Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-08, 09:52 PM   #1
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com
Thread Starter
 
douchebagonwhlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Western Slope, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here's a rant

and this is its place too.
The road bike forum seems to have many threads that basically say "you are a ******bag because you ride with a triple crankset, I am a beast because I ride with a double"
If I had stopped growing in the 6th grade and weighed 150lbs like them I might be OK with a double, but I can't charge the steep hills of florida like them with their lightweight compact crankset with its 48-34, 12-28 gearing.
whiz on it! I'm glad I go in phases that keep me off of this forum for months at a time unless I have a technical question.
douchebagonwhlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 09:59 PM   #2
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I don't know but all the 10,000 -12,000 ft centuries I've done have been on a standard double 39/25!

I don't think it matters though! I've had my *** kicked by guys on triples. I chuckle everytime this subject comes up. I once rode with a guy that bought a multimillion dollar fancy litewieght bike. We rode up thru a canyon and I waited at the top for him for quite sometime. He was so shocked that I was on a triple! I usually use my double for climing rides though only cause it's a Cannondale ans superstiff on the climbs!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 10:01 PM   #3
Jtgyk
Senior Member
 
Jtgyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richardson TX
Bikes:
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******bagonwhlz View Post
and this is its place too.
The road bike forum seems to have many threads that basically say "you are a ******bag because you ride with a triple crankset, I am a beast because I ride with a double"
If I had stopped growing in the 6th grade and weighed 150lbs like them I might be OK with a double, but I can't charge the steep hills of florida like them with their lightweight compact crankset with its 48-34, 12-28 gearing.
whiz on it! I'm glad I go in phases that keep me off of this forum for months at a time unless I have a technical question.
Well...I guess I'm a ******bag too!
Me like the granny ring. I've only had to use it twice...but it REALLY came in handy!
3 is...of course...a Prime number.
Holy Trinity of Cranking!
Third Ring is Charm.
Three rings to make a Circus.
**** 'em if they cant take a joke!...........(3 times of course!)
__________________
Hey, I'm just this GUY...you know?
>>>Team Critical Mess<<< (You mean it's not SUPPOSE to hurt?)

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Jtgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 10:03 PM   #4
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where on Earth do you get the idea we hate triples here in Clyde's? I ride bikes with triples by choice, for the lain reason I like having tractor gears for climbing. I'm not a Sports Car, I'm a truck!

We actually recommend triples here.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 10:35 PM   #5
zirger726
commuter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Bikes: Trek 520, Giant Iguana
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I learned on my first tour not to make fun of any one else gear because if you do they will probably kick your butt on the road. My rule of thumb now is if its safe and isn't going to break down on you and you like to ride it it's a great bike. I ride a heavy trek 520 with a triple.
zirger726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 11:13 PM   #6
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride a compact, but I am 2 ft above sea level and my 53/34 is all I need to handle the leg killing 110 ft bridge I ride. . Now if I was riding anywhere else, it would have been a triple.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 11:30 PM   #7
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?
 
DTSCDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 214 Represent!
Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******bagonwhlz View Post
and this is its place too.
The road bike forum seems to have many threads that basically say "you are a ******bag because you ride with a triple crankset <<SNIP>>
I don't know why we seem to forget those insightful words of wisdom we all learned in grade-school: "It takes one to know one."

I agree with everyone else--if it rolls, gets you moving and you enjoy riding it then it's a great bike.
DTSCDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 11:54 PM   #8
b_young
Support JDRF
 
b_young's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I definitely like the triples, so I'm with ya there.

But, did you just say steep hills and Florida in the same sentence?
b_young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 01:12 AM   #9
Mazama
Bikezilla
 
Mazama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flori-Duh
Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only use 2 gears.
Mazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 05:16 AM   #10
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_young View Post
I definitely like the triples, so I'm with ya there.

But, did you just say steep hills and Florida in the same sentence?
That's called sarcasm.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 05:22 AM   #11
ShadowGray
I like my car
 
ShadowGray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wait... why is a triple crankset considered bad?
ShadowGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 05:26 AM   #12
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGray View Post
Wait... why is a triple crankset considered bad?
The same reason riding with mountain bike shoes on a road bike is considered bad, and riding with a visor on your helmet is considered bad. Roadies, AKA 'real cyclists', don't use them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 06:56 AM   #13
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown
 
bautieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Camp Hill, Pennsyltucky
Bikes: 14 Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro 2000 Kona Lana'I
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******bagonwhlz View Post
and this is its place too.
The road bike forum seems to have many threads that basically say "you are a ******bag because you ride with a triple crankset, I am a beast because I ride with a double"
I think it's because they are hungry. People with that mind set would do well with a sandwich and a kick in the lycra. Like mama always said, "if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your damn mouth shut".

So if you don't mind me asking, why is the clyde section the place for your rant? Nobody likes to made fun of but if someone on the internet of all places gets to you maybe you aught to grow some thicker skin.
bautieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 06:57 AM   #14
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown
 
bautieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Camp Hill, Pennsyltucky
Bikes: 14 Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro 2000 Kona Lana'I
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
Roadies, AKA 'real cyclists', don't use them.
Good thing I'm content with being a fake cyclist .
bautieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 07:01 AM   #15
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bautieri View Post
Good thing I'm content with being a fake cyclist .
Me too!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 07:47 AM   #16
jens5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Durham,NC.
Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_young View Post
I definitely like the triples, so I'm with ya there.

But, did you just say steep hills and Florida in the same sentence?
Try Mt. Dora in central Florida!
jens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 10:28 AM   #17
Pinyon
Senior Member
 
Pinyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well...I hate to admit it, but I just don't like triples. Not because I'm one of those elite roadie types, but because I chew up chains and have to dink around with the derailures too often with a triple. Hell, I barely use the smaller ring on my 52/42 vintage road bike, except for on hills over 8% grade. But that is not because I go fast, either. I just have my technique down so that I pedal below 60 rpm's with no problem (move a lot - sit, stand, forward, back, etc.).

My commuter has a triple, it is also a vintage mountain bike (1994 Cannondale M300). It is fine for commuting, but the gears drive me nuts whenever take it out on longer rides. No matter how much I adjust them, there is rubbing and grinding when the chain gets on one extreme end of the rear cassette.

It is not that I don't like the easy gears on a triple, though. The bike that I have on lay-away has a compact double, with gearing that is very comparable with most triple-cranks. But the gears are easier to adjust, work faster and cleaner, etc. That said...I almost got a triple, but got a good deal on the compact. It could have gone either way.

Pinyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 12:00 PM   #18
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic
 
zpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: 2008 Salsa Casseroll, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so who's the biggest d-bag?

I ride with a triple, mountain SPDs, polypro running shirt, an eyeglass mirror, and a CamelBak. Who can top that?
zpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 01:58 PM   #19
shog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Bikes: Jamis XLT 3.0, Trek 1500, Gary Fisher X-Caliber
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just smile - look them up and down and drop them . Seriously worry less ride more. If I worried what other people thought about me I probably wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Shog
shog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 02:37 PM   #20
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpl View Post
Okay, so who's the biggest d-bag?

I ride with a triple, mountain SPDs, polypro running shirt, an eyeglass mirror, and a CamelBak. Who can top that?
Compact double(34/48) to a mountain (11-32) cassette, mountain SPD shoes, helmet with a visor AND a mirror on it, and a rack mounted handlebar bag.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 02:40 PM   #21
lil brown bat
Senior Member
 
lil brown bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston (sort of)
Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
Posts: 3,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Threads dissing other forums are verging on crap-agitating, if you ask me. Every forum anywhere on the world wide web, this one included, has its in group and its out group, its prevailing customs and ways of getting along, so, y'know...look in the mirror, this forum isn't perfect either. People gravitate to this or that forum because of their interests and because they want to hang with like-minded people. Don't get your gel-padded bike shorts in a bunch because people on some other forum don't have minds like yours.
lil brown bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 02:53 PM   #22
Zin
On your what?!?
 
Zin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lakewood, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 2,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride a compact double here in Colorado. 50/34x12/27. Nothing wrong with triples at all! In fact, many many times I wish I had one! But the cost of changing over to a triple prohibits is. Much less buying a new bike...

When riding with my girlfriend, she is always telling me I need to spin instead of mash. I tell her that if I had a triple, like hers, I would! I run out of gears way to fast...LOL
__________________
---
Former 340# Type 2 Diabetic.
My web site.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 04:22 PM   #23
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
The same reason riding with mountain bike shoes on a road bike is considered bad, and riding with a visor on your helmet is considered bad. Roadies, AKA 'real cyclists', don't use them.
That's not true! I did a ride with a group of guys, one was RAELLY fast. He climbed the 4,000 ft climb like a goat. When I got to the top, he complimented my ride (I was in shape back then). I said I did ok for a rec rider knowing he was a top notch racer. I pointed out that I rode in mtb shoes, that's how serious I wasn't!

He pointed down and sure enough, he was wearing MTB shoes too!...AND I gaurantee this guy would rip a new none on 99.9% of the riders in the Road forum!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 05:23 PM   #24
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bautieri View Post
Good thing I'm content with being a fake cyclist .
A group of 76 clydes (almost all of us with triples) did manage to ride on average over 1319 miles last year for a total of 100288.2 miles (from spinner Saturday) under all kinds of conditions, with an average weight of over 200lbs, on bikes ranging from 35 year old heavy steel road bikes to heavy aluminum MTB's.

So I want to ask the guys who ride their plastic wonder bikes 20 miles a year after driving them around on back of the SUV, just who is the "real" cyclist again?
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 05:59 PM   #25
Erik B
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Bikes:
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just gotta say I think some of you take things spouted on the Algore tubez a little to seriously.

Just ride your bike, if you need or want a triple use it. If not that's fine as well. We'll all get where we are going in the end so at least have some fun doing it.
Erik B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:36 AM.