Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-07, 02:27 PM   #1
chunkyd
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot
Thread Starter
 
chunkyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My First Century Tomorrow

Well... This will be my first century in preperation for the Tour De Cure with tom and crazylady in Indianapolis. I'm pretty stoked and i bought a new Dawes so this will be my first long ride on it.
I plan to do a small write up on how the bike handles the trip... seeing that there is so many clydes looking for cheaper options. So far so good! if i survive... we'll see! lol

Been putting in alot of miles since winter went away! and i have more and more events coming up

My moto is this is the Summer of the Gun show! it's on! hahaha


Happy riding Everyone!
chunkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 02:52 PM   #2
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"
 
Wino Ryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: beautiful "Cypress Gardens" florida
Bikes:
Posts: 1,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyd
My moto is this is the Summer of the Gun show! it's on! hahaha

Man I like that. Thats cool. Good luck on your century. I wish I was there joining you and Tom, but I cant.."waaaaaaaaaaah"
Wino Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 02:54 PM   #3
joshdavis
Live to ride,ride to live
 
joshdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Bikes: Schwinn Prelude
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have any more information on the bike?
joshdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 03:03 PM   #4
chunkyd
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot
Thread Starter
 
chunkyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt1000.htm - The bike

I know I know.. but i compared it to the Trek 1000 and it's not much different.. i put the bike together and it feels good, seems to ride well also.. but thats the early review.. we'll see after this weekend and this summer.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
chunkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 03:16 PM   #5
joshdavis
Live to ride,ride to live
 
joshdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Bikes: Schwinn Prelude
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyd
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt1000.htm - The bike

I know I know.. but i compared it to the Trek 1000 and it's not much different.. i put the bike together and it feels good, seems to ride well also.. but thats the early review.. we'll see after this weekend and this summer.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
cool..i blew a tire on my bike, now the gears wont change correctly. last thing i need to do is build a bike and strap my big butt to it.

any ideas on why my gears wont change...im a newb lol.....nice looking bike btw
joshdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 12:00 AM   #6
Kimber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK
Bikes: Trek 1220, Trek 850, Giant OCR 1
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdavis
cool..i blew a tire on my bike, now the gears wont change correctly. last thing i need to do is build a bike and strap my big butt to it.

any ideas on why my gears wont change...im a newb lol.....nice looking bike btw
I assume this was a rear tire? Did you bend the rear derailler out of alignment?
Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 02:48 AM   #7
breadbin
Senior Member
 
breadbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West of Ireland
Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dawes Lightning. My very first racer was a Dawes Lightning. This was back in 1986. Wow. I'd take the Dawes over the Trek anyday.
breadbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 03:09 AM   #8
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyd
Well... This will be my first century in preperation for the Tour De Cure with tom and crazylady in Indianapolis. I'm pretty stoked and i bought a new Dawes so this will be my first long ride on it.
I plan to do a small write up on how the bike handles the trip... seeing that there is so many clydes looking for cheaper options. So far so good! if i survive... we'll see! lol

Been putting in alot of miles since winter went away! and i have more and more events coming up

My moto is this is the Summer of the Gun show! it's on! hahaha


Happy riding Everyone!
May the road rise to meet your wheel..... Good luck!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 05:15 AM   #9
joshdavis
Live to ride,ride to live
 
joshdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Bikes: Schwinn Prelude
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good luck today!
joshdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 11:06 PM   #10
chunkyd
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot
Thread Starter
 
chunkyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm back and it went great! I surprised myself but my riding buddies cautioned my hydration technique or lack there of... so i started drinking wether i wanted to or not every 20 mins.. I did notice i had that extra pump when i needed it too... The dawes lightning performed exellent! how did i EVER live without STI
shifters?

I had one near accident taking a turn hard in gravel.. duuhhh but i somehow recovered and straightend up....300 something pounds.... it would have been nasty! hhahaha

oh and the factory velo seat...almost killed me! .....i'm putting my brooks B17 on...

I PUMPED! can't wait until the 30th ..a night ride in indy!

I have pictures and will post later
chunkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 11:26 PM   #11
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Superb!!! Great job. You're an inspiration, ChunkyD.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 05:13 AM   #12
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyd
I'm back and it went great! I surprised myself but my riding buddies cautioned my hydration technique or lack there of... so i started drinking wether i wanted to or not every 20 mins.. I did notice i had that extra pump when i needed it too... The dawes lightning performed exellent! how did i EVER live without STI
shifters?

I had one near accident taking a turn hard in gravel.. duuhhh but i somehow recovered and straightend up....300 something pounds.... it would have been nasty! hhahaha

oh and the factory velo seat...almost killed me! .....i'm putting my brooks B17 on...

I PUMPED! can't wait until the 30th ..a night ride in indy!

I have pictures and will post later
Looking forward to those pics, Bro!

Looking forward to meeting you as well!
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 09:49 AM   #13
chunkyd
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot
Thread Starter
 
chunkyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the comments everyone! If it wasnt for me running into this forum several months ago i probably would have relapsed into my old ways....

So thank you!
chunkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 05:37 PM   #14
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyd
I'm back and it went great! I surprised myself but my riding buddies cautioned my hydration technique or lack there of... so i started drinking wether i wanted to or not every 20 mins.. I did notice i had that extra pump when i needed it too... The dawes lightning performed exellent! how did i EVER live without STI
shifters?

I had one near accident taking a turn hard in gravel.. duuhhh but i somehow recovered and straightend up....300 something pounds.... it would have been nasty! hhahaha

oh and the factory velo seat...almost killed me! .....i'm putting my brooks B17 on...

I PUMPED! can't wait until the 30th ..a night ride in indy!

I have pictures and will post later
Congratulations! What a success!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 05:45 PM   #15
guybierhaus
Senior Member
 
guybierhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oley, PA
Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OUTSTANDING!!! Will be looking for the pics. How long did the century take and how much did you eat? I'm taking notes for my attempt, some day..

Guy
__________________
BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007
guybierhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 05:46 PM   #16
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybierhaus
OUTSTANDING!!! Will be looking for the pics. How long did the century take and how much did you eat? I'm taking notes for my attempt, some day..

Guy
Lancaster, August 19!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 06:09 PM   #17
guybierhaus
Senior Member
 
guybierhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oley, PA
Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian
Lancaster, August 19!
I'll be watching the weather for Lancaster, Aug 19th. Plan on 31 miles; but if it's to be HOT, I will fall back to 15. You ride the long route, all the ice cream is gone when you return.
__________________
BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007
guybierhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 06:14 PM   #18
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybierhaus
I'll be watching the weather for Lancaster, Aug 19th. Plan on 31 miles; but if it's to be HOT, I will fall back to 15. You ride the long route, all the ice cream is gone when you return.
If you ride the century, Guy, I will buy you ice cream. Deal?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 06:43 PM   #19
guybierhaus
Senior Member
 
guybierhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oley, PA
Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian
If you ride the century, Guy, I will buy you ice cream. Deal?
Still no deal. Actually the Lancaster CB has NO 100 mile ride per their web site...it's 100Km. Again, depending on weather, I will try the Metric Century in Sept. on the Amish Country Tour. http://www.visitdover.com/linksPages/eventbiketour.html

Please don't tell anybody about this ride. All flat roads, three types of pie at rest stops, live band and catered roast pork sandwiches at finish. Manageable crowd. Don't need 3000 riders showing up like the Lancaster Covered Bridge event.
__________________
BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007
guybierhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 07:09 PM   #20
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybierhaus
Still no deal. Actually the Lancaster CB has NO 100 mile ride per their web site...it's 100Km. Again, depending on weather, I will try the Metric Century in Sept. on the Amish Country Tour. http://www.visitdover.com/linksPages/eventbiketour.html

Please don't tell anybody about this ride. All flat roads, three types of pie at rest stops, live band and catered roast pork sandwiches at finish. Manageable crowd. Don't need 3000 riders showing up like the Lancaster Covered Bridge event.
So I guess you don't want me to cover it on my blog? I only get an average of 150,000-250,000 hits a month!
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 07:27 PM   #21
guybierhaus
Senior Member
 
guybierhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oley, PA
Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
So I guess you don't want me to cover it on my blog? I only get an average of 150,000-250,000 hits a month!
Too many people attend and they are going to run out of pie.
__________________
BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007
guybierhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 10:35 PM   #22
chunkyd
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot
Thread Starter
 
chunkyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ummm PIE!!! hahah

I don't have a cycle computer but it was roughly 6 hours something..
it was a metric century Btw i didnt know if i mentioned it.

At the rest stops i had PB&J and Bananas, My water bottle had 50 50 water and gatorade. I would do pure gatorade at the stops.

i ATE like a madman all day afterward.. i was starving all day afterward... but i kept from splurging ....kinda! lol

I don't think i've ever been that exhausted...ahahha..

Oh and i got a compliment from a cutie cyclist on my Calfs it honestly made my week! lol I officially love this sport!

Last edited by chunkyd; 06-17-07 at 10:43 PM.
chunkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 05:11 PM   #23
guybierhaus
Senior Member
 
guybierhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oley, PA
Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyd
Ummm PIE!!! hahah

I don't have a cycle computer but it was roughly 6 hours something..
it was a metric century Btw i didnt know if i mentioned it.

At the rest stops i had PB&J and Bananas, My water bottle had 50 50 water and gatorade. I would do pure gatorade at the stops.

i ATE like a madman all day afterward.. i was starving all day afterward... but i kept from splurging ....kinda! lol

I don't think i've ever been that exhausted...ahahha..

Oh and i got a compliment from a cutie cyclist on my Calfs it honestly made my week! lol I officially love this sport!
Well you didn't mention it was a metric century. That does make a difference. But since a cutie cyclist checked you out, I'll let my congrats stand.
__________________
BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007
guybierhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 10:19 PM   #24
chunkyd
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot
Thread Starter
 
chunkyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pictures

picture174 is from a routr66 ride i did 3 weeks ago..

the rest are from this past weeks ride.

I warned you! i'm huge! hahahah Go CLYDES!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (38.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (27.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (28.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 174.jpg (87.1 KB, 23 views)
chunkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 07:57 AM   #25
bdinger
Chubby super biker
 
bdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nebraska
Bikes:
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go clydes is right! I'm needing some "real" pics of me riding, as it's almost amusing the way that the lycra and UnderArmor complement my clyde rolls

Also nice ride! That white bike really does look good.. keep us informed on how it holds up, I need a "real" road bike sometime, and don't have the bank account to get the beautiful rides i'd love to get
bdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 AM.