Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member jkemp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Oh the humidity!

    Yesterday was one of those days where every time I left work I went, "Damn it's hot." High of ~95* with a max of 93% humidity; news people said it felt like 108*F! It was ~90*F with 80% humidity at 6:30pm when I finally talked myself into going for a ride. After ~30 seconds of standing outside, coming from a/c, even my bike and glasses were sweating. I only did 18 miles, I usually manage 30+ on week nights, especially after a no-ride weekend(<---). I actually found that the heat/humidity didn't affect my riding much. I didn't seem to need nearly as much water, I only drank about 8 oz of the 24 that I brought (although I drank 2 liters in the afternoon at work). I guess because my sweat didn't evaporate as fast? My legs seemed to feel good a lot quicker, normally takes about 8-10 miles to feel good, took about 4-6 last night. I won't say that I like riding in such heat/humidity but it was definitely bearable and I'm glad I decided to go rather than lounging around in front of the tv/xbox all night.

    I'm curious if anyone else is dealing with this right now, extreme humidity that is. Do you take any precautions?

    Also, does anyone live in a place that's never humid? Does such a place even exist?

  2. #2
    Grammar Cop Condorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Papa Smurf's Lair
    My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, southern California is supposed to be semi-arid desert. But that "non-existent" global warming has it damned humid right now.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

  3. #3
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I am a newbie...so take this for what it is worth ....and yup riding in the humidity is a bear. The hardest part is actually starting out like you described.

    I am not sure about dringking less water - maybe cause it's so yucky out that you only think you need less water. I think I would stick to the same amount of water you need on most rides - our bodies don't tell us when we are thirsty really on the bike. I am told there's a fine line between drinking enough and drinking too much, but I guess I'd rather err on the side of drinking too much water.
    Last edited by Missbumble; 08-05-08 at 09:20 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a fine line on drinking too much water, most of us never have to worry about reaching that line.

    Riding in humidity is a fact of life here on the east coast, I find that if I don't drink enough before the ride, during the ride and after the ride, I pay for it the next few days as my body craves liquid but it just flushes out as I have no need for it(at work no need for the extra water). I still get exercise as the closest facility is 6 flights down the stairs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do NOT wait until you feel thirsty to drink water... you should always be drinking water regardless of what your body tells you. If you wait until you feel thirsty then you're almost at the point of dehydration and that's not good.

  6. #6
    Senior Member jkemp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamkar33m View Post
    Do NOT wait until you feel thirsty to drink water... you should always be drinking water regardless of what your body tells you. If you wait until you feel thirsty then you're almost at the point of dehydration and that's not good.
    I've heard this numerous times. Seems like stupid body would know when to tell me to drink, if it doesn't want to get dehydrated. This is the only reason I drank any water on my ride yesterday. I was around mile 12 and thought, "Dehydrated, you will be, if you don't drink before thirsty" Then chugged down half a previously frozen bottle; really cold water = .

  7. #7
    Kyleness
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's the old saying? drink before you're thirsty, eat before you're hungry and shift before you need to.
    yeah i'm pretty sure that's it. i take a swig ever 10-15 minutes on the bike at least, thirsty or not. especially when its hot out it at least helps my mouth not get all dried out. i only "eat" on the bike if the ride is going to be more than an hour or 2 though.
    and yeah you can drink too much water but that is hard to do, and it isn't so much that you have too much water. the reason it's bad is because to much water messes up the water/electolyte ratio in your body. At least that's the problem from what i know. you can help compensate for that by using sports drink or home recipes of drinks that are high in electrolytes instead of just plain water. I'm not a doctor or anything, but from everything i've read that's what i know

    kyle

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually have my 100oz. camelback with Aquafina water and two 24oz. bottle of Gatorade's Propel water. The Aquafina is just my regular hydration water and the Propel contains electrolytes to keep my body from water poisoning. I try to drink about 10 fl. oz. of fluid per mile that I ride and on a 12-13 mile ride that can equal about a gallon of water!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Mojave 8.0, Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er (project, to be a SS rigid), Kona Dew Plus
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eh, in louisiana we are used to humidity ... i still drink my way through most all the water i bring with me even on days that it is in the 90% range ... but it is out of habit .. i don't wait for my body to tell me it wants some ...

    a lot of people seem to go by if their mouth feels dry ... it is to late then, esp in a humid climate.

  10. #10
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,673
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
    Yesterday was one of those days where every time I left work I went, "Damn it's hot." High of ~95* with a max of 93% humidity; news people said it felt like 108*F! It was ~90*F with 80% humidity at 6:30pm when I finally talked myself into going for a ride. After ~30 seconds of standing outside, coming from a/c, even my bike and glasses were sweating. I only did 18 miles, I usually manage 30+ on week nights, especially after a no-ride weekend(<---). I actually found that the heat/humidity didn't affect my riding much. I didn't seem to need nearly as much water, I only drank about 8 oz of the 24 that I brought (although I drank 2 liters in the afternoon at work). I guess because my sweat didn't evaporate as fast? My legs seemed to feel good a lot quicker, normally takes about 8-10 miles to feel good, took about 4-6 last night. I won't say that I like riding in such heat/humidity but it was definitely bearable and I'm glad I decided to go rather than lounging around in front of the tv/xbox all night.

    I'm curious if anyone else is dealing with this right now, extreme humidity that is. Do you take any precautions?

    Also, does anyone live in a place that's never humid? Does such a place even exist?
    Most of The Gulf Coast AREA rides are High Humidity. I have had ship Captains tell me Houston Area is the Highest Humidity they have ever seen.
    Today's 4 mile ride #168:


    Storm Ride: Warning::: As Exciting as watching toast in a toaster.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh2uMlyHT58
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this.
    http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garde...ather/heat.htm
    Scroll down a ways and you can see a table showing temperature by humidity and the perceived temp. To the OP, it's WAY higher than 108 when it's 95 w/ 80% humidity (Check out the heat stress index).

    I am from southern CA, and now live here. The humidity just destroys me. There is no way to cool down when it's humid. I was just in Boston, and even though the temps were much lower, I was sweating like a ***** in church the whole time.

  12. #12
    Senior Member jkemp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctwxlvr View Post
    Riding in humidity is a fact of life here on the east coast
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Most of The Gulf Coast AREA rides are High Humidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by mo_feezy View Post
    I am from southern CA, and now live here. The humidity just destroys me.
    So it's humid everywhere. Any Canadians with input on this?

  13. #13
    Rabbit Habbit! Jerry in So IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Johnston City, IL
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus 08
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hot and sticky here!
    The one thing I DO like about the humidity is that I get a good sweat and keeps the muscles warm quickly.

    Like others said, keep drinking, even when you don't feel you need to.

    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirels and such....

  14. #14
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,459
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just complaining at lunch because it's about 90 degrees out and about 75 - 80% humidity. Really nasty for Southern California where weather is generally dryer. We seem to be going through a particularly nasty summer, much more humid than usual. Heat not so much a problem, I'm used to that. But humidity? sucks! It's really hard to keep enough water in as I seem to be sweating it all out.

    The only good thing here - it does get cooler at night and a little breeze comes up. It's gets almost pleasant. I know back east it just stays sucky.
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  15. #15
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,613
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My inlaws used to live in Grand Junction, CO. Got hot there, but low humidity.

    Sunday, it was 103 or so here, but humidity was 30% or so. So the wind chill was 101 I guess.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  16. #16
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,459
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I did a ride in July, through Montana. Every day it was over 105 but the only thing that kept me moving was the fact it was very dry out, probably less than 20%... I couldn't sweat if I wanted to!!!! Heat and low humidity is doable. Heat and humidity? Time to take in a movie!
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  17. #17
    This Space For Rent Stujoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern IL
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm near St Louis and it has been miserably humid the last couple days. yesterday was heat index of 110 and today was about the same. In other words, a normal August. lol

    I rode in both days. I was going to ride all the way home yesterday but played an hour and a half of 3 on 3 walleyball after work and decided to take the train half way home to avoid the highway. I was a little worried about the combination of heat and tired legs on the stretch that has a long (for me) climb and fast moving traffic.

    The thunderboomers are happening right now so maybe it will break the humidity.

  18. #18
    Senior Member jboyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Giant "Rainier"
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3 Southern Illinois boys have chimed in. Stujoe is nestled near the heated concrete of 2million folks in St. Louis and the moisture of the Mississippi. Jerry and I are about an hour and a half south of Stujoe and are hemmed in between the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and the summer humidity around is always horrible.

    I was diagnosed last Friday with Pnuemonia and the 98 degree temp with 90% humidity feels like I am being strangled. I have a charity ride at Midnight on the 16th of Aug in downtown St. louis. Not for sure how that is going to go

    Jay

  19. #19
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,115
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If you have pneumonia, and still have fluid in your lungs on the day of the ride, you should really think about aborting.....

    You can't get full oxygenation unless you have full lung capacity. You could very easily wind up inpatient.
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
    The 3 Southern Illinois boys have chimed in. Stujoe is nestled near the heated concrete of 2million folks in St. Louis and the moisture of the Mississippi. Jerry and I are about an hour and a half south of Stujoe and are hemmed in between the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and the summer humidity around is always horrible.

    I was diagnosed last Friday with Pnuemonia and the 98 degree temp with 90% humidity feels like I am being strangled. I have a charity ride at Midnight on the 16th of Aug in downtown St. louis. Not for sure how that is going to go

    Jay
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,271
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkemp9 View Post
    I've heard this numerous times. Seems like stupid body would know when to tell me to drink, if it doesn't want to get dehydrated. This is the only reason I drank any water on my ride yesterday. I was around mile 12 and thought, "Dehydrated, you will be, if you don't drink before thirsty" Then chugged down half a previously frozen bottle; really cold water = .
    Well, thirst response lags dehydration. You don't feel thirsty until you've lost 1 or 2% of your fluid volume. And you're limited to the rate at which you can absorb water. In hot weather, it's quite possible to sweat two liters an hour, but very hard to drink that much. Thirst perception goes down with age; people over 50 have greatly reduced thirst response to the same fluid loss.

  21. #21
    Rabbit Habbit! Jerry in So IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Johnston City, IL
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus 08
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
    The 3 Southern Illinois boys have chimed in. Stujoe is nestled near the heated concrete of 2million folks in St. Louis and the moisture of the Mississippi. Jerry and I are about an hour and a half south of Stujoe and are hemmed in between the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and the summer humidity around is always horrible.

    I was diagnosed last Friday with Pnuemonia and the 98 degree temp with 90% humidity feels like I am being strangled. I have a charity ride at Midnight on the 16th of Aug in downtown St. louis. Not for sure how that is going to go

    Jay
    Jay

    Take care of yourself! I would hate to miss you at St Louis.

    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirels and such....

  22. #22
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse , Cannondale SuperSix, Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    3,980
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Houston Area is the Highest Humidity they have ever seen.
    A truer statement has never been said. That place is miserable. My dad used to live there and I hate to visit no matter what time of year. Then my in laws moved there for a short period of time. I still sucked.
    Brian | 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix (for sale)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •