampy™
Geezer Member
 
Grampy™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Linky?
http://www.lakecycling.com/

I've got 2 pairs of Lakes..... Road and Mountain both wides. I love 'em.
__________________
Carpe who?
Grampy™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:06 PM   #9
fdny_boss
JitteryJoe
Thread Starter
 
fdny_boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bronx, NY
Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After a couple years with power straps, I would still get sore spots on my feet. I've also really felt the need for a stiffer sole, thats why the hiking shoes. Still haven't decided on pedals yet, though I do have an older (7 years) set of Looks that are hardly used, I'll probably start with them. If I do decide to stick with clipless, I've also heard great things about the Ultegra's. I'll let you guys know.
fdny_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 01:34 PM   #10
charles vail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pedaling technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny_boss
After a couple years with power straps, I would still get sore spots on my feet. I've also really felt the need for a stiffer sole, thats why the hiking shoes. Still haven't decided on pedals yet, though I do have an older (7 years) set of Looks that are hardly used, I'll probably start with them. If I do decide to stick with clipless, I've also heard great things about the Ultegra's. I'll let you guys know.
If you are like me, I'll bet you are a big/powerfull rider and you probably have a tendancy to mash your pedals with higher gears. Skinny flyweights can't often do this. I have had to purposely gear down and spin. Once I did this, my foot problems stopped. I use skateboader style shoes because they are wide enough, with a stiffer sole than normal sport shoes. They have a narrow, rather than flaired heel. I use powergrips and on another bike, loose fitting toe straps with toeclips. The spinning technique many talk about is what you need to be doing and it doesn't require that you be firmly attached to the pedals.
Just unweight the opposite leg, the one coming on the upstroke, push forward, then down, then back a little, in the power zone. To do this you need to use a slightly lower gear for the terrain than normal. Concentrate on a slightly higher than usual cadence. Some foot retention helps but you don't need to use clip ins to make this work for you. You must however, use a pedal with a grippy surface and a softer non slippery, outer sole. No hard plastic soles or small, slick surface, pedals. I think when many say, "riding without clip ins doesn't work and is inefficient", they are thinking about the wrong combo of shoe style and pedal. In a sense, with my combo of shoe pedal and powergrip or toe clip/strap I am riding with retention....just not as much! And I have foolproof silent release.
charles vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 07:47 PM   #11
paul43
Old Fat Guy
 
paul43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SUNNY Melbourne, FL
Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.2, Trek 4500
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just received my Sidi Genius 5 Lorica MEGAS. I wear a 14EEE and these shoes fit with room to spare.
I also loved the EASE of getting them on and off.

I'am a happy camper. Now if the pedals would only arrive.
paul43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 01:32 PM   #12
Dewey Oxberger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bump this back up! So how are the Lake CX225's work'n out! I've got feet about your size (13.5 4E) and I'd love some real cycling shoes.
Dewey Oxberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 02:40 AM   #13
thebankman
Stooge
 
thebankman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area
Bikes: one of each
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try finding wide pedals that aren't MKS brand and over a hundred dollars. The only real options for people with big feet are BMX style and MKS Touring, everything else is too narrow for a US size 13 foot. Clipless is the best option, but it's nice to have non-clipless pedals on some bikes so you can go into stores and not have to change shoes.
thebankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 10:32 AM   #14
charles vail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebankman
Try finding wide pedals that aren't MKS brand and over a hundred dollars. The only real options for people with big feet are BMX style and MKS Touring, everything else is too narrow for a US size 13 foot. Clipless is the best option, but it's nice to have non-clipless pedals on some bikes so you can go into stores and not have to change shoes.
I agree......and just use the wide MKS pedals with toeclips. So far no complaints. The only thing keeping me from riding faster is age and weight. Totally happy averaging between 10-20 mph depending on the route. I notice you have a Centurion Lemans check out my Centurion Super Lemans at:

http://www.myspace.com/eccentriccyclistcharlie
charles vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 10:53 AM   #15
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !
 
fordfasterr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale FL
Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)
Posts: 3,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
strange = this...

I use size 11 4E shoes ...

I use a standard width cycling shoe with no issues. ???

Makes no sense, but its true.
fordfasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 09:16 PM   #16
Dewey Oxberger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bump this back up! fdny_boss I owe you one!

I bought a pair of the Lake CX225's and THEY FREAK'N FIT. My foot size is 13 and a little wider than EEEE so I went with 48 Wides and they are best fitting shoes I've ever had. Not just cycling shoes, any shoes. The length and width are spot on perfect.

My ride setup is spd's on 30mm pedal extenders and I have enough room for a good amount of toe-out that my knees really need to keep from tanking. I'll be changing to speedplays here in a few weeks.

The Lakes look like great shoes. I'll post back in 2K miles with an update.
Dewey Oxberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 10:41 PM   #17
Retem
Paste Taster
 
Retem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.
Posts: 4,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron
Ya know I'm a 2e width and find Sidi MEGA's to be almost too wide. I figured a 4e would be a perfect fit for those.
yeah I am d but I have a high instep and the regular sidis fit like a glove after the first rain storm they had to stretch just a little but not so much that it was ever terribly uncomfortable like my diadoras were
Retem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:35 AM.