Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member RedC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    45 Miles on a Navigator

    I went on my fourth group ride yesterday. Still the only one in the bicycle club not riding a road bike. My bicycle club has been really encouraging and supportive and we are trying to build up C class rides for new riders and/or people who prefer a little slower pace. When I got home I had done 45 miles (4 weeks ago I had never done 25) at 13.7 mph. Not too shabby for a Trek Navigator 2. Couldn't help but thinking the biggest compliment I received came from an older rider who got dropped by the faster group. Apparently he hadn't been riding much lately. He stayed in the leading most of the day and when I fell in beside him toward the end of the ride, he looked over at my bike, shook his head and said "damn! You ride that thing anywhere you want to, don't you." I thought I would move up to a lighter, faster hybrid but I think I'll start looking at road bikes.
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

    Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Posts
    1,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. One more newbie whippersnapper who's kicking my ass.




    Great job, though!

  3. #3
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Rides View Post
    Great. One more newbie whippersnapper who's kicking my ass.




    Great job, though!
    And he's doing it on a Trek Navigator as well.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, Fl
    My Bikes
    Trek Navigator 3.0
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Navigator but I've yet to do more than 20 miles on it.

  5. #5
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden my Worksman cruiser in charity rides before. On those rides, you wind up pretty quickly riding with other people at your own speed, and most of them will be on road bikes. It can be kind of deceptive because it seems like you're keeping up with "the pack" when in fact, 80% of the riders may be miles in front of you, but it's still a neat feeling. Anyhow, it's more about how much you ride and desire than the bike at that point. Yesterday morning, I came in at 14.2 mph average on my odometer at about 43 miles or so, on a fairly flat course. And on the Hotter-n-Hell 100, I think my odometer showed 13.2 mph or so. Those were both with multiple stops that are not factored in.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  6. #6
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedC View Post
    I went on my fourth group ride yesterday. Still the only one in the bicycle club not riding a road bike. My bicycle club has been really encouraging and supportive and we are trying to build up C class rides for new riders and/or people who prefer a little slower pace. When I got home I had done 45 miles (4 weeks ago I had never done 25) at 13.7 mph. Not too shabby for a Trek Navigator 2. Couldn't help but thinking the biggest compliment I received came from an older rider who got dropped by the faster group. Apparently he hadn't been riding much lately. He stayed in the leading most of the day and when I fell in beside him toward the end of the ride, he looked over at my bike, shook his head and said "damn! You ride that thing anywhere you want to, don't you." I thought I would move up to a lighter, faster hybrid but I think I'll start looking at road bikes.
    Sounds very similar to my early experiences. I started with a Trek Navigator (3). After about a year I was starting to do 40+ mile rides and it was starting to be a little painful. Guy at the bikeshop said I was probably outliving the usefulness of a comfort bike and should think about a road bike. I bought a touring road bike that Christmas and it has worked quite well for the last 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  7. #7
    Senior Member RedC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax-Navigator View Post
    I love my Navigator but I've yet to do more than 20 miles on it.

    Have you done any group rides yet? Riding with others forces me to pick up the pace and stretch my limits. BTW my son and grandchildren live in Jacksonville and we're going up in a couple of weeks. Where do you ride? Have you ridden the trail near 95 and 295?
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

    Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

  8. #8
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Raliegh Record Ace, Trek 7300
    Posts
    3,837
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn that is impressive sir.
    Brian | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5 | 2003 Trek 7300 | 2011 Raleigh Record Ace - Steel is real
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, Fl
    My Bikes
    Trek Navigator 3.0
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedC View Post
    Have you done any group rides yet? Riding with others forces me to pick up the pace and stretch my limits. BTW my son and grandchildren live in Jacksonville and we're going up in a couple of weeks. Where do you ride? Have you ridden the trail near 95 and 295?
    No I have not done any group rides yet, normally I just ride around my neighborhood for 10 or 15 miles a day. My neighborhood is very bike friendly so I mostly stay along the beach.
    In a couple weeks I'll be moving up to Virginia Beach for a new job, that is part of the reason why I have not sought out a group to ride with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •