Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-08, 08:39 AM   #26
thaetviking
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Denver CO
Bikes: Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
A good multivitamin, preferably the adult dose of a childrens chewable, since it metabolized better, and Calcium Citrate, with Vitamin D. The B Complex (B1, B6, B12) will also help you with energy levels, as well as the hemocrit levels and they are water soluble, so any excess will pass thriough the kidneys assuming normal kidney function.
I forgot to ask you Tom about the B complex. Do you take a B supplement also or is it part of your multivitamin?

And for those wondering here is some good facts on fish oil: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/charles2.htm
thaetviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 08:46 AM   #27
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaetviking View Post

No I do not have poor reading comprehension. I have read Beowulf in Old English.
You read Beowulf in OE?!? I gave up attempting Chaucer in ME.

(bows)

I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 08:57 AM   #28
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am
 
BigUgly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central, PA via Philthadelphia
Bikes:
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post

You either have very poor reading comprehension or are blind. Thanks for reading all the posts before posting an smart@zz comment like you did! (removed)
Blind people can read web sites. There is technology that makes this possible. Sorry to hassle you about that but I am on a personal crusade to change the stereotypes the general public attach to blind people. I will most likely be the lead on a tandem for a blind cyclist one day in the future. Now that I got that out of the way. I will have to side with Beanz on this one. My mantra is HARDWORK = SUCCESS. I don't beleive in putting a lot of supplemental crap in my body. I have been relying on a proper diet when possible. The only thing I have tried when I first started cycling is a Natural Whey Protien shake prior to a work out or other physically challenging activity. I usually cycle or jog at lunch at work and when I would get back I would be falling a sleep at my desk, the shakes seem to give me a bit more energy to finish the day. The shake is only about 90 calories and serves as my lunch for the day which helps in the weight loss area as well.

HARDWORK = SUCCESS
Learn It, Love It, Live It!!!
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 08:59 AM   #29
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaetviking View Post
No I have read every post hear. You mention the other post after talking about inflamation in a different paragraph. Making it easy for someone to think you are talking about someone elses argument.

No I do not have poor reading comprehension. I have read Beowulf in Old English.

Is the my statement a cop out. Well I tell you what. When your attitude makes you as successful as this guy http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/charles.htm when it comes to training athletes then I will stop taking what he suggest and listen to you. Do you think he is week? How about the pro and elite amature athletes he has trained? He has his athletes take a number of supplements to help them achieve their goals. I am sure Lance took tons of supplements too.

If I take something that helps to get my body in better shape and does not harm it while doing so then do not worry about it. It sounds like you already have all the answers so there is no need for you to post here on this thread. You have lost your weight your way. Good for you. The same thing does not work for everyone.
Lance Armstrong was, and possibly is, on the board of directors of New Sun Nutrition,

"a developer and distributor of nutritional supplements, healthy snacks and beverages that is pioneering the development of flavonoid antioxidant health solutions to improve consumer health and wellness.

"The company’s product portfolio includes FRS® health drink, a scientifically formulated supplement designed to boost energy, enhance performance and neutralize free radicals before they can cause cellular damage. FRS, which stands for the scientific term Free Radical Scavenger, contains a patented combination of flavonoid antioxidants, essential vitamins and metabolic enhancers. The flavonoids are quercetin, an antioxidant typically found in the skins of apples, onions and red grapes, as well as catechins extracted from green tea."

This, of course, doesn't mean Mr. Armstrong used supplements during his racing career, but it implies he doesn't disapprove of them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:01 AM   #30
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Separately I take the MV in the AM and the B Complex with lunch to maximize uptake. The B12 specifically is a sublingual liquid (Under the tongue.). B1 and B6 are pills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaetviking View Post
I forgot to ask you Tom about the B complex. Do you take a B supplement also or is it part of your multivitamin?

And for those wondering here is some good facts on fish oil: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/charles2.htm
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:03 AM   #31
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
Blind people can read web sites. There is technology that makes this possible. Sorry to hassle you about that but I am on a personal crusade to change the stereotypes the general public attach to blind people. I will most likely be the lead on a tandem for a blind cyclist one day in the future. Now that I got that out of the way. I will have to side with Beanz on this one. My mantra is HARDWORK = SUCCESS. I don't beleive in putting a lot of supplemental crap in my body. I have been relying on a proper diet when possible. The only thing I have tried when I first started cycling is a Natural Whey Protien shake prior to a work out or other physically challenging activity. I usually cycle or jog at lunch at work and when I would get back I would be falling a sleep at my desk, the shakes seem to give me a bit more energy to finish the day. The shake is only about 90 calories and serves as my lunch for the day which helps in the weight loss area as well.

HARDWORK = SUCCESS
Learn It, Love It, Live It!!!
I'm all in favor of shattering stereotypes. Now if we can get rid of the stereotype that people who use supplements are trying to avoid hard work.

BTW, protein shakes count as a supplement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:08 AM   #32
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Separately I take the MV in the AM and the B Complex with lunch to maximize uptake. The B12 specifically is a sublingual liquid (Under the tongue.). B1 and B6 are pills.
Why the separate B vitamins, Tom? Why not an 'all-in-one' pill?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:11 AM   #33
thaetviking
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Denver CO
Bikes: Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
You read Beowulf in OE?!? I gave up attempting Chaucer in ME.

(bows)

I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY!
Thanks. Try Chaucer again. The Canterbury Tales rhyming does make ME a little easier. Sometimes I read aloud to myself to help with the rhyming and the flow.
thaetviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:12 AM   #34
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
I've seen serious diabetics (thin guy) do centuries. They didn't whine about it. They quit talking and did it!
Did they take insulin?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:16 AM   #35
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaetviking View Post
Thanks. Try Chaucer again. The Canterbury Tales rhyming does make ME a little easier. Sometimes I read aloud to myself to help with the rhyming and the flow.
I cheated and used a 'supplement' of a modern English translation. Obviously I didn't want to work hard instead of talking and whining.

Seriously, if I can get through the York mystery plays in original spelling, Chaucer shouldn't be that much of a stretch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:22 AM   #36
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am
 
BigUgly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central, PA via Philthadelphia
Bikes:
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I first started cycling I used the protien shake. I no longer use them because I got over that hump. I think my body couldn't handle(the cycling at lunch and loss of energy issue) it because of about 7-8 years of a non-active lifestyle and a lousy diet. I am eating better(cut out soda and fast food), down 25 pounds and I have more energy. It seemed to be all the processed crap I was eating. Added more fruits and veggies and drink a lot of water during the day to keep my system flushed. I still do eat the occassional sweet stuff but not like I used to. I mean I would down an entire box of Fruity Pebbles or bag of Chips Ahoy(milk and cookies where my downfall) in one sitting. I would like to live longer and see my kids, kids, kids, if that is even posssible and I have a fear that putting the supplemental stuff in my system will make things grow that shouldn't and put me in the ground prior to reaching my goal. How do your kidneys and liver process that foreign stuff? Were they really made to do that, what are the long term effects?

As I was typing the above a question came to mind.
If it is all natural is it still a supplement??
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:27 AM   #37
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
When I first started cycling I used the protien shake. I no longer use them because I got over that hump. I think my body couldn't handle(the cycling at lunch and loss of energy issue) it because of about 7-8 years of a non-active lifestyle and a lousy diet. I am eating better(cut out soda and fast food), down 25 pounds and I have more energy. It seemed to be all the processed crap I was eating. Added more fruits and veggies and drink a lot of water during the day to keep my system flushed. I still do eat the occassional sweet stuff but not like I used to. I mean I would down an entire box of Fruity Pebbles or bag of Chips Ahoy(milk and cookies where my downfall) in one sitting. I would like to live longer and see my kids, kids, kids, if that is even posssible and I have a fear that putting the supplemental stuff in my system will make things grow that shouldn't and put me in the ground prior to reaching my goal. How do your kidneys and liver process that foreign stuff? They were really made to do that, what are the long term effects?

As I was typing the above a question came to mind.
If it is all natural is it still a supplement??
Yes. You are 'supplementing' your diet with something you don't normally consume.

Incidentally, the items mentioned most often in this thread are vitamins and glucosamine, which is an amino sugar. Hardly the sort of things folks ought to get worked up about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:38 AM   #38
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am
 
BigUgly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central, PA via Philthadelphia
Bikes:
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not worked up about it. Just a personal philospy I guess. I am from the school of whatever floats your boat and felt Beanz was out on an island in this thread and was kind of thinking the way he was so I chimed in. The Glucosamine has peaked my interest however. I have heard about it but have not researched it. In my younger days I used to play Volleyball pretty regularly and my knees have taken a beating over the years which is another reason I have taken up cycling. The more I ride the better my knees feel. I have started playing volleyball again but usually have to stop because my knees start hurting(Patellar Tendonitus). Also, when walking down steps I can hear a crunchiness sound in my left knee. Would the Glucosamine cure the crunchiness I am hearing?

(Geez, I folded rather quickly, am I joining the Dark Side?)
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:41 AM   #39
Scummer
Genetics have failed me
 
Scummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zorneding, Germany
Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Trek Madone 5.9, Old MTB and lots of spare parts
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't take any supplements. I do drink a protein shake after a workout on the rollers, tho. And even then, I rather eat a banana with peanut butter or some nuts to get my protein in.

Other than that, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, very little meat during my normal meals. Lotsa carbs before a ride and I'm set. Everything organic if I can find it.

I treat synthetic products I ingest as toxins. Call me a nut, weirdo, crazy, tree hugger or hippie. I don't trust anything which hasn't been grown out in the sun even tho I do eat processed stuff sometimes.
I see humans as greedy *******s who don't give a **** about other peoples health as long as they can make a buck with marketing their synthetic stuff as the new health bringing wonder drug.

I do eat organic energy bars and even take an energy gel once in a while, as it's very convenient during a bike ride to carry around, but I cringe at the thought of what I'm digesting.

So it is still an ongoing battle for me to find the right way on how to completely cut the synthetic and processed stuff out of my life, but eventually I will get it done.

Yep, there you have it, I'm a pessimistic and non-trusting sum*****. But I like it that way.
__________________
Gelato aficionado.
Scummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 09:48 AM   #40
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
Not worked up about it. Just a personal philospy I guess. I am from the school of whatever floats your boat and felt Beanz was out on an island in this thread and was kind of thinking the way he was so I chimed in. The Glucosamine has peaked my interest however. I have heard about it but have not researched it. In my younger days I used to play Volleyball pretty regularly and my knees have taken a beating over the years which is another reason I have taken up cycling. The more I ride the better my knees feel. I have started playing volleyball again but usually have to stop because my knees start hurting(Patellar Tendonitus). Also, when walking down steps I can hear a crunchiness sound in my left knee. Would the Glucosamine cure the crunchiness I am hearing?

(Geez, I folded rather quickly, am I joining the Dark Side?)
Tom Stormcrowe is the expert, so I hope he'll give a better description. But my understanding is that glucosamine helps with cartilege loss in the joints. It won't give you back all you lost, but it helps. "People over 35 with knee issues should baste themselves in the stuff," according to Andy Pruitt of the Center for Sports Medicine in Boulder, Colorado.

I've been using it for about six months now, and my knees feel better than they have in years. But then again all I do is talk and whine anyway.

See a doctor about the 'crunching.' It sounds serious.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 10:02 AM   #41
piper_chuck
Senior Member
 
piper_chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
I treat synthetic products I ingest as toxins. Call me a nut, weirdo, crazy, tree hugger or hippie. I don't trust anything which hasn't been grown out in the sun...
Does this mean you don't eat mushrooms?
piper_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 10:05 AM   #42
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't really need to, Neil, you just gave a good description. The only thing you missed is that it also causes secretion of lubricant from the bone ends into the joint capsule, which helps prevent age related inflammation of the joint.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 10:09 AM   #43
Scummer
Genetics have failed me
 
Scummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zorneding, Germany
Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Trek Madone 5.9, Old MTB and lots of spare parts
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_chuck View Post
Does this mean you don't eat mushrooms?
Mmm.... shrooms... yumm yumm

Ok.. let me rephrase that, everything that grows on natural soil
__________________
Gelato aficionado.
Scummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 10:23 AM   #44
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, what Shrooms grow in isn't exactly soil.....

It is composted though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
Mmm.... shrooms... yumm yumm

Ok.. let me rephrase that, everything that grows on natural soil
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 10:25 AM   #45
TurboTurtle
NeoRetroGrouch
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaetviking View Post
No I have read every post hear. You mention the other post after talking about inflamation in a different paragraph. Making it easy for someone to think you are talking about someone elses argument.

No I do not have poor reading comprehension. I have read Beowulf in Old English.

Is the my statement a cop out. Well I tell you what. When your attitude makes you as successful as this guy http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/charles.htm when it comes to training athletes then I will stop taking what he suggest and listen to you. Do you think he is week? How about the pro and elite amature athletes he has trained? He has his athletes take a number of supplements to help them achieve their goals. I am sure Lance took tons of supplements too.

If I take something that helps to get my body in better shape and does not harm it while doing so then do not worry about it. It sounds like you already have all the answers so there is no need for you to post here on this thread. You have lost your weight your way. Good for you. The same thing does not work for everyone.

“…every post hear.” “…inflamation…” “…someone elses argument.” “Is the my statement…” “Well I tell you what.” “…taking what he suggest…” “Do you think he is week?” “…elite amature athletes…”

Old English? :-)

TF
TurboTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 10:29 AM   #46
thaetviking
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Denver CO
Bikes: Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
I don't take any supplements. I do drink a protein shake after a workout on the rollers, tho. And even then, I rather eat a banana with peanut butter or some nuts to get my protein in.

Other than that, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, very little meat during my normal meals. Lotsa carbs before a ride and I'm set. Everything organic if I can find it.

I treat synthetic products I ingest as toxins. Call me a nut, weirdo, crazy, tree hugger or hippie. I don't trust anything which hasn't been grown out in the sun even tho I do eat processed stuff sometimes.
I see humans as greedy *******s who don't give a **** about other peoples health as long as they can make a buck with marketing their synthetic stuff as the new health bringing wonder drug.

I do eat organic energy bars and even take an energy gel once in a while, as it's very convenient during a bike ride to carry around, but I cringe at the thought of what I'm digesting.

So it is still an ongoing battle for me to find the right way on how to completely cut the synthetic and processed stuff out of my life, but eventually I will get it done.

Yep, there you have it, I'm a pessimistic and non-trusting sum*****. But I like it that way.
The eat like a cave man theory. I am trying to work up to that level. For me ,carbs are the enemy, so I am trying to cut as many of them out of my diet as possible.
thaetviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 10:31 AM   #47
thaetviking
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Denver CO
Bikes: Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTurtle View Post
“…every post hear.” “…inflamation…” “…someone elses argument.” “Is the my statement…” “Well I tell you what.” “…taking what he suggest…” “Do you think he is week?” “…elite amature athletes…”

Old English? :-)

TF
Yeah my spelling is weigh off today. I do not know what is going on there.
thaetviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 12:31 PM   #48
nscrbug
Banned.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: IL
Bikes:
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow!!! Seems as though my "creaky knees" comment (yes, that was my post that Mr Beanz was referring to)has really set some folks off. I'm almost sorry that I posted it. Yes, I do have some joint inflammation from time to time...geez, doesn't everyone get a few aches and pains every now and then??? My creaky knee developed due to a fall during a 5k running race 15 years ago. I hit the pavement hard with my left knee and it hasn't been the same since. However, I haven't let it stop me from running, cycling, or any other activity. My back problem is a slipped vertebra that I've had since childhood...not much I can do about that, other than a fusion surgery which I absolutely refuse to put myself through since there is no guarantee that it will work. I see nothing wrong with taking joint supplements, if it enables me to get out there and particpate in activities that I enjoy doing so much. Why is that such a bad thing? Should I just stay home, sit on the couch and stuff my face because my knees are little creaky??? That's ludicrous to me. Sure...if my pain was to the point where I was unable to walk or had limited mobility...then, that's a different story. But seeing as though I'm training for my first triathlon this summer, I consider myself to be far from immobile. For what it's worth...I'm a 42-year old female that has been working out on a regular basis (read: daily) since I was 18....with weight fluctuations from 215 (my highest) to 146 (my lowest and current weight). Aside from my creaky knee and slipped vertebra, the only other health problem I have ever had (and still have) is asthma...which is completely under control thanks to preventive meds. So...I'll keep on taking my glucosamine supplements (and multivitamin and protein shakes) because I feel they are beneficial to me...and for those that think they don't do squat...oh well.
nscrbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 12:42 PM   #49
CKey_Cal
Banned
 
CKey_Cal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix - 2008, Trek 7600
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
+1 on the Glucosamine. I've noticed the biggest overall improvement since I started taking a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM combo supplement (I use the triple-strength Osteo-Biflex brand) over 3 years ago. My knees aren't as creaky and crunchy as they used to be. It takes a good while (for me it was 2-3 months) before you feel the effects of it, but for me it was well worth having the patience. I plan on adding some type of Omega-3 fish oil supplement eventually because I've read that it has good anti-inflammatory properties (I have lower back issues), but am having a difficult time on deciding which brand to go with. I've heard/read that some of the cheaper, lower-quality stuff can have toxic metals and such, and also a "fishy" taste...which I certainly do not want. Can anyone recommend a high-quality fish oil supplement?

Linda

I've read that refrigerating or freezing the supplements will remedy the fishy taste and "burpy" after effects. It seems to work.
CKey_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 01:01 PM   #50
piper_chuck
Senior Member
 
piper_chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Well, what Shrooms grow in isn't exactly soil.....

It is composted though
Seemed so happy thinking about shrooms that I didn't want to spoil the mood by mentioning it. I happened to watch a segment of "How it's made" last night that covered mushrooms.
piper_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 AM.