Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Got a Job at a LBS~

    So yeah, I got a job at a local bike shop today! Went in for the interview, and they hired me on the spot. They sell Specialized bikes, anyone know anything about them? I mean, I know you do, that's why I'm asking, I want to do some research so I know about what I'm selling. Ya know?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Big Beautiful Bicyclist - Athena til I'm not.
    ~My Art!~

  2. #2
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,230
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So get on the specialized website!

    Also get on the competitors' sites and know what they are selling.

    I've got a 17 year old Specialized Hard Rock that is wonderfuly reliable as a commuter bike with fenders, street tires and a rack. That's all I know.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  3. #3
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to work for a specialized dealer way back when. They are very easy to work with and they make great products that basically sell themselves. In my experience even the not-so-bright Specialized reps are very knowledgeable and can get you up to speed on their line in short order.

    The only problem is the employee purchase program which will suck your bank account dry in no time.

  4. #4
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's cool . Are you dealing with customers up front, or being a wrench in back? That is such a significant step forward for Clydes/Athenas, that your LBS recognises that Clydes and Athenas are out there buying bikes.

    Congratulations!

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  5. #5
    Senior Member Trucker_JDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
    Wow! That's cool . Are you dealing with customers up front, or being a wrench in back? That is such a significant step forward for Clydes/Athenas, that your LBS recognises that Clydes and Athenas are out there buying bikes.

    Congratulations!

    East Hill
    Great point, I would rather talk to someone that doesn't look like they where born on a cycle. I would feel like they understood what I was going threw a lot more.

  6. #6
    in the ground SHOwned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are up front, you should ride each different model they have...like a test ride, but longer so you pick up the nuances of each frame and ride characteristics. sounds like a sweet job
    As far as i know, it's illegal to wear spandex or lycra when not on a bicycle or outside of 10 feet from the one you were riding. please, check your state laws.

  7. #7
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
    I used to work for a specialized dealer way back when. They are very easy to work with and they make great products that basically sell themselves. In my experience even the not-so-bright Specialized reps are very knowledgeable and can get you up to speed on their line in short order.

    The only problem is the employee purchase program which will suck your bank account dry in no time.
    Oh god I hope not, I can't afford to buy stuff all the time. X_X
    -----------------------------------------------
    Big Beautiful Bicyclist - Athena til I'm not.
    ~My Art!~

  8. #8
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
    Wow! That's cool . Are you dealing with customers up front, or being a wrench in back? That is such a significant step forward for Clydes/Athenas, that your LBS recognises that Clydes and Athenas are out there buying bikes.

    Congratulations!

    East Hill
    I'll deal w/ customers upfront for now, I do REALLY want to learn to be a wrench in the back though. It's one of the main reasons why I applied to work there, I want to know how to fix bikes.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Big Beautiful Bicyclist - Athena til I'm not.
    ~My Art!~

  9. #9
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Trek 7300, Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    3,931
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool. Congrats. I liked to get a gig at the LBS that sells Cannondale, so when I ready for the SystemSix I can take full advantage of the employee discount.
    Brian | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp | 2003 Trek 7300
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  10. #10
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
    That's cool. Congrats. I liked to get a gig at the LBS that sells Cannondale, so when I ready for the SystemSix I can take full advantage of the employee discount.
    Any Trek dealer want to hire me? I'll work for a 520!

  11. #11
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might even have my first customer! My friend that I met at weight watchers and were talking and I showed her Tom Stormcrowe's pictures and she got inspired, she said she was always too scared to get a bike cause she's big but I told her I'd ride with her, and I think she may come and get a bike from me. I might be getting a new biking buddy!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Big Beautiful Bicyclist - Athena til I'm not.
    ~My Art!~

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with the new Job,

    Get a copy of the 08 Specialized Bikes and equipment manual , Your shop will have one
    Its a big book with all the latest products in it

  13. #13
    another cat...FAB! stevesurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    1st star to the right...
    My Bikes
    Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuish View Post
    So yeah, I got a job at a local bike shop today! Went in for the interview, and they hired me on the spot. They sell Specialized bikes, anyone know anything about them? I mean, I know you do, that's why I'm asking, I want to do some research so I know about what I'm selling. Ya know?
    Good luck with the job! I don't know about Specialized bikes, but the Specialized Toupe Team Saddle is amazing and comfortable - get one.

  14. #14
    Big Ring Masher BikeDork02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek Madone 5.5 PRO
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Any Trek dealer want to hire me? I'll work for a 520!
    Move to Orange County, CA. We need people bad in my shop. I'm the purchaser/InventoryControl/Receiving Guy and Ive been helping cover the floor all WEEK! Not to mention our service department needs people too. We lost one mechanic to a new career and my service manager is out for cancer treatment, please say a prayer for Joe Schraff if that is your belief. He needs all the prayers he can get.

    Anyways, sry I took my frustrations out on the thread. Sry

    As for working at a specialized shop, congrats and good luck to you. I dunno about specialized but they may have online curriculum much like Trek does. Get that stuff into your mind quick and start drinking the kool-aid as they all say. Then in the long run, build a few of the bikes. Take all day if you have to, its the best way to learn. Also try to get out to your competitors in the area, make good relationships, and ask them if you can try one of there demos to compare your brand to theirs. Be honest with your clients. Tell them what is good about your brand and never bash another brand. Point out the good things about yours and what sets you apart. These are just a few things that I have found that help me sell road bikes especially. Good luck to you. PM me if you have any specific questions. I would be more than happy to help one of my fellow clyde bike shop employees
    -Road-2009 Trek Madone 5.5 PRO
    -Cruiser-Cheap Target Hunk O Junk

  15. #15
    in the ground SHOwned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesurf View Post
    Good luck with the job! I don't know about Specialized bikes, but the Specialized Toupe Team Saddle is amazing and comfortable - get one.
    i keep hearing this over and over...i'm gonna have to start looking for one. i think i am gonna need the taint cutout.
    As far as i know, it's illegal to wear spandex or lycra when not on a bicycle or outside of 10 feet from the one you were riding. please, check your state laws.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chili, NY
    My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Posts
    734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Luck with the New Job.

    I've worked Bike Shops as the needs arise. 15 years ago it was to help make ends meet due to the kids and such. Last Spring it was due to me parking my Butt in the LazyBoy too much after becoming an empty nester.

    It is so nice because I can work MY schedule, but I am flexible enough to help when times are hectic also.

    Right now it's a lot of fun due to the influx of new bikes and then the excitement of the Customers knowing that spring is almost here. We've had some busy Saturdays already this year and it's building earlier than I can remember. That's GOOD news for our part of NY State.

    Specialized make a fine line of bicycles. They easily compete against any other brand to be mentioned out there. It is a WIDE line to have product knowledge of because the have a bike at every price point and for every need. My advice is to break it down to sub groups that have the same or similar frames, and then understand the part differences between those bikes. It'll be tough to figure some of this out at first. If you need to, have the catalog in front of you and if you don't know something, look it up and give the textbook answer. Don't BS the customer!

    Again, Good Luck!
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

  17. #17
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeDork02 View Post
    Move to Orange County, CA. We need people bad in my shop. I'm the purchaser/InventoryControl/Receiving Guy and Ive been helping cover the floor all WEEK! Not to mention our service department needs people too. We lost one mechanic to a new career and my service manager is out for cancer treatment, please say a prayer for Joe Schraff if that is your belief. He needs all the prayers he can get.

    Anyways, sry I took my frustrations out on the thread. Sry

    As for working at a specialized shop, congrats and good luck to you. I dunno about specialized but they may have online curriculum much like Trek does. Get that stuff into your mind quick and start drinking the kool-aid as they all say. Then in the long run, build a few of the bikes. Take all day if you have to, its the best way to learn. Also try to get out to your competitors in the area, make good relationships, and ask them if you can try one of there demos to compare your brand to theirs. Be honest with your clients. Tell them what is good about your brand and never bash another brand. Point out the good things about yours and what sets you apart. These are just a few things that I have found that help me sell road bikes especially. Good luck to you. PM me if you have any specific questions. I would be more than happy to help one of my fellow clyde bike shop employees
    Hehe but I'm an athena
    -----------------------------------------------
    Big Beautiful Bicyclist - Athena til I'm not.
    ~My Art!~

  18. #18
    Senior Member Swimjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    On Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Klein Quantum, Sanwa, Schwinn Le Tour
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres a young lady about my age(uh hem) in my local bike club who has one and she's really fast. She can keep up with the greyhounds on a 25 mile training ride, so Specialized can't be too bad. I've never really looked closely at the bike, but they have a decent rep, even up here in Trek land. Take time with the customers, be patient, No bs and be patient. Did I mention being patient??? When I bought my Klein I went to at least three bike shops before I found someone I could work with. He spent about three hours with me on the sales floor and had me test drive several bikes. I was never presurred or hurried. The result, I bought the bike from him as well as helmet, pedals, gloves, water bottles, extra tubes, etc. Furthermore I have sent several customers to him and most of them also bought bikes. He knows his bikes and just as important knows how to fit one. Proper fitting is very important for the customer to get the most out their bike. Good luck with the job!

    Jim

  19. #19
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ang1sgt View Post
    Good Luck with the New Job.

    I've worked Bike Shops as the needs arise. 15 years ago it was to help make ends meet due to the kids and such. Last Spring it was due to me parking my Butt in the LazyBoy too much after becoming an empty nester.

    It is so nice because I can work MY schedule, but I am flexible enough to help when times are hectic also.

    Right now it's a lot of fun due to the influx of new bikes and then the excitement of the Customers knowing that spring is almost here. We've had some busy Saturdays already this year and it's building earlier than I can remember. That's GOOD news for our part of NY State.

    Specialized make a fine line of bicycles. They easily compete against any other brand to be mentioned out there. It is a WIDE line to have product knowledge of because the have a bike at every price point and for every need. My advice is to break it down to sub groups that have the same or similar frames, and then understand the part differences between those bikes. It'll be tough to figure some of this out at first. If you need to, have the catalog in front of you and if you don't know something, look it up and give the textbook answer. Don't BS the customer!

    Again, Good Luck!
    I would never bs the customer! That's not my style. My husband was the best salesman when he worked at sears number wise because he was honest and built a trust with his customers who came back to him and asked for him specifically because they KNEW he would not bs them and I will do the same for my customers.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Big Beautiful Bicyclist - Athena til I'm not.
    ~My Art!~

  20. #20
    Senior Member BigBlueToe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Posts
    3,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Specialized fan. Over the years I've bought 6 Specialized bikes for myself and my family, plus tires and gloves. I think they make good bikes and I always look at them when considering a new purchase. They're not the cheapest, but I feel like they're well-engineered. Every one I've ever bought is still in use and still works fine - no failures of any kind.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

    If you can, take the Park Tool School to learn about fixing bikes. I took it from a custom frame builder (Winterborne) and learned a LOT.

    Read as much as possible online, especially Sheldon Brown rest his soul, and spend time here.

    Must be Specialized week or something...

    Was in Liberty Bicycles a few towns away on Friday for its Pre-Bike Show - Anti-Bike Show sale. Bought Specialized Mondo Pro tires.

    If something happens to my current job (1Km away and I get Fri, Sat, Sun off) I'll be applying to that bike shop (Specialized, Cannondale, Kona, and more). The 45Km each way commute will be a whole new adventure.
    Last edited by Wavy; 03-04-08 at 12:55 PM.
    “Next time you're in your car, at 80 Kilometers per hour, strip down to your underwear and jump out. That's what it's like to crash in a professional bike race.” - Jonathan Vaughters

  22. #22
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Trek 7300, Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    3,931
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOwned View Post
    i keep hearing this over and over...i'm gonna have to start looking for one. i think i am gonna need the taint cutout.
    The Avatar is great too.
    Brian | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp | 2003 Trek 7300
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  23. #23
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you there. I work at a Raleigh dealer/sporting goods store as the unoffical service manager. The best advice I can tell you is to not talk down to your customer. Most don't know anything technical about a bicycle.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  24. #24
    Senior Member fuish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Old one... don't recall at the moment :(
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
    I'm with you there. I work at a Raleigh dealer/sporting goods store as the unoffical service manager. The best advice I can tell you is to not talk down to your customer. Most don't know anything technical about a bicycle.
    I don't either, so how could I talk down
    -----------------------------------------------
    Big Beautiful Bicyclist - Athena til I'm not.
    ~My Art!~

  25. #25
    another cat...FAB! stevesurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    1st star to the right...
    My Bikes
    Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuish View Post
    I might even have my first customer! My friend that I met at weight watchers and were talking and I showed her Tom Stormcrowe's pictures and she got inspired, she said she was always too scared to get a bike cause she's big but I told her I'd ride with her, and I think she may come and get a bike from me. I might be getting a new biking buddy!
    And that's what it's all about! You are indeed lucky, as I was to get together with a couple of new BF cycling friends last year. We had some great rides and still do. You'll find out soon enough if she can keep motivated; don't take it personally if she decides to take a break from it - if I may make a suggestion: just try to encourage.

    I have another friend that I started riding with early last summer and found he wasn't as into it as I was. I started to ride with my brother-in-law in Tucson and found he could take it or leave it, but then again he's in amazing shape for 60.

    I was always wondering about the use of a trainer, hearing Vega talking about it over in Foo, so I finally hooked one up. I would definitely recommend using one - they let you get in more miles when you wouldn't be riding. Anyway, good luck again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •