Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member scrapmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Quartered safe out here
    My Bikes
    197x?? Raleigh rescued from scrap metal; Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cadence meter, the slave driver:)

    Finally put computer on my new bike - CatEye V2C. I wanted it for wireless and cadence, but the cadence is like a whip cracking over my shoulders

    First I realized, I am too slow, than started to try and pedal faster. On the end of the one hour long trip I felt like I was getting better, but I still have a long way to go.

    Anybody else experienced similar cadence shock?
    Po všetkém hovno, enem po včelách med.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Trek 7300, Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    3,929
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, been there.
    Brian | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp | 2003 Trek 7300
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  3. #3
    Senior Member natbla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That cadence number is a constant reminder to maintain a good rhythm and spin. I can tell how my legs are doing based on how hard it is to maintain an 85-95 rpm spin. It also helps teach good shifting techniques. Of course there comes a point where the climbs are too steep for the leg strength and than its just there to torment you. I'm now at a place fitness wise that I can use it to help me get in that zone climbing where its just me and the 10 feet of road right around me. All I see is the #%$# cadence saying 79 and my inner voice going "kick, scrape, kick, scrape ..." ITs a new zone of pain that that blasted number helps me get too.

    I do love/hate that thing!

  4. #4
    Senior Member st0ut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    new england
    My Bikes
    Wife Trek 7100, GT lola, specialzed Hotrock, Trek Grommet, dead Trek 5200(KIA rear derailer failed and brok frame), and Trek 720 (Died of neglect when the 5200 became a stable mate)
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no cmputer just a stopwatch, known distance and a some math.

    In his case i think ignorance is bliss
    Cars make you weak.

  5. #5
    Red light runner Gonzlobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque
    My Bikes
    Seven Sola
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh, bike computers take all the fun out of my 11.223 mile commute.



  6. #6
    Senior Member scrapmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Quartered safe out here
    My Bikes
    197x?? Raleigh rescued from scrap metal; Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by natbla View Post
    That cadence number is a constant reminder to maintain a good rhythm and spin. I can tell how my legs are doing based on how hard it is to maintain an 85-95 rpm spin. It also helps teach good shifting techniques. Of course there comes a point where the climbs are too steep for the leg strength and than its just there to torment you. I'm now at a place fitness wise that I can use it to help me get in that zone climbing where its just me and the 10 feet of road right around me. All I see is the #%$# cadence saying 79 and my inner voice going "kick, scrape, kick, scrape ..." ITs a new zone of pain that that blasted number helps me get too.

    I do love/hate that thing!
    Excellent summary!! From my limited experience I can tell you are right about the shifting, rhythm and speed - even the love/hate relationship
    Po všetkém hovno, enem po včelách med.

  7. #7
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I spin at about 90. I had a cadence function on my computer but once I realized I'm a spinner, I have no need for it. What do I care whether I spin at 95, 90, or 87? As long as I don't mash, I'm ok and the info don't mean squat.

    Prolly the same reason I don't need a HR monitor. If I get a pain in my chest, I slow down!

  8. #8
    Clydeasaurus tomdaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my cadence setup, but don't always use it. It won't take long now that you are paying attention to improve your cadence. A month improved mine alot.
    2007 TerraTrike Cruiser (XL) Trike
    2004 Rans Stratus XL LWB Recumbent
    1999 Trek Navigator 200 21"

  9. #9
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great topic! Thanks.....

    OK So my Computer does not tell me cadence..and I may get one..So here's the question...is the fastest way to catch up to the fast guys - is it to improve my cadence? (Also I did hear for evey 10 pound I lose I will be a ton quicker up the hills)..but in truth it does sound like if I can measure my cadence and spin fast (like Mr Beanz) then perhaps I will really improve... Is that the secret? is it a good thing for weight loss as well???

    In the gym - my thoguht was thoguh I do do uphills on the elliptical - that the reallty hard thing is to increase rpm...maybe that is true for road biking as well?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,028
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbumble View Post
    So here's the question...is the fastest way to catch up to the fast guys - is it to improve my cadence?
    I tend to be faster than most of my riding buddies, especially into a strong head wind or up hills. The only thing I can attribute this to is that I tend to spin an easier gear at 95-105rpm while they're all tiring themselves out mashing big gears...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Steelman road bike, '81 Schwinn Le Tour single speed,
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzlobo View Post
    Meh, bike computers take all the fun out of my 11.223 mile commute.


    lawl.

  12. #12
    Senior Member natbla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    I spin at about 90. I had a cadence function on my computer but once I realized I'm a spinner, I have no need for it. What do I care whether I spin at 95, 90, or 87? As long as I don't mash, I'm ok and the info don't mean squat.

    Prolly the same reason I don't need a HR monitor. If I get a pain in my chest, I slow down!
    I'm an admitted data geek. So having more numbers to back up my desired changes in lifestyle, or riding style (I tend toward mashing if I'm not paying attention) makes it easier for me to stick to things and work for improvements.

  13. #13
    Senior Member st0ut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    new england
    My Bikes
    Wife Trek 7100, GT lola, specialzed Hotrock, Trek Grommet, dead Trek 5200(KIA rear derailer failed and brok frame), and Trek 720 (Died of neglect when the 5200 became a stable mate)
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbumble View Post
    Great topic! Thanks.....

    OK So my Computer does not tell me cadence..and I may get one..So here's the question...is the fastest way to catch up to the fast guys - is it to improve my cadence? (Also I did hear for evey 10 pound I lose I will be a ton quicker up the hills)..but in truth it does sound like if I can measure my cadence and spin fast (like Mr Beanz) then perhaps I will really improve... Is that the secret? is it a good thing for weight loss as well???

    In the gym - my thoguht was thoguh I do do uphills on the elliptical - that the reallty hard thing is to increase rpm...maybe that is true for road biking as well?
    The best way to prove this theroy on a down hill decent. You should use the same hill a few times.

    When cresting the top put your gears on the big ring and small cog. and MASH down the hill.
    The next time Big Ring and a gear that you spin at a high rate but you feel like you are kicking something.
    Cars make you weak.

  14. #14
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threw the computer away years ago. I would like to try a heart rate monitor though. Maybe I'll ask for a nice one this Xmas.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently switched from a old cateye that had just a couple functions to a garmin
    705 because I wanted to see my cadence and heart rate. I am just beginning to bike
    again after a looong time of not riding much. I was quite surprise to find that both
    my cadence and heart rate were higher than I thought they would be. If I am feeling
    good and moving at a good clip my cadence is 95-105 when I get tired it can drop
    down to 85 or so. I was a little surprised to see the heart rate going from 150bpm
    when taking it easy all the way up to 180bpm when I was trying to chase down
    an attractive person that zipped by me like I was standing still. I guess I need to
    get into better shape so they don't get away so fast

  16. #16
    Senior Member scrapmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Quartered safe out here
    My Bikes
    197x?? Raleigh rescued from scrap metal; Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my regular Friday route - 44 miles - with one eye on the cadence meter. True, it was over 95 here in VA, but I still finished completely exhausted. Well, finished, on the 34th mile I just quit and laid down under a maple tree for 15 minutes. Seemed like pedaling faster I run out of rpms before I finished the route

    But I could really feel it in my legs, it was much more intensive workout and I believe making a spinner out of masher is gonna help me in the long run.
    Po všetkém hovno, enem po včelách med.

  17. #17
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,536
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading over the in roadie forum a couple of days ago and they were talking about Lance Armstrong using aerobic fitness to zip the pedals at 120 rpm while Greg LeMond would use enormous legs and slower cadence. I take this as perhaps evidence that there's not one right way to do things.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •