Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Seatpost setback? (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/345968-seatpost-setback.html)

KingTermite 09-21-07 12:28 PM

Seatpost setback?
 
OK...so my bike fit, PT appointment went well. One thing he wants me to look into is finding a seat post with at least a 2cm setback.

I've looked at Performance website and Pricepoint's website, but only a few of the seat posts even mention the setback.

How can one go about finding out the setback on a seat post?

Tom Stormcrowe 09-21-07 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTermite (Post 5309896)
OK...so my bike fit, PT appointment went well. One thing he wants me to look into is finding a seat post with at least a 2cm setback.

I've looked at Performance website and Pricepoint's website, but only a few of the seat posts even mention the setback.

How can one go about finding out the setback on a seat post?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Seatpost.aspx

KingTermite 09-21-07 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 5309932)

Thanks Tom.


That one lists 16mm of setback. I'd still like to find one with a bit more to be sure.

I have found some through www.bestwebbuys.com, I'll be examining them more closely over weekend.

This one was listed at wallbike and claimed it had "generous setback". According to the Jenson website it has 20mm.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Seatpost.aspx

Tom Stormcrowe 09-21-07 12:56 PM

20mm = 2cm ;)

KingTermite 09-21-07 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 5310065)
20mm = 2cm ;)

Uh...yeah. That was why I posted it.

16mm = 1.6cm, not quite long enough, to be "safe".

Tom Stormcrowe 09-21-07 01:05 PM

The only thing I don't like about that Kalloy is the single bolt system.

KingTermite 09-21-07 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 5310120)
The only thing I don't like about that Kalloy is the single bolt system.

Good to know...I'll look into it.

edit: I didn't realize there was anything different. My current setup is a single bolt system (stock seatpost).

Caincando1 09-21-07 01:58 PM

I'm seat post shopping right now. There are literally 20 plus brands that offer a 2 cm set back. Your lbs should be able to hook you up with any number of them. If 2cm isn't enough, I found one that is 5cm, but that's an aweful lot.

KingTermite 09-22-07 12:11 AM

I think I've found the seatpost I like.

It's by Oval Concepts. R700 - It has 2.8cm setback.
http://www.ovalconcepts.com/products...ere=12&idCat=2

I was also told by fit master that I should switch to 130mm stem (currently on a 120mm). I figured I'd get an adjustable stem. I even found a 140mm (emailed him to see if that was ok or too much). Ironically, it is also by Oval Concepts.
R710 adjustable stem
http://www.ovalconcepts.com/products...ere=13&idCat=2

KingTermite 09-24-07 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTermite (Post 5312854)
I think I've found the seatpost I like.

It's by Oval Concepts. R700 - It has 2.8cm setback.
http://www.ovalconcepts.com/products...ere=12&idCat=2

I was also told by fit master that I should switch to 130mm stem (currently on a 120mm). I figured I'd get an adjustable stem. I even found a 140mm (emailed him to see if that was ok or too much). Ironically, it is also by Oval Concepts.
R710 adjustable stem
http://www.ovalconcepts.com/products...ere=13&idCat=2

BTW....a quick question. I am reading that correctly for the R700, aren't I? It says 28mm "offset" for that seatpost. That is just another way of describing setback, right? I just want to be sure before I plop down the moola.

nowheels 09-24-07 11:50 AM

How about a Thompson setback.....they go back pretty far

KingTermite 09-24-07 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowheels (Post 5323576)
How about a Thompson setback.....they go back pretty far

I still haven't written it out, but Thompson setback is only 16mm. I was trying to get at least 20mm or more. It may be doable as I've found a longer stem than I thought possible, so I'll be getting 20mm from stem, not just 10mm like I thought because I found a 140mm stem (adjustable).

Mariner Fan 09-24-07 12:41 PM

The best setback seatpost I've found is the older Easton EA 70 (Aluminum) units. Trouble is, they changed the design.

http://buzznet-13.vo.llnwd.net/asset...6569220523.jpg


I also use this one and it's pretty good though spendy.
http://www.wallbike.com/seatposts/clb.html

http://www.wallbike.com/seatposts/jpg/clb.jpg

nowheels 09-24-07 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTermite (Post 5323720)
I still haven't written it out, but Thompson setback is only 16mm. I was trying to get at least 20mm or more. It may be doable as I've found a longer stem than I thought possible, so I'll be getting 20mm from stem, not just 10mm like I thought because I found a 140mm stem (adjustable).

I've found the thompson setback seatpost and the Fizik Arione saddle combination work well for me.

Mariner Fan 09-24-07 01:43 PM

I had a Thompson setback and ended up selling it regretfully because it didn't get my saddle back far enough.

The hard part of finding a set back seatpost is the manufacturers don't have a standard way of measuring the set back. Another problem is if the clamping mechanism is gigantic, you loose the ability to get your saddle back.

KingTermite 09-24-07 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariner Fan (Post 5323942)

Do you know how much setback is on that one?

I just called Wallbike about it. I talked to some woman who was trying to be helpful, but I'm not sure if she really knew what she was talking about or not. She thought it had about 2" (that's about 5cm) of setback. That is pretty extreme if so. Is it really that much? What material is it? The wallbike link you sent has little to no information.

Price was about the same as the oval concepts one I posted above, but if it has more setback, it may be worth looking in to.

KingTermite 09-27-07 11:20 AM

OK...jury is in. I ordered the CLB seatpost. I could not find definitive specs (CLB seems to have NO web presence or technical info out there), but I found many, many references to this seatpost as "the" post to get if setback is needed.

Too bad its silver, black would match better, but I'm not particular worried on the "hideously charming commuter bike". :D

All parts should now be "on the way". I think my back is better enough to at least "try" riding once I get the improved fit set up. :)

Parts lists of new set up:
140mm adjustable stem
Stem riser
CLB setback seatpost
20mm knee savers

nowheels 09-27-07 04:54 PM

Here you go......

http://cgi.ebay.com/FSA-K-Force-Ligh...QQcmdZViewItem

KingTermite 09-27-07 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowheels (Post 5347931)

check your PMs.

lutz 09-28-07 12:24 AM

Titec El Norte
 
I am using this one. Titec El Norte. Looks funny but provides serious setback. It is a MTB design, thus pretty solid.

http://www.titec.com/pdmain.php?class=4&series=13&id=48


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 AM.