Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    'roid monkey wannabe AnnaMossity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    My Bikes
    I have a custom 2006 Zinn magnesium frame road bike set up for triathlon and a big semi-custom touring bike, the frame of which is a 1983 Apollo Prestige XL.
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any tall folks (6'7"+) have a Surly Long Haul Trucker?

    I was upset that I couldn't buy the venerated LHT frameset for myself because I am too tall...or so I thought. Then, just yesterday, I met a guy who is 6'7" and has a LHT! He had the 62cm sized frame of course and what looked like an aftermarket fork with about 4" or more of steer tube sticking up above the top tube (with spacers around it bien sur). The guy said he had about 5'000 kms on it with that setup and no problems yet but I was a little skeptical about the safety of such a long section of steer tube above the head tube. Has anyone here seen a similar setup that worked well and had more miles on it?

    Also, does anyone here know of a LHT owner with crank arms longer than 175mm? I prefer longer cranks and want to know if it's possible to put longer ones on without affecting the clearance in turns too much.

    Thanks in advance for the info

  2. #2
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that it's a spot on comparison, but I'm 6'6" and I ride a 62cm Cross Check. I put a slightly shorter, taller rise stem on it to keep from going with the "5 inches of spacers" solution; but you do what you gotta do sometimes...

    The LHT already has a pretty low bottom bracket, so I don't think I'd go with anything over a 175mm crank. I've got 175's on my X-Check and twice I've had some pedal strike issues when I'm not paying attention.

  3. #3
    atop a blazing saddle idig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only 6'2", but my 58cm LHT fits me well. A 62cm frame might be fine for a 6'7" person, but there's only one way to find out. All complete LHTs come with extra length on the steerer tube. This is to allow the rider to have it cut to fit. If you don't need any cut, don't cut it.

  4. #4
    'roid monkey wannabe AnnaMossity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    My Bikes
    I have a custom 2006 Zinn magnesium frame road bike set up for triathlon and a big semi-custom touring bike, the frame of which is a 1983 Apollo Prestige XL.
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, okay well thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I'd better stick with a custom bike then because 175mm cranks just won't do. Nor do I want to drop mad cheddar on some hokey looking bike.

    Oh and trust me, 6'2" is so much different from 6'8". If you can buy slothes off the shelf, I don't expect you to understand.

  5. #5
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMossity View Post
    Hmm, okay well thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I'd better stick with a custom bike then because 175mm cranks just won't do. Nor do I want to drop mad cheddar on some hokey looking bike.

    Oh and trust me, 6'2" is so much different from 6'8". If you can buy slothes off the shelf, I don't expect you to understand.
    Since you're just up the I-5 in Vancouver, you might consider heading down here (Seattle) to check out R & E Cycles or Davidson for a full custom job. A little further south, and you've got Co-Motion down in Eugene, Oregon. If you've got half a decade to spare, and $750 you don't mind parting with up front, there's Vanilla Bicycles in Portland.

    6'6" isn't too much different from 6'8" except for a bike fit, in that I can usually squeak by with the largest off-the-shelf items. Maybe ask Mazama about the custom fit process for his bikes. I think he's over 7' tall, and would have a better knowledge of the process.

  6. #6
    Year-round cyclist
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Posts
    3,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 8.5 inches shorter than you, but regarding the fit, a lot depends whether you have long legs or not. Their top tubes are long compared to, say, the Cannondale or Trek touring bikes, so if your legs are long, you might very well find it OK once you get a long seatpost and stem. On the other hand, if your trunk is really long, then you'll run out of top tube.

    As for bottom bracket height vs 180 mm cranks vs clearance in curves, I have a Trek 520 which has similar BB height. In a nutshell, you will be OK unless you like to turn aggressively at high speed and/or ride with feet pointing down.
    Michel Gagnon
    Montréal (Québec, Canada)

  7. #7
    Member asabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque,N.M.
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've tried many different frames, and to get what i wanted, i had to get a custom, i use 185 cranks, and got tired of hitting toe ground, etc. Being 6'8" has it's problems, and trying to "get by" just makes it worse. Good luck!

  8. #8
    'roid monkey wannabe AnnaMossity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    My Bikes
    I have a custom 2006 Zinn magnesium frame road bike set up for triathlon and a big semi-custom touring bike, the frame of which is a 1983 Apollo Prestige XL.
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Gagnon View Post
    I am 8.5 inches shorter than you, but regarding the fit, a lot depends whether you have long legs or not. Their top tubes are long compared to, say, the Cannondale or Trek touring bikes, so if your legs are long, you might very well find it OK once you get a long seatpost and stem. On the other hand, if your trunk is really long, then you'll run out of top tube.

    As for bottom bracket height vs 180 mm cranks vs clearance in curves, I have a Trek 520 which has similar BB height. In a nutshell, you will be OK unless you like to turn aggressively at high speed and/or ride with feet pointing down.
    Hey, what kind of tires do you use for winter riding? I tride riding on ice and snow years ago and had a hell of a time!

  9. #9
    'roid monkey wannabe AnnaMossity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    My Bikes
    I have a custom 2006 Zinn magnesium frame road bike set up for triathlon and a big semi-custom touring bike, the frame of which is a 1983 Apollo Prestige XL.
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asabike View Post
    i've tried many different frames, and to get what i wanted, i had to get a custom, i use 185 cranks, and got tired of hitting toe ground, etc. Being 6'8" has it's problems, and trying to "get by" just makes it worse. Good luck!
    Yeah Amen! I think I'll just get a Naked frame and forget all the nonsense. Besides, the LHT only comes with 700c wheels in the larger frame sizes and those are too hard to find out in the boonies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •