Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Sad end to a cautionary tale (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/474592-sad-end-cautionary-tale.html)

Neil_B 10-08-08 09:41 AM

Sad end to a cautionary tale
 
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) -- A 990-pound (450-kilogram), bedridden man who had appealed on Mexican television for help tackling his weight problem died Tuesday of heart failure, his family said.....

jboyd 10-08-08 12:42 PM

I want to get this out there before the "personal responsibility" police come out in force.

Mental Health can be a big mountain to climb. I do think that ultimately, the outcome of our health belongs to us, but the statement in the article about him losing both his parents this year within a couple weeks of each other is one of those things that can send a person reeling. That is a sad story.

Earlier this year, my best friend of 30 years killed himself. He was a high paid healthcare admin. that made over a couple hundred thou a year and appeared to have the world by the tail, but his suicide note screamed of mental illness. He was great actor.

A healthy head is as important as a healthy body and it is hard to have one if the other is not there. I am a huge advocate of seeking help when the pressure gets to big.

I am not a mental health pro myself, but my wife is a psychologist. I could not afford to see one for an hour a week, so I married one;)

Jay

Indie 10-08-08 01:02 PM

For the last few years I lived in an absolute pigsty of an apartment, because I'd always feel too tired and apathetic to do anything about it. It really felt like a physical inability to get up and work. Now I'm living in an above-ground suite with windows and sunshine and my sweetie (and medication), and it's not a problem anymore.

It's very weird to look back on a period of depression and try to remember what was going through your head, and what kind of feelings you were having that made you act the way you did. It felt like I was being blocked by something I couldn't control. Telling someone to cheer up or snap out of it just does not work, because they already know they should do that, but they don't know how. It's like that part of your brain doesn't function.

CliftonGK1 10-08-08 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indie (Post 7627112)
For the last few years I lived in an absolute pigsty of an apartment, because I'd always feel too tired and apathetic to do anything about it.

Fully understand that one. A few years ago I lost my job, I was dealing with a lot of stress over my divorce (which dragged out for far too long), and for the few weeks before moving across the country to start over I really just gave up on things. I look back and don't understand how, with a functional dishwasher right there, I had a sink full of dirty dishes. The laundry room was 5 steps out the door, but I had piles of clothes all over. I had nothing to do all day long, but couldn't maintain the simplest tasks.
It sneaks up on you, and by the time you look at it and realize that you need to fix it, there's just too much to deal with and it's easier to give up.:( It took a lot for me to get past that point.

Air 10-08-08 04:28 PM

Yeah, true that. I unplugged my computer on Monday and went on a cleaning spree - felt really, really good since I've been a bit down lately.

EasyEd 10-08-08 06:03 PM

It is sad. What a waste, and a shame that he didn't get any mental help. I hope I'm not steering this post off topic, but I've noticed that the physical benifits of cycling are only part of what I get out of it. I feel noticably more healthy emotionaly when I ride frequently.

Air 10-08-08 07:03 PM

A-freakin'-men.

Wogster 10-08-08 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasyEd (Post 7628826)
It is sad. What a waste, and a shame that he didn't get any mental help. I hope I'm not steering this post off topic, but I've noticed that the physical benifits of cycling are only part of what I get out of it. I feel noticably more healthy emotionaly when I ride frequently.

It's interesting, but there is a lot to say for Mind, Body and Spirit health, one without the others, is kinda like a bicycle with Dura-Ace drive train, but 2 wheels, and 5 brakes..... If you have two out of the three healthy, then it's easier to get the last one healthy.

Neil_B 10-08-08 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jboyd (Post 7626952)
I want to get this out there before the "personal responsibility" police come out in force.

Mental Health can be a big mountain to climb. I do think that ultimately, the outcome of our health belongs to us, but the statement in the article about him losing both his parents this year within a couple weeks of each other is one of those things that can send a person reeling. That is a sad story.

Earlier this year, my best friend of 30 years killed himself. He was a high paid healthcare admin. that made over a couple hundred thou a year and appeared to have the world by the tail, but his suicide note screamed of mental illness. He was great actor.

A healthy head is as important as a healthy body and it is hard to have one if the other is not there. I am a huge advocate of seeking help when the pressure gets to big.

I am not a mental health pro myself, but my wife is a psychologist. I could not afford to see one for an hour a week, so I married one;)

Jay

+1. And I'm sorry for your loss, Jay.

BigUgly 10-09-08 08:04 AM

It is amazing how a ride makes you feel. A lot of times I wake up on a Sunday morning still tired but the house is noisy and I can't seem to get my head in the right place to deal with everyone. I am living with 4 females (my wife and 3 daughters). I start getting grumpy and want silence and to get some more sleep. I struggle to make the consience decision to hop on the bike and ride. When I finally decide to go ride, and do, I come back in a much better frame of mind and with a ton more energy. I wish I could start all my mornings with a ride.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 AM.