Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    See that moutain over there... One of these days I'm gonna climb that moutain.

    Its the small goals that count so much in life. I finally made it to the top of Mt. Nebo. Its not a long ride or even that high but it is extremely steep. I tried last year and only made it part way. Today I made it to the top but took a lot of breaks. Hopefully by summers end I will be able to ride it non-stop. The last little straight stretch is 18% grade.

    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...ille/629858600
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  2. #2
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,159
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Congrats!

    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #3
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tom,

    I think I am going to start printing these off and posting them above the bikes in the garage. I'm sure my wife will love you for it.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  4. #4
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,712
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm....reminds me of my hike up Mt. Richtoven.
    First time- drive up there and find out the trailhead is still snowed in, can't even drive to trail head.
    Second time- hike up from the backside, run out of steam partway up and turn around
    Third time- hike up from front side, get to the narrow ridge and chicken out
    Fourth time- set around the house for a week thinking "It wasn't that narrow" and go back and make it to the top.
    So congratulations for hanging in there and accomplishing your goal.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  5. #5
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,159
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That's why I make them. Visible reminders of your progress

    Quote Originally Posted by b_young View Post
    Thanks Tom,

    I think I am going to start printing these off and posting them above the bikes in the garage. I'm sure my wife will love you for it.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  6. #6
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by b_young View Post
    Its the small goals that count so much in life. I finally made it to the top of Mt. Nebo. Its not a long ride or even that high but it is extremely steep. I tried last year and only made it part way. Today I made it to the top but took a lot of breaks. Hopefully by summers end I will be able to ride it non-stop. The last little straight stretch is 18% grade.

    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...ille/629858600
    His legs were a blur, his lungs were a gasping,
    His Shimano index shifters were rasping,
    As for the lowest gearing he was grasping,
    As he climbed that hill, did that Clyde.

    He huffed and he puffed and he rode that bike clear
    over the top of the hill, and folks far and near
    heard him shout, "I'm not even in my lowest gear!
    I climbed that hill like a Clyde!"

    Congratulations. Feels good, doesn't it?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Trucker_JDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats man!! Sounds like a climb I am wanting to do one day.

  8. #8
    Bikezilla Mazama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Flori-Duh
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Mazama
    Posts
    881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job! Personally, I never want to meet a mountain.
    14,000 miles and rolling...

  9. #9
    Senior Member tabnlu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Trek 700
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I bet I could throw a football over that mountain."- Uncle Rico
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazama View Post
    Nice job! Personally, I never want to meet a mountain.
    And living where you do, you seem safe from such an encounter.

  11. #11
    Keep on, keepin on B Piddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    La Crescent, MN
    My Bikes
    IRO Jamie Roy Custom build, Giant Sedona, '06 Trek Madone 5.2
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabnlu View Post
    "I bet I could throw a football over that mountain."- Uncle Rico
    hahaha...shut up Kip
    04 Giant Sedona
    07 IRO Jamie Roy
    06 Trek Madone 5.2

  12. #12
    Genetics have failed me Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Zorneding, Germany
    My Bikes
    Pedalforce CX1 & Trek Madone 5.9
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1300ft of elevation change during a 2 mile climb. Wowza. This looks like a great training hill!

    I'm jealous.
    Gelato aficionado.

  13. #13
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all.

    Its my dream to ride in the Tri Peaks challange next year for my 40th B-Day. But it looks more and more like it will remain a dream. Its about 400 miles in 4 days finishing on Nebo. I may still enter, they can always kick me out for being too slow.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  14. #14
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabnlu View Post
    "I bet I could throw a football over that mountain."- Uncle Rico
    "Tina, Ya big lard"
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  15. #15
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    His legs were a blur, his lungs were a gasping,
    His Shimano index shifters were rasping,
    As for the lowest gearing he was grasping,
    As he climbed that hill, did that Clyde.

    He huffed and he puffed and he rode that bike clear
    over the top of the hill, and folks far and near
    heard him shout, "I'm not even in my lowest gear!
    I climbed that hill like a Clyde!"

    Congratulations. Feels good, doesn't it?
    With the exception of the lowest gear part, I felt the same as the great Clyde mentioned above. But at the same time, on the decent, I was doing 43mph in 1st gear.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  16. #16
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,159
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's achievable, though.....always remember that. If you want it badly enough, you CAN do it.

    3 years ago, I was more or less in a wheelchair because of my weight and this Summer, I'm attempting a triple century in a day. If you really want to do it, I'll be pleased to help you plan a training program, and help you with benchmark goals. Let me know.....

    The only thing I can say is that even if you don't finish, it's better to try and know than it is to not try at all and always wonder if you "could'a been a contender"!

    Quote Originally Posted by b_young View Post
    Thanks all.

    Its my dream to ride in the Tri Peaks challange next year for my 40th B-Day. But it looks more and more like it will remain a dream. Its about 400 miles in 4 days finishing on Nebo. I may still enter, they can always kick me out for being too slow.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  17. #17
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b_young View Post
    Its the small goals that count so much in life. I finally made it to the top of Mt. Nebo. Its not a long ride or even that high but it is extremely steep. I tried last year and only made it part way. Today I made it to the top but took a lot of breaks. Hopefully by summers end I will be able to ride it non-stop. The last little straight stretch is 18% grade.

    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...ille/629858600
    Wow...that is quite a feat!!! The reason I say that, is because I rode up Mt. Nebo last August...on my motorcycle...and I have to say it had a fairly large "pucker" factor for me. I thought it was pretty darn challenging on my Harley...I can't even imagine how much more challenging it would have been on a pedal bike. Congrats to you! You certainly earned it.

    Linda

  18. #18
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Wow...that is quite a feat!!! The reason I say that, is because I rode up Mt. Nebo last August...on my motorcycle...and I have to say it had a fairly large "pucker" factor for me. I thought it was pretty darn challenging on my Harley...I can't even imagine how much more challenging it would have been on a pedal bike. Congrats to you! You certainly earned it.

    Linda
    Great view at the top isn't it. Did you ride Petit Jean as well? Do you come this way often? In the summer there are a ton of Harley Gangs through this area. It really is a nice drive for a bike on Hwy 7.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  19. #19
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    It's achievable, though.....always remember that. If you want it badly enough, you CAN do it.

    3 years ago, I was more or less in a wheelchair because of my weight and this Summer, I'm attempting a triple century in a day. If you really want to do it, I'll be pleased to help you plan a training program, and help you with benchmark goals. Let me know.....

    The only thing I can say is that even if you don't finish, it's better to try and know than it is to not try at all and always wonder if you "could'a been a contender"!

    Here is my problem and any advice or program will be welcomed. I work in the nuclear industry and we start an "Outage" in a week that last 5 weeks. Thats 6 nights 12 hrs shifts. I am in class for the rest of the summer. Class is brutal and I am usually studying every night. I try to get a 40 or better ride on the weekends. Most of my riding is commuting 21 rt. Next Sept. we have another "Outage" lasting ~60 days with 6/12hrs shifts. The Challange is in May and after Sept I will be done with class. So I could hit it hard then but it is hard to get a good routine in the winter, no trainer.

    Overall its just a bad year for it. But on the plus side I will be getting a new bike around Sept IF I finish this class. Put something together and PM me. I am willing to give it a go.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  20. #20
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,159
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    OK, I'd actually suggest short hard interval training for now. I'll get it together for you after vacation and we'll get something going. We'll train for for fast and hard and then transition to more of an endurance/maintenance routine.

    Quote Originally Posted by b_young View Post
    Here is my problem and any advice or program will be welcomed. I work in the nuclear industry and we start an "Outage" in a week that last 5 weeks. Thats 6 nights 12 hrs shifts. I am in class for the rest of the summer. Class is brutal and I am usually studying every night. I try to get a 40 or better ride on the weekends. Most of my riding is commuting 21 rt. Next Sept. we have another "Outage" lasting ~60 days with 6/12hrs shifts. The Challange is in May and after Sept I will be done with class. So I could hit it hard then but it is hard to get a good routine in the winter, no trainer.

    Overall its just a bad year for it. But on the plus side I will be getting a new bike around Sept IF I finish this class. Put something together and PM me. I am willing to give it a go.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  21. #21
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse , Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    4,029
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. Nothing wrong with breaks on a climb, says the guy who has no real hills except bridges and parking garages.
    Brian | 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  22. #22
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate stopping though. It reminds me of how out of shape I am. I tried to stop only long enough to get my heart rate down, mainly because it was cold. I need lower gears but don't want to spend money for them. It hurts to be tight.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  23. #23
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can do it, if you want! I remember too many riders telling me I was too big to climb. I started climbing then did a century with 10,000ft just to see if I could on my 40th birthday. I did it with a friend that said I couldn't. A year later, I bettered my time by one hour along with smoking him up the mountain!

    I did my best time that year. 100 with 10,000ft of climbing in 7:05, 7:38 total time including breaks. Out of the 400 registered riders, I placed at # 123. Not bad for a guy that outweighed most by 70 lbs.

    I knew others were faster climbers but figured endurance and strength would carry me through. I remember riders flying by me matching team kits flying by me in pacelines at the beginning of the ride. I continued to hold my pace while trying not to outdo myself. The ride climbs 62 miles to the highest point of 8,400 ft. I remember on the early climb thinking I sucked as others flew by. I wondered what the heck I was doing there.

    But later I realized I had a big engine so it was just taking a while to warm up. After 40 miles of climbing I was feeling great. This is what it's all about! I passed riders one by one. The same guys that flew by me on the early section of the mountain. Some on the side of the road with snot hanging from their thin faces. This was great! They were tiring as I was able to lift the pace at that point. I remember catching other riders with jerseys from other glorious rides. Most would try to outrun me almost as if it was an attempt to protect the honor of the jersey they wore.

    One guy hung with me on the way down, 40 miles with only one stop sign. He said," you climb real F'ing good for a Clyde". I hadn't noticed the guy throughout the ride but found out he had his sites on me through the entire ride. Of course I wore my signature Mr. Beanz jersey, the bright orange Performance cheapo. AND the bright orange socks with the smiley face!

    4 years and 20 lbs later I did this ride. Didn't set any speed records but finished well within the time limits. Lat May, 114 miles with 12,000 ft of climbing. All climbing rides were done with a standard double, 39/25 low gear combo!


    If there's a will, there's a way!

  24. #24
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b_young View Post
    Great view at the top isn't it. Did you ride Petit Jean as well? Do you come this way often? In the summer there are a ton of Harley Gangs through this area. It really is a nice drive for a bike on Hwy 7.
    It's an awesome view at the top. No, we didn't get to Petit Jean, but we did do all of 7 from Hot Springs all the way up to Harrison...gorgeous road! We spent an entire week riding all over that area...loved Hwy 123, 74, 374, 21, 16..ALL fantastic roads!! I'm from the Chicago area, and me and my riding group try to get in at least one nice, long road trip every summer...and since I was planning the trip, I chose the Ozarks last year. I would definitely come down that way again...in a heartbeat! You live in some beautiful country for sure. I wouldn't exactly consider myself or my riding group as a "Harley Gang", though...LOL We're a fairly normal, non-intimidating bunch, that just enjoy riding motorcycles. I'm just getting back into riding a bicycle this year...going to do my first triathlon in June. It will certainly be difficult dividing up my free time this summer, between riding my Harley and riding my new Trek 2100.


    Linda

  25. #25
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mr. Beanz I am gonna try it.

    nscrbug,
    I consider all bike groups of more than 3 a Harley Gang no matter what they ride. All I have encountered have been great people. I love watching their reaction as I give the 2 finger salute from my bicycle. You should see if you can rig up a bike rack on the back of your Hog and take a ride on your rides.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •