Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best wheels for a heavy rider

    I have an 04 GIANT OCR C2 with shimano wheels (not sure what model wheels), well i broke a spoke today and had the shop fix it only to find out that i will soon need new wheels. Last yr i broke a spoke and the wheel went wobbly pretty badly,after todays it wasnt really wobbling but they said a cpl spokes are really tight to keep the rim true and thats not good. Anyways i seem to snap the back ones but not the front but im assuming wheels should be changed as a complete set?....whats a good set of wheels that isnt a fortune for a 225lb rider?, is there anything that has a few more spokes and isnt aluminum nipples that will hold up better?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard raves about Mavic Open Pros. Depending on the way and terrain you ride, at your weight a 32h should be just fine. Lace it up to a Ultegra hub and don't worry about it again .

  3. #3
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Trek 7300, Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    3,941
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard good things about the Mavic CXP22 or CXP23 with Ultegra hubs as well.
    Brian | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp | 2003 Trek 7300
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  4. #4
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,258
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CXP33 with Ultegra or Durace hubs

    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...762&TextMode=0

    utterly bombroof

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    slow-mo peloton of one
    My Bikes
    Klein Quantum, Summit Comp Pro TR
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about the same weight as you and I've found Velocity Deep V's to be pretty bulletproof. Mine are 28 spoke front and rear and in about 2K miles I've had zero spoke breakage and, other than a high speed altercation with some RR tracks that flatted both tires (at 130 PSI, mind you!), stayed absolutely true. My RR incident actually dented the sides of both rims (fortunately, I was able to straighten them out) and required only VERY minor tweaking to put the rims back in true. There was a thread some time in the last week or two that had a link to Deep V's for less than $300 a pair.Deep V Retailer?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tip the scales at 230+ and I just picked up a set of 32 spoke macic cxp 33's with ultegra hubs and I am very pleased. They are much stronger than the alx 330's that I was riding on and even though they seem a little heavier they appear to roll much better. I am gaining speed on the down hill where I wasn't with the Alx's. I also don't experience the flexing that I did with the Alx's when I get up out of the seat for the up hill climbs. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

  7. #7
    Biking Gunslinger BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Indy
    My Bikes
    62 cm Surly Cross-Check
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone had a set of DT/Swiss TK 7.1 built up? Thoughts?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late
    CXP33 with Ultegra or Durace hubs

    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...762&TextMode=0

    utterly bombroof

    I'm very happy with my wheel from Colorado Cyclist also, but mine are Ultegra/Open Pro 36h.

    Also, you don't need to replace the front wheel, unless it bothers you that they don't match. I'm on my original front wheel, but my 3rd rear. This is the first hand built I've gotten from CC, but it has 6k miles on it, and I weigh more then you.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Highland, CA
    My Bikes
    Trek 2200, Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gvpierce
    I tip the scales at 230+ and I just picked up a set of 32 spoke macic cxp 33's with ultegra hubs and I am very pleased. They are much stronger than the alx 330's that I was riding on and even though they seem a little heavier they appear to roll much better. I am gaining speed on the down hill where I wasn't with the Alx's. I also don't experience the flexing that I did with the Alx's when I get up out of the seat for the up hill climbs. I would not hesitate to recommend them.
    +1 - I just got a set of Mavic CXP 33's/Ultegra as well. Very solid and confidence building. I'm at 235 right now on a Trek 2200 as a ref point.

    SU
    Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the war room!

    - Dr. Strangelove

  10. #10
    Senior Member adrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Rockhopper comp, Kona Kapu, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xlrogue
    I'm about the same weight as you and I've found Velocity Deep V's to be pretty bulletproof. Mine are 28 spoke front and rear and in about 2K miles I've had zero spoke breakage and, other than a high speed altercation with some RR tracks that flatted both tires (at 130 PSI, mind you!), stayed absolutely true. My RR incident actually dented the sides of both rims (fortunately, I was able to straighten them out) and required only VERY minor tweaking to put the rims back in true. There was a thread some time in the last week or two that had a link to Deep V's for less than $300 a pair.Deep V Retailer?
    +1. Got some deep Vs laced to ultegra hubs -- 28 front and 36 rear. Hand made makes a big difference, and the wheels are stunning and spin really nicely. 150 miles of hard riding and zero issues.

  11. #11
    Closet Bike-a-holic tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Way North of 635
    My Bikes
    '02 Cannondale R700 Road Warrior
    Posts
    823
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 250, and I've ridden a mess of different wheels. $ 4 $ I'd vote for Easton Circuits. For $300 they are tough as nails and perform like stuff that cost 2x-3x more.
    The road don't go nowhere, stays right where it is.

    www.friscocycling.com

    www.hopefellowship.net

  12. #12
    Used to be fast surfjimc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo
    Posts
    530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride 36 spoke Mavic Open Pros on my fixie and one road bike and Mavic Ksyriums SLs on my Carbon roadie. I love the Ksyriums, they are amazing wheels. Light and fast. I'm weighing in at 265-270 right now. Not a speck of trouble with the SLs after 500 miles and thousands on the the Open Pros with a little minor truing

  13. #13
    fig
    fig is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about checking with another bike shop. I have a Specialied Allez with Alex Da16 wheels. I got about 200 miles and then broke two spokes, each on consecutive rides. I went about another 50 and was just about to start believing it was a fluke. Then three rides, three broken spokes. All rear drive side. Took the rim into the local shop, and the guy rebuilt my rim with thicker spokes. This guy I have to admit is amazing. I have never seen a rim that true when I went to put it on. Almost 200 more miles now, and not a peep. Had a flat on the tire going downhill about 40mph, and managed to get it stopped without damaging the rim. It was hot from the friction, but it's still straight as an arrow. So before you go get another rim, investigate some better spokes.

  14. #14
    Senior Member mattyknacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheepshead Bay
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave
    Has anyone had a set of DT/Swiss TK 7.1 built up? Thoughts?
    I have two wheelsets that I use with my converted mountain bike and I love them both.

    Set 1 are Velocity Deep-V rims (36hole) with Deore hubs and Specialized 700x23c tires.

    Set 2 are DT Swiss TK 7.1 rims (36hole) with XT hubs and Specialized 700x32 tires.

    I am 320 pounds at the momment and I ride often. Both sets seem more sturdy then the Sun Ryhno-Lite 26" rims that I chucked out.
    Matty in Brooklyn

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a set of Ultegra Open Pros made and love them. The rear of the Mavic Ksyrium Elites blew up on me and just had it rebuilt. I now have a set for sale if anyone is interested as the front is perfect.

    Rolf Vigor RS's are another option that you might look into. $$$, but nails tough and fast. Only concern is the thin spindle and that they are a bit more difficult to get serviced.

  16. #16
    Senior Member EGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY. Made in France
    Posts
    1,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another for OP w/t Ultegra hubs. I was up to 232 lbs and riding them daily on some very harsh roads and they held up. I think the consensus usually if not always goes to these wheels, and for good reason.

  17. #17
    Senior Member MrEWorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mavic Open Pros. I vary from 250-280 and they have held up for me ona cross bike

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best Wheels...

    Try the Aerospokes (www.aerospoke.com). I've commented on them a few times in previous posts. I wish someone would have told me about them a few years ago- it would have saved me a lot of aggravation!!! There are no spokes to break, so you never have to worry about it. I have one on the rear of my Trek 7300, I'll be putting one a front some time next spring.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Caincando1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dodge Center, MN
    My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.0
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man you guys are scaring the crap out of me with all this talk about wheels. My LBS(Trek, GF, C-dale, LeMond) doesn't seem to concerned about throwing me on any wheel in the shop. These people have been doing this for a long time and know there stuff, and I've told them what I weigh(320) and they assure me that they've dealt with much bigger. They said that the two brand of wheels that come on most of their bikes(I forget the brand, bontrager and something else) have no weight limit and they've had little or no failure with guys my size. They also said to not be concerned with spoke count, they said it's the rim and how it's built that mean more. In fact one of the sales guy goes 240 ish and is running a 12 spoke wheel and has over 1000 miles on them already. In fact the weekend before he completed a one day 400 mile round trip ride

  20. #20
    Still Learning
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bontragers that came on my Trek 4500 seem to be doing very well also (crosses fingers) as im 280.

  21. #21
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caincando1
    Man you guys are scaring the crap out of me with all this talk about wheels. My LBS(Trek, GF, C-dale, LeMond) doesn't seem to concerned about throwing me on any wheel in the shop. These people have been doing this for a long time and know there stuff, and I've told them what I weigh(320) and they assure me that they've dealt with much bigger. They said that the two brand of wheels that come on most of their bikes(I forget the brand, bontrager and something else) have no weight limit and they've had little or no failure with guys my size. They also said to not be concerned with spoke count, they said it's the rim and how it's built that mean more. In fact one of the sales guy goes 240 ish and is running a 12 spoke wheel and has over 1000 miles on them already. In fact the weekend before he completed a one day 400 mile round trip ride
    The Trek folks are VERY proud of their wheels, and they back them well. So if the shop is telling you that you are going to be fine, trust 'em on it. Mine said the same, and after it became apparent that I was too hard/big for the stock wheels, Trek gave a refund for my rear wheel and the LBS built me a new one. That's right, even though my size caused the wheel to bust spokes and go out of true, they still gave me a monetary refund for it.

    In fact, they have some lighter 28h wheels on their MTB's that apparently are "stupid" strong. Strong enough that after seeing me they still let me take that "stupid strong" wheel attached to a stupidly expensive MTB out on a stupidly rough off-road course. And, lo and behold, true as the second I left when I got back.

    Take 'em on their word, but also common sense tells me to avoid anything less than 28 spokes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •