Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Bike Un-Friendly Businesses (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/382112-bike-un-friendly-businesses.html)

FractalSquirrel 01-24-08 04:39 PM

Bike Un-Friendly Businesses
 
My hair is overgrown and my usual stylist (who is very into bicycles, even to the point of making his own parts now on his CNC mill) has quit doing hair in favor of being a full-time machinist.

I went to the parking lot of the salon that is catercorner from where I live. They had a sign that said NO BICYCLES IN PARKING LOT.

Walking in, I was asked if they could help me.

I replied, "I was going to get a haircut, but you have a no bicycles policy. Since you are trying to f*** up the environment, I won't do business with you."

They were p**ed off, but not as much as I am that SUV driving cows are actually TRYING to keep people overweight and the planet polluted.

markhr 01-24-08 04:52 PM

Buzz cut FTW - means it's DIY and you save money

http://galleries.lycos.co.uk/d/14734-2/portman.jpghttp://images.askmen.com/galleries/m...-picture-1.jpg

Air 01-24-08 05:06 PM

No reason to curse them out - could have said the same thing and ask why they have that policy. Maybe they had a lot of vandalism with kids on bikes and wanted a reason to get them off the property and would have let you bring it inside.

Pinyon 01-24-08 05:37 PM

I probably would not have cursed at them either, but probably would have said something about it. You don't have to buy anything in that store ever again, but I make it a rule not to be rude or confrontational either. I don't want to make anyone angry at cyclists that may be driving a motor vehicle near me or other cyclists when we're in traffic later on.

Lots of us around here also avoid bike-unfreindly businesses. There is a big bike culture around here, with lots of roadies, and the word gets around as to which places go out of their way to be unfreindly and unwelcoming. That also holds true for convenience stores located 20-30 miles out on the prairie, well away from the urban and sub-urban centers. The only shopping centers or stores close to towns around here that DON'T have bike racks for you to lock your bike at, DELIBERATELY TOOK THEM OUT after the place was originally built. Which is okay, because when we are on a long, hot ride out on the prairie, and it is over 100 F (38 C), you can always find a place with a free water hose to fill your water bottle with, and share food with other riders, and wait until you come to a store/town on the way back home and give them our business. I don't go to those stores when I'm driving through, either...

Have fun out there!

CastIron 01-24-08 06:14 PM

Yeah, that was mature. I'm on the self-barber plan myself.

bigbossman 01-24-08 06:27 PM

I did some contract work in another town a while ago. The commercial parking lots I had to frequent were chock full of miscreants from the local high and middle schools, buzzing around on bmx bikes and making a general nuisance of themselves. Even saw some drugs/money change hands every once in a while.

Seems like a good policy, in that light.

flip18436572 01-24-08 07:03 PM

Our small town has a square that was the center of town and that is where all of the businesses were. Quite a few years ago, we had major problems with BMX bikes destroying property and other problems, so they made it illegal to ride bikes or skateboards within the area. I ride early in the morning and ride right through the area and stop at the stop signs just like any other vehicle would. I have never been stopped by the police, even though they have seen me in the area. They know I am trying to get exercise, and not to destroy the downtown fountain and businesses, but there is usually a reason for the removal of such things or in our case a city ordinance had to be put into the law books.

It is really too bad, because we have outdoor summer concerts in the summer, and I would like to ride my bike there, but I can't.

robtown 01-24-08 07:22 PM

Both my barber and dentist let me bring my bike into their business. Since it's 18 miles from home I don't pedal every time.

Tom Stormcrowe 01-24-08 08:32 PM

I do my own barbering.....

You've seen my hair, it looks pretty decent, especially for a guy that is a DIY barber ;)

FractalSquirrel 01-24-08 10:45 PM

If a business has a problem with vandals, they should call the police on the VANDALS, not on cyclists.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool misanthrope anyways. I feel strongly that the laissez-faire economic model doesn't work and that the marketplace is too stupid and apathetic to make positive changes to the businesses, and that calm rational talk is simply ignored.

I don't think I did any good by being agressive, but at least I made some c***s day a little more miserable.

Cycling has brought a change in me, I'm not a shut-in anymore. I'm out where motorists throw bottles at me, I won't physically harm anyone unless to defend myself (in which case, I'll fill their chest with 40 caliber holes in a very short time), however if someone makes themselves my enemy, I will reciprocate in kind.

Mazama 01-25-08 02:32 AM

Maybe someone got hit or backed over in their lot before and they don't want the liability risk? Frivolous lawsuits and greedy lawyers are ruining this country faster than the carbon belching SUV's are.

I appreciate you taking a stand for what you believe in. Did you find another shop?

I'd LOVE to learn how to cut my own hair. Any tips? Websites?

MikeR 01-25-08 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FractalSquirrel (Post 6045982)
I don't think I did any good by being agressive, but at least I made some c***s day a little more miserable.

... I'm not a shut-in anymore. I'm out where motorists throw bottles at me, I won't physically harm anyone unless to defend myself (in which case, I'll fill their chest with 40 caliber holes in a very short time), however if someone makes themselves my enemy, I will reciprocate in kind.

Wow - ever see a movie called "Taxi Driver"? You sound like him.

spencejm 01-25-08 10:06 AM

Good job! I can't think of a better way to change their misguided opinion of bicycle riders than to walk in and curse at them about the environment. Just becuase a business doesn't want a bunch of little pukes screwing around in their parking lot doesn't mean they want to **** and burn your precious little trees. I ride a bicycle and I drive an SUV. So what?

How about walking in, finding out why they have that policy and then, like a mature adult, trying to educate them. You might make an ally or at least change their policy. All you managed to do was confirm that their policy is a good one. Who would want someone like you in their business?

Joe

Tom Stormcrowe 01-25-08 11:03 AM

Get a decent set of clippers and a complete Guide kit. Wahl makes one, relatively cheaply too!

Mine was on sale at Walmart a couple of years ago for $25.00 after sales tax.It's worked out so far to about $0.25 per haicut and dropping ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazama (Post 6046600)
Maybe someone got hit or backed over in their lot before and they don't want the liability risk? Frivolous lawsuits and greedy lawyers are ruining this country faster than the carbon belching SUV's are.

I appreciate you taking a stand for what you believe in. Did you find another shop?

I'd LOVE to learn how to cut my own hair. Any tips? Websites?


Caincando1 01-25-08 12:57 PM

I guess I see both sides of the argument. Lets say for example they were in fact having issues with kid riding BMX bikes in the parking lot. Instead of putting up a sign that said "no bike in the parking lot" should they have put up a sign that said "no kids in the parking lot". Well no, because the kids nor the bikes in general are the problem.

bigbossman 01-25-08 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazama (Post 6046600)
Maybe someone got hit or backed over in their lot before and they don't want the liability risk?

Maybe they don't have an option - maybe it is a landlord requirement.

But, teeing off on the counter help while having no real idea why the policy exists is definitely the way to go. Social skills are old fashioned, and have no place in modern society.

Bill Kapaun 01-25-08 01:36 PM

My local courthouse has a no bicycles/skateboards sign about 10 feet from their bike rack!

flip18436572 01-25-08 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun (Post 6049275)
My local courthouse has a no bicycles/skateboards sign about 10 feet from their bike rack!

Now that is funny!!!

How about a picture????

bautieri 01-25-08 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FractalSquirrel (Post 6045982)
I'm out where motorists throw bottles at me, I won't physically harm anyone unless to defend myself (in which case, I'll fill their chest with 40 caliber holes in a very short time).

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/4098/lfrancisxk6.jpg

Seriously, all you did was b*tch out the poor person who simply works there with no influence on the rules. Way to make their day a little more miserable.

*golf clap

tpelle 01-25-08 02:14 PM

Ditch the stylist and go to a barber! Sit in the chair and argue about politics and look at gun magazines! Get your testosterone level back up, man!

I can't believe the number of guys that go to boo-tay parlors to get their hair cut! It's all a conspiracy - the wussification of Americuh!

flip18436572 01-25-08 02:41 PM

If I wanted a shaved head or a crappy flat top, I would go to a barber. Otherwise I will continue to get the hair cut I want from somebody that doesn't suck at cutting hair. :-)

MikeR 01-25-08 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpelle (Post 6049535)
Ditch the stylist and go to a barber! Sit in the chair and argue about politics and look at gun magazines! Get your testosterone level back up, man!

I can't believe the number of guys that go to boo-tay parlors to get their hair cut! It's all a conspiracy - the wussification of Americuh!

At WAY jacked up prices.

FractalSquirrel 01-30-08 09:54 PM

The barber around here does a terrible job, and I can't just shave off my head due to the need for conservative hair. Turns out my stylist still does private appointments, his main job being machining now.

This shop is a small business, I doubt they have hired counter people, and know it doesn't have corporate policy. I disagree with anyone who figures that logical reasoning works, I don't have that much faith in humanity. If they put up a sign, they are pretty much set in being an enemy to bicycles. Those are the same type of people who throw stuff at us so they are wastes of skin.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 AM.