Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    fishologist cohophysh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to use stevia, it has a bit of a bitter taste if you use to much
    We cannot solve problems with the same level of consciousness that created them. A.E.

    1990 Diamond Back MTB
    2007 Leader 736R
    www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
    http://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx



  2. #27
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Some more than others. Saccharine is the worst for that. Too much Sodium.

    Equal breaks down into Formaldehyde and phenylalanine, amongst others.

    Splenda contains Chlorine in substitution for some of the Carbon Atoms in the polymer chain that comprises Sucralose vs Sucrose.
    Mmmmm.... Polychlorinated galactopyranosides... *drool*

  3. #28
    Senior Member deraltekluge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Posts
    1,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan112 View Post
    None. I've never buttered my toast, bagels, muffins...always thought they tasted fine on their own. And considering the amount of coffee/diet coke I drink the sugar savings is significant.
    Well, the diet soda is significant...saves 150 calories per 12 ounces. The coffee with one teaspoonful of sugar is 15 calories per cup. That's a pretty big difference.
    Last edited by deraltekluge; 05-28-08 at 07:02 PM.

  4. #29
    One Tough Cookie. Black Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West Hartford, CT
    My Bikes
    Too many and not ENOUGH!
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The studies cited were all conducted in rats or using rat tissues. Rats are cute (at least to some people)...but they are NOT humans. Therefore, all that can be taken from any of the cited studies is that the question needs more study and should not be used by humans as a reason to support the "why" behind their food choices.

    A better reason for NOT using artificial sweeteners (if one is not actually allergic to them) is best summed up as "Why bother?" They do nothing to aid in weight loss (what other changes in habits were made if someone claims that this change helped them lose weight, for instance) and are not even all that useful for diabetics (using artificial sweeteners really does little or nothing to help control blood glucose levels in the absence of very low carbohydrate intake).

    These concoctions also are expensive and taste lousy to boot.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day at work!!

    My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"

  5. #30
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bud View Post
    The studies cited were all conducted in rats or using rat tissues.
    No they weren't.

  6. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woostah, MA
    My Bikes
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deraltekluge View Post
    Well, the diet soda is significant...saves 150 calories per 12 ounces. The coffee with one teaspoonful of sugar is 15 calories per cup. That's a pretty big difference.
    Yup, but I use 2 teaspoons (big ones) and drink 6+ cups of coffee a day, multiply it out and you get close to 200 calories or 10% of my suggested daily intake of calories. I say that's significant. 200 times 7 days is 1400 or somewhere around a 1/3 of a pound.
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    2008 CAAD 9

  7. #32
    One Tough Cookie. Black Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West Hartford, CT
    My Bikes
    Too many and not ENOUGH!
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To those who question my last post? Go ahead and read the study extracts put up by Tom Stormcrowe again. Both rat studies.

    As for the human studies? Are any of you sure they are not all--if they even exist--"data dredges"? If there are any that are not and have been published, I am sure you can come up with a few cites.

    Not that it will support any argument you might have: Epidemiological studies consisting of a bunch of studies that have nothing to do with each other and may not have even tested for the data in question are worse than useless in theory or in application. All too often the "don't do this" or "do this instead" advice being handed out by even the medical establishment is nothing more than some computer model's GIGO that happens to "fit" someone's desired results and is then propagated by other equally lazy researchers. Or the "cr*p" is "pushed" like a "pram" in a medical journal because it fits the current memes and those defective "conclusions" are therefore adopted as "gospel" by most people,--including clinicians in practice--because THEY are too lazy to question what they are told.

    Is the job to "Question Authority" important, even when it comes to whether to eat fake "sugar" or the real stuff? Yes: Questioning the data and/or its source is important when deciding what one should do--or eat--or shouldn't. The REAL conclusions--if any--that can be drawn from any data as actually garnered any such studies may say something some people don't want you to know because it will not help THEM make the all important $$$, which is really all that seems to matter these days.
    Last edited by Black Bud; 05-28-08 at 07:36 PM.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day at work!!

    My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"

  8. #33
    One Tough Cookie. Black Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West Hartford, CT
    My Bikes
    Too many and not ENOUGH!
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan112 View Post
    ...I use 2 teaspoons (big ones) and drink 6+ cups of coffee a day, multiply it out and you get close to 200 calories or 10% of my suggested daily intake of calories. I say that's significant. 200 times 7 days is 1400 or somewhere around a 1/3 of a pound.
    Uh, no...

    Using the "default" values which would work in a linear system in a system that is not linear (and which is far from fully understood)--such as human energy usage--is making an assumption that should not be used in deciding how much one wants to starve themselves (and that's what a weight-loss plan of any kind is: planned starvation). The suggestions for calorie intake per day are only very rough figures based on the simplistic "calories in, calories out" model that would be more useful in--with a change in name of the variable--determining gas mileage in one's SUV than the energy requirements of the human body. Conforming to the "default" value (3,500 kCal/lb) for determining how much one needs to eat (or not) to gain/lose one pound is a virtually useless exercise in determining what one should eat, especially if one's natural metabolism is low to begin with and/or one has dieted oneself into perpetual famine mode (and therefore one has reset oneself into a lower-energy-burning mode).

    In other words, eating "fake" sugar to try to control weight is more of an exercise in self-deception to justify one's self-denial (plays to one's ego only) than of any real benefit to health.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day at work!!

    My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"

  9. #34
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,160
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Personally, I use a risk assessment, based off of the studies, and figure better safe that sorry I know full well that there are physiological differences between rats and humans, but there are also sufficient physiological similarities that the results have sufficient merit for me to say no, I'm not going to put that in my body. I can assure you it's not a position based on a meme, since I've studied Physiology. I also know, whether it be a placebo or actual physiological effect, that I feel better since I quit using the artificial sweeteners. Observed results are what count with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bud View Post
    To those who question my last post? Go ahead and read the study extracts put up by Tom Stormcrowe again. Both rat studies.

    As for the human studies? Are any of you sure they are not all--if they even exist--"data dredges"? If there are any that are not and have been published, I am sure you can come up with a few cites.

    Not that it will support any argument you might have: Epidemiological studies consisting of a bunch of studies that have nothing to do with each other and may not have even tested for the data in question are worse than useless in theory or in application. All too often the "don't do this" or "do this instead" advice being handed out by even the medical establishment is nothing more than some computer model's GIGO that happens to "fit" someone's desired results and is then propagated by other equally lazy researchers. Or the "cr*p" is "pushed" like a "pram" in a medical journal because it fits the current memes and those defective "conclusions" are therefore adopted as "gospel" by most people,--including clinicians in practice--because THEY are too lazy to question what they are told.

    Is the job to "Question Authority" important, even when it comes to whether to eat fake "sugar" or the real stuff? Yes: Questioning the data and/or its source is important when deciding what one should do--or eat--or shouldn't. The REAL conclusions--if any--that can be drawn from any data as actually garnered any such studies may say something some people don't want you to know because it will not help THEM make the all important $$$, which is really all that seems to matter these days.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woostah, MA
    My Bikes
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bud View Post
    Uh, no...

    Using the "default" values which would work in a linear system in a system that is not linear (and which is far from fully understood)--such as human energy usage--is making an assumption that should not be used in deciding how much one wants to starve themselves (and that's what a weight-loss plan of any kind is: planned starvation). The suggestions for calorie intake per day are only very rough figures based on the simplistic "calories in, calories out" model that would be more useful in--with a change in name of the variable--determining gas mileage in one's SUV than the energy requirements of the human body. Conforming to the "default" value (3,500 kCal/lb) for determining how much one needs to eat (or not) to gain/lose one pound is a virtually useless exercise in determining what one should eat, especially if one's natural metabolism is low to begin with and/or one has dieted oneself into perpetual famine mode (and therefore one has reset oneself into a lower-energy-burning mode).

    In other words, eating "fake" sugar to try to control weight is more of an exercise in self-deception to justify one's self-denial (plays to one's ego only) than of any real benefit to health.
    As stated earlier in the thread I have changed my diet drastically in the last year, part of that change has included switching to foods that have sugar substitutes. I do this to help with my daily calorie count. As a result of my efforts I have lost 95# in the last year. The model is real for me. YMMV.
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    2008 CAAD 9

  11. #36
    Senior Member deraltekluge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Posts
    1,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan112 View Post
    Yup, but I use 2 teaspoons (big ones) and drink 6+ cups of coffee a day...
    Don't do that!

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woostah, MA
    My Bikes
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deraltekluge View Post
    Don't do that!
    Too late, already had the first 2....this motor runs on caffeine.
    1982 Peugeot PH10
    2008 CAAD 9

  13. #38
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bud View Post
    To those who question my last post? Go ahead and read the study extracts put up by Tom Stormcrowe again. Both rat studies.
    You said "the studies cited" without a quote or reference to what studies you were talking about. The studies referenced by the post that started this thread were not both rat studies. Remove chip from shoulder, please.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •