Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Rabbit Habbit! Jerry in So IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Johnston City, IL
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus 08
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    going under the knife this morning

    Well, I finally got in to see the ankle specialist, that the insurance would pay for, yesterday. He does seem to be a good local doctor and comes reccomended by a few pt friends. Here is a link to my problems: http://www.mdmercy.com/footandankle/...ochondral.html

    He took me over my MRI and report line by line and translated it into English for me. He had an opening come up for today! Seems another patient had to canceal due to sinus infection. So I went ahead and took it. If not, I'm limping around for another eight weeks and missing work and just feeling like crap.

    Funny thing, my ankle doesn't hurt this morning! Too late, still going through with it.

    This is my last ride for the next three weeks. But the doctor says I should be back to work and biking, on restrictions and light duty, in about three weeks. I'm pretty stoked about that, and so is my boss. Its the holidays and we start Thanksgiving prep next week. A half a ton of turkey roast, eighty sheets of pumkin pie, a ton of cornbread dressing, and 75 gallons of gravy doesn't just cook itself. Its allot of work feeding 1925 guys who don't play well with others.

    I'm heading out to bike along the fields on the edge of town for one last ride for the next three weeks. I get a little spooky riding along this time of year on a singletrack in the dark. I have my headlamp on my helmet, leftover from coonhunting, but its still keeps me on edge. I read allot of Steven King, but what scares me are the damn deer! They have trotted a nice singletrack path for me that goes about four and a half miles that is allot of fun. But sometimes they are still around when I come through. I about tagged two nice forked bucks last week. They were rubbing a little and I was watching a squirrel....it could have been ugly, are at least widllife harrassment! Thinking about getting those deer alert things you mount on your cars bumper for the Hardrock!

    I've planned on swapping out the good stuff from all of the Hardrocks and putting it on my favorite. I like the 22" Grey Ghost frame the best, so I'm going to tune up the 19" Red Rocket, a convert it to a SS for the Oldest Princess to ride singletrack with.

    I also went by and ordered some books from the library to read yesterday. A few about the bike culture and commuting and whatnot. Should keep me sane for awhile.

    Well, I'll check in later tonight, after everything calms down and wears off. Its an out patient surgery. I go in at 8:45am. See yea.

    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirels and such....

  2. #2
    VoodooChile zoste's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Posts
    1,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, Jerry

    BTW - I seem to remember reading somewhere that those deer thingies don't really work...and they don't start whistling until you hit around 30 MPH...kinda tough speed to maintain on dirt, eh? I ride a lot in the early morning and have had a couple of close calls with deer and I'm riding on suburban streets!
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

  3. #3
    Triathlon in my future??? flip18436572's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southwest Iowa
    My Bikes
    Junk, that is why I am here. :-)
    Posts
    2,193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, and it sounds like you have a good plan to follow. Keep your head up and thinking positive and follow all of the Physical Therapy information. PT makes a HUGE difference.
    2007 Jamis Ventura Comp
    2006 Jamis Explorer 2.0
    2000 Specialized Hardrock (bought used)
    Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun

  4. #4
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck!
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jgjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    09 Specialized Sequoia, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck! Heal fast.

  6. #6
    Senior Member racethenation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    2007 Schwinn Fastback Race
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God luck withe the surgery! I hop that you heal fast.

    The deer things actually work very well. They are essentially just a dog whistle that goes on the front of the car. After years of growing of in the Mississippi countryside where the deer out number the dogs, I still have them on my car. You are right about the speed. I don't remeber the exact speed, but I doubt you could maintain it on a single track.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoste View Post
    Good luck, Jerry

    BTW - I seem to remember reading somewhere that those deer thingies don't really work...and they don't start whistling until you hit around 30 MPH...kinda tough speed to maintain on dirt, eh? I ride a lot in the early morning and have had a couple of close calls with deer and I'm riding on suburban streets!

  7. #7
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Heal quickly, Jerry!

  8. #8
    Tilting with windmills txvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas 'Burbs
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck, all be it belated!

    Here's hoping for a quick recovery and return to the bike.

  9. #9
    Dwindling Roadie
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad8 R1000, '80's Cannondale (The Beast), Diamondback Topanga Hardtail MTB
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, Jerry! I hope you are able to get back on the bike soon!

  10. #10
    Downtown Spanky Brown bautieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pennsyltucky
    My Bikes
    07 Raliegh Grand Sport 98ish Mongoose Manuever
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and a speedy recovery!

  11. #11
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jerry - Good luck with the surgery. By the time your read this you should be back home lyimg around.. I hope youa have good drugs and are recovering nicely!

  12. #12
    Senior Member 1bluetrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    eastern wa.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with the surgery Jerry, hope you heal up quick. I had surgery last month and I'm doing fine on the bike now. Had an MRI on my back yesterday, so I'm a bit nervous about that. I think I better get in as much riding as I can.
    Join the fight to stop Diabetes! You can help improve the lives of those living with this disease!Sponsor me in the 2012 Tour de Cure in Redmond Washington!


    http://main.diabetes.org/goto/ericsalinas

  13. #13
    Rabbit Habbit! Jerry in So IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Johnston City, IL
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus 08
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the surgery went great, according to the doctor. I wish I had eleceted for the nerve block while I was knocked out. It felt like one of those dentist shots, the one where they are trying to find the nerve. Anyways, its numb and should be for the first day. GREAT DRUGS ALSO!

    The doctor told my wife it went better than he planned. He is going to start me on pt a week early!

    Its hard as hell walking with these crutches! I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm still kinds of woozy.

    I'm just going to lay back and read some tonight. My head hurts sitting up too long.

    Thanks for all the well wishes, thoughts, and prayers.

    I have to say this....my wife said the doctor was "impressed" at my legs, low heat rate, and blood pressure for the size I am. She told him I was a bike "freak" and that is what has changed my stats. He told her to keep up the riding, when I'm released. Well, when I awoke from this last nap, she told me what the doctor said and that my Mom had called to check up on me. She told her what the doctor said and Mom is sending a check towards for my new bike! Now I should be able to get it at Christmas! But my Mom has always been there for me. Now to decide between the LHT, Raleigh Sorjurn, or Fuji Touring.

    Well,I'm getting that "going to throw up" feeling, so I'm going back to bed.

    Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry in So IL; 10-24-08 at 07:16 PM. Reason: woozy fingers
    I'll be needing that for squirels and such....

  14. #14
    another cat...FAB! stevesurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    1st star to the right...
    My Bikes
    Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news: hope you feel better...plenty of fluids!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,875
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it went so well!
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry in So IL View Post
    Well, the surgery went great, according to the doctor. I wish I had eleceted for the nerve block while I was knocked out. It felt like one of those dentist shots, the one where they are trying to find the nerve. Anyways, its numb and should be for the first day. GREAT DRUGS ALSO!

    The doctor told my wife it went better than he planned. He is going to start me on pt a week early!

    Its hard as hell walking with these crutches! I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm still kinds of woozy.

    I'm just going to lay back and read some tonight. My head hurts sitting up too long.

    Thanks for all the well wishes, thoughts, and prayers.

    I have to say this....my wife said the doctor was "impressed" at my legs, low heat rate, and blood pressure for the size I am. She told him I was a bike "freak" and that is what has changed my stats. He told her to keep up the riding, when I'm released. Well, when I awoke from this last nap, she told me what the doctor said and that my Mom had called to check up on me. She told her what the doctor said and Mom is sending a check towards for my new bike! Now I should be able to get it at Christmas! But my Mom has always been there for me. Now to decide between the LHT, Raleigh Sorjurn, or Fuji Touring.

    Well,I'm getting that "going to throw up" feeling, so I'm going back to bed.

    Jerry
    One thing to remember, ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR DOCTORS INSTRUCTIONS It goes in the following order, surgeon, physical therapist, your regular doctor, your employers doctor. It's hard for guys to admit they are not invincible, things need to heal, so between your surgeon your PT and doctor make sure they keep in communication. When I was in PT, the PTist knew when I had an appointment with the surgeon, and he would write a note, I would take the note, give it to the surgeon, he would write a note back to the PTist which I would give to him on my next visit. It was between the surgeon and PT to decide when I should return to work, and to what limits there were to that work. Make sure you get that in writing, and keep copies employers have a nasty habit of losing things when convenient. I find the easiest way, is to take the documentation in to the employer and ask them to make a copy for you. I find that if they know you have a copy they are less likely to lose theirs.

  17. #17
    Senior Member jboyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Giant "Rainier"
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear, Jerry.

    Give me a shout when you get your pass from the Dr. and we can hook up for some peddlin.

    Jay
    http://www.homeairdirect.com Hey! It's What I Do

  18. #18
    Tilting with windmills txvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas 'Burbs
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news there Jerry. It's always great when the doc is very pleased with how it went, lol.

    Sounds like you can spend some time shopping for bike schwag too. That's always a plus!

  19. #19
    bcc
    bcc is offline
    Large Member bcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canterbury, UK
    My Bikes
    2008 Cannondale Bad Boy 700
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it went well. Naturally we'll need photos when you have your new steed

  20. #20
    Rabbit Habbit! Jerry in So IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Johnston City, IL
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus 08
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    One thing to remember, ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR DOCTORS INSTRUCTIONS It goes in the following order, surgeon, physical therapist, your regular doctor, your employers doctor. It's hard for guys to admit they are not invincible, things need to heal, so between your surgeon your PT and doctor make sure they keep in communication. When I was in PT, the PTist knew when I had an appointment with the surgeon, and he would write a note, I would take the note, give it to the surgeon, he would write a note back to the PTist which I would give to him on my next visit. It was between the surgeon and PT to decide when I should return to work, and to what limits there were to that work. Make sure you get that in writing, and keep copies employers have a nasty habit of losing things when convenient. I find the easiest way, is to take the documentation in to the employer and ask them to make a copy for you. I find that if they know you have a copy they are less likely to lose theirs.
    Will do!

    I just believe the pain I was in compared to how well my ankle foot seels now. It like night and day. But I will take it easy and not push anything.

    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirels and such....

  21. #21
    I'm Rad. vXhanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you are recovering well. I agree with Wogsterca about the instructions... I work in health care and see the consequences of "cutting therapy short".

    On the subject of deer though, could you use that canned air horn and tape it to your front handlebars? If you're going too fast though, it might defeat the purpose.

    V

  22. #22
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry - totally missed this post somehow, but glad to se eyou came through! Hope everything heals up, take it easy - it's a good time of year for it. Once healed, you'll probably be dropping all of us!

  23. #23
    Senior Member jgjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    09 Specialized Sequoia, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the successful surgery. Heal up now. Best of luck.

  24. #24
    Double Naught Spy TrekDen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB
    Posts
    1,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear everything went well. A speedy recovery to you my friend.

  25. #25
    CCR
    CCR is offline
    mouthbreather CCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    So Illinois
    My Bikes
    all of them
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deer whistles !!! - maybe for character, but usually 2 out of 3 deer hit cars i look at for work have them on, im not sayin they dont work, im just saying they sell a lot of deer whistles !

    hope your quick on the mend !

    btw - you work in marion ?
    i have a bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •