Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Study: artificial sweeteners may increase weight gain (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/423146-study-artificial-sweeteners-may-increase-weight-gain.html)

lil brown bat 05-28-08 06:08 AM

Study: artificial sweeteners may increase weight gain
 
A couple of studies collect data that suggests that use of artificial sweeteners can increase the chance for weight gain. From the article:

""The taste buds taste sweet, but there's no calorie load that comes with it. There's a mismatch here. It seems it changes your brain chemistry in some way...Anything you put in your mouth, your body has a strong reaction to it. It's much more than counting calories. It seems normally with sweet foods that we rev up our metabolism."

Interesting...

Neil_B 05-28-08 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil brown bat (Post 6772707)
A couple of studies collect data that suggests that use of artificial sweeteners can increase the chance for weight gain. From the article:

""The taste buds taste sweet, but there's no calorie load that comes with it. There's a mismatch here. It seems it changes your brain chemistry in some way...Anything you put in your mouth, your body has a strong reaction to it. It's much more than counting calories. It seems normally with sweet foods that we rev up our metabolism."

Interesting...

Last year, while undergoing physical therapy for my back, the therapist advised me to cut out AS because they allegedly promote water and fluid retention.

Tom Stormcrowe 05-28-08 06:30 AM

Some more than others. Saccharine is the worst for that. Too much Sodium.

Equal breaks down into Formaldehyde and phenylalanine, amongst others.

Splenda contains Chlorine in substitution for some of the Carbon Atoms in the polymer chain that comprises Sucralose vs Sucrose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Historian (Post 6772742)
Last year, while undergoing physical therapy for my back, the therapist advised me to cut out AS because they allegedly promote water and fluid retention.


bautieri 05-28-08 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 6772761)
Some more than others. Saccharine is the worst for that. Too much Sodium.

Equal breaks down into Formaldehyde and phenylalanine, amongst others.

Splenda contains Chlorine in substitution for some of the Carbon Atoms in the polymer chain that comprises Sucralose vs Sucrose.

Wow...makes me wonder who thought this was a good idea.

Spartan112 05-28-08 06:45 AM

I need something in my coffee...you know what's bad for your health? Reading medical reports.

bautieri 05-28-08 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan112 (Post 6772817)
I need something in my coffee...you know what's bad for your health? Reading medical reports.


You don't need anything in your coffee! All coffee needs is a cup.

Spartan112 05-28-08 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bautieri (Post 6772850)
You don't need anything in your coffee! All coffee needs is a cup.

Incorrect...All YOUR coffee needs s a cup...mine needs Splenda and non-dairy creamer.

lil brown bat 05-28-08 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan112 (Post 6772817)
I need something in my coffee...you know what's bad for your health? Reading medical reports.

Not really. Not if you read them and draw your conclusions with intelligence. Personally, I find the whole, "Oh, a study said this and last week another study said that, it all contradicts itself, studies are worthless" reaction to be like sticking your head in the sand. The two studies seem to indicate that non-caloric sweeteners may not be the metabolic free ride that many of their users assume. I think that's good information. What you choose to do with it is up to you.

Neil_B 05-28-08 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan112 (Post 6772817)
I need something in my coffee...you know what's bad for your health? Reading medical reports.

I know a woman who uses six Splenda packets in her tea.

dipy911 05-28-08 07:37 AM

Quote:

In the Purdue study, the rats whose diets contained artificial sweeteners appeared to experience a physiological connection between sweet tastes and calories, which drove them to overeat.
I believe this is the more appropriate quote. They were overeating. Imaging this, people on diet soda overeating? Amazing!!!! Self-control seems to be lacking in some people.

Tom Stormcrowe 05-28-08 07:42 AM

Ironically, honey in your coffee isn't too bad. It metabolizes mostly through the liver, but can raise the blood fat levels. It has more calories than Sucrose, but is sweeter, so you use less.
1 tsp sucrose=50 calories/13 grams carbohydrates
1 tsp honey = 64 calories/17 grams carbohydrates


Honey also contains trace minerals sucrose doesn't.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN00425

bdinger 05-28-08 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipy911 (Post 6773018)
I believe this is the more appropriate quote. They were overeating. Imaging this, people on diet soda overeating? Amazing!!!! Self-control seems to be lacking in some people.

Diet soda seems to be abused more, as well. I know I used to drink probably 6 diet sodas, or more, a day. My wife could put down that, or more. Heck, I know people that put down twelve packs, or more, of diet soda a day. I'm down to maybe one or two a day, and I feel much better for it.

Also, ever notice that those who drink "regular" soda seem to drink much less? Like, maybe one or two a day, whereas others really go nuts?

Regardless, I'm trying to stick to water and coffee with just milk in it. Fun times! :)

back2biking 05-28-08 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 6773042)
Ironically, honey in your coffee isn't too bad. It metabolizes mostly through the liver, but can raise the blood fat levels. It has more calories than Sucrose, but is sweeter, so you use less.
1 tsp sucrose=50 calories/13 grams carbohydrates
1 tsp honey = 64 calories/17 grams carbohydrates


Honey also contains trace minerals sucrose doesn't.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN00425

I've been using honey in my coffee for over ten years now instead of sugar, and I've never been a fan of artificial sweeteners. I don't like the taste, or as evidence suggests, the potential "side effects". I just try to limit the sugars I eat to "natural" sugars like honey, fruit, etc. I do this for my daughter as much as possible to. I can't believe all the juices for kids that have stuff in it that is completely unneccesary like high fructose corn syrup, dyes, and one neighbor of mine even gives his daughter one that has a lipid (yes fat) based substance in it. Needless to say she does not have juice boxes at the neighbors house.

Tamara

TurboTurtle 05-28-08 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 6772761)
Some more than others. Saccharine is the worst for that. Too much Sodium.

Equal breaks down into Formaldehyde and phenylalanine, amongst others.

Splenda contains Chlorine in substitution for some of the Carbon Atoms in the polymer chain that comprises Sucralose vs Sucrose.

"Equal breaks down into Formaldehyde and phenylalanine..." Formaldehyde??? Need a source on that one. It is made up of two amino acids - aspartic acid and phenylalanine. - TF

Tom Stormcrowe 05-28-08 08:23 AM

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/your...opinionid=7263

This is an op ed though, I'll have to go to subscription database. I'll post the results shortly.

Neil_B 05-28-08 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdinger (Post 6773077)
Diet soda seems to be abused more, as well. I know I used to drink probably 6 diet sodas, or more, a day. My wife could put down that, or more. Heck, I know people that put down twelve packs, or more, of diet soda a day. I'm down to maybe one or two a day, and I feel much better for it.

Also, ever notice that those who drink "regular" soda seem to drink much less? Like, maybe one or two a day, whereas others really go nuts?

Regardless, I'm trying to stick to water and coffee with just milk in it. Fun times! :)

I drank diet soda for years. I convinced myself I was "eating light" while in actuality stuffing myself up to 385 pounds, and probably beyond. Drinking diet beverages is a great way to fool yourself.

Tom Stormcrowe 05-28-08 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEDLINE DATABASE EXTRACTS
*

Citation

Title:
Cytotoxic effects of methanol, formaldehyde, and formate on dissociated rat thymocytes: a possibility of aspartame toxicity.Find More Like This
Author(s):
Oyama Y; Sakai H; Arata T; Okano Y; Akaike N; Sakai K; Noda K
Author's Address:
Laboratory of Cellular Signaling, Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokushima, Japan. oyama@ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp
Source:
Cell Biology And Toxicology [Cell Biol Toxicol] 2002; Vol. 18 (1), pp. 43-50.
Publication Type:
Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
Language:
English
Journal Information:
Country of Publication: Netherlands NLM ID: 8506639 Publication Model: Print Cited Medium: Print ISSN: 0742-2091 (Print) NLM ISO Abbreviation: Cell Biol. Toxicol. Subsets: MEDLINE
MeSH Terms:
Formaldehyde/*toxicity
Formic Acids/*toxicity
Methanol/*toxicity
T-Lymphocytes/*drug effects
T-Lymphocytes/*metabolism
Animals; Aspartame/metabolism; Aspartame/toxicity; Calcium/analysis; Cell Survival/drug effects; Cells, Cultured; Dose-Response Relationship, Drug; Flow Cytometry; Glutathione/metabolism; Rats; Rats, Wistar; T-Lymphocytes/pathology
Abstract:
Aspartame is a widely used artificial sweetener added to many soft beverages and its usage is increasing in health-conscious societies. Upon ingestion, this artificial sweetener produces methanol as a metabolite. In order to examine the possibility of aspartame toxicity, the effects of methanol and its metabolites (formaldehyde and formate) on dissociated rat thymocytes were studied by flow cytometry. While methanol and formate did not affect cell viability in the physiological pH range, formaldehyde at 1-3 mmol/L started to induce cell death. Further increase in formaldehyde concentration produced a dose-dependent decrease in cell viability. Formaldehyde at 1 mmol/L or more greatly reduced cellular content of glutathione, possibly increasing cell vulnerability to oxidative stress. Furthermore, formaldehyde at 3 mmol/L or more significantly increased intracellular concentration of Ca2+ ([Ca2+]i) in a dose-dependent manner. Threshold concentrations of formaldehyde, a metabolite of methanol, that affected the [Ca2+]i and cellular glutathione content were slightly higher than the blood concentrations of methanol previously reported in subjects administered abuse doses of aspartame. It is suggested that aspartame at abuse doses is harmless to humans.
CAS Registry Number:
0 (Formic Acids)
22839-47-0 (Aspartame)
50-00-0 (Formaldehyde)
64-18-6 (formic acid)
67-56-1 (Methanol)
70-18-8 (Glutathione)
7440-70-2 (Calcium)
Entry Date(s):
Date Created: 20020506 Date Completed: 20021030 Latest Revision: 20061115
Update Code:
20071207
PMID:
11991085
Persistent link to this record:
http://lafayette.libproxy.ivytech.ed...ive&scope=site
Database:
MEDLINE
View Links:
Check ArticleLinker to see if other resources contain this item.
Notes:
This title is not held locally

and

Title:
Formaldehyde derived from dietary aspartame binds to tissue components in vivo.Find More Like This
Author(s):
Trocho C; Pardo R; Rafecas I; Virgili J; Remesar X; Fernández-López JA; Alemany M
Author's Address:
Departament de Bioquímica i Biologia Molecular, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain.
Source:
Life Sciences [Life Sci] 1998; Vol. 63 (5), pp. 337-49.
Publication Type:
Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
Language:
English
Journal Information:
Country of Publication: ENGLAND NLM ID: 0375521 Publication Model: Print Cited Medium: Print ISSN: 0024-3205 (Print) NLM ISO Abbreviation: Life Sci. Subsets: MEDLINE
MeSH Terms:
Aspartame/*metabolism
Formaldehyde/*metabolism
Kidney/*metabolism
Liver/*metabolism
Administration, Oral; Animals; Aspartame/toxicity; Carbon Radioisotopes/diagnostic use; Chromatography, Thin Layer; DNA Adducts/metabolism; Formaldehyde/chemistry; Liver Cirrhosis, Experimental/metabolism; Male; Methanol/metabolism; Protein Binding; Rats; Rats, Wistar
Abstract:
Adult male rats were given an oral dose of 10 mg/kg aspartame 14C-labelled in the methanol carbon. At timed intervals of up to 6 hours, the radioactivity in plasma and several organs was investigated. Most of the radioactivity found (>98% in plasma, >75% in liver) was bound to protein. Label present in liver, plasma and kidney was in the range of 1-2% of total radioactivity administered per g or mL, changing little with time. Other organs (brown and white adipose tissues, muscle, brain, cornea and retina) contained levels of label in the range of 1/12 to 1/10th of that of liver. In all, the rat retained, 6 hours after administration about 5% of the label, half of it in the liver. The specific radioactivity of tissue protein, RNA and DNA was quite uniform. The protein label was concentrated in amino acids, different from methionine, and largely coincident with the result of protein exposure to labelled formaldehyde. DNA radioactivity was essentially in a single different adduct base, different from the normal bases present in DNA. The nature of the tissue label accumulated was, thus, a direct consequence of formaldehyde binding to tissue structures. The administration of labelled aspartame to a group of cirrhotic rats resulted in comparable label retention by tissue components, which suggests that liver function (or its defect) has little effect on formaldehyde formation from aspartame and binding to biological components. The chronic treatment of a series of rats with 200 mg/kg of non-labelled aspartame during 10 days resulted in the accumulation of even more label when given the radioactive bolus, suggesting that the amount of formaldehyde adducts coming from aspartame in tissue proteins and nucleic acids may be cumulative. It is concluded that aspartame consumption may constitute a hazard because of its contribution to the formation of formaldehyde adducts.
CAS Registry Number:
0 (Carbon Radioisotopes)
0 (DNA Adducts)
22839-47-0 (Aspartame)
50-00-0 (Formaldehyde)
67-56-1 (Methanol)
Entry Date(s):
Date Created: 19980903 Date Completed: 19980903 Latest Revision: 20061115
Update Code:
20071207
PMID:
9714421
Persistent link to this record:
http://lafayette.libproxy.ivytech.ed...ive&scope=site
Database:
MEDLINE

These are abstracts from print journal articles, and there's enough info here for you to get them and draw your own conclusions. :D

Air 05-28-08 08:53 AM

Instead of the sweeteners you could also try agave nectar - it's awesome.

I agree that if you take a step back and look at the overeating aspect it makes a lot of sense.

bautieri 05-28-08 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan112 (Post 6772959)
Incorrect...All YOUR coffee needs s a cup...mine needs Splenda and non-dairy creamer.


Haha, maybe so. I was making a stab at an old Dennis Leary (I think) joke. Whatever you need is fine with me :). I used to drink my coffee with sugar and cream until I decided to drink it black for a week. After that I can't stand cream or sugar in it but to each his own.

Spartan112 05-28-08 09:13 AM

As part of my change in diet (which includes an increase in whole grains/fruits/vegetables) I have replaced sugar in my coffee with Splenda and regular coke with diet. In the process I have lost 95# in the last year. YMMV.

deraltekluge 05-28-08 09:19 AM

Sugar contains only 15 calories per level teaspoonful. You don't gain/lose much in the switch between sugar and artificial sweeteners in your coffee. How much butter do you put on your toast? One pat of butter is about 36 calories.

TurboTurtle 05-28-08 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 6773251)
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/your...opinionid=7263

This is an op ed though, I'll have to go to subscription database. I'll post the results shortly.

OK, from the methanol (a result of breaking the bond between the two amino acids) at the levels in a glass of orange juice which the body easily takes care of. Proclaiming that, "Equal breaks down into Formaldehyde..." with no other information, is more than a bit excessive. - TF

Missbumble 05-28-08 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan112 (Post 6772817)
I need something in my coffee...you know what's bad for your health? Reading medical reports.

I hear you ...and am here to the rescue... I may not have a bike just yet (Soon)... but I have an answer for you, my friend.

Here's an article about a sweetener I use....
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/whol...ts/stevia.html

Just a few drops of the liquid stevia works well. I mix water with Cranberry concenterate or pure cranberry juice and stevia and it helps me drink a ton of water. I also use it in my coffee... (I have given up Diet Coke and it is a very hard transition and Stevia Helps)

You can buy the liquid Stevia in nutrition stores or at Whole Foods..just ask the Customer Service where to find it as it is tricky to find...

No calories... and it's good for you....

Tom Stormcrowe 05-28-08 11:08 AM

There are strong indications of a cumulative buildup in the tissues though. I suspect some people are better than others at elimination of the waste from it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboTurtle (Post 6774060)
OK, from the methanol (a result of breaking the bond between the two amino acids) at the levels in a glass of orange juice which the body easily takes care of. Proclaiming that, "Equal breaks down into Formaldehyde..." with no other information, is more than a bit excessive. - TF


Spartan112 05-28-08 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deraltekluge (Post 6773563)
Sugar contains only 15 calories per level teaspoonful. You don't gain/lose much in the switch between sugar and artificial sweeteners in your coffee. How much butter do you put on your toast? One pat of butter is about 36 calories.


None. I've never buttered my toast, bagels, muffins...always thought they tasted fine on their own. And considering the amount of coffee/diet coke I drink the sugar savings is significant.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 AM.