Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Wow, My Bike Has Changed Aaaaaaaah Bunch!

    Looking at an old pic my bike caught my attention. The pic on the left (all blue) is My Lemond when I bought it back in April 05. The frame was replaced with a warranty replacement last April after the original failed. Since then I have had to replace several components. Just an idea of how many part changes are involved in cycling. Maybe a note to the newbies of what is to come! Everything replaced was because it need it, not for show. The things involved in keeping a bike in operation.


    Only original parts left are:
    handlebars
    stem
    seatpost
    brifters
    rear derailleur
    brake calipers
    pedals
    -----------------------------
    Parts replaced:
    Front rim
    rear rim
    Front hub
    rear hub
    spokes
    front derailleur
    frame/fork
    saddle
    rear cogset
    chain
    crankset
    bottom bracket
    brake pads
    all cables
    Bar tape
    tires
    tubes
    headset

    Looks a little different don't it?

    Anybody else have major changes? Cause you had ta' or wanted ta'?
    Mine were all had ta's!






    BEFORE AND AFTER!

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,514
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much Improved.

  3. #3
    Senior Member racethenation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    2007 Schwinn Fastback Race
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kind of like the story of George Washington's hatchett. They still have it, but it has worn through several handles and a couple of heads by now.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is pretty close to how it was after I built it. Tape is changed, wheels are changed, had to replace the cassette and the chain a few times. But that's it.
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  5. #5
    Grammar Cop Condorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Papa Smurf's Lair
    My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spokes, tubes, and a tire. All the rest is original.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Essex CT
    My Bikes
    1 Giant and a shed full of Treks
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racethenation View Post
    That's kind of like the story of George Washington's hatchett. They still have it, but it has worn through several handles and a couple of heads by now.

    WOW! this place has more quotable quotes than any other board I've ever been on.

  7. #7
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Condorita View Post
    Spokes, tubes, and a tire. All the rest is original.
    Only thing that has changed on your bike is YOU!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chino, California
    My Bikes
    Felt F1,Felt FA, Fuji Club LE and Specialized Allez
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only things original on my bike the handlebars, carbon fork, and the headset. The frame was a warranty replacement. Here's a pic of my '05 Felt F80 with the Tiagra/105 rear 9 speed group and the Neuvation M28 Aero wheels that I added in place of the original Alex DA22s that came with it:


    Now here is what it looks like now with the new frame, Selle saddle, 105 10 speed group, Dura Ace crank, Easton 130stem and Velocity Deep Vs. Still not too fond of the red eventhough everyone else seems to like it better than the dark pewter F80 frame:

    Last edited by terbennett; 10-23-08 at 10:16 PM.

  9. #9
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,328
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you even call it the same bike after you've replaced the frame/fork and wheels? It looks awesome, and I like the yellow/blue fade much better than the original version; but isn't calling it the same bike kinda like me putting my steering wheel, seat, and transmission in a new Jeep and calling it the same car?

    I've only replaced the front wheel, chainring, cassette and saddle on my bike... so far.
    New brakes should arrive on Friday.
    I'm tempted to start replacing what I can with silver/chrome instead of black: (seatpost, stem, rims, fenders, bars, rack.)
    I should be in bicycle rehab for this level of addiction.

  10. #10
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See it depends on the bike for me... Some are mostly original and some are far from. It's crazy!!

    My winter beater is all original except for the front suspension, stem, handlebars, and left shifter/brake combo, pedals and tires of course. (1991 Haro)

    My main commuter road is also mostly original. The rear rim, tires, pedals is all that has been changed, however front rim upgrade is coming soon. (2002 Schwinn)

    My full suspension is.. ummmmm... Well it still has the original handlebars, shifters, brake levers. Everything else has been change ... some MANY MANY times (1996 Schwinn)

    Those are the main rides....
    Last edited by funrover; 10-22-08 at 07:13 PM.

  11. #11
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post

    Still not too fond of the red eventhough everyone else seems to like it better than the dark pewter F80 frame:
    I'm a dark over red lover myself! I like the dark color but still nice set up!

  12. #12
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    Can you even call it the same bike after you've replaced the frame/fork and wheels? It looks awesome, and I like the yellow/blue fade much better than the original version; but isn't calling it the same bike kinda like me putting my steering wheel, seat, and transmission in a new Jeep and calling it the same car?

    Consensus was it's a different bike. But I like to think.............

  13. #13
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by funrover View Post
    See it depends on the bike for me...
    Shall I go thru all 8 individually?




    Just anudder angle!

  14. #14
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL that's why I took the top 3

  15. #15
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,328
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Shall I go thru all 8 individually?
    Nice! Someday I'll have an awesome stable full of bikes. I get so jealous every time I see pix of someone's spare room, living room, garage or barn just stuffed full of bikes.

  16. #16
    Senior Member 1bluetrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    eastern wa.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. If it will help you, I would be glad to take some of your bikes off your hands.
    Join the fight to stop Diabetes! You can help improve the lives of those living with this disease!Sponsor me in the 2012 Tour de Cure in Redmond Washington!


    http://main.diabetes.org/goto/ericsalinas

  17. #17
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    Nice! Someday I'll have an awesome stable full of bikes. I get so jealous every time I see pix of someone's spare room, living room, garage or barn just stuffed full of bikes.

    Nice when the kids are all 27-22 years old. ALL GONE!...3 bedrooms to ourselves so had to let my bikes sleep in one! But the tandem is next to our bed. One of those "does not play well with others"! .............Won't fit

  18. #18
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluetrek View Post
    Hey guys, admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. If it will help you, I would be glad to take some of your bikes off your hands.

    If you lived close, I'd give you one. But must be local so that I can monitor the adoption!

  19. #19
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by funrover View Post
    See it depends on the bike for me... Some are mostly original and some are far from. It's crazy!!

    My winter beater is all original except for the front suspension, stem, handlebars, and left shifter/brake combo, pedals and tires of course. (1991 Haro)
    Pics of the Haro please! I have one from around '91-'92.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  20. #20
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Nice when the kids are all 27-22 years old. ALL GONE!...3 bedrooms to ourselves so had to let my bikes sleep in one! But the tandem is next to our bed. One of those "does not play well with others"! .............Won't fit
    Sheesh... reminds me of one of those people that are discovered with 50 cats in the house! Is there a bicycle humaine society we can call to "rescue" some of those poor, neglected, orphan bikes?

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  21. #21
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Sheesh... reminds me of one of those people that are discovered with 50 cats in the house! Is there a bicycle humaine society we can call to "rescue" some of those poor, neglected, orphan bikes?
    Oh, none are neglected. All are immaculately clean and treated well except that one that won't quit playing in the mud!

  22. #22
    Senior Member 1bluetrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    eastern wa.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    If you lived close, I'd give you one. But must be local so that I can monitor the adoption!
    Yabut isn't long distance the next best thing to being there??
    Join the fight to stop Diabetes! You can help improve the lives of those living with this disease!Sponsor me in the 2012 Tour de Cure in Redmond Washington!


    http://main.diabetes.org/goto/ericsalinas

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Port Jefferson, NY
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Beanz, may I ask what kind of stand you use to keep all the bikes standing? I assume it's something simple like a bunch of the wheel holder type things, but I was hoping you have a suggestion as to which one to get.

    I have four bikes in my 1br apartment, but I've got a good amount of scuff marks on the walls from my bar tape or sometimes tires rubbing against the walls. I stupidly bought one of those vertical wall stand things thinking I'd use it to keep the bikes off the ground, but it pinches the derailleur /brake cables on the top tube, so I never use it, and I prefer having them where they don't have far to fall. Also, I want to reclaim some wall space!

  24. #24
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crast View Post
    Mr. Beanz, may I ask what kind of stand you use to keep all the bikes standing? I assume it's something simple like a bunch of the wheel holder type things, but I was hoping you have a suggestion as to which one to get.

    I have four bikes in my 1br apartment, but I've got a good amount of scuff marks on the walls from my bar tape or sometimes tires rubbing against the walls. I stupidly bought one of those vertical wall stand things thinking I'd use it to keep the bikes off the ground, but it pinches the derailleur /brake cables on the top tube, so I never use it, and I prefer having them where they don't have far to fall. Also, I want to reclaim some wall space!


    You can see in the picture (also at top of thread) the stands I use. It has four legs and a slot inthe upright bar where the crank arm slides in to be supported upright. One of the local shops had a big can full of them. Nothing new or fancy, just a bunch of ugly stands, but they work! Paid about $5 each.

    I have seen some racks in the forums made form PCV tubing. Formed the same as a bike rack like those at a grocery market. Looked nice, I wouldn't mind having one!
    Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 10-23-08 at 03:26 PM.

  25. #25
    Me and the cat... Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,421
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny - I bought my road bike in 2002. Snce then I have gradually replaced this and that and I think now the only thing original is the frame and the crank (although that is my next purchase). My drive train was replaced, the handlebars, head set, bottom bracket, wheels, seat post, pedals etc (such as normal maintainance stuff like chains, bar tape etc). Nice thing about investing in a modestly priced but good frame, it can be upgraded. I bought what I could on sale, bought the wheels (custom built $1000 new) very slightly used for $400; so for about $3000 I got a $5000 bike.

    Now... I'm looking for a new frame to replace my old one. I want custom Ti. I plan on transferring everything over. Now if I can just come up with (in these hard economic times) the money... I'm golden!
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •