Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Weekend credit-card tour in NY state this weekend (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/477351-weekend-credit-card-tour-ny-state-weekend.html)

neilfein 10-16-08 08:12 AM

Weekend credit-card tour in NY state this weekend
 
This will be my first tour since Shake, Rattle & Roll over the summer. It's also my first time riding in NY state.

Saturday, 45 miles:

Take the train to Manhattan, ride north (8th ave or the Greenway). Up through Yonkers, joining up with route 9 up through Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown. Check into the hotel, ride to my friends' apartment. My wife will meet up with me there where we have dinner planned. Hotel in Hawthorne for the night.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...008-tour-day-1

Sunday:

Martha and I have breakfast and she heads home. Local streets up to Peekskill and the Bear Mountain Bridge. 9W up through West Point, then 9W and local roads to the Storm King sculpture park. (Maybe I'll do a picnic in the park?) I'll get home on the train, out of Salisbury Mills (a few miles down the road from Storm King).

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...008-tour-day-2

Is there anything cool along the way I might be missing out on?

Neil_B 10-16-08 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilfein (Post 7676192)
This will be my first tour since Shake, Rattle & Roll over the summer. It's also my first time riding in NY state.

Saturday, 45 miles:

Take the train to Manhattan, ride north (8th ave or the Greenway). Up through Yonkers, joining up with route 9 up through Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown. Check into the hotel, ride to my friends' apartment. My wife will meet up with me there where we have dinner planned. Hotel in Hawthorne for the night.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...008-tour-day-1

Sunday:

Martha and I have breakfast and she heads home. Local streets up to Peekskill and the Bear Mountain Bridge. 9W up through West Point, then 9W and local roads to the Storm King sculpture park. (Maybe I'll do a picnic in the park?) I'll get home on the train, out of Salisbury Mills (a few miles down the road from Storm King).

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...008-tour-day-2

Is there anything cool along the way I might be missing out on?

Since you are going "up the river":

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2177

I'm sure they'll reserve a chair just for you. :) Seriously, have a good time. It looks like a fun trip. Bring a camera so we all can enjoy it.

(You may remember on our April tour we passed Graterford, one of Pennsylvania's maximum security residences for involuntary 'guests'.)

neilfein 10-16-08 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Historian (Post 7676712)

Cool looking site, thanks for the link. It crashes IE, I'll try it later from another machine.

Neil_B 10-16-08 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilfein (Post 7676807)
Cool looking site, thanks for the link. It crashes IE, I'll try it later from another machine.

Some of the exhibits sound fun, and might appeal to handymen and craftsmen:

"To make his point, he calls our attention to a particularly nasty-looking shank fashioned from a razor-sharp piece of twisted steel. "Somebody walks past you in the exercise yard, then wooosh!" He makes a sweeping arc with his arm. "Rips your neck wide open."

Sing Sing Prison Museum

Address:
95 Broadway, Ossining, NY [Show Map]
Directions:
From NYC, Sprain Brook Parkway north to Taconic Parkway, exit at Route 133, go west all the way to US 9, then straight across to the Caputo Community Center. Or follow NYC's Broadway north into Westchester County, where it takes on a variety of names but is always US 9. You'll go through Sleepy Hollow country and eventually into Ossining. Go past its Main Street on the left, then take the next left to the Caputo Community Center and its parking lot.
Phone:
914-941-3189

See also the nearby Sleepy Hollow Cemetery and Bridge:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/16892

Sleepy Hollow, New York - Headless Horseman Bridge

Off Route 9 in Sleepy Hollow, you will come to the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. If you follow the main road of the cemetery, you will ride parallel to a stream with a small rapids, and come to a small wooden bridge that townspeople know to be the Headless Horseman Bridge (some say it was on route 9). If you read the Headless Horseman, the path of Ichabod's chase goes down a grassy knoll, across the bridge, and when you make a left, the Old Dutch Church is still visible on the right. The Cemetery has the Van Tassel's graves, along with Washington Irving, the Rockefellers, an Old Dutch Graveyard, The Old Dutch Church, and a lot of other great spots.

jagraham 10-16-08 11:31 AM

Have a safe and enjoyable journey. Hugs to you and Martha. I'm at a hammered dulcimer workshop this weekend, and if I can break away, I'm going to explore a few miles of the Allegheny River Trail near Emlenton, PA.

neilfein 10-16-08 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagraham (Post 7677355)
Have a safe and enjoyable journey. Hugs to you and Martha. I'm at a hammered dulcimer workshop this weekend, and if I can break away, I'm going to explore a few miles of the Allegheny River Trail near Emlenton, PA.

Is the dulcimer hammered or the musician? :p

jagraham 10-17-08 07:35 AM

It's held at a Christian camp, so the dulcimer better be the only thing hammered there. :-p

Neil_B 10-17-08 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagraham (Post 7677355)
Have a safe and enjoyable journey. Hugs to you and Martha. I'm at a hammered dulcimer workshop this weekend, and if I can break away, I'm going to explore a few miles of the Allegheny River Trail near Emlenton, PA.

And let me guess, on the trail you are going to "drop the hammer?" :)

neilfein 10-17-08 09:49 AM

:rolleyes:

Not to be picky, but let's cut short this string of puns, give it a rest!

(We need a snare drum smily.)

Neil_B 10-17-08 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilfein (Post 7682988)
:rolleyes:

Not to be picky, but let's cut short this string of puns, give it a rest!

(We need a snare drum smily.)

And your post was to be the coda to the thread?

neilfein 10-17-08 10:17 AM

Gurgle

Tom Stormcrowe 10-17-08 11:19 AM

http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/i...es/RimShot.gif


One "Rimshot", as requested.

neilfein 10-19-08 09:21 PM

Did the first day more or less as planned, but the hills were real tough. I decided to severely scale back riding for the next day, figuring that I wouldn't be able to hack the 1000+ feet of climbing over the Appalachians the next day. (Lack of hill training, etc, etc.) That turned out to be good decision. The 8 mile recovery ride from Ossining to Sleepy Hollow was very, very tough - harder than the previous day, and the hills weren't even as bad.

That aside, I had a lot of fun and I'd do it again (with more preparation). Lotsa good stories, pics and a full report soon.

Neil_B 10-19-08 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilfein (Post 7696027)
Did the first day more or less as planned, but the hills were real tough. I decided to severely scale back riding for the next day, figuring that I wouldn't be able to hack the 1000+ feet of climbing over the Appalachians the next day. (Lack of hill training, etc, etc.) That turned out to be good decision. The 8 mile recovery ride from Ossining to Sleepy Hollow was very, very tough - harder than the previous day, and the hills weren't even as bad.

That aside, I had a lot of fun and I'd do it again (with more preparation). Lotsa good stories, pics and a full report soon.

Congratulations. Did you visit the cemetery? Washington Irving is buried there.

And did you see Sing-Sing?

neilfein 10-19-08 10:54 PM

Yes and yes, although I didn't see the prison exhibit.

b_young 10-20-08 06:31 AM

Cool ride. Are you still on the bent or are you sitting a little higher up these days?

neilfein 10-20-08 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_young (Post 7697136)
Cool ride. Are you still on the bent or are you sitting a little higher up these days?

Exqueeze me? I've never ridden a bent (aside from trying a friend's recumbent trike once for maybe 5 minutes).

b_young 10-20-08 07:08 AM

I'm sorry, I thought I saw an avatar with you on a bent for a while. It must have been someone else. My bad. I was only asking because my bro just got a bent and I was thinking about trying it for a mini tour.

I am still getting chills thinking about riding through Sleep Hollow this time of the year.

neilfein 10-20-08 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_young (Post 7697244)
I'm sorry, I thought I saw an avatar with you on a bent for a while. It must have been someone else. My bad. I was only asking because my bro just got a bent and I was thinking about trying it for a mini tour.

I am still getting chills thinking about riding through Sleep Hollow this time of the year.

Oh, no sweat. Sleepy Hollow is indeed a little bit creepy, although the people there are friendly and helpful to a touring cyclist asking for directions.

Tom, any thoughts on 'bent touring?

Neil_B 10-20-08 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_young (Post 7697244)
I'm sorry, I thought I saw an avatar with you on a bent for a while. It must have been someone else. My bad. I was only asking because my bro just got a bent and I was thinking about trying it for a mini tour.

I am still getting chills thinking about riding through Sleep Hollow this time of the year.

Neil F. has a photo of himself pushing me on a trike. Perhaps that's what you saw.

jagraham 10-20-08 07:43 AM

Well, my riding went bust. We jammed until 3:30am on Saturday, workshop began at 10. We only lasted until 2am on Sunday. I came home and caught up on sleep.

Sounds like you had a great time. Can't wait for the pictures.

neilfein 10-20-08 07:45 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/...20d6895456.jpg
In Sleepy Hollow cemetery

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/...762890c6b8.jpg
Washington Irving's grave

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/...08f18a86df.jpg
Even though I didn't bike to Storm King, the four of us drove over for the morning. I got a ton of cool pictures. This one is "Mozart's Birthday" by Mark de Suvero.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/...91e9384d75.jpg
The last section of the Old Croton Aqueduct trail I was able to find.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/...4152eaa606.jpg
Sing Sing prison facility, Ossining, NY. I ended up here when I was searching for where the Old Croton Aqueduct train might continue. Needless to say, it's not here.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/...f491f436d7.jpg
The Headless Horseman statue in Sleepy Hollow, NY. This was the end of my riding for the weekend.

More pix here, including a bazillion pictures of Storm King sculpture park. (Storm King isn't properly part of the tour, since we drove over on Sunday morning and then back so I could bike south, but the place is amazingly photogenic.)

a quickr pickr post

Neil_B 10-21-08 09:03 AM

The Washington Irving headstone doesn't mention anything about his being a writer, so obviously Edward DeVere, Earl of Oxford, wrote the Irving canon. :) Sorry, I couldn't resist mocking those poor deluded Oxfordians and their sorry, soggy 'arguments.'

Thanks again for the photos, Neil!

Neil_B 10-21-08 10:07 AM

Suggestion for your next ride, Neil, and one that's close to home for you:

Visit the Martian landing site in Grover's Mill, NJ, just south of Princeton. This weekend is the 70th anniversary of the Mercury Theater "War of the Worlds" broadcast that caused panic in many parts of the US. There's a water tower in Grovers Mill that some radio listeners shot at thinking it was one of the Martian tripods, and a statue at the local park to mark the landing site.

I was going to do this ride myself, but I'll be at Green Lane this weekend. I'll listen to the 1938 radio broadcast on CD, however.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 PM.