Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ultegra rims

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ultegra rims

    While riding my bike the other day i hit a pothole that completely through my rear wheel out of balance. It won't spin all the way around without hitting a brakepad now. So I am looking for a set of rims at a good price and found a used set of Ultegra rims, front and rear, for $50. And that is with an ultegra cassette as well. So this leaves me with 2 questions.

    Would an Ultegra wheelset be ok for a 280 lb guy that is doing roughly 50-60 miles a week?

    If so, would the 105 components I have work with the Ultegra cassette? The seller labeled that as 11-25 but I am not sure what that means.

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally man, i wouldn't ride those rims, especially "used" - obviously front and rear setup for fifty clams is a steal but more than likely you'd have a future of headache and extra cost on wheel repair unless you can true them yourself and in my experience, once you start truing a set, you're always truing that set....I LOVE all things bike but for some reason truing wheelsets is right up there with cleaning guttters, if you don't stay on top of it, you'll have big probs but doing it is the pits!
    Normally I had raced and ridden Mavic CXP33's while strong as heck (I weigh in the 300's) there's NOTHING cheap about them BUT recently I switched over to the MUCH MORE price friendly Sun Rhyno Lite rims (they make both road and mountain rims) and those babies are bombproof - Do yourself a favor and search out a set of those on ebay or mtbr.com and they'll laugh and ask for more the next time you hit a pothole.
    NOTE: Performance was selling a Sun Rhyno setup for Clydesdales a couple weeks ago for $99.set - that's gonna be tough to beat. Hope this helped.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the advice. This is my first road bike and I have never had to buy new rims so I appreciate it. I checked Performance's site and they are still selling them for $99, but they list them as mountain bike rims. Would these fit on a road bike?

  4. #4
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bburrito
    Thank you for the advice. This is my first road bike and I have never had to buy new rims so I appreciate it. I checked Performance's site and they are still selling them for $99, but they list them as mountain bike rims. Would these fit on a road bike?
    no, you don't wanna try and do that...check ebay or join mtbr.com (they have a roadie area on the site) and see if you can't find a CXP33 or a Sun Rhyno Lite set or even just a rear wheel of that quality will take you a long way. Unless you do something kinda silly, like hop curbs or bang over train tracks, your front wheel typically doesn't come out of true as often.

  5. #5
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll also do yourself a favor by searching out a rim with more spokes, especially on the rear, i ride a 36 spoked rear and 32 in front, more spokes and handbuilt makes for a MUCH stronger setup. Less headaches.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what I am looking at, the Sun Rhyno Lite set at Performance... they say they are mountain rims:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

  7. #7
    Clyde Rider/Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bburrito
    That is what I am looking at, the Sun Rhyno Lite set at Performance... they say they are mountain rims:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
    Yeah these won't work on a road rig, unless it's a Surly or some rig that can accomodate the larger rims and tires, not to mention the brakes, etc.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry as much about the specific make and model of rim as about the spoke count. I'm about 50 pounds lighter than you now, but I've been as high as 275, and I've had problems whenever I've tried to use fewer than 36 spokes. Quality of assembly is also important--a well built and properly tensioned wheel is a lot stronger than one that was just thrown together. And you'd never go wrong steering AROUND potholes rather than plowing through them.
    I assume you've thought about "truing" the wheel, which is what we serious cyclists call it when we straighten one. It's learnable but tricky at first--it's worth taking it to a shop to ask if it can be trued rather than replaced, because they probably won't charge more than $12 or $15 to do it.
    Having said that, if you DO replace, the Sun Rhyno Light is a good choice. I have one on the rear of my Atlantis, and it's pretty stout. Velocity Deep V is another good one.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bburrito
    While riding my bike the other day i hit a pothole that completely through my rear wheel out of balance. It won't spin all the way around without hitting a brakepad now. So I am looking for a set of rims at a good price and found a used set of Ultegra rims, front and rear, for $50. And that is with an ultegra cassette as well. So this leaves me with 2 questions.

    Would an Ultegra wheelset be ok for a 280 lb guy that is doing roughly 50-60 miles a week?

    If so, would the 105 components I have work with the Ultegra cassette? The seller labeled that as 11-25 but I am not sure what that means.

    Any help is appreciated.

    These are probably a better bet

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5320

  10. #10
    Senior Member Thrifty1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    780
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically mountain rims are 26 inch while raod rims are 700c and 19/20mm wide.....hybrid rims are usually 700c and 24/25mm wide.
    Take a look at Velocity Fusion rims as well. I just completed a wheelset with Ultegra hubs, 32 Sapim spokes laced 3x front/back, and Fusion rims....have about 100 miles on them and they are IMO excellent.
    I am 6' 1" @ 211lbs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •