Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Posts
    6,759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hope everyone is OK

    There was a massive explosion at Sunrise Propane on Murray Road here in Toronto (Keele and Wilson area), at around 4AM. I know there are a number of us here in T.O. hope nobody was affected. They have evacuated everyone within a 1.6km (1 mile) area. I am about 2km away, so unaffected.

    Riding in the city is going to more onerous then usual, the busiest piece of highway in North America is Toronto's 16 lane wide Highway 401 between Highways 404 and 400, right now it is closed as it it passes through this area, This means thousands of extra clueless cagers on city streets, So lets be careful out there today, It's supposed to rain today, so a lot of rides will not occur anyway, but....

  2. #2
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    There was a massive explosion at Sunrise Propane on Murray Road here in Toronto (Keele and Wilson area), at around 4AM. I know there are a number of us here in T.O. hope nobody was affected. They have evacuated everyone within a 1.6km (1 mile) area. I am about 2km away, so unaffected.

    Riding in the city is going to more onerous then usual, the busiest piece of highway in North America is Toronto's 16 lane wide Highway 401 between Highways 404 and 400, right now it is closed as it it passes through this area, This means thousands of extra clueless cagers on city streets, So lets be careful out there today, It's supposed to rain today, so a lot of rides will not occur anyway, but....
    Reportedly the explosion was heard as far away as Niagara Falls.

  3. #3
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't bother us down here in Dallas. Though we had our own explosion some time back.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  4. #4
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Posts
    6,759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    Didn't bother us down here in Dallas. Though we had our own explosion some time back.
    Considering that there are about 6 or 7 of us here in Toronto, it's a concern for us here.....

  5. #5
    invisible friend seenoweevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Decatur, Alabama
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
    Posts
    961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes to all in the area. I work in a chemical plant myself and have lost friends and co-workers in a similar manner. Anything like this has an extremely broad effect on local populations. Special prayers for all our 2-wheeled friends in and around Toronto for their safety.
    Faster than a sundial.

  6. #6
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    15,958
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Wow! I used to haul parts and stuff into that facility!

    Here's hoping all is well!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  7. #7
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Posts
    6,759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Wow! I used to haul parts and stuff into that facility!

    Here's hoping all is well!
    More likely you would be doing deliveries into Bombardier Aerospace, which is only a block away, at the south west end of the old Downsview Air Base..... Since I work nights, I was actually just going to bed and heard boom - boom - boom - boom boom - boom went on for over an hour or so. This was a 6 alarm fire, and over 12,000 people were asked to evacuate the area.

  8. #8
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    15,958
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Nope, regulator valves, Piping stock and such for the tank farm.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    More likely you would be doing deliveries into Bombardier Aerospace, which is only a block away, at the south west end of the old Downsview Air Base..... Since I work nights, I was actually just going to bed and heard boom - boom - boom - boom boom - boom went on for over an hour or so. This was a 6 alarm fire, and over 12,000 people were asked to evacuate the area.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  9. #9
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Posts
    6,759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Nope, regulator valves, Piping stock and such for the tank farm.
    Must have been when they were setting up the place....... The big question now is, why were they able to set up in a residential/commercial/light industrial area. There are other parts of the city, such as areas zoned heavy industrial, where this kind of business would be more appropriate......

  10. #10
    Prefers Cicero cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520: "the Bronze"; '80s Panasonic road bike (innominate); '97 Raleigh Century: "Rubeus" because it's red, and twice as heavy as a normal bike; blue 90's Peugeot Mackenzie :"Bix" (beaterbike), 2007 green Bike Friday New World Tourist.
    Posts
    8,091
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live about 5.5 km from the propane facility. I slept through the explosion but my wife happened to be awake and said it was incredibly loud and shook the house. We've had thunder the last few days, so I probably heard it, thought "wow, that lightning is close" and went back to sleep.

  11. #11
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    15,958
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Bribery?


    Hey, it happens everywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    Must have been when they were setting up the place....... The big question now is, why were they able to set up in a residential/commercial/light industrial area. There are other parts of the city, such as areas zoned heavy industrial, where this kind of business would be more appropriate......
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  12. #12
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Posts
    6,759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooker View Post
    I live about 5.5 km from the propane facility. I slept through the explosion but my wife happened to be awake and said it was incredibly loud and shook the house. We've had thunder the last few days, so I probably heard it, thought "wow, that lightning is close" and went back to sleep.
    So I am not the only one in the North end of the city, where abouts are you? Maybe we should ride together some time...... PM me if interested....

  13. #13
    don't try this at home. rm -rf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •