Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-08, 07:05 AM   #1
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Neils On Wheels Ride the GAP - tour schedule

Since I've been asked what our tour schedule is, I thought I'd post it for comment, and so any BF members who wanted to ride with us could see where we were. From McKeesport PA to Washington, DC, most of the riding will be on the GAP trail and the C & O Canal towpath.

May 31 - A couple of BF members are riding with us from a suburb of Pittsburgh into the city, then from the city to Boston, PA, where Neil and I are spending the night in a B + B.
June 1 - Boston to Connellsville - 39 miles. Camping near town.
June 2 - Ride to Ohioplye, visit to Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, ride to Confluence - 28 miles (we are getting driven to the FLW homes I've mentioned by a BF poster from the touring forum.) Camping near the lake in Confluence.
June 3 - Confluence to Frostburg, MD, 47 miles. Staying at Frostburg University, in the dorm.
June 4 - Frostburg to Paw-Paw, WV, 28 miles. Stopping for lunch in Cumberland, MD, where we hope to meet a BF poster. Camping at one of the hiker/biker spots on the towpath.
June 5 - 57 miles to Williamsport, MD, riding with a BF poster who is hosting us. Some of this will be on the paved WMRT instead of the dirt towpath.
June 6 - Williamsport to Harper's Ferry, WV, 39 miles. Staying at the hostel, or camping. Part of the ride will be through the Antietam battlefield instead of the towpath.
June 7 - Harper's Ferry to DC, 60 miles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 07:12 AM   #2
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown
 
bautieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Camp Hill, Pennsyltucky
Bikes: 14 Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro 2000 Kona Lana'I
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You had better have one heck of a ride report complete with many, many pictures.
bautieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 07:13 AM   #3
neilfein
Senior Member
 
neilfein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Highland Park, NJ, USA
Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.
Posts: 3,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hey, we should ride to the Capitol. It only adds 3 miles to the last day, and it makes the last day a metric century. (If we're tired, we can do it as a recovery ride on Sunday.)
__________________
Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

My bands:
Uke On! - ukulele duo - Youtube channel

Ukulele Abyss - ukulele cover videos - Youtube channel

My celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry's full-length studio album "Mended", available for download.

Artistic Differences - 8-track EP "Dreams of Bile and Blood" now available for download.
neilfein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 07:14 AM   #4
neilfein
Senior Member
 
neilfein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Highland Park, NJ, USA
Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.
Posts: 3,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bautieri View Post
You had better have one heck of a ride report complete with many, many pictures.
Threat received.
__________________
Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

My bands:
Uke On! - ukulele duo - Youtube channel

Ukulele Abyss - ukulele cover videos - Youtube channel

My celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry's full-length studio album "Mended", available for download.

Artistic Differences - 8-track EP "Dreams of Bile and Blood" now available for download.
neilfein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 07:18 AM   #5
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilfein View Post
Hey, we should ride to the Capitol. It only adds 3 miles to the last day, and it makes the last day a metric century. (If we're tired, we can do it as a recovery ride on Sunday.)
I'd expected we would. Or at least that you'd suggest it. I'll bring cable locks so you can chain yourself to the White House fence.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 07:20 AM   #6
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown
 
bautieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Camp Hill, Pennsyltucky
Bikes: 14 Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro 2000 Kona Lana'I
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilfein View Post
Threat received.
Haha
bautieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 07:46 AM   #7
natbla
Senior Member
 
natbla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=The Historian;6644521]

June 3 - Confluence to Frostburg, MD, 47 miles. Staying at Frostburg University, in the dorm.
June 4 - Frostburg to Paw-Paw, WV, 28 miles. Stopping for lunch in Cumberland, MD, where we hope to meet a BF poster. Camping at one of the hiker/biker spots on the towpath. [QUOTE]

I put that lunch on my calender for the 4th. hit me with an IM and we'll work out the details.

Nathan
natbla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 08:10 AM   #8
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
Since I've been asked what our tour schedule is, I thought I'd post it for comment, and so any BF members who wanted to ride with us could see where we were. From McKeesport PA to Washington, DC, most of the riding will be on the GAP trail and the C & O Canal towpath.

May 31 - A couple of BF members are riding with us from a suburb of Pittsburgh into the city, then from the city to Boston, PA, where Neil and I are spending the night in a B + B.
June 1 - Boston to Connellsville - 39 miles. Camping near town.
June 2 - Ride to Ohioplye, visit to Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, ride to Confluence - 28 miles (we are getting driven to the FLW homes I've mentioned by a BF poster from the touring forum.) Camping near the lake in Confluence.
June 3 - Confluence to Frostburg, MD, 47 miles. Staying at Frostburg University, in the dorm.
June 4 - Frostburg to Paw-Paw, WV, 28 miles. Stopping for lunch in Cumberland, MD, where we hope to meet a BF poster. Camping at one of the hiker/biker spots on the towpath.
June 5 - 57 miles to Williamsport, MD, riding with a BF poster who is hosting us. Some of this will be on the paved WMRT instead of the dirt towpath.
June 6 - Williamsport to Harper's Ferry, WV, 39 miles. Staying at the hostel, or camping. Part of the ride will be through the Antietam battlefield instead of the towpath.
June 7 - Harper's Ferry to DC, 60 miles.
Once correction - Frostburg to Paw Paw is 44 miles, not 28.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 09:17 AM   #9
-holiday76
No one cares
 
-holiday76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yardley, Pa
Bikes:
Posts: 5,749
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I think I mentioned this before, but I'm on a tour from May 24th-June 6th. Our paths MAY cross something during that first week of June. We'll have to exchange info to see if it will and we might be able to have lunch or a ride together at some point.
By that time the Neils might be ready to kill each other and I might be ready to kill my dad, so maybe the change in social scenery will be beneficial
-holiday76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 09:29 AM   #10
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -holiday76 View Post
I think I mentioned this before, but I'm on a tour from May 24th-June 6th. Our paths MAY cross something during that first week of June. We'll have to exchange info to see if it will and we might be able to have lunch or a ride together at some point.
By that time the Neils might be ready to kill each other and I might be ready to kill my dad, so maybe the change in social scenery will be beneficial
If you are riding back to P'ville, I don't see it happening. We'll still be in PA by the time you ride the towpath.

As for killing each other, we'll probably be too tired to do that. That's for the ride home. It's never a good time when we are in a car together....

(Neil F. starts coughing in the back seat)

Neil's wife (driving): Are you OK?

Neil F: Yes, I'm fine.

Neil 's wife: Good. If you're talking, your breathing.

Neil B. : If he's breathing, he's talking. OUCH! Why did you hit me?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 09:35 AM   #11
-holiday76
No one cares
 
-holiday76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yardley, Pa
Bikes:
Posts: 5,749
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
If you are riding back to P'ville, I don't see it happening. We'll still be in PA by the time you ride the towpath.

As for killing each other, we'll probably be too tired to do that. That's for the ride home. It's never a good time when we are in a car together....

(Neil F. starts coughing in the back seat)

Neil's wife (driving): Are you OK?

Neil F: Yes, I'm fine.

Neil 's wife: Good. If you're talking, your breathing.

Neil B. : If he's breathing, he's talking. OUCH! Why did you hit me?
it's still possible. Our route is nowhere near planned out and wont be until we're on the road. We may not be able to meet up, but I just thought I'd throw it out there since we'll be on the road at the same time.
-holiday76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 10:04 AM   #12
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -holiday76 View Post
it's still possible. Our route is nowhere near planned out and wont be until we're on the road. We may not be able to meet up, but I just thought I'd throw it out there since we'll be on the road at the same time.
Sure, if it happens, it'll be a lot of fun. You riding bent on this tour?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 06:50 PM   #13
natebrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saraland, al
Bikes: 08' Specialized Allez
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like a good time. I will be looking forward to the report.

Nate
natebrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 AM.