Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member crash and burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Going out after work for my 1st 20 mile ride.

    Ive only been riding about 2 weeks. Ive rode 9 miles twice and 11 once and still felt like I had gas in the tank. So Im gonna see if I can make 20 miles. If I dont post by tommorow I havent made it back!..

  2. #2
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,159
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Enjoy and drink fluids!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #3
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crash and burn View Post
    If I dont post by tommorow I havent made it back!..
    No worries there. Enjoy. Let us know how it went.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woostah, MA
    My Bikes
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a 10.25 mi run this morning before it got too hot. I hope to be at the 20mi mark soon too but I'll have to replace my cheapo bar tape first.

  5. #5
    Senior Member BeckyW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    My Bikes
    2007 Raleigh Venture 4.0
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan112 View Post
    I made a 10.25 mi run this morning before it got too hot. I hope to be at the 20mi mark soon too but I'll have to replace my cheapo bar tape first.
    Good try! Keep going for it, and you'll be there soon. My record is 12, but the heat (95+) has kept me from hitting it again my past couple of rides. I'm hoping for 20 before the end of the month, and I think we'll both make it!

    ... and to the OP, can't wait to hear how it went
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woostah, MA
    My Bikes
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically I did a 20 the other day. The wife and I took Spartan113 on the Nashua River Rail Trail, round trip 22.2 miles. Thing is we were moving so slow as the wife had a cold and was having a tough time that I didn't really have to pedal that much so I don't think it really counts.

  7. #7
    Senior Member crash and burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK.......well I didnt make 20 miles. heck I didnt even make a full 10 miles. I ended up only doing 9.9 It was VERY hot (heat index of 107) the first 5 miles I rode was straight into the wind, I felt like I had a parachute behind me. Man it was rough. Then on the way back I hit a pretty good dip and I heard something sound like it had bottomed out. Well after checking things over really good I found out that both tires were low. ARGHHHHHH I could push down really hard with my weight and the rims came close to touching. I rode it slow back to the truck and came home. I dont have an air pump just yet. Besides the fact that I was completely exhausted. Im assuming the heat got to me and the low air in the tires didnt help much either. Oh well, gotta keep churning. Thanks for the support.

  8. #8
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,159
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crash and burn View Post
    OK.......well I didnt make 20 miles. heck I didnt even make a full 10 miles. I ended up only doing 9.9 It was VERY hot (heat index of 107) the first 5 miles I rode was straight into the wind, I felt like I had a parachute behind me. Man it was rough. Then on the way back I hit a pretty good dip and I heard something sound like it had bottomed out. Well after checking things over really good I found out that both tires were low. ARGHHHHHH I could push down really hard with my weight and the rims came close to touching. I rode it slow back to the truck and came home. I dont have an air pump just yet. Besides the fact that I was completely exhausted. Im assuming the heat got to me and the low air in the tires didnt help much either. Oh well, gotta keep churning. Thanks for the support.
    Get the Bell Floor pump at Walmart with the pressure gauge on it, if nothing else.....

    Cheap and reliable, mine has lasted 2 years so far.

    Good try though, heat will take it out of ya fast!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  9. #9
    Sleeper JeeperTim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kearney Mo
    My Bikes
    A 15 year old Pacific Nitron.
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat is definately a factor. My oldest son is 23 and in pretty good condition, I thought he was going to pass out from the heat on our ride Sunday.

    Check tire pressure before every ride - it's a big factor for sure. Have you thought of a game plan of what to do it you had a flat at the worst possible location on your ride? Could you walk out? Could you call for help? I started asking myself those questions when my miles went up and went and bought gear to repair the tire and a pump... and a small bag that attaches under the seat so I could carry that stuff and my cell phone. I still had to walk back 4 miles recently after a tube failure - it sucked. I now carry a spare tube too.

  10. #10
    Senior Member crash and burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeeperTim View Post
    The heat is definately a factor. My oldest son is 23 and in pretty good condition, I thought he was going to pass out from the heat on our ride Sunday.

    Check tire pressure before every ride - it's a big factor for sure. Have you thought of a game plan of what to do it you had a flat at the worst possible location on your ride? Could you walk out? Could you call for help? I started asking myself those questions when my miles went up and went and bought gear to repair the tire and a pump... and a small bag that attaches under the seat so I could carry that stuff and my cell phone. I still had to walk back 4 miles recently after a tube failure - it sucked. I now carry a spare tube too.
    I just bought a underseat bag and plan on getting a tube and some co2 cartridges and a few tools. I was dissapointed but yet somewhat glad the tires were low. My thighs were shot!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome. approx. a week ago I did my first 20 miler. We rode to my fiancee's house ~10.5 miles each way, stopped for a snack and turned around to come back.

    This weekend we are shooting to go past her house all the way to a favorite deli of ours. Should add approx. 10 more miles. so if we make it there and back we should eclipse 30.

    the point im trying to make it, keep at it, continue to ride at your pace, and before you know it, 20 miles will be a warm up...

  12. #12
    Sleeper JeeperTim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kearney Mo
    My Bikes
    A 15 year old Pacific Nitron.
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely have problems with my thighs or calves - it's usually joint pain for me, knees and hips. There's a good chance you might not be using your gears right. I see that a lot on my rides. You will have a natural "cadance" or pedal rate that is best for you. Use you gears to help keep that pedal speed pretty constant no matter your bike speed. What I see wipe people out the worst is "lugging down" on a climb too much. When you see a hill coming be ready to start downshifting to keep your pedal speed from dropping too much. As your condition improves that is less of an issue - but in working up to the 40 or 50 mile range it is very important.

  13. #13
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep on, keepin' on....it will be easier next time. As Tom said, get a pump even a cheap Wal-Mart floor pump if money is tight. I'd recommend one that covers schrader and presta valves if possible too. You never know when you may get a bike with the other type valve....or have a pretty girl stop by needing air in her tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  14. #14
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,159
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    Keep on, keepin' on....it will be easier next time. As Tom said, get a pump even a cheap Wal-Mart floor pump if money is tight. I'd recommend one that covers schrader and presta valves if possible too. You never know when you may get a bike with the other type valve....or have a pretty girl stop by needing air in her tires.
    The pump I suggested does both, KT.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  15. #15
    GNB
    GNB is offline
    Poor Law Student GNB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can do it!!!

  16. #16
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyW View Post
    Good try! Keep going for it, and you'll be there soon. My record is 12, but the heat (95+) has kept me from hitting it again my past couple of rides. I'm hoping for 20 before the end of the month, and I think we'll both make it!

    ... and to the OP, can't wait to hear how it went
    I thought I remembered how thrilled I was to be able, finally, to ride 20 miles. However, checking my Ride Report on my blog (March 25, 2007) shows me unimpressed with the mileage. What may happen is that by the time you get to 20 miles, it won't be that big a deal. You will know that, with time and effort, you can ride anything.

  17. #17
    Perma-Clyde (51)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Suncoast, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Hybrid 7200
    Posts
    931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and welcome to Club Clyde!
    http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forum...fault/beer.gif In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. -Ben Franklin

  18. #18
    Senior Member gobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make it!

    This is somethign I do-- it might be a fun way for you to push yourself:

    Just get out and ride at a cofortable pace-- when you start to feel tired, pick a landmark that you can find on a map and go there, get off the bike, rehydrate, and then see how fast you can get home. Then get on Google-maps and find out how far you went. I find myself going longer distances when I'm not even thinking about the distance than when I pick a route beforehand and just do what I have planned. If you didn't make it 20 miles, no big deal-- next time try to go push yourself pas that point to another new landmark.
    Last edited by gobot; 08-09-07 at 07:39 AM.

  19. #19
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll do it! Almost exactly a year ago I took a 25 mile ride with a group.. then was DEAD the rest of the day. Granted this was a FAST group and I had to push it to keep up, but it pretty much fried me.

    Now I do about 15/day, and 40/day on the weekends (provided everything goes well). I know I have a century in my legs, I just am waiting for the temperatures to drop down below the 90's consistently to attempt it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •