Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-07, 12:04 PM   #26
powerglide
~ Going the Distance ~
 
powerglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Carbon 928, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow...doesn't sound like something I'd want to repeat.

Lately I've been having migranes and dizzy spells...three weeks now.
I'm very worried about passing out like this....especially on a road bike, at speed, on the road in LA...
powerglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 04:11 PM   #27
pj7
On Sabbatical
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
I guess that's supposed to mean something like, by riding yourself into passing out, the quality of your life is somehow enhanced. Maybe you could explain to me how. Because, see, passing out is not good for you. It's never good for you. Oh, sure, it can provide you with something to brag about, if you're of that mindset and hang out with like-minded folks...but it doesn't enhance your health or improve your workout. Furthermore, it can lead to some real serious damage if you pass out and crash hard, and it can also be caused by some serious problem that's going to have ugly consequences. Passing out always means that something bad is going on in your body. So -- since we're on a forum where the typical poster is seeking ways to enhance his/her health and take better care of his/her body -- maybe you can explain how deliberate failure to attend to an obvious warning sign like that is going to enhance your life so much that it makes it worth the (potentially very severe) consequences -- particularly when avoiding the problem in the first place is probably a trivial matter. The whole thing smells of machismo to me, gotta say.
Ok, you read waaaaay too much into what I said and seemed to insert your own. I never said passing out enhanced my life. I never said I was macho. I never said alot of things you are getting at here.
I merely made context towards "I had so much fun riding with these guys that the passing out was worth it since I'm here to talk about it and that I take plenty of risks in my life as is - just because thousands of people a year die doing what I enjoy (diving, hunting, etc) doesn't mean I'm going to stop just so that I *might* live longer."
I already have a mother, but thanks for your concern, you just seemed to not get what I was intending.
pj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 10:42 PM   #28
chunkyd
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot
 
chunkyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LBB -
You seem to find alot of time for posting negative or sarcastic comments but i dont recall you saying congrats or job well done to anyone...

I think everyone got the idea that he was excited because of the run and the fact that he pushed himself hard... not the passing out... seemed pretty obvious to me..

Everyone else posted pretty helpful comments...

Anyways.. nice ride Pj ..be careful and keep hydrated! and keep up the hard work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
You weren't "asleep", you were unconscious. There's a difference.



This doesn't strike me as very intelligent.

Last edited by chunkyd; 06-29-07 at 10:48 PM.
chunkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 12:06 AM   #29
pj7
On Sabbatical
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyd
LBB -
Anyways.. nice ride Pj ..be careful and keep hydrated! and keep up the hard work!
Thanks. Mountain biking is just so fun, I wish I had taken this type of thing up when I was younger instead of spending my healthier years doing worthless things, maybe then I'd not be posting in *this* forum in the first place.
pj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 03:26 AM   #30
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj7
Ok, you read waaaaay too much into what I said and seemed to insert your own. I never said passing out enhanced my life. I never said I was macho. I never said alot of things you are getting at here.
I merely made context towards "I had so much fun riding with these guys that the passing out was worth it since I'm here to talk about it and that I take plenty of risks in my life as is - just because thousands of people a year die doing what I enjoy (diving, hunting, etc) doesn't mean I'm going to stop just so that I *might* live longer."
I already have a mother, but thanks for your concern, you just seemed to not get what I was intending.
lbl and pj7, back to your corners! Save your aggression for the mountain bike trail.

Goodness, at times you can cut the testosterone in this forum with a knife. Surprisingly so, with so many sets of man-boobs among us. :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 03:28 AM   #31
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboRider
I was riding down the bike path with my wife this week at a nice slow pace. Riding in the opposite direction were two collegians riding in bikini tops. I think I was fine until I turned my head to watch as they passed. The next thing I know I was getting up from the side of path with a black eye. I don't remember going down. My wife didn't say anything to me. In fact, she still isn't talking to me.
Reminds me of the time I said "Hey, nice rack!" to a young woman on a touring bike.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 08:56 AM   #32
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic
 
zpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: 2008 Salsa Casseroll, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never passed out before, but years ago on my mountain bike I pushed myself so hard on a climb I threw up near the top. It was pretty embarassing, since I was in a small group of people I didn't know too well. A few minutes of rest though and I felt much better.

Scott
zpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 03:29 PM   #33
pj7
On Sabbatical
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian
lbl and pj7, back to your corners! Save your aggression for the mountain bike trail.

Goodness, at times you can cut the testosterone in this forum with a knife. Surprisingly so, with so many sets of man-boobs among us. :-)
And I thought I was being quite civil, all things considered.
pj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 04:16 PM   #34
UtRacerDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Utah
Bikes: Road & Mountain
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboRider
I was riding down the bike path with my wife this week at a nice slow pace. Riding in the opposite direction were two collegians riding in bikini tops. I think I was fine until I turned my head to watch as they passed. The next thing I know I was getting up from the side of path with a black eye. I don't remember going down. My wife didn't say anything to me. In fact, she still isn't talking to me.
I was in Jackson hole many years ago, I had just started getting serious about Mountain biking. Since we had planned a trip to Jackson, I thought, I've got to take the bike. When I got there I went to the local bike shop, turned out that they had a guided ride that you could go on, so I signed up. So the ride was the next day, only about 5 blocks from where we were camping, morning gets there and I ride my bike to the shop and wait for the ride. At this time, i'm in my mid 30's, the guide turns out to be a 19 year old girl, and she wasn't really wearing much, also I'm the only one on the ride. was the fasted 15 miles of mountain biking I think I had ever done, and needless to say, I never did mention anything about my guide to my wife.
UtRacerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 PM.