Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Clyde needs help/motivation

    Hey all,

    About me: I'm 26 (27 next month), 5'6" and 270 pounds. I got into cycling last April when I weighed 280 and ended up dropping 40 pounds over the summer. However when winter came, so did every pound I lost. I got a Trek 7000 on March 2 and put 110 miles on it so far. I ride about 20 miles whenever I go out riding, which is about triple the distance I rode last summer. For some reason I can't seem to lose any weight. I'm eating way fewer calories than I'm used to and according to FitDay I'm burning twice as many calories as I'm taking in, even without the biking. What am I doing wrong? How can I kick start the weight loss? I'd love to be able to report in as a success story like the others I've read on this forum.

  2. #2
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you drinking a lot of water? How long have you been riding without losing anything? Also are you riding HARDER or just farther? Do you do any other exercise?

    For me, plateaus are a beeyatch and usually indicate it's time to mix something up. I remember my first one, when I was at about 470. I was working out daily, consuming 800 calories, and manged to GAIN a pound one week. I about flipped! Then i realized I had been crappy on my water intake, lo and behold the next week I lost like 8 pounds. Same things happen nowadays.

    I've found that usually these spots indicate you need to switch something up. Different foods, maybe even MORE calories, harder/different workouts.. something.

    Good luck! Keep trying, and you'll get your result soon enough.

  3. #3
    Member bigmallard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    70s or 80's Panasonic Villager III
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try not to get too technical, but the inner physiologist might get the best of me.

    1. Eat within the first thirty minutes of getting up. This will jumpstart your metabolism for the coming day.

    2. Eat every three and a half to four hours. If you go any longer than this your body begins to store the glucose that you have in your system for Central Nervous System function.

    3. Start eating whole grains and kick white potatoes and sugar to the curb. Sweet potaotes have more fiber and are all around better for you. Unfrosted mini-wheats are great snack, when you are getting hungry. When you go to buy bread look at the ingredients label. If it says "bleached" or "enriched" anywhere in the first three ingredients, put it down and look further down the shelf. No sodas. There is way too much sugar in a single can of soda. If you have a scale, get sugar and put it on it until it weighs out to be 40 grams, which is the average. You'll be suprised how much it is. Stay away from aspartame and saccharine, try sucralose, such as Splenda. Brown rice is another great food as well as 100% semolina pasta. Pasta is ok because it is more complex of a carbohydrate than most people think.

    4. Drink at least 2 liters of water a day. A study I saw a few weeks ago, showed a positive correlation in between water consumption and loss of non-lean body mass. They did a study, where they got people of close age, height, body fat %, and caloric expenditure and intake. The people that drank the water over a period of time(sorry I don't recall how long) had a body fat percentage of 4% less than the control group. Don't let people tell you thats too much, I drink about 1-1/2 gallons a day. If that is not a good reason for you, then staying well hydrated for your rides should be a good enough reason.

    5. Cut out salt. Try to limit your sodium intake to 300mg per meal. This gives you plenty of sodium for regular body functions, but leaves you without the risk of hypertension.

    6. Lean proteins. Beef cuts such as the flank, top round, london broil, sirloin tip, top sirloin, are all great lean sources of preotein as well as chicken and turkey. A goos alternative to expensive breasts is skinless drumsticks. They have a similar fat and protein count. Stay away from pork, just too fatty. For ground beef, stick with ground sirloin(90% lean, 10% fat) or lean(93%lean, 7%fat). Ground chuck has the best texture but too much fat. Sirlion has the best flavor, but don't overcook it it will go dry quick. Not all ground turkey is created equal. Check the fat % content of the turkey it usually comes in 85%lean and 93%lean. Both are good, but try to go with the 93%. Another good way to get rid of fat in grinds is, once you get done browning it and it is in the colander, run some cold water over it. It will get rid of up to 50% of the fat that is in the browned meat. Sorry about the long meat section, not only am I in school for physiology, but I pay my way by working as a butcher.

    Hopefully this will help you. If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to help.

  4. #4
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,016
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmallard
    I'll try not to get too technical, but the inner physiologist might get the best of me.

    1. Eat within the first thirty minutes of getting up. This will jumpstart your metabolism for the coming day.

    2. Eat every three and a half to four hours. If you go any longer than this your body begins to store the glucose that you have in your system for Central Nervous System function.

    3. Start eating whole grains and kick white potatoes and sugar to the curb. Sweet potaotes have more fiber and are all around better for you. Unfrosted mini-wheats are great snack, when you are getting hungry. When you go to buy bread look at the ingredients label. If it says "bleached" or "enriched" anywhere in the first three ingredients, put it down and look further down the shelf. No sodas. There is way too much sugar in a single can of soda. If you have a scale, get sugar and put it on it until it weighs out to be 40 grams, which is the average. You'll be suprised how much it is. Stay away from aspartame and saccharine, try sucralose, such as Splenda. Brown rice is another great food as well as 100% semolina pasta. Pasta is ok because it is more complex of a carbohydrate than most people think.

    4. Drink at least 2 liters of water a day. A study I saw a few weeks ago, showed a positive correlation in between water consumption and loss of non-lean body mass. They did a study, where they got people of close age, height, body fat %, and caloric expenditure and intake. The people that drank the water over a period of time(sorry I don't recall how long) had a body fat percentage of 4% less than the control group. Don't let people tell you thats too much, I drink about 1-1/2 gallons a day. If that is not a good reason for you, then staying well hydrated for your rides should be a good enough reason.

    5. Cut out salt. Try to limit your sodium intake to 300mg per meal. This gives you plenty of sodium for regular body functions, but leaves you without the risk of hypertension.

    6. Lean proteins. Beef cuts such as the flank, top round, london broil, sirloin tip, top sirloin, are all great lean sources of preotein as well as chicken and turkey. A goos alternative to expensive breasts is skinless drumsticks. They have a similar fat and protein count. Stay away from pork, just too fatty. For ground beef, stick with ground sirloin(90% lean, 10% fat) or lean(93%lean, 7%fat). Ground chuck has the best texture but too much fat. Sirlion has the best flavor, but don't overcook it it will go dry quick. Not all ground turkey is created equal. Check the fat % content of the turkey it usually comes in 85%lean and 93%lean. Both are good, but try to go with the 93%. Another good way to get rid of fat in grinds is, once you get done browning it and it is in the colander, run some cold water over it. It will get rid of up to 50% of the fat that is in the browned meat. Sorry about the long meat section, not only am I in school for physiology, but I pay my way by working as a butcher.

    Hopefully this will help you. If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to help.
    Thank you, I was organizing the same general concept as I read and found I didn't need to after all!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess i'm not drinking as much water as i was over the summer. i'm riding much farther and a bit harder than i was. i was also lifting weights over the summer too. i was trying to eat clean over the summer but my budget really doesn't allow for it, as i have a wife and 3 kids to feed on 1 income. maybe i need to start lifting again? i figured just cutting calories and increasing my cycling would be enough to see the pounds come off, but i guess there's more to the equation.... thanks for all the replies so far.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Jamis XLT 3.0, Trek 1500, Gary Fisher X-Caliber
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you getting enough calories ? Have you kicked your body into starvation mode ? Try upping the calories a little, don't go wild just go up a couple of hundred for a few days and see if it kicks in the weight loss. One other thought you might want to take measurements and make sure your not adding muscle and removing inches.

    Shog

  7. #7
    Member bigmallard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    70s or 80's Panasonic Villager III
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you start lifting again, be sure to lift before you do cardio. This way your body uses up most of its stored glycogen when you lift, so that when you do the cardio the fat in the muscle is being used for energy. Also this will keep you from hurting yourself, by using bad form, if you get tired after your cardio.

  8. #8
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lose weight very slowly until I start lifting. Building up muscle really helps.

  9. #9
    Senior Member yeamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central IL
    My Bikes
    2013 Marin Pioneer Trail MTB; 2012 Marin Verona T3; 2012 Marin Bridgeway; 2008 Cannondale Touring 2; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem
    Posts
    1,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lason
    I got into cycling last April when I weighed 280 and ended up dropping 40 pounds over the summer. However when winter came, so did every pound I lost.
    1. You lost weight before, so you can do it again. What made you successful last time? Repeat it.

    2. To keep weight off you have to change your diet/eating habits from when you were overweight. If you loose some weight because you eat a salad every time for lunch for 6 months and then go back to eating 2 Big Macs and Supersize Fries at lunch Mon-Fri, guess what? The weight will come back. Not trying to sound harsh, but winter should be no excuse to put on weight. If you don't make a lifestyle change, then your weight is not going to change for the long term, either.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was eating clean before. it's really hard to do it when you're on a tight budget and have a family to support, but i try to eat healthy foods when i can. i'm also going to increase my water intake and maybe try to eat more often during the day like i was doing before. hopefully if it doesn't rain tomorrow i'm going to do a 20+ mile ride.

  11. #11
    Senior Member mezza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    On the intramaweb thing.
    My Bikes
    Steel geared. Steel Fix.
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lason
    i was eating clean before. it's really hard to do it when you're on a tight budget and have a family to support, but i try to eat healthy foods when i can. i'm also going to increase my water intake and maybe try to eat more often during the day like i was doing before. hopefully if it doesn't rain tomorrow i'm going to do a 20+ mile ride.
    Dude - potatoes, rice, vegetables. They're pretty much the cheapest things in the supermarket....

    A rice, vegetables and chicken stir fry with olive oil is quick, easy and cheap. Just like 100 other meals you could make.

    I think you're limiting yourself with your beliefs. And yes, I used to be a clyde.
    Do you own or run a small/medium business in Australia?
    Grow your business GUARANTEED* www.jumpglobal.com.au

  12. #12
    Senior Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Directly above the center of the earth
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Posts
    3,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry - just ride. Everything else takes care of itself eventually.

  13. #13
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lason
    Hey all,

    About me: I'm 26 (27 next month), 5'6" and 270 pounds. I got into cycling last April when I weighed 280 and ended up dropping 40 pounds over the summer. However when winter came, so did every pound I lost. I got a Trek 7000 on March 2 and put 110 miles on it so far. I ride about 20 miles whenever I go out riding, which is about triple the distance I rode last summer. For some reason I can't seem to lose any weight. I'm eating way fewer calories than I'm used to and according to FitDay I'm burning twice as many calories as I'm taking in, even without the biking. What am I doing wrong? How can I kick start the weight loss? I'd love to be able to report in as a success story like the others I've read on this forum.
    If you are doing what should work, it will work, unless you have a medical condition. You lost weight before, and you can do it again. You need to believe in yourself; no one else can make you lose the weight. I know; look at my before and current photos:
    http://historian2wheels.blogspot.com...-and-then.html
    I've lost 133 pounds.

    Fitday is useful, but it overstates exercise calories IMO. You need to set the lifestyle guide to "sedentary" or "bed-bound" for the base metabolism before you get a reasonable reading.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats on losing all that weight! i told my wife i was considering going back on my old diet which worked, but she was less than enthusiastic because i was very irritable while on it. i did lose 40 pounds though, so i may try it again. i was also doing high intensity interval training a few times a week. i think i need to start that back up again.

  15. #15
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lason
    congrats on losing all that weight! i told my wife i was considering going back on my old diet which worked, but she was less than enthusiastic because i was very irritable while on it. i did lose 40 pounds though, so i may try it again. i was also doing high intensity interval training a few times a week. i think i need to start that back up again.
    Thanks you. Where you irritable because it wasn't going well, because you were frustrated, because you thought you were denying yourself, or because you weren't eating properly? Weight loss isn't about losing, it's about gaining; gaining health, gaining strength, gaining stamina, gaining flexibility, gaining life. If you become irritable, try to determine why. It shouldn't be the result of eating properly and exercising.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I was irritable because I was hungry all the time.

  17. #17
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lason
    I think I was irritable because I was hungry all the time.
    Hmm, I can't say I ever had that problem. I ate lots of good food slowly, and exercised. I stopped beating myself up for lapses or occasional overeating. It's like bike riding; what do you do when you fall off? You get back on. Speaking of which, I'm stuck in the mid 250s, so I'd better get back on track.

    As for being hungry, when were you hungry? Were you actually hungry, or just thirsty? Was the eating/hunger prompted by boredom? Weight loss isn't a jersey you can put on or take off as you like. You have to think about what you are eating and doing, and why you are eating and doing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •