Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   I need some maintenence help (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/447572-i-need-some-maintenence-help.html)

BlankTim 07-29-08 05:37 PM

I need some maintenence help
 
I need to clean the change on my bike. I looked at it the other night and it is just disgusting how much gunk and ick is on it so I went out and bought one of the Parks tool chain cleaner systems.
Now, everything I've read, or watched for a how to on the net either implies or explicitly states that I need to use a repair stand.
Do I have to? I don't have one, I don't have access to one, and I really can't afford to go out and buy one.

I know it's bad to wash the bike up side because water can get into areas it shouldn't, but all I want to do is clean and re-lube the chain. Can I just turn the bike upside down and clean the chain?

-Devil- 07-29-08 05:54 PM

you don't have to use one .. i normally would flip my bike upside down and just clamp it on a different spot then they show .. so that the chain still goes in the same direction ...

and washing the bike, upside down or rightside up doesn't matter .. just don't spray high pressure water into the areas where there are bearings ... but you can use water and rinse it off ... jus tmake sure to dry it afterwards .. and relube stuff ...

Carbon Unit 07-29-08 06:02 PM

I don't wash my bike. I clean it with a rag and Windex. I use a bike stand but you could do without the stand. Flip the bike upside down. Put some cleaner, I use kerosene, on a rag was wipe the chain down as well as possible. I use a removable chain link so I can take the chain off and drop it in a bucket of kerosene.

If you decide to buy a bike stand in the future, take a look at the Ultimate Elite Pro bike stand. Works very well and folds down and stored in a carrying bag.

77midget 07-29-08 06:08 PM

I go ghetto for my bike stand-I have a roto-tiller and the handles are up high. I just the handles through the triangle of my frame, and bungee them together. voila!

What I mean by this is that sometimes, something completely unrelated can act as a stand. If not, just flip it, and make sure that the chain is still feeding in the correct direction. When flipped, and lubing, however, you might want to cover things like your seat, or racks, seat bag, etc, as they might get some overspray of stuff.

Mr. Beanz 07-29-08 06:14 PM

I clean and work on my bikes while setting on the trainer. I use a wet rag to clean after every ride then wax the frame maybe once every two months.

I saturate a rag with WD 40 the run the chain thru. Let it sit overnight to dry, then relube.

77midget 07-29-08 06:18 PM

i am sure that this will raise some questions, but when my chain gets real bad, I completely break it down with brake cleaner and a toothbrush. Clean-dry-lube-spin repeat. I do this a couple times. The BC is great for getting gunk out from inside the rivets. when that is done, I relube it rivet by rivet.

I plan on switching to a powerlink so I can pop it off an soak it like Carbon Unit does.

lil brown bat 07-29-08 06:24 PM

I'd suggest not letting stuff get gunked up real bad. Regular cleanings are easy, fast, not-so-messy cleanings.

BlankTim 07-29-08 06:27 PM

Excellent, Thanks everyone.

I'm off to go clean my chain then. :thumb:

77midget 07-29-08 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil brown bat (Post 7163086)
I'd suggest not letting stuff get gunked up real bad. Regular cleanings are easy, fast, not-so-messy cleanings.

agreed-those bad times for me were after a week of rain commuting.

BlankTim 07-29-08 06:31 PM

I agree, it's just that this bike spent the last 8 years hanging in the garage, where its owner left it.
I'm just "borrowing" it. Of course now that it is "mine", yea, it's going to be taken better care of. :lol:

-Devil- 07-29-08 06:52 PM

haha, yeah on a chain ... the more often you clean it .. 'supposidly' the longer it and the rest of the drivetrain will last ...

i think that comes down more to the lube you use, and the riding conditions .. and if you use some sort of 'powerlink' to make the chain come apart and go back easily without weakening a link in the chain.

normally about every 100 miles (most all of my miles are off road) i will run my chain through the little cleaning machine about 10 times or so ... then towel it dry ... maybe take some compressed air to it ... and at the same time i clean out the cassette and the front rings and derailers ... then will spray lube the chain and wipe it down one more time as i run it through all the gears to get some on each of em ...

dscheidt 07-29-08 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlankTim (Post 7163143)
I agree, it's just that this bike spent the last 8 years hanging in the garage, where its owner left it.
I'm just "borrowing" it. Of course now that it is "mine", yea, it's going to be taken better care of. :lol:

You know, after sitting for that long, I think I'd be inclined to replace the chain. I expect it's got nasty gunk well into the rivets, and probably rust. Cleaning and relubing may get it clean and free moving, or it may not. A new chain isn't expensive, and can make a big difference in how the bike rides.

-Devil- 07-29-08 07:03 PM

even if it's old .. cleaning and lubing it will still make it work for a little while longer ...

Wogster 07-29-08 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlankTim (Post 7162762)
I need to clean the change on my bike. I looked at it the other night and it is just disgusting how much gunk and ick is on it so I went out and bought one of the Parks tool chain cleaner systems.
Now, everything I've read, or watched for a how to on the net either implies or explicitly states that I need to use a repair stand.
Do I have to? I don't have one, I don't have access to one, and I really can't afford to go out and buy one.

I know it's bad to wash the bike up side because water can get into areas it shouldn't, but all I want to do is clean and re-lube the chain. Can I just turn the bike upside down and clean the chain?

I have a simple method of cleaning the chain, get a rag, spray some degreaser on it, run it through back pedalling a few times, let it dry, check it for length, if it's okay, relube, if not, then off to the bike shop for a new one. Chains run $20 to $25, not enough money to really worry about it.

bigwies 07-29-08 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wogsterca (Post 7163662)
I have a simple method of cleaning the chain, get a rag, spray some degreaser on it, run it through back pedalling a few times, let it dry, check it for length, if it's okay, relube, if not, then off to the bike shop for a new one. Chains run $20 to $25, not enough money to really worry about it.

+100 to this advice. Especially about checking your chain length. I did not check my chain length and ended up having to replace my entire drivetrain @ 2600 miles ( crankset, chain and cassette). I did take the opportunity to upgrade to Shimano 105 components, but it was a pretty expensive bit of maintenance.

Alathea 07-29-08 08:06 PM

I have a rack from walmart that hangs on the wall and folds up. Its not this one, mine is two hooks that fold down parallel to the floor and are spread about 30 degrees. This one works similar. It doens't hold the bike from moving laterally but it worked ok enough for me to adjust my trim on the front tonight.

http://walmart.scene7.com/walmart/fl...ategoryid=4171

-Devil- 07-29-08 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alathea (Post 7163935)
I have a rack from walmart that hangs on the wall and folds up. Its not this one, mine is two hooks that fold down parallel to the floor and are spread about 30 degrees. This one works similar. It doens't hold the bike from moving laterally but it worked ok enough for me to adjust my trim on the front tonight.

http://walmart.scene7.com/walmart/fl...ategoryid=4171

i have thought about getting one of those just for storing a bike up on the wall ... startin to get to many bikes layin around lol

Alathea 07-29-08 08:27 PM

Make darn sure you have a stud....I hung mine up and it fell off after about two weeks because I wasn't all the way in a stud. Yikes.



Quote:

Originally Posted by -Devil- (Post 7163949)
i have thought about getting one of those just for storing a bike up on the wall ... startin to get to many bikes layin around lol


wrk101 07-29-08 09:31 PM

While I have a nice repair stand, I clean the chain by putting the bike on my $10 or less Lowes Wall rack. It is easier to do there, bike is higher in the air (due to the height I have my wall rack). I put a blue plastic tarp on the garage floor, as it tends to get a little messy.

BlankTim 07-29-08 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wogsterca (Post 7163662)
I have a simple method of cleaning the chain, get a rag, spray some degreaser on it, run it through back pedalling a few times, let it dry, check it for length, if it's okay, relube, if not, then off to the bike shop for a new one. Chains run $20 to $25, not enough money to really worry about it.

$25.00 for a new chain is probably cheap insurance. I'll look into that tomorrow while I'm running around town.
How tough are they to install? I suppose it's not a one-size-fits-most deal, and I'll probably have to invest in some type of tool for the job, ja?

I really should spring for a full trip to the shop. I've noticed some shifting issues that I would imagine would be easier for them to fix. One of the shops wants almost $200.00 for a tune-up, not including parts. I can buy 1/3 - 1/2 of a new bike for that. I'm not cheap, just poor. :lol:

Alathea 07-29-08 11:08 PM

Ouch. A good tune up and a drive train dip here is about 60 bucks.

neilfein 07-30-08 06:54 AM

I use a standalone 2-bike rack as a workstand. I hear of people using one of those racks you strap onto the trunk of a car as a workstand.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 AM.