Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member JumboRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Big Liberty Blue Cleared for Commute

    Got my bike back from my lbs with the front brakes fixed. There are three places to mount the brakes on the Surly front fork. The original builder put the brakes on the top mount, nearest the handlebar. This made the brakes to tight to adjust the tension spring properly. The 'hand-built' front wheel was out of true as well. These facts make me very nervous.

    Anyway the bike is back. My Arkel Utility Bag arrived as well as my Topeak Road Morph G pump and Alien II multi tool. This means that my steed is ready for the inaugural commute to work. The weather is forecast to be a mile 90F with high humidity and a 30% chance of thunder storms. Thunder storms be hanged, full speed ahead!

  2. #2
    This Space For Rent Stujoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern IL
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on getting it back! Sounds like a go!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Terrierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SWMO
    Posts
    3,138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rolling thunder in St. Charles.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

  4. #4
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    Rolling thunder in St. Charles.
    Yes, a large frontal system.

  5. #5
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboRider
    Got my bike back from my lbs with the front brakes fixed. There are three places to mount the brakes on the Surly front fork. The original builder put the brakes on the top mount, nearest the handlebar. This made the brakes to tight to adjust the tension spring properly. The 'hand-built' front wheel was out of true as well. These facts make me very nervous.

    Anyway the bike is back. My Arkel Utility Bag arrived as well as my Topeak Road Morph G pump and Alien II multi tool. This means that my steed is ready for the inaugural commute to work. The weather is forecast to be a mile 90F with high humidity and a 30% chance of thunder storms. Thunder storms be hanged, full speed ahead!
    You are a braver man than I, Jumbo-din. Good luck.

  6. #6
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jumbo, all I can say is rock on. You are THE MAN!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboRider
    Got my bike back from my lbs with the front brakes fixed. There are three places to mount the brakes on the Surly front fork. The original builder put the brakes on the top mount, nearest the handlebar. This made the brakes to tight to adjust the tension spring properly. The 'hand-built' front wheel was out of true as well. These facts make me very nervous.

    Anyway the bike is back. My Arkel Utility Bag arrived as well as my Topeak Road Morph G pump and Alien II multi tool. This means that my steed is ready for the inaugural commute to work. The weather is forecast to be a mile 90F with high humidity and a 30% chance of thunder storms. Thunder storms be hanged, full speed ahead!
    If your going to ride, when thunderstorms are possible, pick up a weatheradio, monitor your area, and if they issue a watch, for either severe thunderstorms or tornadoes then take cover immediately. We don't want your significant other to be posting that you are now the late JumboRider, carried off in a Tornado like Miss Gulch

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bill Kapaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
    My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Posts
    6,896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You worry about lightning! My niece was struck in the back of the head and only got a little bald spot.
    After she came to, she got out her calculus book to see if there was any brain damage

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca
    If your going to ride, when thunderstorms are possible, pick up a weatheradio, monitor your area, and if they issue a watch, for either severe thunderstorms or tornadoes then take cover immediately. We don't want your significant other to be posting that you are now the late JumboRider, carried off in a Tornado like Miss Gulch
    I don't know Miss Gulch is, but first thing that came to mind when you said that is the scene from Wizard of Oz with the witch riding the bike in the tornado.

  10. #10
    Senior Member JumboRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mission 1/2 complete. I made it to work. Now I just need to muster enough energy to make it home after work. I think before America embraces commuting by bicycle they will need to flatten the hills. I was slow. No flats or wrecks, but I did walk almost every hill. The ones I didn't walk was due to the momentum from a previous down hill.

  11. #11
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboRider
    Mission 1/2 complete. I made it to work. Now I just need to muster enough energy to make it home after work. I think before America embraces commuting by bicycle they will need to flatten the hills. I was slow. No flats or wrecks, but I did walk almost every hill. The ones I didn't walk was due to the momentum from a previous down hill.
    We've been there, brother. :-) Congratulations on the commute.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuerein
    I don't know Miss Gulch is, but first thing that came to mind when you said that is the scene from Wizard of Oz with the witch riding the bike in the tornado.
    The character, in the Wizard of Oz is Miss Gulch

  13. #13
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca
    The character, in the Wizard of Oz is Miss Gulch
    http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/H...96/msgulch.htm

  14. #14
    Senior Member Terrierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SWMO
    Posts
    3,138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboRider
    Mission 1/2 complete. I made it to work. Now I just need to muster enough energy to make it home after work. I think before America embraces commuting by bicycle they will need to flatten the hills. I was slow. No flats or wrecks, but I did walk almost every hill. The ones I didn't walk was due to the momentum from a previous down hill.
    I'm very happy and excited for you. Congratulations, you have taken a huge step forward.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

  15. #15
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboRider
    Mission 1/2 complete. I made it to work. Now I just need to muster enough energy to make it home after work. I think before America embraces commuting by bicycle they will need to flatten the hills. I was slow. No flats or wrecks, but I did walk almost every hill. The ones I didn't walk was due to the momentum from a previous down hill.
    I know that everyone here has walked a hill for one reason or another. Heck, a year ago I had to walk a couple myself! Now I just power up 'em and enjoy the ride. Such things will come to you, but as they say, good things come to those who wait!

    Again, you are the MAN! How far is your commute again? And so true on america needing to cycle commute, now that I've forced myself to commute soley by bicycle for a couple weeks, I can't imagine driving to work.. this is too much fun!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca
    The character, in the Wizard of Oz is Miss Gulch
    Oh, opps... my bad. I said I didn't know who Miss Gulch was, that just proves it. The last time I saw Wizard of Oz was years ago.

  17. #17
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and Jumbo, I remember a ride from last year. There's a really brutal hill on it, and both my riding partner at the time and I couldn't make it up. We're walking up it and he says "I guess this is that "walk of shame" that you talk about". I started to laugh and say "yeah", but then I stopped and said

    "Walk of shame? !@#$, this is the walk of TRIUMPH! Look at all those cars driving by with people who couldn't even get ON a bike!"

    Just remember that, every time you are walking up a hill it is one less hill you are driving up.

  18. #18
    Senior Member JumboRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Well Guys....Not a Complete

    Well, I had made a few fundamental mistakes with my first commute.
    1. I forgot my water bottles at home.
    2. With the water bottles I left my lunch at home.


    The ride home was very, very hot and humid. The good news is that there was no lightning from a thunderstorm. My tank was empty on the ride home. I came to a hill and again had to walk it. The hill was roughly half a mile long at a 7% grade. By the time I reached the summit I was spent...just walking the bike.

    After the coast down the hill comes the most daring point in my commute, riding in heavy traffic through a large 4 lane intersection containing double turn lanes. At this point I cried uncle. I called my sag vehicle.....wonderful wife at home, and she rescued me. I was 3 miles short of completing my commute. I simply did not feel safe riding unsteady through that traffic. It is sad too. All of the hills were behind me and the rest of the trip was smooth.

    I did not ride in to work today. Saturday and Sunday I will ride a flat trail for some distance and Monday I will try the commute again.

    My endurance sucks. I probably won't complete the trip home for a few weeks, but the best way to get better at something is to do something. Water and food would have helped and may have been the factor that knocked me down, but I think it was my fitness level trying to push 353 pounds up hills that really stopped me.

  19. #19
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,012
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rome, and endurance: Similarities: Neither was built in a day! Good try, and no shame! As time goes, you will build the endurance. Just remember the lessons learned and maybe allow yourself a little more time?

    All in all though, good effort!
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboRider
    Well, I had made a few fundamental mistakes with my first commute.
    1. I forgot my water bottles at home.
    2. With the water bottles I left my lunch at home.


    The ride home was very, very hot and humid. The good news is that there was no lightning from a thunderstorm. My tank was empty on the ride home. I came to a hill and again had to walk it. The hill was roughly half a mile long at a 7% grade. By the time I reached the summit I was spent...just walking the bike.

    After the coast down the hill comes the most daring point in my commute, riding in heavy traffic through a large 4 lane intersection containing double turn lanes. At this point I cried uncle. I called my sag vehicle.....wonderful wife at home, and she rescued me. I was 3 miles short of completing my commute. I simply did not feel safe riding unsteady through that traffic. It is sad too. All of the hills were behind me and the rest of the trip was smooth.

    I did not ride in to work today. Saturday and Sunday I will ride a flat trail for some distance and Monday I will try the commute again.

    My endurance sucks. I probably won't complete the trip home for a few weeks, but the best way to get better at something is to do something. Water and food would have helped and may have been the factor that knocked me down, but I think it was my fitness level trying to push 353 pounds up hills that really stopped me.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  20. #20
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely have the right attitude, Jumbo, and that's the old "what doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger"! I know there are many times that I want to give up, hell I almost did Wednesday night, but that would be too easy. I'd imagine that the lack of water and the lack of intake probably did indeed "do you in", so don't let it get you down.

    Also, half mile 7% grade? Uffdah! I have a 3 block long 5% grade right out of my driveway, and I know there are days (pretty much every one of 'em) that I just want to walk up the bastid. Today I didn't have the hammerfest in me, so I picked a comfy gear and spun up it at low speed. That damn hill, I call it either "quad hill" or "soul crushing hell hill" depending on the day.

    I would say that it's a heck of a success, isn't your commute something like 10 miles each way? I'd say that's a victory, and inspiration for me to stop my damn whining

  21. #21
    Senior Member JumboRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I whine so well. It is my forte'.

  22. #22
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say work on endurance and hills, but don't burn out your legs. Try a drive, ride, ride, drive schedule if you can. Drive to work w/ your bike, ride home. Ride back to work the next day and drive home. Repeat. After you get comfortable w/ riding in traffic (take the lane if it's safer than staying to the far right!) and can crush the hills, leave out the drive part except for when you re-supply clothes, food, etc.

    edit: I'm sure you've seen this thread, so you know there's a bunch of us commuting clydes and many w/ at least one hill we have to face. Commuting Clydes
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  23. #23
    Senior Member Terrierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SWMO
    Posts
    3,138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude:

    First, let me say I am very proud of you for doing what you are doing for yourself, you're in the process of saving your own life.

    Second, big changes come about in small increments. Allow yourself the time for those changes to happen.

    Third, it's good to be realistic about where you are and what you can do. I really like seeing that in your posts. Big goals are fine and wonderful, small victories feel good too.

    Fourth, keep at it. My wife (aka Lovey) is a licensed professional counselor and knows about these things. She says it takes about four months to make anything you are doing into a habit. Riding your beautiful bike regularly is one terrific habit to have.

    Good on you and good luck. Keep us posted, we really are all with you in spirit.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

  24. #24
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboRider
    Well, I had made a few fundamental mistakes with my first commute.
    1. I forgot my water bottles at home.
    2. With the water bottles I left my lunch at home.


    The ride home was very, very hot and humid. The good news is that there was no lightning from a thunderstorm. My tank was empty on the ride home. I came to a hill and again had to walk it. The hill was roughly half a mile long at a 7% grade. By the time I reached the summit I was spent...just walking the bike.

    After the coast down the hill comes the most daring point in my commute, riding in heavy traffic through a large 4 lane intersection containing double turn lanes. At this point I cried uncle. I called my sag vehicle.....wonderful wife at home, and she rescued me. I was 3 miles short of completing my commute. I simply did not feel safe riding unsteady through that traffic. It is sad too. All of the hills were behind me and the rest of the trip was smooth.

    I did not ride in to work today. Saturday and Sunday I will ride a flat trail for some distance and Monday I will try the commute again.

    My endurance sucks. I probably won't complete the trip home for a few weeks, but the best way to get better at something is to do something. Water and food would have helped and may have been the factor that knocked me down, but I think it was my fitness level trying to push 353 pounds up hills that really stopped me.
    I think it was a smashing success, Jumbo. You rode much further than you did last month. Before you know it you will be riding regularly and climbing those hills without a second thought.

  25. #25
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,322
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboRider
    I came to a hill and again had to walk it. The hill was roughly half a mile long at a 7% grade. By the time I reached the summit I was spent...just walking the bike.
    I've got a 0.82 mile 7% grade on my way to work, and there are some mornings when the only way I make it up the hill is by the power of the granny gear. (26 ring - 30 cog) I'll look at my speed and think to myself "I may as well be walking." I actually got passed by a runner on the other side of the road one morning because I was doing 6mph and the runner was really haulin'.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •