Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-07, 11:42 PM   #1
dahoss2002
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bossier City, La
Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My First Century

Rode my first Century today covering the 100 miles in 6 hrs. and 40 mins. for a perfect 15 mph avg. An extra hour for breaks and rr stops. Started on one side of Lock and Dam 5 on Red River, south about 23 miles to cross river then back North to same Lock and Dam on the other side. I could see my car on the other side in the parking lot but it was 50 miles away by bike ! LOL! Wanted real bad to ask the Lock operator if I could cross over the Dam structure, lol! Nice ride for the most part but the last 15 miles, I was ridin straight into the wind, struggling to do 11-12 mph. Seemed like an eternity. I am very proud to do my first century as a true clydesdale as well! GEAUX CLYDES!!!!!!
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 08:09 AM   #2
BillK
Senior Member
 
BillK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland suburbs outside Washington D.C.
Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats (and keep up the good work)!
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 08:32 AM   #3
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
excellent.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 09:14 AM   #4
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder
 
Sandwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aurora Colorado
Bikes: Bachetta Agio
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations...now go have a piece of PIE
Sandwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 09:28 AM   #5
(51)
Perma-Clyde
 
(51)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Suncoast, FL
Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damn, that is a fast century. If I ever toughen up my ass enough to do one I would suspect it to be 10-12 hours!
(51) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 11:25 AM   #6
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness
 
deputyjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Michigan
Bikes: Old Giant Rincon
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good for you! I am contemplating doing my first century this year. What type of bike did you ride it on?
deputyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 02:48 AM   #7
dahoss2002
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bossier City, La
Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Im planning on doing the "Hotter than Hell 100" this summer so I at least needed an idea of how 100 miles would feel . My previous long ride was 60 miles. I'm definitely gonna try to do a few more of these before August. Deputy Jones, I did my ride on a 80's model Fuji Roubaix, A nice steel bike that weighs around 23-24 lbs and is a pleasure to ride .
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 07:15 AM   #8
jcbryan
Senior Member
 
jcbryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Beautiful SW Oklahoma
Bikes: Trek 520, C-Dale Superbe Pro, Fuji Roubaix
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dahoss, You go! Let me know if your going to be at the HHH, I'd like to meet another "lister". Great ride, but usually hot (duh!) and windy some years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoss2002
I'm planning on doing the "Hotter than Hell 100" this summer so I at least needed an idea of how 100 miles would feel .
jcbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 09:27 AM   #9
yeamac
Senior Member
 
yeamac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central IL
Bikes: 2013 Marin Pioneer Trail MTB; 2012 Marin Verona T3; 2012 Marin Bridgeway; 2008 Cannondale Touring 2; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a very nice pace for a Clyde doing a solo century, especially some of it into the wind.

Wind is such a drag (no pun intended). I'm doing training rides each Saturday for my first MS150, and it seems Saturday is the day of the week with the highest wind speed. Must be some type of Murphy's law thing. The past couple of Saturdays have clocked winds over 20 MPH. Going solo into those winds I was pushing hard to keep it at 10-11 MPH.
yeamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 06:49 PM   #10
powerglide
~ Going the Distance ~
 
powerglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Carbon 928, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats!
What a great feeling eh?
powerglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 07:28 PM   #11
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals
 
Dewbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central Indiana
Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's pretty impressive. Congrats!
__________________
2008 Giant FCR3 (kitted up for touring)
2006 Giant OCRc2 full-Carbon (for the sheer pleasure of riding)
2005 Fuji MTB (for the snowy and muddy days)
2007 Schwinn 7 Speed Alloy Cruiser (For getting to the Dairy Queen in style!)

http://www.HowILost100Pounds.com
Dewbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 01:42 AM   #12
dahoss2002
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bossier City, La
Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbryan
Dahoss, You go! Let me know if your going to be at the HHH, I'd like to meet another "lister". Great ride, but usually hot (duh!) and windy some years.
Unless something comes up, like I cant get off work the day before, i will be there. I already have reservations at Motel 6. They will leave the light on for me I hope lol.
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 01:50 AM   #13
dahoss2002
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bossier City, La
Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeamac
That's a very nice pace for a Clyde doing a solo century, especially some of it into the wind.

Wind is such a drag (no pun intended). I'm doing training rides each Saturday for my first MS150, and it seems Saturday is the day of the week with the highest wind speed. Must be some type of Murphy's law thing. The past couple of Saturdays have clocked winds over 20 MPH. Going solo into those winds I was pushing hard to keep it at 10-11 MPH.
Yea that wind will make u wanna quit. If I coulda called someone to come pick me up the last 20 miles I would have lol. To make matters worse, the wind had shifted from sw to nw to get me goin and comin on that one stretch. I did get a good 20 mile wind at my back push between mile 27 and 47. That was nice. Are you gonna go to Wichita Falls in august for the HHH?
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 01:51 AM   #14
dahoss2002
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bossier City, La
Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoss2002
Yea that wind will make u wanna quit. If I coulda called someone to come pick me up the last 20 miles I would have lol. To make matters worse, the wind had shifted from sw to nw to get me goin and comin on that one stretch. I did get a good 20 mile wind at my back push between mile 27 and 47. That was nice. Are you gonna go to Wichita Falls in august for the HHH?
I mean HTH 100
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 08:33 AM   #15
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoss2002
Rode my first Century today covering the 100 miles in 6 hrs. and 40 mins. for a perfect 15 mph avg. An extra hour for breaks and rr stops. Started on one side of Lock and Dam 5 on Red River, south about 23 miles to cross river then back North to same Lock and Dam on the other side. I could see my car on the other side in the parking lot but it was 50 miles away by bike ! LOL! Wanted real bad to ask the Lock operator if I could cross over the Dam structure, lol! Nice ride for the most part but the last 15 miles, I was ridin straight into the wind, struggling to do 11-12 mph. Seemed like an eternity. I am very proud to do my first century as a true clydesdale as well! GEAUX CLYDES!!!!!!
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 09:31 AM   #16
Epco
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats on the Century. I am riding in my first ms150 this spring. I have never been that long of a distance before. I'm a little nervous.
Epco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 12:17 PM   #17
Marylandnewbie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Bikes: Fuji Supreme
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dahoss -- good going man! I rode my first century back in January and I was no where near that fast. Keep up the good work and let us know how the summer ride goes.
Marylandnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:50 PM.