Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Narrowly avoided my first wreck....with a bike cop...

    I was doing my longest ride this year, 3 laps of White Rock lake 9 mile track (a popular bike loop in Dallas) and as I come around a corner about 20 mph and about to overtake this lady DPD bike officer she veers abruptly from the far right of the trail to the left to pull over a skinny little roadie (who obviously just finished up a ride with his helmet off probably cruising back to his car), stopping perpendicular to traffic to give him a no helmet ticket/warning and I probably dodge her by 1-2 feet on the right...

    Not sure what the verdict would've been had I T-boned her, but glad I missed...

  2. #2
    Senior Member Trucker_JDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess it would have some how been turned into your fault just because it was a cop.

    On a side note; Dallas/Texas has a mandatory helmet law.. ..interesting, didn't know that but I don't live anywhere near Texas.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, it is a Dallas City Ordinance, ALL AGES

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyFarnsworth View Post
    I was doing my longest ride this year, 3 laps of White Rock lake 9 mile track (a popular bike loop in Dallas) and as I come around a corner about 20 mph and about to overtake this lady DPD bike officer she veers abruptly from the far right of the trail to the left to pull over a skinny little roadie (who obviously just finished up a ride with his helmet off probably cruising back to his car), stopping perpendicular to traffic to give him a no helmet ticket/warning and I probably dodge her by 1-2 feet on the right...

    Not sure what the verdict would've been had I T-boned her, but glad I missed...
    You have to wear a helmet while riding in Dallas?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Trolley Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Trek 1000
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, a helmet is mandatory for all bicycle riders in Dallas, TX. On a motorcycle, you do not have to wear a helmet, go figure.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    You have to wear a helmet while riding in Dallas?
    yes, mandatory, all ages

  7. #7
    Senior Member Trucker_JDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering.. .when I was driving truck I always saw these stretched choppers cruising threw Texas with no helmets in your area; but they require a helmet for cyclists?. I would see a lot of nice bikes around exit 470 on I-20 near the Pilot truck stop when I would stay the night there. I liked Texas when I would drive threw it but now I see that logic is not one of there strong points (no offense against you personally). It seams odd that a motorcycle helmet optimal state would require them for cyclists. In CA helmets are required for under 18 years old or under; other then that do what you like.

    -sorry to have hijacked your thread and turned it into a helmet thread.-

  8. #8
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Texas also has a foot down law. You must put one foot down on the ground to stop at a stop sign or red light. Track standing isn't allowed. The Richardson PD informed stopped me for that last April, but the officer just wrote me a warning since I was from South Carolina and did make a complete stop for 4 seconds.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trucker_JDub View Post
    I was wondering.. .when I was driving truck I always saw these stretched choppers cruising threw Texas with no helmets in your area; but they require a helmet for cyclists?. I would see a lot of nice bikes around exit 470 on I-20 near the Pilot truck stop when I would stay the night there. I liked Texas when I would drive threw it but now I see that logic is not one of there strong points (no offense against you personally). It seams odd that a motorcycle helmet optimal state would require them for cyclists. In CA helmets are required for under 18 years old or under; other then that do what you like.

    -sorry to have hijacked your thread and turned it into a helmet thread.-

    The helmet law for cyclists was created and enforced by the City of Dallas...
    Motorcycle helmet law repeal was the result of a very organized and well funded grassroots campaign at the STATE level...
    The two different agencies is probably the biggest difference..

    Also, Dallas is the only ALL AGES law in Texas. Most everywhere else is Under 17/18.

  10. #10
    Genetics have failed me Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Zorneding, Germany
    My Bikes
    Pedalforce CX1 & Trek Madone 5.9
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.. must be the week of close passes.

    My wife on her way to work almost got clipped by a cop as well.
    Busy intersection, 4 way stop, my wife comes to a stop and proceeds across the intersection after she saw that it was clear and her time to move. All of a sudden cop car from the right comes flying, runs the stop sign and misses our brand new Prius by inches. No blue lights or anything of course.

    I just told my wife she was lucky she didn't get hit, it wouldn't have been the cops fault of course.
    The funny part is, my wife mentioned that the cops in the area of high prized condos and lake view apartments where she works during the day, are pretty much all very helpful and nice but the further south and cheaper the housing gets, the worse they become. It's almost like they are stationed and positioned depending on their attitude and how they uphold the law.
    Gelato aficionado.

  11. #11
    Senior Member rollerdavem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    My Bikes
    Got a pile of scrap, a specialized Rockhopper, a few BMX, a Fuji folder, and God knows what else 'cuz I can't remember.
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My momma always said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" so I will withhold my personal viewpoint on the police formed from many personal interactions through the years....

    I am awfully glad you managed to avoid collision and am glad I can CHOOSE to don a helmet instead of having a bunch of nanny-state know-nothings DICTATING it.

    Now to actually purchase one.....

    RD
    "It's NEVER too late to do the Right Thing. Oh, and while you're up I'll have a cup of coffee, thanks." -- Rollerdave

    My helmet policy

    2008 Lightfoot Roadrunner Magnum delta trike "Eagle"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •