Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    aka Erica the Hon
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    First commute completed!

    Finally! I got started commuting to work by bike, not an easy feat with all the rain/thunder/lightening we've been having in Toronto. Even better, I opted for the round trip commute instead of splitting the commute distance over 2 days.

    All combining to a new milestone of 18 1/4 km round trip. WooHOO. I'm not even especially stiff this morning! 20km here I come

    I think I would be in even better shape if I hadn't forgotten to wear my stupid bike shorts. I was so worried about forgetting something important for work that they totally slipped my mind
    Conquering the GTA, one block at a time...

  2. #2
    Mega Clyde bigwies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melrose, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome job. Commuting addiction is right around the corner. Soon you will be adding km's just to get more riding in.
    Big Wies

    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Trek 7100

  3. #3
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,014
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, but the bolded blue statement made me take a double take when I first read this.....

    Then again, earlier this morning I was proofreading an article for a friend about the "World Naked Bike Ride" Movement, so my imagination was already active.......

    Quote Originally Posted by esaunders View Post
    Finally! I got started commuting to work by bike, not an easy feat with all the rain/thunder/lightening we've been having in Toronto. Even better, I opted for the round trip commute instead of splitting the commute distance over 2 days.

    All combining to a new milestone of 18 1/4 km round trip. WooHOO. I'm not even especially stiff this morning! 20km here I come

    I think I would be in even better shape if I hadn't forgotten to wear my stupid bike shorts.
    I was so worried about forgetting something important for work that they totally slipped my mind
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  4. #4
    aka Erica the Hon
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, you are hilarious


    You know, I thought about clairifying that I wear my bike shorts under a set of capris ... but then thought "naah, they'll know what I mean. I forget that this is a mostly male membership, assume nothing. (especially when potential nudity is involved)

    Now ... will I make this one step worse by wondering why only my hips are sore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Congratulations, but the bolded blue statement made me take a double take when I first read this.....

    Then again, earlier this morning I was proofreading an article for a friend about the "World Naked Bike Ride" Movement, so my imagination was already active.......
    Last edited by esaunders; 07-30-08 at 09:16 AM.
    Conquering the GTA, one block at a time...

  5. #5
    This Space For Rent Stujoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern IL
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by esaunders View Post
    Finally! I got started commuting to work by bike, not an easy feat with all the rain/thunder/lightening we've been having in Toronto. Even better, I opted for the round trip commute instead of splitting the commute distance over 2 days.

    All combining to a new milestone of 18 1/4 km round trip. WooHOO. I'm not even especially stiff this morning! 20km here I come

    I think I would be in even better shape if I hadn't forgotten to wear my stupid bike shorts. I was so worried about forgetting something important for work that they totally slipped my mind
    Congrats! That first trip or two is scary making sure you have everything. It gets easy as you get organized after a while. Becomes second nature.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in kitchener....thought about biking today, but decided not to due to weather. my hat's off to you.

  7. #7
    aka Erica the Hon
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brando, I wasn't brave enough to face today either. I biked yesterday to avoid today's storm. Friday's looking good, if hot, so I'm going for a repeat then. I figure 2 days recovery will set me up well for it.

    Tonight on the other hand, is a night for chocolate martinis!
    Conquering the GTA, one block at a time...

  8. #8
    This Space For Rent Stujoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern IL
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been getting frustrated with the weather. I have been avoiding riding when the weather says rain but 2 days in a row, the days were beautiful even though they called for thunderstorms all day. So, I road in 2 days ago in a little bit of drizzle and it was great in the afternoon.

  9. #9
    Read, Ride, Repeat ModelT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good luck to forget something on a ride. Sunglasses one day, gloves the next...

    At least, I hope so, because I always forget something, and need all the luck I can get.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    1,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used to forget things, but now i have a stockpile at work of one of everything extra. it helps out and lets me ride the road bike in one day a week, a nice treat.

    I thought that riding in the rain would be ok, but putting the clothes back on at the end of the day is terrible, and if i ride on a rainy day my shoes are out of commission for the next.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marysville WA
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job. The first one is the hardest. It gets easier from here on out. Just ride careful.

  12. #12
    Mega Clyde bigwies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melrose, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler View Post
    i used to forget things, but now i have a stockpile at work of one of everything extra. it helps out and lets me ride the road bike in one day a week, a nice treat.

    I thought that riding in the rain would be ok, but putting the clothes back on at the end of the day is terrible, and if i ride on a rainy day my shoes are out of commission for the next.
    Riding in the rain is not bad at all. It is the aftermath that is the problem. +1 on the soaked shoes. If you don't have fenders, your clothes will be a mess. I go by this rule of thumb. If it is dry in the morning, I ride. If I get wet on the way home, no big deal, just dry everything out and I am good to go the next day. I always put my shoes in front of a fan after a rain ride and they are always dry by morning.

    Just my $0.02
    Big Wies

    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Trek 7100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •