Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Air
    Air is offline
    Destroyer of Wheels Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Creating some FA-Qs
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB
    Posts
    3,558
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How to get fat without really trying


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woostah, MA
    My Bikes
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all factual though hunh? "You have to bike for an hour to burn the calories in this soda"
    How slow does Jennings bike? Pretty good overall though.
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    2008 CAAD 9

  3. #3
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Trek 7300, Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    3,924
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty powerful stuff.
    Brian | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp | 2003 Trek 7300
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  4. #4
    ( 8n(|) DOH!! Pwnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    Scattante R670
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha....I knew it wasn't my fault!
    _____________________________________________

    I love noodles.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woostah, MA
    My Bikes
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was still my fault..I ate the cheeseburgers, I ate the FF, I drank the soda...I knew what I was doing and I knew it would kill me. Just as I take credit for my weight loss I take the blame for becoming a whale to begin with.
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    2008 CAAD 9

  6. #6
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do wish they would advertise things like vegetables and fruits as "cool" that would be such a strange thing to watch, but funny and cool. Very interesting watch.

  7. #7
    Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot chunkyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Texas
    My Bikes
    09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412
    Posts
    354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1000 - Spartan112 - Amen to that! So many excuses! Tough love!
    ________________________________________________
    82 Trek 412
    07 Dawes LT1000
    09 Motobecane CX
    http://www.thejourneytv.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woostah, MA
    My Bikes
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chunky...are there outside factors that are complicit in our cultural obesity? Sure, but ulitmately it comes down to each person accepting responsibility for their own health. Where I get concerned is when I see the sheer numbers of fat kids...I'm a teacher and it shocks me to see the level to which kids are almost encouraged to eat poorly.
    I was always the fat kid growing up, but if I threw myself then into today I wouldn't seem that fat by comparison.
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    2008 CAAD 9

  9. #9
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting piece. I really liked the diagram of the food pyramid altered to show subsidies.

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuish View Post
    I do wish they would advertise things like vegetables and fruits as "cool" that would be such a strange thing to watch, but funny and cool. Very interesting watch.
    You will never see it, because the profits on junk food are so high. However, you shouldn't blame the government, or the food companies. but rather, the individual. Everything you eat is voluntary, what is the real issue in a lot of these exposť stories, is the children, where it's the parents that make the choices. Children learning what are the proper choices to make as adults, if they learn that processed junk food is the proper choice, they are likely to make that choice for the rest of their, probably much shorter, lives.

    I think the first thing to do, if your serious about diet, throw out the TV, removing those 10,000 food advertisements a year removes a lot of temptation, to just sit and eat. it also means you need to fill those hours with something else, like more bike time, going for a walk, playing games with the kids. Realise that you, personally, gain a lot more tossing a football around for an hour, then 1,000,000 hours of watching someone else do it on TV.

    Second, only buy food that is grown within 100 km (60 miles) of your home, and preferably organically grown. This means buying a lot from farm markets, it also means fresher, better tasting, better for you food. Yes it means more time spent preparing it, but remember, we threw out the TV, so we have the time anyway.....

    Third, if you can make a trip by bike or foot, that is preferable to driving the car. Even if that means, putting the panniers on her bike, and hooking the burly to the back of his at 5:30AM on a Saturday morning, and peddling the 5 miles to the farmers market, loading up both bikes before peddling home, in the granny gear no less.... Not only do you get better food, reduce pollution, your much less likely to buy bulky, over processed, over packaged junk food, when the amount of storage space, while travelling, is limited.

  11. #11
    "I... am... speed...."
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tomball, TX
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    wow

    Um Wogsterca... HOME... RUN...
    Colt45
    uberClyde
    Check out my blog! http://joshediet.blogspot.com
    '86 Schwinn WorldSport
    '00? Specialized Hardrock

  12. #12
    Senior Member jimisnowhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lynn, MA
    My Bikes
    60's lowrider, 80's Cavaletto Centurion, 94 Specialized Rockhopper sport
    Posts
    473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    You will never see it, because the profits on junk food are so high. However, you shouldn't blame the government, or the food companies. but rather, the individual. Everything you eat is voluntary, what is the real issue in a lot of these exposť stories, is the children, where it's the parents that make the choices. Children learning what are the proper choices to make as adults, if they learn that processed junk food is the proper choice, they are likely to make that choice for the rest of their, probably much shorter, lives.

    I think the first thing to do, if your serious about diet, throw out the TV, removing those 10,000 food advertisements a year removes a lot of temptation, to just sit and eat. it also means you need to fill those hours with something else, like more bike time, going for a walk, playing games with the kids. Realise that you, personally, gain a lot more tossing a football around for an hour, then 1,000,000 hours of watching someone else do it on TV.

    Second, only buy food that is grown within 100 km (60 miles) of your home, and preferably organically grown. This means buying a lot from farm markets, it also means fresher, better tasting, better for you food. Yes it means more time spent preparing it, but remember, we threw out the TV, so we have the time anyway.....

    Third, if you can make a trip by bike or foot, that is preferable to driving the car. Even if that means, putting the panniers on her bike, and hooking the burly to the back of his at 5:30AM on a Saturday morning, and peddling the 5 miles to the farmers market, loading up both bikes before peddling home, in the granny gear no less.... Not only do you get better food, reduce pollution, your much less likely to buy bulky, over processed, over packaged junk food, when the amount of storage space, while travelling, is limited.


    +millions
    This is the cure for western civilization's eating woe's. I'm joining a CSA next spring and I might if I can afford eat even buy a meat share program from a place that delivers into my general area.


    jim
    I can ride the solarcycle with no hands.

  13. #13
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    You will never see it, because the profits on junk food are so high. However, you shouldn't blame the government, or the food companies. but rather, the individual. Everything you eat is voluntary, what is the real issue in a lot of these exposť stories, is the children, where it's the parents that make the choices. Children learning what are the proper choices to make as adults, if they learn that processed junk food is the proper choice, they are likely to make that choice for the rest of their, probably much shorter, lives.

    I think the first thing to do, if your serious about diet, throw out the TV, removing those 10,000 food advertisements a year removes a lot of temptation, to just sit and eat. it also means you need to fill those hours with something else, like more bike time, going for a walk, playing games with the kids. Realise that you, personally, gain a lot more tossing a football around for an hour, then 1,000,000 hours of watching someone else do it on TV.

    Second, only buy food that is grown within 100 km (60 miles) of your home, and preferably organically grown. This means buying a lot from farm markets, it also means fresher, better tasting, better for you food. Yes it means more time spent preparing it, but remember, we threw out the TV, so we have the time anyway.....

    Third, if you can make a trip by bike or foot, that is preferable to driving the car. Even if that means, putting the panniers on her bike, and hooking the burly to the back of his at 5:30AM on a Saturday morning, and peddling the 5 miles to the farmers market, loading up both bikes before peddling home, in the granny gear no less.... Not only do you get better food, reduce pollution, your much less likely to buy bulky, over processed, over packaged junk food, when the amount of storage space, while travelling, is limited.
    I know this, I was just saying that I thought it would be interesting to see the flip side. That's all... lol

  14. #14
    staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Blue Racing Ac4AL w/Record
    Posts
    3,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 extra calories a day is 10 pounds a year.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuish View Post
    I know this, I was just saying that I thought it would be interesting to see the flip side. That's all... lol
    Well, like any other grass roots thing, it starts with one person, who passes a few simple little tips to others, to get a wholesale change. If everyone demands locally grown, fresh, organic food, think the grocery companies will not start to stock more of those items? Yes I know that not everything is available fresh and locally grown all year around, but many foods can be stored, or minimally processed (like frozen) for when they are not in season.

    I forgot step four earlier, do not under any circumstances buy any fast food, if you have never seen it, go find a copy of Super Size Me, and watch it, see what happens to a guy who eats nothing but McDonalds for a month......

  16. #16
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    Well, like any other grass roots thing, it starts with one person, who passes a few simple little tips to others, to get a wholesale change. If everyone demands locally grown, fresh, organic food, think the grocery companies will not start to stock more of those items? Yes I know that not everything is available fresh and locally grown all year around, but many foods can be stored, or minimally processed (like frozen) for when they are not in season.

    I forgot step four earlier, do not under any circumstances buy any fast food, if you have never seen it, go find a copy of Super Size Me, and watch it, see what happens to a guy who eats nothing but McDonalds for a month......
    I've seen it, thanks for the info anyways

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •