Yesterday was my one year anniversary of riding a bike (excepting my childhood riding). I bought a cheap flat bar road bike (a mistake for me in retrospect) which is still my main bike. The bike is fine, I just wish I had drop bars now.... Saving up slowwwwwly for a new one. I originally bought the bike so I could go out and ride with my 8 year old daughter. I never imagined that I would enjoy it as much as I quickly came to.
So, for my first year on the bike I managed the following...
1320 - first 6 mo
1770 - last 6 mo
3090 - total
85:15 - first 6 mo
107:22 - last 6 mo
192:37 - total
47,855' - first 6 mo
72,375' - last 6 mo
120,230 - total
1. Lost about 40 pounds in that year and acheived Clye Emeritus status
2. Went from 38 pants to 34 pants and XL shirts to L shirts (with M possibly in site)
3. Resting HR dropped from about 60 to 48
4. Increase in avg power in last 6 mo on 10 mi TT from 161W to 205W (still pretty low )
5. A "long" ride used to be 15-20 miles. Now 35 - 40 is a "short" ride (unless I'm doing intervals )
6. Blood pressure dropped from the 130ish/90ish range to consistently in the 115ish/65ish range
7. I consistently feel a LOT better than I used to.
8. Oh yeah...I can see some ribs and six pack starting to poke through
I started all of this at 44. I really wish I had done this 10 years ago (or more). I wanted to share you with you guys & gals here because you have been a great inspiration for me as I started and continued this hobby. Thanks to you guys and gals for that inspiration and the inspiration that I continue to get from you!