Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-07, 10:58 AM   #1
canuck_srx
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"specialzed stumpjumper"

guys i need some quick advice i have found a bike for really cheap its a "specialzed stumpjumper"
anyone know anything on these bikes should i buy it or not
i can get for 40 today
i need to know by the end of the day though
thanks
jeff

p.s. i posted this twice but dont know where the other one went
canuck_srx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 11:15 AM   #2
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 17,853
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_srx
guys i need some quick advice i have found a bike for really cheap its a "specialzed stumpjumper"
anyone know anything on these bikes should i buy it or not
i can get for 40 today
i need to know by the end of the day though
thanks
jeff

p.s. i posted this twice but dont know where the other one went
How old and what condition? Stumpies have always been the top of the Specialized line...or at least near the top (Skunkworks are the current top). If the bike is a mid-90's or above, that's a killer deal. Mid-90's and older, it's going to have a few limitations that you can't get past if you want to upgrade...most specifically, the headset will probably limit you to 1" which makes replacement forks difficult to obtain. The bike would still be off-road worthy but in a very painfully retrogrouch kind of way
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 11:20 AM   #3
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
40 for a Stumpjumper seems like a great deal if it all works. If suspension fork is shot, could cost quite a bit to repair or replace. Check it over carefully, but I would jump on a deal like that for sure.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 12:00 PM   #4
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a 17 year old Stumpjumper as my commuter. No suspension either end.
I have beat this bike like it owes me money. It is still a reliable daily commuter.
Back in college I used to ride it daily down a flight of 40+ stairs.
I've jumped it off a loading dock. Repeatedly.
We've been through 3 car-related accidents.
There's over 35,000 miles on this bike, and I still ride it every single day to work.

Check the essentials on the one you can get for cheap:
Straight, non-dented, not broken frame.
Expensive components in good working order.
Cheap components in reasonable working order.

If it's good enough to go, with maybe a little bit of cheap parts and handiwork, then buy it.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 12:17 PM   #5
Mudu93
www.markreynoldsfund.org
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Illinois
Bikes: 1993 Titanium Miyata Elevation 8000, Scattante XRL
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would purchase every stumpy I could get my hands on at $40.00 each. Get it!! They are fabulous bikes at nearly any age. That being said if the components are shot it will cost a bit to make it ridable.

Mud
__________________
Mudu93

Please donate to the Mark Reynolds Memorial First Bike Fund at www.markreynoldsfund.org
Mudu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 02:31 PM   #6
canuck_srx
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sorry guys i didnt get the bike as it was all to peices, there were teeth missing off gears and pedals were missing not to mention the frame looked like it was bent to me. but he said it wasnt and it was just the paint makin it look like that any one have a orange and black one.

oh well there will be othere hopefully
jeff
canuck_srx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 05:43 PM   #7
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm with cyccommute most of the way--it was probably a very nice bike in its day, and could be cleaned up, lubed and tuned so it would be very rideable today. If there's nothing serious wrong with it, I'd snap it up.
He's right about the 1" steerer, but I don't see that as a problem at all. One of my mountain bikes (an old one I never bothered to get rid of) is a Bridgestone from about that same era, comparable to the 'jumper, and I still ride it pretty often. It's the MB I learned on, and it's fun to go out and bash around in something you really have to RIDE, rather than just sitting on and pedalling. I have a suspension Cannondale, and I and enjoy it, but suspension has created a generation of sissies.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 08:04 PM   #8
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
I'm with cyccommute most of the way--it was probably a very nice bike in its day, and could be cleaned up, lubed and tuned so it would be very rideable today. If there's nothing serious wrong with it, I'd snap it up.
He's right about the 1" steerer, but I don't see that as a problem at all. One of my mountain bikes (an old one I never bothered to get rid of) is a Bridgestone from about that same era, comparable to the 'jumper, and I still ride it pretty often. It's the MB I learned on, and it's fun to go out and bash around in something you really have to RIDE, rather than just sitting on and pedalling. I have a suspension Cannondale, and I and enjoy it, but suspension has created a generation of sissies.
I still have a '92 Bridgestone MB5 and a '96 Stumpjumper, both rigid. They're great bikes, but as I have become a sissy, I don't ride them off road very much anymore.
__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 04:08 AM   #9
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Posts: 9,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_srx
sorry guys i didnt get the bike as it was all to peices, there were teeth missing off gears and pedals were missing not to mention the frame looked like it was bent to me. but he said it wasnt and it was just the paint makin it look like that any one have a orange and black one.

oh well there will be othere hopefully
jeff
According to this link, 86 SJ's were Black or Orange???
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/specialized_specs.htm
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.