Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-07, 07:21 PM   #1
OuroborosChoked
MASTER CYLINDER!
Thread Starter
 
OuroborosChoked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pissburgh, PA
Bikes: Raleigh c200
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike maths!

How do you guys keep track of your stats?

After every ride, I log my distance, ride time, and average mph., then erase distance and ride time for my next ride. I used to let my average mph. roll over, but recently I've been erasing that... for a per-ride average. I also log which route I took (so I have an idea of how far I should have gone), and more recently, the temp and humidity.

So my questions are: do you use a stopwatch or do you only count the time that you're actually moving ("ride time" on my Sigma 1106)? Do you gauge your continuous mph average or just the per-ride mph averages? What else do you record?

Okay, so it's a bit of a misleading topic. There's no actual math here...
OuroborosChoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 07:24 PM   #2
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I just log my last mileage for my next start. Time is door to door.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 07:43 PM   #3
Pupsocket
half fast
 
Pupsocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Western Wisconsin, USA
Bikes: Catrike Trail (fixed frame) tadpole trike recumbent
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On my comp the average mph and trip distance are linked, so when you clear one the other is cleared. I can separately clear my max mph.

I use the average mph as recorded on the bike comp. Unless of course I forget to put it on, in which case I estimate my average, get the miles from a mapping site, and compute ride time from the distance and avg. speed.

Karl
Pupsocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 07:45 PM   #4
OuroborosChoked
MASTER CYLINDER!
Thread Starter
 
OuroborosChoked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pissburgh, PA
Bikes: Raleigh c200
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OT scraps (yes, already):

- This is the first time in over two years I have weighed ~245. I can't wait until I see it say 230-something. It'll be like Christmas!

- Tom, that video on your thread was awesome! I think you might be starting a trend. How much was the whole setup (camera, mount, etc.)?
OuroborosChoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 08:12 PM   #5
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I upload the data from my Garmin into my PC, it auto clears the ride data for the next ride and stores it in a grouping so I can see my ride data in a per ride, daily, weekly or lifetime ride range. I start as I leave my driveway and stop when I pull back up. I also store my data in a spreadsheet from when I first started riding before I got my Garmin. I also use bike journal.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 08:45 PM   #6
BeckyW
Senior Member
 
BeckyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern Ontario
Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Venture 4.0
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made a spreadsheet: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...hl=en_US&pli=1

I have my goals in there for the next few weeks, then just put in the actual miles and time as I go.
BeckyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 09:02 PM   #7
ronjon10
Senior Member
 
ronjon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 2,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'll admit this is overkill, but I haven't found a good system I like yet, so I wind up doing all this...

Every ride:
- Dowload the garmin 305 data to Training Center, Sporttracks, and Motionbased.
- Manually enter the data into Bikejournal which I use as my "official" data source.

Once a week:
- copy data from bikejournal into the spinner miles thread

Every 4 weeks:
- export data from bikejournal and upload into excel spreadsheet for graphing.

You might say I'm a numbers dork, you wouldn't be wrong.
__________________
just being
ronjon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 09:14 PM   #8
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuroborosChoked View Post
OT scraps (yes, already):

- This is the first time in over two years I have weighed ~245. I can't wait until I see it say 230-something. It'll be like Christmas!

- Tom, that video on your thread was awesome! I think you might be starting a trend. How much was the whole setup (camera, mount, etc.)?
The mount is a $2.99 tabletop tripod tied down to the stem and the Camera is a Samsung Digimax S800, cost about $250.00 including a 2gig SD card.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 09:50 PM   #9
piper_chuck
Senior Member
 
piper_chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Distance and average speed from the bike computer. I put these in a spreadsheet. Tracking average speed helps me determine if I'm improving, in a slump, or whatever. I also copy the distance to a page in the spreadsheet that allows me to track distance per week. This helps ensure I'm not increasing distance too quickly. That's it.
piper_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 10:41 PM   #10
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuroborosChoked View Post
How do you guys keep track of your stats?

After every ride, I log my distance, ride time, and average mph., then erase distance and ride time for my next ride. I used to let my average mph. roll over, but recently I've been erasing that... for a per-ride average. I also log which route I took (so I have an idea of how far I should have gone), and more recently, the temp and humidity.

So my questions are: do you use a stopwatch or do you only count the time that you're actually moving ("ride time" on my Sigma 1106)? Do you gauge your continuous mph average or just the per-ride mph averages? What else do you record?

Okay, so it's a bit of a misleading topic. There's no actual math here...
Each day, once I know I will not be riding more, I copy the distance and time from the bike computer to a spread sheet, there is both a weekly and a monthly summary sheet that grabs numbers off the daily sheet.
Not sure what I will do at the end of the year, whether I will copy the sheet and reset it for 2008, or whether I will add to the current sheet or write something else.

It would be nice to have a year over year comparison, at least at a monthly level, but I can key the few numbers needed into a new sheet. I may write a small data collection program and then use some other programs to do the reporting though, I'm an old computer geek, and I still like to goof around sometimes......
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 10:48 PM   #11
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
Each day, once I know I will not be riding more, I copy the distance and time from the bike computer to a spread sheet, there is both a weekly and a monthly summary sheet that grabs numbers off the daily sheet.
Not sure what I will do at the end of the year, whether I will copy the sheet and reset it for 2008, or whether I will add to the current sheet or write something else.

It would be nice to have a year over year comparison, at least at a monthly level, but I can key the few numbers needed into a new sheet. I may write a small data collection program and then use some other programs to do the reporting though, I'm an old computer geek, and I still like to goof around sometimes......
End of the year, I can shoot you a trends graph and datasheet if you want.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:16 PM.