Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   New York Law about posting calories in chain restaurants (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/442282-new-york-law-about-posting-calories-chain-restaurants.html)

ronjon10 07-17-08 12:20 AM

New York Law about posting calories in chain restaurants
 
Haven't seen a thread on this yet:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25464987...5773?GT1=31037

It's an article describing the new law in NY which requires chains (not just fast food places) to create menus with calories listed in the same font as the price.

Not really sure I like the law at all. I'd love it if these (and all) restaurants had this information available, but I don't think it needs to be mandated.

The article does have some interesting counts on calories in some foods, like the salad with some sort of nut encrusted chicken that has more calories (1300!) than the burger and fries (1200) at some joint. There's a lot of @#$ food out there.

Neil_B 07-17-08 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronjon10 (Post 7076558)
Haven't seen a thread on this yet:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25464987...5773?GT1=31037

It's an article describing the new law in NY which requires chains (not just fast food places) to create menus with calories listed in the same font as the price.

Not really sure I like the law at all. I'd love it if these (and all) restaurants had this information available, but I don't think it needs to be mandated.

The article does have some interesting counts on calories in some foods, like the salad with some sort of nut encrusted chicken that has more calories (1300!) than the burger and fries (1200) at some joint. There's a lot of @#$ food out there.

I'm undecided on this. My dislike of nanny-statism conflicts with my belief a consumer should have plenty of information so he can make an informed decision. I agree with you in thinking it doesn't need to be mandated.

The high calories are probably due to big portion sizes.

Air 07-17-08 08:43 AM

It's been absolutely awesome. I will actually make a point to go to the places that have it posted vs the ones that don't. Even a ride down to Coney Island for some hot dogs (~40 miles rt) doesn't have to be an 'off day' - I'll give myself a calorie budget and mix and match plenty.

It needs to be mandated otherwise none of them would do it - and if they did I doubt they'd be truthful. As it is some places (Dunkin' Donuts I think was one) had different amounts at each location for the same thing - one place had Boston Cream as only 80 calories :lol:

keithm0 07-17-08 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronjon10 (Post 7076558)
Not really sure I like the law at all. I'd love it if these (and all) restaurants had this information available, but I don't think it needs to be mandated.

I much prefer solutions like this to banning transfats or other specific ingredients -- give customers the information and let them make their own decisions.

Neil_B 07-17-08 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Air (Post 7078024)
It's been absolutely awesome. I will actually make a point to go to the places that have it posted vs the ones that don't. Even a ride down to Coney Island for some hot dogs (~40 miles rt) doesn't have to be an 'off day' - I'll give myself a calorie budget and mix and match plenty.

It needs to be mandated otherwise none of them would do it - and if they did I doubt they'd be truthful. As it is some places (Dunkin' Donuts I think was one) had different amounts at each location for the same thing - one place had Boston Cream as only 80 calories :lol:

Applebee's lists calories on some menu items without being required to.

As for Dunkin' Donuts, do they list the calories of the mouse they have in the donut case?

jyossarian 07-17-08 10:09 AM

Do they still teach the four basic food groups and the food pyramid in schools? Aside from giving people the information, people need to know what they should be eating and how it compares to what's served at a restaurant.

evblazer 07-17-08 10:54 AM

It is nice for when I go somewhere I have never been before and I'm trying something I've never even had before. On my own I'll have brocoli and brown rice. At a restaurant I'll have something with a dozen ingrendients and a sace which I have absolutely no idea of the calorie content.
It was interesting when I went to PF Changs (Asian Food) and saw they had that information on their menu. It was really suprising to see the calories and such for some of their food.

TurboTurtle 07-17-08 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evblazer (Post 7079080)
It is nice for when I go somewhere I have never been before and I'm trying something I've never even had before. On my own I'll have brocoli and brown rice. At a restaurant I'll have something with a dozen ingrendients and a sace which I have absolutely no idea of the calorie content.
It was interesting when I went to PF Changs (Asian Food) and saw they had that information on their menu. It was really suprising to see the calories and such for some of their food.

Not surprising. Restaurants make their living off of fat, salt and alcohol. - TF

mehhem 07-17-08 11:38 AM

Restaurants wouldn't put that info in if it wasn't mandatory. There are laws for everything.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 PM.