Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Personal Best (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/332078-personal-best.html)

sliver 08-12-07 03:00 PM

Personal Best
 
23 miles today (longest ever in a single ride), avg speed of 13.8 mph. It felt great! I'm amazed at how much I find myself hating certain road surfaces. It really makes a difference in how you ride. Since I still felt like I had gas left, I'll try to hit 30 by the end of the week.

Tom Stormcrowe 08-12-07 03:07 PM

Outstanding! Great job!

(51) 08-12-07 03:45 PM

Nicely done. How long have you been at it?

jaxgtr 08-12-07 04:32 PM

Very nice

brodie 08-12-07 05:09 PM

thats great. 30 miles is a good bit.

Neil_B 08-12-07 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliver (Post 5053472)
23 miles today (longest ever in a single ride), avg speed of 13.8 mph. It felt great! I'm amazed at how much I find myself hating certain road surfaces. It really makes a difference in how you ride. Since I still felt like I had gas left, I'll try to hit 30 by the end of the week.

Do. There is no try.

Tom Stormcrowe 08-12-07 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Historian (Post 5054674)
Do. There is no try.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1213/yoda0cp.gif

Wino Ryder 08-12-07 10:13 PM

Hey man, 13.8 aint a bad pace for 23 miles in anybody's book. :D

sliver 08-12-07 10:22 PM

Been at since the last week of July. It's a wonderful feeling...It's a bit strange to be at a place on your bike, that you normally travel to in your car. It's odd, but at about 8 or so miles, I really felt good, almost euphoric. I never experienced that when I ran. I just bought some riding gloves and it made a real difference. My fingers stayed up with me for the whole ride!

Bill Kapaun 08-13-07 04:08 PM

I know what you mean about hating some road surfaces. I use a little fatter tire to help soak up the vibration and give me a little more "squish factor" for driveway lips etc.

DanteB 08-13-07 05:36 PM

Good job! The next thing you know you'll be doing centuries.

jaxgtr 08-13-07 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun (Post 5060513)
I know what you mean about hating some road surfaces. I use a little fatter tire to help soak up the vibration and give me a little more "squish factor" for driveway lips etc.

I've got to say that I am pretty luckily as far as road surfaces go. Jacksonville voters passed a time limited tax increase about 8 years ago that collect 1/2 cent extra to have every city maintained road resurfaced plus a few other things within the 10 years that this tax is being collected. It is really nice. If you know anything about this town, it's friggin' spread out. I believe it is 885 square miles. That my friends is a lot of roadway to resurface. It is only 140 sq miles smaller than Rhode Island.

Terrierman 08-13-07 06:43 PM

Let me guess. Chip seal is not your favorite riding surface, but new concrete or even better, new asphalt, now that's a different story? Rural Missouri riding here, they just love to chip seal the frickin roads! Have to pick and choose the route based on when they did it last....

Good on you for riding further and faster.

sliver 08-13-07 09:47 PM

That's it!
 
Chip seal. Now at least I have a name to curse when I see them coming. It seems 10x harder especially when I feel like I should be doing 18mph and I look down and am doing 10. I guess it's not wasted effort since I am doing it for fitness second (enjoyment first).

Luke1511 08-13-07 10:16 PM

what is chip seal?

Dr_Robert 08-13-07 11:35 PM

Gratz man! I just set a new personal best over the weekend as well, and it's a great feeling. I used to think that the mall (5 miles) was a long ride... now it's barely a warm up, and in a couple more months, I'll probably be able to jog there! :D

-DR

Pupsocket 08-14-07 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke1511 (Post 5063008)
what is chip seal?

A layer of tar is spread down, then small sharp rocks (the chips) are spread over it. After several days of driving, most of the loose rock is on the side of the road.

Makes for miserable skateboarding, but it increases traction for cars in slippery conditions.

jaxgtr 08-14-07 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pupsocket (Post 5063587)
A layer of tar is spread down, then small sharp rocks (the chips) are spread over it. After several days of driving, most of the loose rock is on the side of the road.

Makes for miserable skateboarding, but it increases traction for cars in slippery conditions.

Wow that so has to suck to ride on. I really love the asphalt, even the bad asphalt so much better now. However, since you have to deal with snow, ice and everything in between, it's probably the best option for cars and trucks, just not for bikes.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 AM.