Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Thread Killer evblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Marfan Syndrome-Clyde-DFW, TX
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What am I missing - gaining weight

    ipm brought up fitday and I looked and at the link he posted and it got me looking over my days over there. Perhaps I'm sleep eating or my water is tainted with calories Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

    The only excersise I'm allowed is riding and walking. No weights, swimming, rowing, etc.
    I usually commute by bicycle 42 miles round trip 3 times a week and recently I've been doing longer rides on weekends (75 miles two weeks ago, 200k or 127 miles this past weekend). For a while I was dropping weight but since the beginning of the year I've been steadily climbing back. I did change bikes but I'd hope going from a road bike to a recumbent wouldn't cancel out any benefits of riding.

    Here is a pretty standard day of intake. Not perfect but pretty good I thought.


    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by evblazer View Post
    ipm brought up fitday and I looked and at the link he posted and it got me looking over my days over there. Perhaps I'm sleep eating or my water is tainted with calories Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

    The only excersise I'm allowed is riding and walking. No weights, swimming, rowing, etc.
    I usually commute by bicycle 42 miles round trip 3 times a week and recently I've been doing longer rides on weekends (75 miles two weeks ago, 200k or 127 miles this past weekend). For a while I was dropping weight but since the beginning of the year I've been steadily climbing back. I did change bikes but I'd hope going from a road bike to a recumbent wouldn't cancel out any benefits of riding.

    Here is a pretty standard day of intake. Not perfect but pretty good I thought.


    Any ideas?
    Yes. How much to do you weigh? It could be you are at maintenance level, or simply stalled. Are you gaining pounds but losing inches? You could be adding muscle.

  3. #3
    Senior Member J.W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West..
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i dont really know what your current weight is but...i would say if you want to lose weight, keep the cals around 2000. Personally i have had a lot of success with low intensity cardio (eliptical) on an empty stomach in the morning. Doing 1 hour 3 times a week (with lifting in the afternoon) i am down to 204lbs, from 250lbs in february. I also kept my cals down, high protien, low carb intake. Do you have a goal weight or BF %?
    .

  4. #4
    Thread Killer evblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Marfan Syndrome-Clyde-DFW, TX
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Yes. How much to do you weigh? It could be you are at maintenance level, or simply stalled. Are you gaining pounds but losing inches? You could be adding muscle.
    Well yeah that would help oops. I weighed 272 most recently. Straight BMI puts me at 34.9 and I have a 48" waiste so I'm not losing inches there.

  5. #5
    Perma-n00b Askel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Da UP, eh.
    My Bikes
    Kona Hoss, Kona Jake, Trek 1500
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, you sure you're eating only 2Tbsp of peanut butter and a single serving of dressing?

    I need at least 4Tbsp and a 1/4cup respectively to do anything worthwhile.

    Might want to double check your measurements.

    We're missing a lot of info though. Your weight for one. And weight loss is not a single day thing. Or even a single week. It's calories in vs. calories out over a long period of time. Average calorie consumption over a month or so would tell us more.

    Also, if you did in fact commute 42 miles on that amount of food, you may be in some kind of starvation mode. I burn 5000+ calories on the days I do my 40+ mile commute. I eat about 4000 calories on those days.

    And I'm not sure if it has anything to do with weight loss, but ditch that crap sweetened ice tea. 100% empty calories.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Caincando1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dodge Center, MN
    My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.0
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that you're simply taking in to much. Almost 3000 calaries a day seems pretty high if you are wanting to lose weight. I'd start by shaving 500 off of there and see what happens.
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.0
    2005 Trek Navigator 300

  7. #7
    Senior Member deraltekluge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Posts
    1,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2884 is LOTS of calories. Way too much if you want to lose weight. Quit drinking the Odwalla (the chicken should provide enough protein...you don't need a supplement) and the Nestea. Neither one is doing you any good, and they add greatly to the calories.

  8. #8
    Perma-n00b Askel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Da UP, eh.
    My Bikes
    Kona Hoss, Kona Jake, Trek 1500
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deraltekluge View Post
    2884 is LOTS of calories. Way too much if you want to lose weight.

    Not if you're riding 42 miles that day.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Caincando1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dodge Center, MN
    My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.0
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Askel View Post
    Not if you're riding 42 miles that day.
    It's way to much on off days, period. Every person will need a different amount of calories on workout days. I've riden on far fewer calories than that and I'm still here to write about it. I think people tend to get scared of how many (or lack there of) calories they really need to take in. Remember there are plenty of calories that are currently being stored that need to be burned also. Eat enough to start the fire and repair tissure then let the fire burn the excess stored calories.
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.0
    2005 Trek Navigator 300

  10. #10
    Thread Killer evblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Marfan Syndrome-Clyde-DFW, TX
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I really do need to drop the nestea.
    I only drink it about once a week only on days I ride. My average calories per a day is 2500 this year and I'm sure I'm underestimating some pieces but I'd think cycling and around the house activities would cancel that out but maybe i'm hoping too much.

  11. #11
    Lanterne Rouge
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Beacon, NY
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur
    Posts
    1,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two ways to make the goal workable... either cut back on the food, or add in on the exercise.

    I also think that the Odwalla and the Nestea may be unnecessary, and sugared iced-tea is definitely a killer in terms of empty calories.

    Also, I don't know how the chicken is getting prepared in this context, but a single Tbsp. of Olive Oil can have a hundred calories plus...

    So it's that, and the difference between a tablespoon of PB, and a heaping tablespoon can be a pile of caloric value...
    "Having modest aspirations RULES." --patentcad
    "You know who I feel bad for? Arab-Americans with a real, genuine interest in cropdusting." -- Brian Regan
    blogging about nothing, when the mood strikes

  12. #12
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by evblazer View Post
    Well yeah that would help oops. I weighed 272 most recently. Straight BMI puts me at 34.9 and I have a 48" waiste so I'm not losing inches there.
    Maintenance. The old rule of thumb, if I have it correct, is ten calories per pound to maintain. Start trimming calories and you should start trimming again.

  13. #13
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Caincando1 View Post
    It seems to me that you're simply taking in to much. Almost 3000 calaries a day seems pretty high if you are wanting to lose weight. I'd start by shaving 500 off of there and see what happens.
    Switching to water or unsweetened tea and ditching the protein drink gets him there and more.

  14. #14
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by evblazer View Post
    Yeah I really do need to drop the nestea.
    I only drink it about once a week only on days I ride. My average calories per a day is 2500 this year and I'm sure I'm underestimating some pieces but I'd think cycling and around the house activities would cancel that out but maybe i'm hoping too much.
    Switch to water with some lemon in it on riding days.

    I think you are in maintenance mode. Cut 500 calories a day from your diet and watch what happens. Remember the first big loss you had when you started dieting? That can happen again.

  15. #15
    Perma-n00b Askel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Da UP, eh.
    My Bikes
    Kona Hoss, Kona Jake, Trek 1500
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evblazer View Post
    Yeah I really do need to drop the nestea.
    I only drink it about once a week only on days I ride. My average calories per a day is 2500 this year and I'm sure I'm underestimating some pieces but I'd think cycling and around the house activities would cancel that out but maybe i'm hoping too much.
    2500 calories a day while conservatively averaging 120 miles a week on the bike just doesn't seem to add up.

    If you are entering everything, every day, as accurately as possible it would seem you just have a really weird metabolism and fitday may not be the proper tool.

    Even given some pretty wide variation in my diet and exercise, the rule of 3500 extra calories burned = 1lb of fat burned has always held true for me.

  16. #16
    Senior Member J.W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West..
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caincando1 View Post
    It's way to much on off days, period. Every person will need a different amount of calories on workout days. I've riden on far fewer calories than that and I'm still here to write about it. I think people tend to get scared of how many (or lack there of) calories they really need to take in. Remember there are plenty of calories that are currently being stored that need to be burned also. Eat enough to start the fire and repair tissure then let the fire burn the excess stored calories.
    BINGO!! You have a lot of glycogen stored, and by limiting the caloric intake, you will begin to tap into those stores and burn them.
    .

  17. #17
    Perma-n00b Askel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Da UP, eh.
    My Bikes
    Kona Hoss, Kona Jake, Trek 1500
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.W. View Post
    BINGO!! You have a lot of glycogen stored, and by limiting the caloric intake, you will begin to tap into those stores and burn them.
    Even the most highly trained athletes can only store 2500 calories or so of glycogen at any given time.

    Assuming an average day of 2500 calories eaten, a 272 pound rider riding 42 miles should burn way more than 5000 calories even if he does almost nothing else.

    Break even? I guess I can buy that.

    Gain? Nope. The numbers don't make sense unless you have a godlike capacity for stored glycogen.

    And lets not forget, the calories in that glycogen had to come from *somwhere*. They didn't magically appear out of nowhere. As I said before. It's not day to day or even week to week. It's the average over a long, long period of time.

  18. #18
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Askel View Post
    Even the most highly trained athletes can only store 2500 calories or so of glycogen at any given time.

    Assuming an average day of 2500 calories eaten, a 272 pound rider riding 42 miles should burn way more than 5000 calories even if he does almost nothing else.

    Break even? I guess I can buy that.

    Gain? Nope. The numbers don't make sense unless you have a godlike capacity for stored glycogen.

    And lets not forget, the calories in that glycogen had to come from *somwhere*. They didn't magically appear out of nowhere. As I said before. It's not day to day or even week to week. It's the average over a long, long period of time.
    There's always the chance he's underestimating calories taken in.

  19. #19
    Senior Member deraltekluge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Posts
    1,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It varies with the individual, and the individual's weight, but very roughly, you'll burn perhaps 100 calories a mile walking and about a third that cycling. Your body is pretty efficient, and on a bike VERY efficient, at moving itself. Unless you're pushing yourself to the edge of exhaustion, think averages, not day-by-day. You don't have to eat more on days you exercise more. You have reserves (body fat), and what you're trying to do is tap into those reserves and use them up.

  20. #20
    Downtown Spanky Brown bautieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pennsyltucky
    My Bikes
    07 Raliegh Grand Sport 98ish Mongoose Manuever
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to find another protein drink, try a whey based one that mixes with water. Other than that if you can sub the nestea with water you can easily save 500 calories a day.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Caincando1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dodge Center, MN
    My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.0
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What intesity are these rides? I think we need to get an idea of how many calories are actually being burned on these rides.
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.0
    2005 Trek Navigator 300

  22. #22
    Senior Member deraltekluge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Posts
    1,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bautieri View Post
    I think you need to find another protein drink, try a whey based one that mixes with water. Other than that if you can sub the nestea with water you can easily save 500 calories a day.
    But if he's eating what he says, he's almost certainly getting enough protein without a supplementary protein drink...so why drink one at all?

  23. #23
    Downtown Spanky Brown bautieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pennsyltucky
    My Bikes
    07 Raliegh Grand Sport 98ish Mongoose Manuever
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deraltekluge View Post
    But if he's eating what he says, he's almost certainly getting enough protein without a supplementary protein drink...so why drink one at all?
    Protein drinks are good for dulling hunger aches, but you are right. There really is no need for the extra protein, nix the shake and the nestea for a savings of 732 cals.

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    My Bikes
    1996 Specialized Ground Control
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why can't you do any weight training?

    Jim

  25. #25
    Thread Killer evblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Marfan Syndrome-Clyde-DFW, TX
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caincando1 View Post
    What intesity are these rides? I think we need to get an idea of how many calories are actually being burned on these rides.
    This mornings ride commute in.
    1 hour 43 minutes
    Averages Heart Rate 113
    1707 calories per my HR monitor. I know is it crap but perhaps useful to compare rides.
    This morning I did take it pretty easy because I didn't want to fight with the wind.
    I am usually riding at a pace I can't talk at but with marfans well maybe that is lower then most.
    Here is info on my 75 mile and 200k for comparison
    200k
    9 hours 34 minutes
    Average Heart Rate 136
    1369 calories?? (I'm hoping it rolled the odometer or something)
    75 mile
    5 hours
    Average Heart Rate 149
    6677 calories per my HR monitor

    I gotta bring jugs of water in to work on my driving days so I can avoid ice tea. The water/ice I do drink but it does bad things to my system.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbobborg View Post
    Why can't you do any weight training?
    Jim
    A bad case of Marfan Syndrome. Yeah me
    Last edited by evblazer; 04-16-08 at 10:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •