Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-07, 05:23 PM   #1
JoeMetal
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bloomington, IN
Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am officially in love with my LBS

Today I went on my longest ride (12 mi) and also with the biggest climb. About 2 miles after I got started and about half a mile down a low traffic road before the lake with the big climb, my chain slips off. It also managed to find its way under everything too and I could not for the life of me get it out. I sat there for about 20 minutes trying to fix it. After just about giving up and psyching myself up for the long walk home, the ENTIRE staff of LBS rolls up. It's only eight people, but it is still my LBS to the rescue. After about 30 seconds and some rigorous tugging, they have my chain free. I thank everyone nearby and head of my way, down a big hill, only to go up a bigger one. I thought that the LBS folks would keep going the direction they were heading, but no; they turned around and caught up with me again on the downhill. I was able to keep up for maybe a quarter mile (since it was downhill ) and then the big hill hit again. They asked me once again if everything was allright before they headed off and then I was left to tackle the climb.

Now, I'm sure that almost any other cyclist would have stopped and helped, but it was just fitting that the people that I bought my bike from should show up when I need them most. Thanks guys.
JoeMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 05:49 PM   #2
(51)
Perma-Clyde
 
(51)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Suncoast, FL
Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lucky you. I'm just curious, how did the chain slip off in the first place? Do you have a single speed, or a multiple speed bike? I hope to avoid ever losing my chain.

Thanks
(51) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 05:52 PM   #3
jbmadtown
Undrafted free-agent.
 
jbmadtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Bikes: 2005 Jamis Satellite w/ 105/Ultegra, Motobecane Fantom Cross Fixed, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Hardtail
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bring that new bike back to the LBS and ask them to adjust the limit screws on your derailleurs.
jbmadtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 06:17 PM   #4
JoeMetal
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bloomington, IN
Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a triple and it slipped off as I was downshifting and trying to power up a hill. I really think it was a freak accident.

But don't worry, I'm bringing it to the LBS tomorrow. They do free maintenance for 6 months. Another reason I love these guys.
JoeMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 06:44 PM   #5
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMetal
I have a triple and it slipped off as I was downshifting and trying to power up a hill. I really think it was a freak accident.

But don't worry, I'm bringing it to the LBS tomorrow. They do free maintenance for 6 months. Another reason I love these guys.
Triples are prone to 'chain suck' or 'cross-chaining', which usually can be avoided by not hammering on the pedals when shifting, staying away from some gear combinations, and keeping your chain from getting gunky.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 06:50 PM   #6
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmadtown
Bring that new bike back to the LBS and ask them to adjust the limit screws on your derailleurs.
No kidding. I've got to think you still have the dork disc installed otherwise you might be getting a new back wheel as well if it got caught in your spokes. While some of those disc are big and ugly, read Cannondale, I leave mine on as I rather it look dorky that take a hit on my wheel. Glad you did not get hurt and their was no damage done.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 07-07-07 at 07:44 PM.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:08 PM   #7
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMetal
Today I went on my longest ride (12 mi) and also with the biggest climb. About 2 miles after I got started and about half a mile down a low traffic road before the lake with the big climb, my chain slips off. It also managed to find its way under everything too and I could not for the life of me get it out. I sat there for about 20 minutes trying to fix it. After just about giving up and psyching myself up for the long walk home, the ENTIRE staff of LBS rolls up. It's only eight people, but it is still my LBS to the rescue. After about 30 seconds and some rigorous tugging, they have my chain free. I thank everyone nearby and head of my way, down a big hill, only to go up a bigger one. I thought that the LBS folks would keep going the direction they were heading, but no; they turned around and caught up with me again on the downhill. I was able to keep up for maybe a quarter mile (since it was downhill ) and then the big hill hit again. They asked me once again if everything was allright before they headed off and then I was left to tackle the climb.

Now, I'm sure that almost any other cyclist would have stopped and helped, but it was just fitting that the people that I bought my bike from should show up when I need them most. Thanks guys.
I'm in love with my bike shop too. The first time I rode a bike in my life was December 23, 2006, in the shop parking lot. One of the mechanics gave me a quick lesson in braking. He shouted "Brake!" whenever I was going to crash into the fence.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:39 PM   #8
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
No kidding. I've got to think to still have the dork disc installed otherwise you might be getting a new back wheel as well if it got caught in your spokes. While some of those disc are big and ugly, read Cannondale, I leave mine on as I rather it look dorky that take a hit on my wheel. Glad you did not get hurt and their was no damage done.
The absolutely best dork disk I have every seen, was on my 1976 SEKINE, it was chromed steel, and had the company name cut out, man, that sucker looked nice. You actually wanted it there.

These ugly plastic things that turn yellow and cloudy a week after the bike gets home, with the spoke holders broken off a week (so when you stop it keeps spinning wheeeee-eeee-eee-ee-e) after that, before it totally decomposes who needs 'em. A nice steel or aluminum one, would work and look nice as well, could be painted the colour of the bike with a nice logo decal on it, make them look nice. Heck even a plain black disk would work.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:46 PM   #9
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
(so when you stop it keeps spinning wheeeee-eeee-eee-ee-e) after that
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:54 PM   #10
madmos
Member
 
madmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my LBS threw in LIFETIME maintenance for free I was instantly in love

And yes they have been around for over 30 years so they can stand behind that too
madmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:57 PM   #11
Pupsocket
half fast
 
Pupsocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Western Wisconsin, USA
Bikes: Catrike Trail (fixed frame) tadpole trike recumbent
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What I want to know is how to get your LBS staff to turn out just when you need them. Bike-Star?
Pupsocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.