Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-08, 02:46 PM   #26
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's one of mine!

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/Centuries/Bear.htm


Anudder one!

http://www.cyclingpros.com/onyxprofile.htm

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 07-18-08 at 02:50 PM.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 03:01 PM   #27
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post
Heh, I don't have a choice here - pretty much anywhere further than a mile away involves hilly death. Nice to know even the skinny buggers hate them too though
I think it's funny that most clydes won't even try to climb. I believe mostly cause they believe what the hear. I did till I tried it. Takes time but keep at it and it gets better like every other aspect of cycling. Most try it once and say it hard so they quit.

Lets put it this way. I know about 15 clydes. The 10 that try, climb well. I know about 100 skinny cyclist and only 10 climb well.

66% of the clydes that try, do it! Only 10% of the skinnies do it. Percentage is better with clydes!

I believe that the best climbers are skinny riders. So they dominate that aspect of cycling. Only a handful of clydes will try so that's why we have a small gorup representin'!

I prepped for a ride named " Ride Around the Bear". 100 miles and 10,000ft. I was well trained so I did well for a clyde. At the bottom, all the racer types fly by. But mile 40, I was passing them back and dropping them like flies. Everytime I rode up on a rider, I'd see them give that last desperation try to stay ahead of the clyde!

It's a beautiful thing and feeling to pass the skinny boys in the mtns. Can't compete with a 10 mile climb, but throw in a 60 mile climber? Endurance and srength kick in baby!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 03:14 PM   #28
bcc
Large Member
 
bcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canterbury, UK
Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Bad Boy 700
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
I think it's funny that most clydes won't even try to climb. I believe mostly cause they believe what the hear. I did till I tried it. Takes time but keep at it and it gets better like every other aspect of cycling. Most try it once and say it hard so they quit.
Yeah, it's hard, but getting better. I'm not sure I'll be doing 10,000 foot climbs any time soon given that 1350 feet in 13 miles nearly killed me last weekend, but I shall keep at it. Of course, shifting some weight won't hurt either
bcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 03:25 PM   #29
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post
Yeah, it's hard, but getting better. I'm not sure I'll be doing 10,000 foot climbs any time soon given that 1350 feet in 13 miles nearly killed me last weekend, but I shall keep at it. Of course, shifting some weight won't hurt either

1350 in 13 miles great! Keep at it! My wife is always talking about toningher legs more thru riding. 3,000 miles a year (flatland) has done good but I always tellher the hills is what makes BIG differences.

When I train for a ride, I don't recognize my own legs!....MY knee area gets really small and my thighs blow up like pinatas! Plus the calves grow rocks in the back. I lose major weight when climbing consistently. I remember getting out of the shower one night and laying on the bed. I looked down at my body, saw my torso and legs and said to myself,"this is not my body!". Those were the good ol days. I need to get back into it!

Because of the gas, we've cut back drving 30 miles to the flat trail. Living at the foothills, we are forced to ride up to avoid traffic. Her legs are definitely showing changes in the last month. More than the 3 years on the flatlands!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 03:31 PM   #30
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Kar, you in Yorba or Pomona? Anywhere near Grand Ave/Chino Hills? Man, that is some great training ground. Ride those hills. I started there. Had a hard time making it up the first hill on Peyton. Kept at it and one day , it was a breeze!

Ever want to ride it, let me know, I'll ride with you! We used to do a loop from Pomona (near the Wonderbread factory). Peyton to Grand, Diamond Bar Blvd, along the 57 (can't member the anme of the canyon, old age) across Lambert thru Carbon Cyn back to Pomona.

30 hilly miles but a great ride and great training loop. Tough at first but gets better!

Of course just ridng Grand is good for starterrs!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 05:01 PM   #31
StephenH
Uber Goober
 
StephenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 11,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The percent grade is just the vertical rise divided by the horizontal distance. People that make roads have all this stuff laid out on paper and in the computer anyway, so they can tell you what the percent grade is. With a topographic map or the online approach, you should get a reasonable value for average grade over whatever length you're working with. If you want to check a short stretch, get a 2' or longer level, hold it level on the pavement, and measure the rise at one end. A 3% grade is only going to be 0.72" in 2 feet.

For reference, the interstates across Colorado mostly have maximum grades of about 7%. That was enough to slow our 4-cylinder minivan to about 45 mph. The steepest marked grade I've ever driven on was a 12% grade on an unpaved backroad in Colorado.
__________________
"be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."
StephenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 05:10 PM   #32
justin70
a big man
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Spokane
Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bab2000 View Post
How do you determine hills percentage of incline or the grade of a road?

I always guessed it was degree of angle, yet reading this it is not.

It is simple rise over run. If you climb 1 ft vertical while travelling 10 feet horizontal, that is a 10% grade.

A decent site to calculate grade with google maps is www.toporoute.com
justin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 09:35 PM   #33
Iamkar33m
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
Hey Kar, you in Yorba or Pomona? Anywhere near Grand Ave/Chino Hills? Man, that is some great training ground. Ride those hills. I started there. Had a hard time making it up the first hill on Peyton. Kept at it and one day , it was a breeze!

Ever want to ride it, let me know, I'll ride with you! We used to do a loop from Pomona (near the Wonderbread factory). Peyton to Grand, Diamond Bar Blvd, along the 57 (can't member the anme of the canyon, old age) across Lambert thru Carbon Cyn back to Pomona.

30 hilly miles but a great ride and great training loop. Tough at first but gets better!

Of course just ridng Grand is good for starterrs!
Hey Beanz, those are some good suggestions you made. I will try them as soon as my TriCross comes in to RnR. I am normally in Yorba Linda on the weekends (staying with my parents), and in Pomona during the week (attending classes @ Cal Poly).

I will start using Grand for hill/endurance training and use SART on the weekends for distance training. I might try to join you and Gina on one of your Sunday rides, that is if I can keep up with you two. I hate to be a sandbag to people who are capable of going at a faster pace.
Iamkar33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 10:23 PM   #34
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m View Post
I will start using Grand for hill/endurance training and use SART on the weekends for distance training. I might try to join you and Gina on one of your Sunday rides, that is if I can keep up with you two. I hate to be a sandbag to people who are capable of going at a faster pace.
Sounds like a good training plan!

We only do 16.5 as an average. Sounds low but with the wind, it can be tough sometimes. But we don't ride to drop fellow riders. But I do go to ride. I'm usually at the front and can't hear squat cause of the wind so I don't talk much while actual riding. Gina doesn't either cause she's concentrating on staying on my wheel.

We ride together and if needed, regroup about every 5 miles or so if someone falls behind. But we don't try to drop others if it's a guest, not even sure if we could. We stop frequently if it's a friendly ride so that's where we do our talking.

Drives me crazy trying to ride while someone wants to discuss what nose hair trimmer I use!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 10:39 PM   #35
Iamkar33m
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thats cool. I prolly wont hear you if you talk anyways, I am hard of hearing... practically deaf.

I will have to take you up on your ride offer when I get the Tricross, or the Madone (whichever comes first).
Iamkar33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 10:46 PM   #36
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m View Post
I prolly wont hear you if you talk anyways, I am hard of hearing... practically deaf.

I'm getting there! I had my ears tested every year while working at a steel company and loud machinery. They said I had some hearing loss. And all this time I just thought Gina was a quiet, sort of shy type of girl!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 10:54 PM   #37
Iamkar33m
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
I'm getting there! I had my ears tested every year while working at a steel company and loud machinery. They said I had some hearing loss. And all this time I just thought Gina was a quiet, sort of shy type of girl!
Without my hearing aids you could fly a 747 behind me and I couldnt tell it happened. With my hearing aids I am only back up to 40% hearing.

You should look into getting hearing aids if you want to stay out of the doghouse.
Iamkar33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 10:59 PM   #38
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m View Post
Without my hearing aids you could fly a 747 behind me and I couldnt tell it happened. With my hearing aids I am only back up to 40% hearing.

You should look into getting hearing aids if you want to stay out of the doghouse.
Hehehehe! Mine aren't that bad yet. Just some high freq loss. Kind of nice when the grandkids start whiney crying!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 11:04 PM   #39
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have an older gentleman friend that sometimes rides with us named Boyd. He has a glass eye. Now that I think would make it tough to ride. You can't tell , nice eye but 5 grand? Heck, I'd have a Madone and wear a patch!

He rides extremely well. My father is blind in one eye and always complaining his perception is off. But Boyd rides a straight line no problem. I think my Dad just doesn't want to try a bike!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 11:07 PM   #40
Iamkar33m
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
We have an older gentleman friend that sometimes rides with us named Boyd. He has a glass eye. Now that I think would make it tough to ride. You can't tell , nice eye but 5 grand? Heck, I'd have a Madone and wear a patch!

He rides extremely well. My father is blind in one eye and always complaining his perception is off. But Boyd rides a straight line no problem. I think my Dad just doesn't want to try a bike!
Practice makes perfect. I used to not know how to lip read, but now I do it naturally without even trying.
Iamkar33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 11:14 PM   #41
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is Boyd. What is more amazing than his balance and perception with one eye is the fact that he does 60-70 mile rides in courdoroy shorts!...I can't spell courdoroy...I'd be singing like a BeeGee if I tried!


Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 11:16 PM   #42
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m View Post
Practice makes perfect. I used to not know how to lip read, but now I do it naturally without even trying.
Yup, they say once a person loses one sense, it enhances another. I'm hoping to lose my sense of humor for some money making sense!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 11:18 PM   #43
Iamkar33m
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
Yup, they say once a person loses one sense, it enhances another. I'm hoping to lose my sense of humor for some money making sense!
Let me know if that works out, God knows I need a money making sense right about now.
Iamkar33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 11:40 PM   #44
txvintage
Tilting with windmills
 
txvintage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas 'Burbs
Bikes: Many
Posts: 4,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m View Post
Just because I ride a Madone, it doesn't imbue me with Lance Armstrong's powers; contrary to what most people believe.

Alas, another dream shattered.
txvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 11:45 PM   #45
Iamkar33m
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txvintage View Post
Alas, another dream shattered.
Sorry

At least you figured it out before spending $3k on a bike that would have shattered your dreams anyway
Iamkar33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 11:59 PM   #46
noteon 
Drops small screws
 
noteon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Heavily modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL that's been turned into a brevet bike, two 20" Torker Interurbans
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m View Post
I only found out today what the grade of that hill was
How'd you do that? I've been trying to find information about the grade of a hill out here for weeks.
__________________
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Learning to wrench better this year—current project: Fixie from build kit
noteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 12:02 AM   #47
Iamkar33m
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m View Post
Just because I ride a Madone, it doesn't imbue me with Lance Armstrong's powers; contrary to what most people believe.


For finding the grade of a hill, I used http://toporoute.com/cgi-bin/bicycle.cgi

Just plot a route on the hill you take and find the elevation/mean grade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noteon View Post
How'd you do that? I've been trying to find information about the grade of a hill out here for weeks.
Read and ye shall know.
Iamkar33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 12:13 AM   #48
noteon 
Drops small screws
 
noteon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Heavily modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL that's been turned into a brevet bike, two 20" Torker Interurbans
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m View Post
Read and ye shall know.
Damn! Not fine enough resolution. I just want to know the grade of this one really short stretch.

Thanks, though.
__________________
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Learning to wrench better this year—current project: Fixie from build kit
noteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 12:15 AM   #49
Iamkar33m
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noteon View Post
Damn! Not fine enough resolution. I just want to know the grade of this one really short stretch.

Thanks, though.
That must be a REALLY short stretch... like 5 ft or something.

Last edited by Iamkar33m; 07-19-08 at 12:21 AM.
Iamkar33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 12:17 AM   #50
noteon 
Drops small screws
 
noteon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Heavily modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL that's been turned into a brevet bike, two 20" Torker Interurbans
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m View Post
That must be a REALLY short stretch... like 5ft or something.
That map says it's .05 miles. So you're not that far off...
__________________
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Learning to wrench better this year—current project: Fixie from build kit
noteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38 AM.