Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Injury?

  1. #1
    MASTER CYLINDER! OuroborosChoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pissburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh c200
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Injury?

    Funny thing...

    Since I started biking, I've noticed I've had a hard time walking.

    Every once in a while, as I walk to, say, the bus stop, the upper part of my right thigh will start to cramp up... it'll feel bruised though, not tight... and it's always my right thigh... or was until today.

    I did a lot of walking around yesterday waiting on my bike... and today I did a bit of stair climbing at work. I never felt tired or anything... but I started to get the same crampy/bruisy feeling in my thigh again... and then it spread to my groin. I'd only gotten something similar to this once before. It felt like someone was squeezing my coinpurse. The pain was also going down my right and left inner thighs.

    The funny part is... it always goes away when I go biking... and it only STARTS when I walk for long periods of time.

    What's wrong with me??

  2. #2
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,015
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Outer part or the inner part of the thigh, right above the knee as well?

    It might be you just need stretching exercioses added in to your routine, but as always, when asked medical advice, I'll say.....see your dr. Better safe than sorry.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #3
    MASTER CYLINDER! OuroborosChoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pissburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh c200
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Outer part or the inner part of the thigh, right above the knee?
    Outer for the usual walking pains. Mid-to-upper thigh, below the hip.

  4. #4
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,015
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OuroborosChoked View Post
    Outer for the usual walking pains. Mid-to-upper thigh, below the hip.
    OK, that sounds like an IT band issue, and can generally be addressed with stretching exercises. I'd see that Dr though to be safe and ask him about these exercises: Print this toi take with you....
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  5. #5
    MASTER CYLINDER! OuroborosChoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pissburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh c200
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

    Can't really afford a checkup just yet though... :\

  6. #6
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,015
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OuroborosChoked View Post
    Thanks!

    Can't really afford a checkup just yet though... :\
    By the way, these stretches are for warmed up muscles, post ride.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  7. #7
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OuroborosChoked View Post
    Thanks!

    Can't really afford a checkup just yet though... :\
    When I see this kind of thing posted, I am so thankful for the fact I live in a civilized country that has national health care.

    Now as to your pain problem, it's probably that you need to walk more. Cycling is a great exercise, however it only works some of the muscle groups, walking uses a different set (although some are the same, they get worked differently). One should also remember to start off slowly, maybe go 16km/h (10MPH) for the first 2km (1¼ miles) or so, then go full steam ahead, then about 2km from the end, start slowing down to 16km/h or so. This gives you a warm up period, and a cool down period.

    You can also do some off bike, for example skip the cool down on the bike, do your stretches, then go for a walk (about 5-10 minutes) as your cool down. I walk about 5km a night at work, so I don't need to work out by walking.

  8. #8
    MASTER CYLINDER! OuroborosChoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pissburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh c200
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    When I see this kind of thing posted, I am so thankful for the fact I live in a civilized country that has national health care.

    Now as to your pain problem, it's probably that you need to walk more. Cycling is a great exercise, however it only works some of the muscle groups, walking uses a different set (although some are the same, they get worked differently). One should also remember to start off slowly, maybe go 16km/h (10MPH) for the first 2km (1¼ miles) or so, then go full steam ahead, then about 2km from the end, start slowing down to 16km/h or so. This gives you a warm up period, and a cool down period.

    You can also do some off bike, for example skip the cool down on the bike, do your stretches, then go for a walk (about 5-10 minutes) as your cool down. I walk about 5km a night at work, so I don't need to work out by walking.
    Last time I visited the ER, it cost me nearly $2000 for less than 20 minutes of actual service. Most of the THREE HOURS I was there was waiting around. Healthcare efficiency needs to come first, I think, otherwise we'd just be pissing our money away.

    On the days that I work (and I commute on bike, natch), like today, I was on my feet and moving all day. The pain came in at about hour three and a half.

    I've heard that stretching before exercize is a great way to cause injury... from friends of mine who bodybuild.

    I really should start out slower, though. Usually, I just hop on... and once I hit the street, I'm up to 16 MPH and climbing... and as I hit the first big hill, I drop down to about 12 MPH... but that probably doesn't count for going slowly for the first 1¼ miles, eh? :\

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    By the way, these stretches are for warmed up muscles, post ride.
    yep, really important that. I never used to do stretches after a ride - simply didn't know you had to - and had real problems with cramp, twinges, etc. You learn the hard way.

  10. #10
    Perma-Clyde (51)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Suncoast, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek Hybrid 7200
    Posts
    931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 Stretch before and after a ride. I even add another stretch about an hour after I get home. Things seems to stiffen back up after awhile.
    http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forum...fault/beer.gif In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. -Ben Franklin

  11. #11
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OuroborosChoked View Post
    Last time I visited the ER, it cost me nearly $2000 for less than 20 minutes of actual service. Most of the THREE HOURS I was there was waiting around. Healthcare efficiency needs to come first, I think, otherwise we'd just be pissing our money away.

    On the days that I work (and I commute on bike, natch), like today, I was on my feet and moving all day. The pain came in at about hour three and a half.

    I've heard that stretching before exercize is a great way to cause injury... from friends of mine who bodybuild.

    I really should start out slower, though. Usually, I just hop on... and once I hit the street, I'm up to 16 MPH and climbing... and as I hit the first big hill, I drop down to about 12 MPH... but that probably doesn't count for going slowly for the first 1¼ miles, eh? :\
    Last time I visited the ER, it cost me zero, zip, nada, and included in that figure was a ride in an ambulance.

  12. #12
    MASTER CYLINDER! OuroborosChoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pissburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh c200
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    Last time I visited the ER, it cost me zero, zip, nada, and included in that figure was a ride in an ambulance.
    ...How??

  13. #13
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,015
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OuroborosChoked View Post
    ...How??
    Canadian Health System
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  14. #14
    Senior Member Terrierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SWMO
    Posts
    3,138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    When I see this kind of thing posted, I am so thankful for the fact I live in a civilized country that has national health care.
    Honest and not loaded question here. How long would you have to wait to see a doctor for a problem like the one described? Would you see a GP and possibly be referred to a specialist? What would the wait be then?
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone in another of our forums wrote about an injury. He went to the ER in Canada and waited 16 hours. He sounded very matter-of-fact about it, like it wasn't unusual. He then went on to say he hoped to get more specific info on his injury in 6 weeks when he was able to get into a specialist for a follow up. Again, he sounded like this was normal. We would get very upset over a 2 or 3 hour ER wait and I would expect to follow up with my doc in 2 or 3 days, not 6 weeks. Everyone is always complaining about how incompetent the government is. Do we REALLY want them being in total control of our health care? The system needs help but let's be careful what we wish for!

    I apologize for not contributing anything to the OP.

    Joe

  16. #16
    Air
    Air is offline
    Destroyer of Wheels Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Creating some FA-Qs
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB
    Posts
    3,558
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to Tom - those stretches should be done a few times a day, pre ride and post ride. Warm up first though, gently jog in place to get the blood flowing, stretch, ride. If you stop for a bit stretch a bit. When you get back stretch longer. Flexibility is a great asset, I stretch often and can give some Yoga people a run for their money. Morning, night, waiting on line, etc...

    Also - do you wear clipless? If not you may be over developing one set of muscles.

  17. #17
    MASTER CYLINDER! OuroborosChoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pissburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh c200
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    Also - do you wear clipless? If not you may be over developing one set of muscles.
    I just wear shoes on regular pedals... My bike = not advanced.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •